Phantis Forums

Suggested Call Ups, Starting 11

1 minute ago, J1078 said:

I guess we shouldn’t really be surprised as these players have pride. Did we really think Manolas and Sokratis would take JVS offer? Especially after he completely left them out and never gave them a reason. After looking back now I was on board with cleaning house but JVS hadn’t bothered calling these guys up not even one time and have not communicated with them at all. He kind of left them in the dark when technically they never did anything to JVS and his team. Also when JVS cut Siovas from the team for taking a shot and “saying it’s different when you don’t have the best Greek player on the team” something along those Lines when he was referring to Manolas that was probably the last draw.

Going back as I mentioned I was on board for a culture change but the way JVS completely shut them out was probably not the smartest thing to do.. Now that the coach wants them and desperately needs them they pretty much gave JVS the finger..

This is very disappointing as I was starting to get optimistic and excited to Manolas play and especially if Siovas was back as well it would have made our back end solid.. Oh well it is what it is now. 

Good points but to say no to playing for a chance to go to the World Cup is disappointing. Especially since they can help us on the field.

• Like it 1

I guess they don’t care about their country in a sports sense as much as people thought they did. Oh well, good riddance. There are a lot of others who will wear the shirt with pride. Anyway, it’s not like they’ve been lighting the world on fire with their play this year. Rather have people who are playing well than just having the past and the name. 

• Like it 2

1 hour ago, Jimmyp said:

I guess they don’t care about their country in a sports sense as much as people thought they did. Oh well, good riddance. There are a lot of others who will wear the shirt with pride. Anyway, it’s not like they’ve been lighting the world on fire with their play this year. Rather have people who are playing well than just having the past and the name. 

True especially regarding Sokratis he has been average since joining Olympiakos. He isn’t conditioned to play the full 90 at the moment especially vs a team like Spain. His leadership and mentoring for the younger guys this World Cup campaign would have been a bonus had he wanted to come in with no attitude and agenda.

37 minutes ago, Ellada2004 said:

True especially regarding Sokratis he has been average since joining Olympiakos. He isn’t conditioned to play the full 90 at the moment especially vs a team like Spain. His leadership and mentoring for the younger guys this World Cup campaign would have been a bonus had he wanted to come in with no attitude and agenda.

Seriously? Blame a guy because they weren't calling him when he was a starter at Arsenal (talking about his first 1,5 year there) and blame a guy for being called when he , really , can't help and even admits it and refuses to go?

All players come of age at some point. It's not their problem you didn't utilize them when they could help, but you pick Labropoulos and Lazaros Rota instead.

2 hours ago, Jimmyp said:

Epo =/= country. You have these things confused. You don't represent the Country on the way you think. That's why the Greece NT symbol ακα εθνόσημο is not the same as the Official Greek Symbol.

Chill with the "they don't care about their country" mentality.

Sad that Manolas ain't joining.

Sokratis couldn't help much vs a team like Spain. He would and could coordinate the defence vs minnow nations as he is good with the ball on his feet and smart as a player. Manolas is a beast still considered one of the top CBs in the world. Him and Siovas were really needed, even if it would just be a mentality boost that they re in the field.

Apart from that, Vlachodimos returned to Benfixa starters so he probablyis a done deal. CB duo looks like it is going to be Mavropanos - Chatzidiakos. Giannoulis for LB, and no idea who RB is going to be. From all called noone can man mark a Spanish winger, so whoever comes is gonna be a hole in Defence. I am really curious about whats gonna happen on the holding midfielders position. Zeka is probably going to be a starter and captain again. Nonstop playtime with Kobenhavn, his team is back on track for the championship. Another one that I believe is gonna play is Siopis and Bouchalakis in a 4-3-3

Wingers are looking sharp. Pelkas Bakasetas imo will definately be starters with Giakoumakis up front.

Something people don't seem to notice much is that even tho Turkish League aint a La Liga or Premier League one, all Greeks play in the top 6 teams. Fenerbahce (Pelkas), Alanyaspor (Siopis,Tzavellas), Trabzonspor (Bakasetas) , Hatayspor (Katranis). 

I am pretty sure that their power is similar to Olympiakos, based on their European results.

Edited by Rockafeller Skank

14 hours ago, Rockafeller Skank said:

Seriously? Blame a guy because they weren't calling him when he was a starter at Arsenal (talking about his first 1,5 year there) and blame a guy for being called when he , really , can't help and even admits it and refuses to go?

All players come of age at some point. It's not their problem you didn't utilize them when they could help, but you pick Labropoulos and Lazaros Rota instead.

