Phantis Forums

Suggested Call Ups, Starting 11

Good to read in another thread that JVS is back to full health and did an interview recently as well.

WCQ will roll around next. he will need to play:

with one DM at any one time on the pitch;

a true LW in that position;

Fortounis at AM and perhaps Captain;

a true RB in that position;

Tzavellas, Bouchalakis and Bakasetas got many opportunities, as a result of those, it was evident that they did not improve the team. Time to integrate Galanopoulos, Vasiliadis, as well as Mavropanos into the squad for the next phase.

I agree we need to play 1 defensive midfielder at all times. We should shift Mantalos as an 8. He’s not good on the left wing and isn’t our best CAM at the same time. He doesn’t score a lot so moving him deeper in midfield to give an attacking spark might be the solution.

Bouchalakis is too slow, Kourbelis isn’t good on the ball and lacks vision. Zeca is just a workhorse and that’s about it. Regarding Galanopoulos, I’d take him over any of those 3 I just mentioned. He’s still young and can improve even more. 

After seeing Olympiakos play against Marseille, I think Fortounis isn’t as great as we think he is. I do agree that he’s our best CAM but he’s very inconsistent. 

Galanopoulos is an upgrade over Bouchalakis and Kourbelis. Tzavelllas should not be getting called up for any of the WCUP qualifiers. Bakasetas should only come off the bench but in saying that JVS will continue to start him for some reason the rest of us cant see.

Fortounis had played like 6-7 games in about 3 weeks, give him a rest. He was still good and probably would have recorded an assist hadn't El Arabi played his worst game with an Oly jersey. A thing that I might agree is that Olympiacos had some free kicks which were badly taken by him.

I will repeat myself, Galanopoulos so far hasn't proved himself in a very average Aek side which has been humiliated in the Europa league campaign by the likes of Zorya and Braga. Let me take Bouchalakis who's a great player either but starts for a far better team that Olympiacos is. Galanopoulos wouldn't even be a starter at Oly.

About Bakasetas im just tired to say the same things all over again and you know it.

Well either way Greece's chances to make the world cup are very slim since they are a pot 3 team, which will probably lead to an elimination and we'll go back to the Slovenia game which had we won we'd get a second chance.

Conclusion is that with the new Epo coming around in January the guy on the bench will be gone by the end of the campaign.

Need a CM or no.8 that can play, on the planet there has to be someone capable. Might have to be from any one of these: Bouzoukis, Mantalos, Pelkas or Vasiliadis. If Baka has a motor he might do it, he plays better more centrally.

12 hours ago, Boxou said:

Well either way Greece's chances to make the world cup are very slim since they are a pot 3 team, which will probably lead to an elimination and we'll go back to the Slovenia game which had we won we'd get a second chance.

Conclusion is that with the new Epo coming around in January the guy on the bench will be gone by the end of the campaign.

Would you call for his job if he gets us a second spot finish?

14 hours ago, Boxou said:

Fortounis had played like 6-7 games in about 3 weeks, give him a rest. He was still good and probably would have recorded an assist hadn't El Arabi played his worst game with an Oly jersey. A thing that I might agree is that Olympiacos had some free kicks which were badly taken by him.

I will repeat myself, Galanopoulos so far hasn't proved himself in a very average Aek side which has been humiliated in the Europa league campaign by the likes of Zorya and Braga. Let me take Bouchalakis who's a great player either but starts for a far better team that Olympiacos is. Galanopoulos wouldn't even be a starter at Oly.

About Bakasetas im just tired to say the same things all over again and you know it.

Fortounis is the engine of this NT. He is a great playmaker and scores wonder goals for us as we saw vs Moldova.

1 hour ago, PaokCT said:

Depends how we look? I say if he gets us into a playoff then he’s a must keep. 

Also depends on which team we get from pot 2. I have expectations if we draw some Romania, Slovakia, Wales or so but not for the rest. Same goes for Denmark of pot 1.

This is not the post meant for such discussion but this team's ταβάνι is the 3rd place and a very good run which depends on the group will be the 2nd place. We have no hopes to qualify for the next WC and if you look the next games hoping we will you will just be dissappointed. The aim for this qualification is for our NT to grab some points, remain 3rd pot and maybe get some better ranking to secure 3rd pot for a while and see us be able to play the damn ball vs both minor nations (like Kosovo and Slovenia) but also look competitive with better Nations like Austria,  Romania , Czechia , Russia, Ukraine. We are nowhere near to look competitve vs teams like Portugal , France , Germany , Spain. Aim low and realistic and we ll be fine.

I am not a supporter of JVS for sure but I reallly have to give it to the man. He has indeed made us a nation that can play the ball and make 15-20 chances per game, which we never did have. Slovenia is not the shithole we present it, they re slightly worse than us, and yet we made them - in 2 games - hope the game ends 0-0 which it did. 

Fortounis needs to be a starter because even on his bad day the opponents know him and mark him a lot, opening spaces. If JVS wants Bakasetas in as well he ll have to use 2 AMs like he did vs Cyprus.

Edited by Rockafeller Skank
  • Like it 1

Would be interesting to see the backline going into the qualifiers, as for now his latest call ups have been;

Lambropoulos who's a bench warmer in Bundesliga B side Bochum

Michailidis who has been dropped in the rotation at Paok and definitely isn't ready yet as it's been evident for his game against Austria

Tzavellas who's not a real CB and one of the biggest troublemakers I remember in the recent years.

