Phantis Forums

Suggested Call Ups, Starting 11

Objectively - Tzolis hasn't played in months for a relegation bound team who has nothing to play for.  Not saying he is not talented, but you are responsible for your choices.  Fortounis has only played a few minutes for OLY since his return, can you trust a roster spot to him? Manolas has barely played since December.  So OLY pays all this money (for Greek soccer, it was significant) and doesn't play him or maybe he is hurt. 

I am not saying these players shouldn't be playing, what I am saying is I understand why they weren't called up.  From the 25 players selected, I guarantee you most of us would agree on 22 spots.  We are talking about three spots and we say his selections stink? You have to give the new coach a chance. With JVS it wasn't so much his player selection, it was his insistence on using Bakasetas and his substitutions. 

• Like it 4

15 hours ago, Dean97 said:

I’ve seen Tzolis play some games in the EPL when he’s been given a chance and he didn’t put a foot wrong. He played nice passes and got into goal scoring situations and gave his teammates good opportunities to score. He also tracked back a lot too. It’s not his fault. Norwich are just crap. We got a player like Tzolis who is still young and full of potential and really is a rare player to have for Greece. In my opinion he’s our best winger/attacker. Just like Alexandropoulos is our best CM in my opinion. Fortounis on his day is our best CAM. I agree with @J1078 Fortounis is still our best CAM even at 70%.

The call ups are all wrong. This is the same team that JVS picked. They are choosing the same failed players again. Nothing will change. We have Nikolaou who is always playing in the Serie A but they rather go with Tzavellas who is not even wanted at his club. Vasiliadis plays Bundesliga every week but never gets a chance. Manolas and Siovas are ignored again. They are not picking the best players…

Great post! Who knows what Poyet is thinking. I thought Manolas was going to be called up for the NL matches? He better top this group! 

• Like it 2

20 hours ago, kbxk508 said:

Tzolis is just 20. Has enormous potential, but the reality is when given the chances at Norwich, his performances weren't good enough. 

He needs to be managed well, and in hindsight would have been better to go a different league where he could get more playing time, and develop his game. But when PL comes knocking, and the signing fee is lucrative for a 19 y.o., it's a life changing opportunity and you can't say No. Saying that, we don't know what is going behind the scenes, if he's happy or not. Probably not, as he is not getting much opportunity to play with a club that's relegated. I am certain, that Norwich believed they had a gem and that the price they were picking him up for was a bargain.

If you look at Liverpool, they bought Tzimikas for a similar price (I think it was a bit more, 12-13k) and he has been there for nearly 2 years, and while not a regualr starter, getting more game time now, he's defenitely improved, definitely happy and enjoying his time at Liverpool, and I would say his market value has gone up, or is expected to go up over the summer break.

You’re right. But Tsimikas is arguably on the best team in the world while tzolis can’t play for a team that’s terrible. 

• Like it 1

9 hours ago, Brklyngrk said:

Objectively - Tzolis hasn't played in months for a relegation bound team who has nothing to play for.  Not saying he is not talented, but you are responsible for your choices.  Fortounis has only played a few minutes for OLY since his return, can you trust a roster spot to him? Manolas has barely played since December.  So OLY pays all this money (for Greek soccer, it was significant) and doesn't play him or maybe he is hurt. 

I am not saying these players shouldn't be playing, what I am saying is I understand why they weren't called up.  From the 25 players selected, I guarantee you most of us would agree on 22 spots.  We are talking about three spots and we say his selections stink? You have to give the new coach a chance. With JVS it wasn't so much his player selection, it was his insistence on using Bakasetas and his substitutions. 

There’s no harm in calling up players like Fortounis and Tzolis. At least start them on the bench and bring them on. We’ve called up worse players in the past and have put them on the bench or even worse started them. Greece needs to play its best players possible. We are not Spain, Italy or Germany where we can get away with leaving out some of our best players. 

It’s not just 3 spots. It’s more than that. Kourbelis, Bouchalakis, Bakasetas, Rota, Tzavellas are not needed and have failed the team. Rota ok hasn’t been so bad but we have better. We don’t need 4 keepers also. 2-3 would be better. Players like Goutas, Papanikolaou are ok and have played every week but we can definitely do better than those players too. There’s a handful of players playing in better leagues that didn’t get picked like Vasiliadis, Kyriakopoulos, Nikolaou, Lykogiannis. Ok Tsimikas and Giannoulis are our best LBs but Nikolaou should be ahead of Tzavellas and Vasiliadis ahead of Papanikolaou and Kourbelis. 

Also even players who do deserve to be there like Pavlidis haven’t done well for Greece. So should he be given another chance again to start, I don’t think so. Only Tsimikas and Mavropanos who play at the highest level and play mostly well for Greece deserve to start because they do well for both club and country. Vlachodimos too. The rest are either not good enough for Greece and have been given loads of chances or haven’t been given proper chances like Alexandropoulos or Fountas who can give something better to the team. 

