Phantis Forums

Suggested Call Ups, Starting 11

1 hour ago, J1078 said:

I disagree completely, when you are called up to play for the National team to represent your country you are 100% playing for the Flag aka country, the people and pride and anyone who thinks differently should never put on a national team jersey. The feeling you get when your country wins a world cup or a Euro can not compare to winning with your club team. The club team represents a small portion of people but that national team win will UNITE the entire country.

Can this whole "Patrida is everything" stop? You re acting like we retalking about A-tier traitors in Manolas and Sokratis because they were disrespected from EPO. Did the Greek people decide to kick them out of the team? Did the Greek Government or the Greek people decide to bring JVS? Does the head of EPO change by government? Are the footballers , when paid a win pream, paid directly from the country or through EPO?  This is such a 5-year-old's discussion i'm having right now and I can't understand why there is a need for it. I haven't seen a single argument from your side apart from pride/ethics related answers.

Edited by Rockafeller Skank

1 hour ago, J1078 said:

I disagree completely, when you are called up to play for the National team to represent your country you are 100% playing for the Flag aka country, the people and pride and anyone who thinks differently should never put on a national team jersey. The feeling you get when your country wins a world cup or a Euro can not compare to winning with your club team. The club team represents a small portion of people but that national team win will UNITE the entire country.

Exactly they are playing for the country! 🇬🇷 the greatest country on Gods green earth! This is not a silly North American League sport were you have teams with players comprising different nationalities the same team. 

• Like it 1

29 minutes ago, Rockafeller Skank said:

Can this whole "Patrida is everything" stop? You re acting like we retalking about A-tier traitors in Manolas and Sokratis because they were disrespected from EPO. Did the Greek people decide to kick them out of the team? Did the Greek Government or the Greek people decide to bring JVS? Does the head of EPO change by government? Are the footballers , when paid a win pream, paid directly from the country or through EPO?  This is such a 5-year-old's discussion i'm having right now and I can't understand why there is a need for it. I haven't seen a single argument from your side apart from pride/ethics related answers.

Bro the only 5 year old mentality right now is your thinking. In what universe do the fans choose the coaching staff or the players? That is such a nonsensical argument that just belittled your complete statement. The fact that you don't think players play and pour there heart for there Flag and country is the stupidest argument you can make right now. Go back and watch the interviews from the euro 2004 players who had tears for the flag and EVERY single one of them said "they did it for there country and the people" watch any sport when players are interviewed of being selected for there national team in all sport and all of them say "its a huge "honor to represent our country" You are right this is a completely stupid argument and the fact that you don't get it tells me all i need to know. And BTW what I'm talking about has nothing to do with Manoals or Sokratis so i don't know why you are bringing them up as I'm talking in general when playing for your country and no where did i say those players are traitors maybe go back and reread my original comment.

Edited by J1078
  • Like it 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, J1078 said:

Bro the only 5 year old mentality right now is your thinking. In what universe do the fans choose the coaching staff or the players? That is such a nonsensical argument that just belittled your complete statement. The fact that you don't think players play and pour there heart for there Flag and country is the stupidest argument you can make right now. Go back and watch the interviews from the euro 2004 players who had tears for the flag and EVERY single one of them said "they did it for there country and the people" watch any sport when players are interviewed of being selected for there national team in all sport and all of them say "its a huge "honor to represent our country" You are right this is a completely stupid argument and the fact that you don't get it tells me all i need to know. And BTW what I'm talking about has nothing to do with Manoals or Sokratis so i don't know why you are bringing them up as I'm talking in general when playing for your country and no where did i say those players are traitors maybe go back and reread my original comment.

Winner

• Like it 3

If that’s the case, they should just pick the worlds 300 players, and mix them up into blue, red, green etc. Club teams in any sport can choose everyone they want. In order to play for a country you have to be a citizen, otherwise uae would pay everyone to represent them. 

• Like it 1

At the National level of any sporting competition one definitely plays for their country. Even at the individual sport level when athletes win gold, the first thing they do is drape themselves with their country's flag.

J1078 already stated it perfectly when he described the players' reactions after Greece's 2004 victory. I'll take it one step further and use another sport as an example. Before the USSR broke up there was a huge hockey rivalry between the USSR and Canada at the senior and junior levels. I can guarantee you each and every Russian and Canadian player was playing for their country and flag. There is no other reason a grown man would cry tears of joy while wrapped in his flag after winning the championship.

