Suggested Call Ups, Starting 11

1 hour ago, skinny said:

Vlachodimos 

Baldock Manolas Mavropanos Tsimikas 

Alexandropoulos Galanopoulos

Masouras Fetfatzidis Tzolis 

Douvikas 

this would make for a great team

No kidding, I would love this team (although Fortounis instead of Fetfa?) 

• Like it 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

He is currently injured, but before that he had lost his starting place and was only playing off the bench and in the Europa League. 

Not sure what the reason is, if him trying to force a move to Olympiakos in the off-season has contributed or not. He did start a few games after that and then lost his spot in the team, so it seems he had one or two performances that Spalletti wasn't happy with. 

• Like it 1

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, kbxk508 said:

K. Fortounis

He’s back training and is expected to start playing for the B side in Jan. He became a father and is determined to get back to his best.

NT could do with his qualities and skill.   Hoping he can comeback.

He should be a big part of the NT going forward, i would even make him the captain of the team when he's back and healthy. There is no question he is one of the most talented players Greece have.

• Like it 1

10 hours ago, J1078 said:

He should be a big part of the NT going forward, i would even make him the captain of the team when he's back and healthy. There is no question he is one of the most talented players Greece have.

Amazing footballer! Its such ashamed he got injured again and we really missed having him in our wcup campaign he is a match winner and I think if the NT had him in the matches especially with Georgia & Kosovo he would have been the difference in those games that ended up in draws. I just hope he can come back fully healthy and regain his form and he will help the Ethniki qualify for the Euros.

• Like it 2

21 hours ago, kbxk508 said:

K. Fortounis

He’s back training and is expected to start playing for the B side in Jan. He became a father and is determined to get back to his best.

NT could do with his qualities and skill.   Hoping he can comeback.

It’s outrageous that Bakasetas plays over him. Fortounis should be the captain and starting number 10 for Greece every time. 

Captain? This isn't under 12's, you don't just hand the captaincy to the "best" player. There's a lot more to do it, leaderships qualities, personality, liked by teammates etc. Not saying he doesn't have those qualities but I just find the idea that "he's the best lets make him captain" to be such an outdated notion. In fact it's thinking like that holds back the Ethniki, so maybe the idea does have some merit 🤷‍♂️

I agree that Fortounis has a place on the NT (assuming he gets fully fit) but let's not act like he is the 2nd coming and will automatically make us qualify for tournaments. Fortounis has been to one major tournament as a 19 year old, Euro 2012. Euro 16, WC18 and Euro 20 where he was a nailed on starter we did not qualify.

One player can't carry a team, it's far more complicated than some people like to make it sound. 

• Like it 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, paokarag4 said:

Captain? This isn't under 12's, you don't just hand the captaincy to the "best" player. There's a lot more to do it, leaderships qualities, personality, liked by teammates etc. Not saying he doesn't have those qualities but I just find the idea that "he's the best lets make him captain" to be such an outdated notion. In fact it's thinking like that holds back the Ethniki, so maybe the idea does have some merit 🤷‍♂️

I agree that Fortounis has a place on the NT (assuming he gets fully fit) but let's not act like he is the 2nd coming and will automatically make us qualify for tournaments. Fortounis has been to one major tournament as a 19 year old, Euro 2012. Euro 16, WC18 and Euro 20 where he was a nailed on starter we did not qualify.

One player can't carry a team, it's far more complicated than some people like to make it sound. 

You have a point but if we are comparing Fortounis to Bakasetas than I’d make Fortounis captain and starter over him. One player can’t carry a team but as we saw with his goal in that video where he took on the whole defence and keeper to score he can’t be ignored in the starting line up. Not many players can do that. Only Fetfa and Ninis have done something similar.

• Like it 1

1 hour ago, Dean97 said:

You have a point but if we are comparing Fortounis to Bakasetas than I’d make Fortounis captain and starter over him. One player can’t carry a team but as we saw with his goal in that video where he took on the whole defence and keeper to score he can’t be ignored in the starting line up. Not many players can do that. Only Fetfa and Ninis have done something similar.