Epo =/= country. You have these things confused. You don't represent the Country on the way you think. That's why the Greece NT symbol ακα εθνόσημο is not the same as the Official Greek Symbol.

Chill with the "they don't care about their country" mentality.

Reread what I said. I said in a sports sense. Before you put people down maybe take a reading comprehension course. 

2 hours ago, Brklyngrk said:

I thought Sokratis didn't shut down JVS, just said that he wasn't ready to help the national team yet bc he is just getting back to playing.  He wanted to get some playing time first. 

Personally i think that was a nice was of saying NO. Manolas, Siovas and Sokratis are all close and this was a stand against not being called up and and statement to back there boy Siovas IMO..

8 hours ago, J1078 said:

Personally i think that was a nice was of saying NO. Manolas, Siovas and Sokratis are all close and this was a stand against not being called up and and statement to back there boy Siovas IMO..

I think that’s most likely the case. Sokratis is probably not to happy about not getting called up since the Euro qualifiers. Anyways the Ethniki needs to move forward and put all its focus into these upcoming qualifiers. I hope JVS has them prepared and ready to play.

• Like it 1

Guys I don’t think Sokratis and Manolas have any anything against the EPO or Van’t Schip anymore. Manolas just came back from injury and Sokratis doesn’t feel 100% yet. We don’t know the full details behind the scenes. Van’t Schip tried to persuade them to come back and that’s all we can ask for. Maybe down the line they’ll come back. 

• Like it 2

On 3/14/2021 at 2:44 PM, Jimmyp said:

Reread what I said. I said in a sports sense. Before you put people down maybe take a reading comprehension course. 

Returnig the "reread wheat I said". There is no country in the middle even in a sports sense. Its just a sports federation. Period. Maybe take a reading comprehension course.

8 hours ago, Rockafeller Skank said:

Returnig the "reread wheat I said". There is no country in the middle even in a sports sense. Its just a sports federation. Period. Maybe take a reading comprehension course.

When you play, you’re playing for your country. Representing your homeland. In any sport. Greece won euro 2004. Not EPO. 

Regarding - Sok and Manolas

Στο διάστημα του σχεδιασμού της ομάδας επικοινώνησα με τον Σωκράτη Παπασταθόπουλο και τον Κώστα Μανωλά. Τους γνωστοποίησα ότι βρισκόμαστε πλέον στην κύρια φάση του "πλάνου Κατάρ" κι έχοντας ολοκληρώσει τον σχεδιασμό, τις δοκιμές του ρόστερ και την προετοιμασία της ομάδας μας στο κομμάτι της αγωνιστικής φιλοσοφίας, προφανώς και τους υπολογίζουμε στα πλάνα μας.

They still may play in the qualifiers...

• Like it 1

6 hours ago, Boxou said:

No you don't play for your country. You play for your teammates and mostly your close people. Country contains some groups of people that I for example would never feel I represent them. 

If that’s the way the Greeks think then that’s pathetic. That’s why this will always happen. In Canada people would die to wear the Olympic hockey shirt. But anyway, you right. Done deal. 

Squad made up of players who are fit and regular starters for their respective clubs. Not bad imo. 

Giakoumakis

Masouras      Fortounis      Mantalos 

Zeca           Bouchalakis 

Lykogiannis  Tzavellas Siovas  Kotsiras 

Dioudis 

18 hours ago, Boxou said:

No you don't play for your country. You play for your teammates and mostly your close people. Country contains some groups of people that I for example would never feel I represent them. 

I disagree completely, when you are called up to play for the National team to represent your country you are 100% playing for the Flag aka country, the people and pride and anyone who thinks differently should never put on a national team jersey. The feeling you get when your country wins a world cup or a Euro can not compare to winning with your club team. The club team represents a small portion of people but that national team win will UNITE the entire country.

• Like it 2
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, Brklyngrk said:

Regarding - Sok and Manolas

Στο διάστημα του σχεδιασμού της ομάδας επικοινώνησα με τον Σωκράτη Παπασταθόπουλο και τον Κώστα Μανωλά. Τους γνωστοποίησα ότι βρισκόμαστε πλέον στην κύρια φάση του "πλάνου Κατάρ" κι έχοντας ολοκληρώσει τον σχεδιασμό, τις δοκιμές του ρόστερ και την προετοιμασία της ομάδας μας στο κομμάτι της αγωνιστικής φιλοσοφίας, προφανώς και τους υπολογίζουμε στα πλάνα μας.

They still may play in the qualifiers...

I'm confused so then why did they decline this call up?