• Like it 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, J1078 said:

Overdramatic discussion. Like the little kid that goes to the Greek army and feels respected for wearing the ethnosimo, meanwhile he is cleaning toilets and putting fire on his metal-bed-parts because they re full of flea. Everyone who agrees with you lives in U.S.A. or Canada. Hardly easy to follow up the Greek reality from 2 oceans and 2 continents away. It's just your nationalim kicking in thinking any of thee players who have an average income 100-1000 times more than the average Greek after a few times of being called up, care much about reprenting the flags instead of representing themselves and their player value and recognition.

A player selected for his NT could be nothing less than proof that he is one of the best players originating from his country. Thus, why everyone is killing themselves to get on it. The fact that a player's financial value goes higher when they re called for their NT is one more reason why players want to join. Same reason why some people like Villafanez and Balldock have been heard recently. 

Also, you re pointing the finger to me about bringing up Manolas and Sokratis saying U re talking general about it, while the argument started exactly on the name of them two? 

You really have strong issues with argumentative speech. This time, I mean it.

• Like it 1

1 hour ago, Rockafeller Skank said:

Overdramatic discussion. Like the little kid that goes to the Greek army and feels respected for wearing the ethnosimo, meanwhile he is cleaning toilets and putting fire on his metal-bed-parts because they re full of flea. Everyone who agrees with you lives in U.S.A. or Canada. Hardly easy to follow up the Greek reality from 2 oceans and 2 continents away. It's just your nationalim kicking in thinking any of thee players who have an average income 100-1000 times more than the average Greek after a few times of being called up, care much about reprenting the flags instead of representing themselves and their player value and recognition.

A player selected for his NT could be nothing less than proof that he is one of the best players originating from his country. Thus, why everyone is killing themselves to get on it. The fact that a player's financial value goes higher when they re called for their NT is one more reason why players want to join. Same reason why some people like Villafanez and Balldock have been heard recently. 

Also, you re pointing the finger to me about bringing up Manolas and Sokratis saying U re talking general about it, while the argument started exactly on the name of them two? 

Did you really just say “I have strong issues with argumentative speech” Thanks for the laugh I needed that.. You know you sound like a foolish child when you make remarks like “maybe it’s because most of us Live abroad” that’s as stupid as me saying maybe you don’t feel the passion  because you are half Greek and half French Which believe you mentioned a while back.. do you see how stupid that sounds.. at the end of the day there’s no point of going back-and-forth with you on this topic Because I don’t think your brain can comprehend what we are trying to say. I was prepared to keep this conversation civil until you started taking shots.

• Like it 1

3 hours ago, J1078 said:

Did you really just say “I have strong issues with argumentative speech” Thanks for the laugh I needed that.. You know you sound like a foolish child when you make remarks like “maybe it’s because most of us Live abroad” that’s as stupid as me saying maybe you don’t feel the passion  because you are half Greek and half French Which believe you mentioned a while back.. do you see how stupid that sounds.. at the end of the day there’s no point of going back-and-forth with you on this topic Because I don’t think your brain can comprehend what we are trying to say. I was prepared to keep this conversation civil until you started taking shots.

4 hours ago, Rockafeller Skank said:

Why do you cheer for Greece then? Why not Kenya? 

• Like it 1

Ultimately, we all feel an attachment to Greece.  That is why we are on these forums to begin with.  I would imagine that all these soccer players feel the same attachment especially when they are away from home.  I may have been born in the states, but something always pulls me to Greece.

• Like it 1
  • Thanks 3

I represented Greece on the national level for the Greek National Baseball team in European competitions in Euro 2012. I was in tears the first time I wore that jersey and heard the anthem. So from someone who actually put on the official Greece uniform, I CAN confirm, that I felt in my heart I was representing my country and I put on the best effort I could for Greece.

• Like it 7
  • Thanks 1

^Good post PaokCT. Wow - represented Greece in 2012. That's not too long ago.

Zagorakis knows a thing or two about what it is to represent the Greek NT.

https://www.sport24.gr/football/zagorakis-ethniki-manolas-papastathopoylos.9174476.html

If Zagorakis does take over EPO presidency I think this going to be a good turning point. I hope. Greece is ranked 20th in Europe which is terrible, and that needs to change.

• Like it 4

50 minutes ago, kbxk508 said:

^Good post PaokCT. Wow - represented Greece in 2012. That's not too long ago.