His ability and his captaincy credentials are two separate things entirely, I don't doubt his playing ability. Hopefully he is able to bounce back from his 2nd ACL injury and have an impact when he returns. 

I just disagreed with the idea that because he is the 'best' player he should be captain. You dislike Bakasetas, but IMO I see more captaincy qualities in him than Fortounis. Again don't get it twisted, I'm not saying Bakasetas is a better player.

• Like it 1

The problem with Fortounis is that he doesn't hustle and his workrate leaves a lot to be desired. Talented - for sure, but if you remember, he has been reprimanded his entire career for not taking the extra step.  One of his former teammates (I believe it was Podence) called him out for his lack of practice. Doesn't exactly scream captain material.

• Like it 1

Yeah Fortounis work rate is an issue but he is by far our best midfielder we have. He can score goals too. His passing and dribbling is great. I remember one season which was I think the 2015/2016 season where he scored like 20+ goals and 15 assists. He was tremendous that season. That’s was the season Olympiakos beat Arsenal. In that season he was very consistent, he ran a lot and defended when needed. He was very active. His best season he’s ever had in my opinion. He also was impressive in the champions league. Every season after that he’s been good but in my opinion nothing compares to that 2015/2016 season he had. 

2 hours ago, Dean97 said:

Yeah Fortounis work rate is an issue but he is by far our best midfielder we have. He can score goals too. His passing and dribbling is great. I remember one season which was I think the 2015/2016 season where he scored like 20+ goals and 15 assists. He was tremendous that season. That’s was the season Olympiakos beat Arsenal. In that season he was very consistent, he ran a lot and defended when needed. He was very active. His best season he’s ever had in my opinion. He also was impressive in the champions league. Every season after that he’s been good but in my opinion nothing compares to that 2015/2016 season he had. 

Problem is, you’re talking about that season. He was 24. He’s now 29 with  2 major knee surgeries. Getting back to that form will be hard, if not impossible. 

• Like it 1

14 hours ago, Jimmyp said:

Problem is, you’re talking about that season. He was 24. He’s now 29 with  2 major knee surgeries. Getting back to that form will be hard, if not impossible. 

Yeah your right but if you remember, the 2 seasons after that he wasn’t the same player and he had no injuries. He was still good but he wasn’t as consistent. I think he reached his peak that season in my opinion.

Edited by Dean97

• 4 weeks later...

4 2 3 1

Vahodimos

Baldock  Manolas  Sokratis (c)  Tsimikas

Bouchalakis  Galanopoulos

Masouras       Fortounis         Tzolis

Douvikas

Edited by ausgreek

On 1/16/2022 at 9:43 PM, ausgreek said:

4 2 3 1

Vahodimos

Baldock  Manolas  Sokratis (c)  Tsimikas

Bouchalakis  Galanopoulos

Masouras       Fortounis         Tzolis

Douvikas

No Baldock. I don’t want anyone on the greek team with a caker name. 

• Haha 1

• 5 weeks later...

Why do I keep seeing Baldock in people's lineups? He's not a Greek citizen. Van't Schip was looking at getting him his Greek papers but that never happened. I believe our right back going forward should be Yiannis Massouras with Androutsos as backup for now and Giakoumakis as our starting striker.

• Like it 1

8 hours ago, Bootman said:

Why do I keep seeing Baldock in people's lineups? He's not a Greek citizen. Van't Schip was looking at getting him his Greek papers but that never happened. I believe our right back going forward should be Yiannis Massouras with Androutsos as backup for now and Giakoumakis as our starting striker.

I have to agree with this. Giannis Masouras has been so overlooked it’s crazy. He has speed for days and can play some football. For me he should be our starting RB. I agree also with Androutsos as back up.

Edited by Dean97
  • Like it 1

He plays in the Netherlands now which is a better league than the Polish. He should’ve gotten more chances at Olympiakos as the current RB isn’t good enough. If players like Rota, Mavrias and Bakakis got chances then why not give Masouras a chance. As he is better than all of them in my opinion. We also have other untried players like Kitsiou and Kotsiras. 

• Like it 2