You need to change things around instead of going back to the same old failed things. We wasted the friendlies on the same players. We now have no choice but to see the same failed players again in more crucial matches like nations league where getting first is a must and is another chance of qualifying for a major tournament. The team is run by crooks and there is no integrity when it comes to the national team.

• Like it 1

Man it’s really tough not having sokratis, Manolas and siovas. Our defense was the rock of our team but times have changed and I guess it’s time to move on. Our midfield has always been the problem but at this point we are going to have to be more attacking cause we can’t rely on a solid defense anymore. 

• Like it 1

Alexandropoulos and now Nikolau, along with Siopis are interesting additions. The future of the midfield is starting to show some shoots. CDM's aplenty there.

Another CM or two (like Galanopoulos) would be great to have come through. The Gaffer can call for Vasiliadis as a starting point.

• Like it 1

On 5/22/2022 at 11:35 PM, Brklyngrk said:

From the 25 players selected, I guarantee you most of us would agree on 22 spots. 

Yes, I agree with that

I would have selected Saliakas, Nicolaou and Kiriakopoulos over Kotsiras, one of Goutas / Tzavellas and one of Dioudis / Paschalakis.

If Baldock was available, I would take him as the team's starting RB.

Who's our captain? Bakasetas or Mantalos

• Like it 1

After all these years talking him up, I would like to finally see him play...(Baldock).

Tzavellas/Dioudis - I don't get. Would have picked Saliakas and one of the other two. 

Captain I guess it depends on who starts from them.  One of them will start.

• Like it 1

20 minutes ago, Brklyngrk said:

After all these years talking him up, I would like to finally see him play...(Baldock).

Tzavellas/Dioudis - I don't get. Would have picked Saliakas and one of the other two. 

Captain I guess it depends on who starts from them.  One of them will start.

Tzavellas I don’t understand why he got the call up. Also why pick 4 goalkeepers? Vlachodimos is going to play every game. 

On 5/26/2022 at 3:31 PM, Ellada2004 said:

Also why pick 4 goalkeepers? Vlachodimos is going to play every game. 

Because we play 4 games. It is like a Euro or WC where you play 3 (or more) games. You never know. Besides that: 4 keepers can train with 2 pairs, and that is way better. 

• Like it 1

1 hour ago, Dutch Eagle said:

Because we play 4 games. It is like a Euro or WC where you play 3 (or more) games. You never know. Besides that: 4 keepers can train with 2 pairs, and that is way better. 

Ok didn’t think about that. I just was thinking vlachodimos will play all the matches barring any injury so why have four goalies. 

2 hours ago, Brklyngrk said:

That’s good news. Let’s see how Baldock performs for us. At least Poyet now has 3 natural right backs for this window. I will give him credit for that.  The last coach would only call up one. 

• Like it 1

A 30 year old defender in englands second division. Tell me you wanna play internationally but can’t make England. Without telling me you wanna play internationally and can’t make England. Lol

Tzolis has been called up to the NT for the NL matches. He will replace Fountas who is out with back spasms. I was looking forward to seeing Fountas who has been in good form. Injuries always get this team, especially in the last few qualification campaigns.

3 hours ago, Ellada2004 said:

Tzolis has been called up to the NT for the NL matches. He will replace Fountas who is out with back spasms. I was looking forward to seeing Fountas who has been in good form. Injuries always get this team, especially in the last few qualification campaigns.

I just read that.. I wanted to see Fountas as well I was looking forward to it.. This team is made out of glass it never fails. Guys could be healthy all year and the minute they get called up for the national team they get injured and can’t play…

• Like it 1

1 hour ago, J1078 said:

I just read that.. I wanted to see Fountas as well I was looking forward to it.. This team is made out of glass it never fails. Guys could be healthy all year and the minute they get called up for the national team they get injured and can’t play…

It’s ridiculous. Euro 2020 qualifying we missed a few key players due to injury. Fortounis missed the final 6 matches & I believe  had we had him in the lineup Greece would have over taken Finland for 2nd spot. I just hope we don’t see key players out when we start Euro qualifying. 

• Like it 1

2 hours ago, J1078 said:

It’s Fountas lol. I don’t even think the teams were playing know who he is. It’s really not even close to being a big deal. Like I said it’s not lewandowski, not Messi. Not Ronaldo. It’s fountas. Lol

9 hours ago, J1078 said:

I agree, I would’ve liked to have seen both Fountas and Tzolis in the same 11.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Jimmyp said:

It’s Fountas lol. I don’t even think the teams were playing know who he is. It’s really not even close to being a big deal. Like I said it’s not lewandowski, not Messi. Not Ronaldo. It’s fountas. Lol

I think you missed my point.... What players does Greece have that are like "Ronaldo and Messi"? that's besides the point, I was referring to this happening to our NT for the last 5 years with injuries regardless of the player. And yes i was looking forward to seeing Fountas play who has been in really good form.. 

• Like it 3