Svarnas; no comment.

Bakakis also looks like an ex player and Rota/Mavrias are playing for quite average sides as Fortuna Sittard and Omonoia. Would rather play Limnios as a full back there.

On 12/5/2020 at 6:45 PM, Boxou said:

Galanopoulos will not offer much. He's the same player as Kourmpelis and a bit more technical than Zeca.

We disagree with the majority of this statement. Before his injury, Galanopoulos was the only Greek midfielder with the ability to play in the 8 role. He's certainly not the same player as Kourbelis, as he has a much larger propensity to get forward and has a larger volume of through balls, downfield longballs, and overall vision. It doesn't take much for a player to be more technical than Zeca, his value is in his work rate. 

On 12/5/2020 at 9:26 PM, Dean97 said:

I agree we need to play 1 defensive midfielder at all times. We should shift Mantalos as an 8. He’s not good on the left wing and isn’t our best CAM at the same time. He

We've seen Mantalos played in a deeper role both for Aek and the National team, it's not great. He's much more effective further up the pitch. There's a reason why he's the Super league assist leader and also leads the Super League in "Major scoring opportunities created/Smart passes", both in volume and on a per 90 min. 

Although we would agree that Fortounis may be a better CAM, as he has better dribbling ability, but Mantalos is also a solid CAM as well. The dual CAM midfield we used with Fortounis/Bakasetas with a lone DM was very interesting and could be the recipe for success for us against smaller sides and we would be better off than forcing yet another player out of position.

Edited by Gate7IntlPodcast
  • Like it 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Gate7IntlPodcast said:

We've seen Mantalos played in a deeper role both for Aek and the National team, it's not great. He's much more effective further up the pitch. There's a reason why he's the Super league assist leader and also leads the Super League in "Major scoring opportunities created/Smart passes", both in volume and on a per 90 min. 

Although we would agree that Fortounis may be a better CAM, as he has better dribbling ability, but Mantalos is also a solid CAM as well. The dual CAM midfield we used with Fortounis/Bakasetas with a lone DM was very interesting and could be the recipe for success for us against smaller sides and we would be better off than forcing yet another player out of position.

Thank you for your reply. Can you please refresh my memory as I don’t think I’ve ever seen Mantalos play as an 8 for the national team... Most of the time he’s played at left wing (which he hasn’t been the most effective in my opinion)and very rarely at CAM. He should be playing his natural position at CAM.

You Cannot go into this qualifier with Mantalos on the wing or Bakasetas in the middle. I think right now on the wing you need to start Tzolis and Liminos on the wing with Fortounis in the middle. As far as a striker goes i don't know what the answer is maybe try Fountas??? I know Mitro might sign with Oly but i don't think we want to go down that road again as he has completely fallen out of form and will not present anything to the team unless you literally feed him the ball. As far as our midfield this has been an ongoing problem and our current duos are not the answer. Manolas and Siovas need to be revisited before this campaign starts because our current back line will get shredded against the top seeded teams in our group.

JVS needs to learn from what happened in the UNL and build on our strengths.

Unless Bakakis picks up from, he cannot be playing for the Ethniki. We need to move on from Bakasetas, make better of the CM positions, I’m not a fan of Zeca-Kourbelis combo in games we need to win.

Stafylidis can not be part of this, need a good partner next to Hatzidiakos, this is where Manolas or Siovas would have been great. 

I wouldn’t mind seen two strikers at some point. Tzolis needs to feature, as does Fortounis

• Like it 1

14 hours ago, Dean97 said:

Thank you for your reply. Can you please refresh my memory as I don’t think I’ve ever seen Mantalos play as an 8 for the national team... Most of the time he’s played at left wing (which he hasn’t been the most effective in my opinion)and very rarely at CAM. He should be playing his natural position at CAM.

Deano, Mantalos and Fortounis can both play midfield, one further back from the other.

Mantalo can play as a CM, he is speedy & creative, he can't be any worse than when he is at LW.

Edited by ausgreek
  • Like it 1

12 minutes ago, ausgreek said:

Deano, Mantalos and Fortounis can both play midfield, one further back from the other.

Mantalo can play as a CM, he is speedy & creative, he can't be any worse than when he is at LW.

I agree file. Mantalos being played deep can help us more in attack. He is no left winger. He is more of a technical dribbler. Not a speed dribble rwho has the speed to take the ball the down the line past defenders like a Limnios, Chatzigiovannis and Donis can. 

He seems someone like Fortounis that can get out of tight spaces and put in a good through ball. That’s why Mantalos is better off at CAM or deeper at CM. Ive seen him at AEK a bit play deeper and he looked good.

Same thing can be said about Ninis. He played CM against Olympiakos and put in a great performance. Tackled well, passing was very good and almost scored a wonderful solo goal when he played a 1-2 with Douvikas. 

Also speaking about Douvikas, he could and should be another option for striker.

• Like it 1

Yes they are lol. He needs consistent game time to get anywhere near contention.

He has shown some good things with Volos but only has himself to blame for been without a club all these years... what a waste. Realistically, it won’t happen 

• Like it 1

I agree with you but what good things has he shown this year ? I can’t say I watch his games but people can’t see one good game in 5 years and say this guy is national team material. He’s played 6 games for Volos and only started 1. There’s roughly 20 Greeks i would chose over him in the middle of the field.