Phantis Forums

Suggested Call Ups, Starting 11

On 10/24/2020 at 11:36 AM, Boxou said:

Aside of the fact that there's no real RB in your squad we might be better if we use 3 in the back, something like Siovas/Manolas/Mavropanos with Tsimikas and Limnios being the full backs. In the midfield I'd like Bouchalakis and Galanopoulos with Fortounis in front of them, then Donis and Pavlidis up front. I'd take Stafylidis out because he's out of form for more than a year and we literally don't need 4 Left backs in the squad. Lykogiannis of Calgiari would be a much better alternative.

Agreed. The aim was to put up a starting line up with my four best Greek players. Donis if fit and healthy is a DEFINITELY another option. I would have liked to seen more of Rota, as he looks like the sort of player who can run and link well with forwards for 90'. He's only 20. JVS should have given him mins vs Austria. 

I read it somewhere, and not sue about it, but if Hellas don't top NL Group then JVS will be let go. Interesting times.

2 hours ago, kbxk508 said:

Agreed. The aim was to put up a starting line up with my four best Greek players. Donis if fit and healthy is a DEFINITELY another option. I would have liked to seen more of Rota, as he looks like the sort of player who can run and link well with forwards for 90'. He's only 20. JVS should have given him mins vs Austria. 

I read it somewhere, and not sue about it, but if Hellas don't top NL Group then JVS will be let go. Interesting times.

2 hours ago, kbxk508 said:

That would be falling on his sword. That is one way to oust a frustratingly stubborn gaffa unless he changes afew things!

I see a lot of people are fans of Donis. Myself included. But what has he done recently to warrant a starting spot for Greece? He didn’t do much last season and is having a slow season now. When inform I would definitely have him in my team but something tells me he isn’t the same player like he was a few years ago. When he debuted for Greece he looked like Greece’s best LW and when time went on he started to be close to non existent in games. Perhaps he is a failed talent along with the likes of Ninis and so on. 

He’s had his good and bad moments. Limnios seems to be the most consistent Greek player for the national team. He’s not perfect but he’s better than expected for a side that doesn’t play its best players in my opinion. Greece needs players like Limnios, Donis and even Pelkas to be inform. There speed and dribbling ability can cause problems for any team. 

I Will admit I have given JVS a free pass so far as I think he deserved a chance like any coach to see what he can do with this team, we know things don’t change overnight and there are some growing pains. I was very optimistic the way we were playing the last euro qualifier games as I saw something in this team that we haven’t seen before with our attacking and it wasn’t against garbage teams we looked good against Italy, Bosnia and Finland. But seeing what he’s doing now and not playing the best players available is really frustrating. I know I’ve said 100x if he decides to cut Soc and Manolas if they are bringing down the team and trying to run s%$#! then yes cut them, after watching Manolas on a live interview you can see the guy still wants to play for us and I think JVS should at least talk to him and see if they can work it out.. The coaches job is to play the best available players he has and keep morale and spirits high in the dressing room.

If JVS fields another line up as he did to start the game against Kosovo knowing we need two wins then in my opinion this is not the coach that we can reach our full potential with..

It really sucks not  having Manolas and Siovas in the line up makes us that much stronger in the back especially when we need it against superior opponents when we hardly have possession.. But obviously no one is above the team and no one should feel superior from each other so attitude is very important..

Some guys might disagree but Fortounis needs to be an automatic starter for this team no questions asked. Is Tsimkas and Retsos healthy?? Also I understand Donis has had no playing time but I would still call him up and keep him as a bench option for now but Fountas right now deserves more playing time.  Svarnas has started a few games now and although he doesn’t make glaring mistakes I think we have better options then him.  

10 hours ago, Athens4 said:

Just saw the highlights of Porto v Olympiakos - their first goal shows why Bouchalakis shouldn't be anywhere near the NT.

I watched the whole game. You’re absolutely right. The sad thing is oly were all over them. 

Check it out guys, we do a weekly podcast at Hellas Football covering all things Greek Football and you have your chance to put questions or topics want discussed with us each week

https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podcast/hellas-footy-pod/id1536595945?i=1000496234762

Can be found on Spotify & Anchor

Edited by Alphonse
  • Like it 3

17 hours ago, Athens4 said:

Just saw the highlights of Porto v Olympiakos - their first goal shows why Bouchalakis shouldn't be anywhere near the NT.

His fault on the first goal conceded and he made so many mistakes after that as well.

Why did Martins keep him on the pitch until the 84th minute?

1 hour ago, Alphonse said:

Check it out guys, we do a weekly podcast at Hellas Football covering all things Greek Football and you have your chance to put questions or topics want discussed with us each week

https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podcast/hellas-footy-pod/id1536595945?i=1000496234762

Can be found on Spotify & Anchor

I have enjoyed listening to the show its nice to hear footie talk regarding the NT and Olympiakos.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Ellada2004 said:

His fault on the first goal conceded and he made so many mistakes after that as well.

Why did Martins keep him on the pitch until the 84th minute?

That will bring him into calculations as a starter and vice- captain of the Ethniki.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Ellada2004 said:

I have enjoyed listening to the show its nice to hear footie talk regarding the NT and Olympiakos.

I listened to episode 2, I will listen to episode 1 when I can, hope there is some Ethniki content in it, along with the Greek Super League news which was all of episode 2. 

GSL doesn't seem to know when to get started.

• Like it 1

I hear a lot of people say that we don’t have options at RB. We actually do we just haven’t tried them. Like Kitsiou, Kotsiras, G.Masouras, Kivrakidis, Natsos and Rota. That’s 6 names that we haven’t tried. Rota hasn’t been given a good enough chance. He seems promising. 

• Like it 2

6 hours ago, Dean97 said:

I hear a lot of people say that we don’t have options at RB. We actually do we just haven’t tried them. Like Kitsiou, Kotsiras, G.Masouras, Kivrakidis, Natsos and Rota. That’s 6 names that we haven’t tried. Rota hasn’t been given a good enough chance. He seems promising. 

JVS should give Kotsiras a chance!

• Like it 1

11 hours ago, Dean97 said:

Well he brought up Rota and had 3 games one of them being a friendly against Austria and only played the kid for like 5 minutes or so. Not sure what the point of calling him up was. he would rather put guys that are not RBs in that position for some messed up reason..

Edited by J1078

47 minutes ago, J1078 said:

Well he brought up Rota and had 3 games one of them being a friendly against Austria and only played the kid for like 5 minutes or so. Not sure what the point of calling him up was. he would rather put guys that are not RBs in that position for some messed up reason..

If Ethniki don't finish top of the group they will pay him out, would of fallen on his sword. Bad luck.

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and pinned this topic