Zagorakis knows a thing or two about what it is to represent the Greek NT.

https://www.sport24.gr/football/zagorakis-ethniki-manolas-papastathopoylos.9174476.html

If Zagorakis does take over EPO presidency I think this going to be a good turning point. I hope. Greece is ranked 20th in Europe which is terrible, and that needs to change.

I was just going to share the same article. It seems like Zagorakis is going to reach out to Manolas and Sokrais and try to clear up any misunderstanding that took place ad try to get them to come back to NT.

Edited by J1078
  • Like it 1

16 hours ago, J1078 said:

Yes that's exactly what I mean when I talk about argumentative speech issues. It's a rollercoaster discussion of me vs you attacking on direct opinions, with no chance on any of us changing it. I ve spitted some facts that we both know and you just prefer to ignore, like other reasons of why one accepts a NT call-up, and have explained that EPO =/= Greece both technically and realistically, and yet you guys all decide to present sentimental type of arguments. Επίκληση στο Συναίσθημα, if you are aware of argumentative speech and have no issues with it, I assume you are aware of what this is. Otherwise, Google it. As you said yourself, I am in these forums long enough, and look like I care more than the average Greek about our players excelling and our NT forming a competitive and solid roster. The fact that I am partly French does not show a single bit, neither on this Forum, nor in reality and you would have no clue about it unless I did, indeed, say so. (props on your memories it's been at least 2 years since I mentioned it). 

I have a completely different opinion about country and pride related to it. As I said before, everyone who seems to follow this argument on your side (a.k.a. literally everyone participating) lives abroad. It IS something that cannot be left unnoticed. 

I still believe talking about professional footballers getting in a fight with EPO being called traitors is a clownish stance. Making a fight between these 2 guys and people who have managed to get our NT from top 10 in the world to barely top 60, sound like its a national matter.This is how the argument started, and this is how the argument will end from my side, as it has lasted for too damn long. 

1 minute ago, Rockafeller Skank said:

Yes that's exactly what I mean when I talk about argumentative speech issues. It's a rollercoaster discussion of me vs you attacking on direct opinions, with no chance on any of us changing it. I ve spitted some facts that we both know and you just prefer to ignore, like other reasons of why one accepts a NT call-up, and have explained that EPO =/= Greece both technically and realistically, and yet you guys all decide to present sentimental type of arguments. Επίκληση στο Συναίσθημα, if you are aware of argumentative speech and have no issues with it, I assume you are aware of what this is. Otherwise, Google it. As you said yourself, I am in these forums long enough, and look like I care more than the average Greek about our players excelling and our NT forming a competitive and solid roster. The fact that I am partly French does not show a single bit, neither on this Forum, nor in reality and you would have no clue about it unless I did, indeed, say so. (props on your memories it's been at least 2 years since I mentioned it). 

I have a completely different opinion about country and pride related to it. As I said before, everyone who seems to follow this argument on your side (a.k.a. literally everyone participating) lives abroad. It IS something that cannot be left unnoticed. 

I still believe talking about professional footballers getting in a fight with EPO being called traitors is a clownish stance. Making a fight between these 2 sides and people who have managed to get our NT from top 10 in the world to barely top 60, sound like its a national matter.This is how the argument started, and this is how the argument from my side will end, as it has lasted for too damn long. 

Listen man lets just leave it as we both look at it differently and move on. 

• Like it 3

On 3/17/2021 at 1:51 PM, J1078 said:

Whatever you say. If I ever played for any NT I would definitely not going to dedicate the success to let's say any corrupt politician who's making a career through the pauperization of its people, any cop who violently abuses someone for no fcking reason and many more. If you feel playing some fcking football game means by definition you represent these people then your are completely wrong.

A good case is for example Antetokounmpo, who was racially abused by many before becoming a superstar in basketball. Unless you think he's playing for the Greek NT for all the people and not for those who helped him through his poverty years, his friends, fans, family and his teammates you are wrong again.

Edited by Boxou

2 hours ago, Boxou said:

Whatever you say. If I ever played for any NT I would definitely not going to dedicate the success to let's say any corrupt politician who's making a career through the pauperization of its people, any cop who violently abuses someone for no fcking reason and many more. If you feel playing some fcking football game means by definition you represent these people then your are completely wrong.

A good case is for example Antetokounmpo, who was racially abused by many before becoming a superstar in basketball. Unless you think he's playing for the Greek NT for all the people and not for those who helped him through his poverty years, his friends, fans, family and his teammates you are wrong again.

I'm not getting into this again man you have your opinion and i have mine regarding this topic. I'm not going to change your mind and you wont change mine so lets just move on.