Phantis Forums

Suggested Call Ups, Starting 11

you can tell Fourtonis is not happy about not starting for the NT.... I don’t blame him he has a valid reason he knows as we all do that he is a much better option then Bakasetas.. I hope JVS breaks up this love he has for Baka soon or I can see Fortounis walking from the NT. 

https://m.sport24.gr/football/fortoynis-gia-ethniki-den-echo-na-po-kati-den-mporo-na-po-oti-niotho-adikimenos.9022448.html

• Like it 1

1 hour ago, J1078 said:

you can tell Fourtonis is not happy about not starting for the NT.... I don’t blame him he has a valid reason he knows as we all do that he is a much better option then Bakasetas.. I hope JVS breaks up this love he has for Baka soon or I can see Fortounis walking from the NT. 

https://m.sport24.gr/football/fortoynis-gia-ethniki-den-echo-na-po-kati-den-mporo-na-po-oti-niotho-adikimenos.9022448.html

Ya I hear this as well on Georgiou radio show & Ante Geia the Olympiakos backers keep saying how has JVS kept him off the starting 11. They are also saying the EPO is behind some of JVS decisions on who to play as to showcase the AEK or PAOK players for possible future transfers. 
Fortounis was really dangerous vs Austria and had a nice finish on the goal. JVS better realize Fortounis should start and not risk losing him.

• Like it 2

Gone away from two DM's, and keep to playing players in their rightful positions.

Like to see creativity of Mantalos/Gala as the no.8;

Interesting stat mentioned on Gate7 football podcast, Svarnas in his matches has had the best stat of the defenders for the Ethniki in that opposition players not being able to get past him, doesn't mean he has never been beaten but he has been extremely tidy in defence. 

Like to see JVS pick this way for Nov match in a  4 3 3, can easily revert to 4 5 1 :   

U Grik

Vlaho

Bakakis           Svarnas            Hatzidiakos           Giannoulis

Zeca

Mantalos

Fortounis (c)

Limnios (the best)       Fountas                               Tzolis

Pavidis,  Donis  Masouras,  Pelkas

Galanopoulos  Vassiladis   Kourbelis

Mihailidis  Tsimikas  Rotu

Barkas  Dioudis

Edited by ausgreek
  • Like it 2

Stumbled on to something today, not sure if guys have talked about it specifically or not though. 

I was going through google, looking at past line ups we fielded for every game and noticed a troubling trend. For the last 9 games straight, going back to the 2-0 loss to Italy - Bakasetas, Mantalos, Limnios and Pavlidis(didn't play against Italy) have been either starters or featured in the offense in all those games and have been the front 4 in a few of those games. Limnios and Pavlidis are fine, but seriously wtf is going on with this team??? I went back even further Stafylidis always seems to find his way into the line no matter what the situation is... As a cb, lw, lb, cm, cdm... A guy who's played a grand total of 28 games since 2017. And in 122 club games since 2017 Bakasetas has 29 goals and 20 assists. Fortounis has 32 goals and 36 assists in 106 games since 2017, it's night and day.

• Like it 2

Even Pelkas is more industrious than Baka. Jvs is stubborn to learn lately.

Gate 7 earlier pod makes mention of Retsos being the ouf & out best RB option for Ethniki. I would swap out Bakakis for him in my lineup, I agree with them on that really.

• Like it 1

Copy and pasted from Hellas Football regarding Manolas

In a recent interview, Greek national team star Kostas Manolas expressed his disappointment with the situation surrounding Dimitris Siovas. When asked what about his thoughts on Van’t Schip the twenty-nine year old stated he had no comment.

The experienced defender delved a bit deeper into his disappointment with the situation surrounding Dimitris Siovas, by asking what would have happened if the other players on the squad made similar comments regarding himself and Sokratis.

In regard to the Greek national team itself, Manolas stated that above all he is Greek and has the best interest of the national team at heart. He highlighted the fact that he along with Sokratis and Siovas were key pieces to their club sides as well.

Along with this, Manolas stated that Van’t Schip had called him last year to inform him that he would be calling younger players in order to give them a chance. One year on and Manolas has stated that he has not heard back.

• Like it 2

13 hours ago, J1078 said:

This is a good read and it asks the same questions we do.

https://hellasfooty.blogspot.com/2020/10/an-alternate-view-of-ethniki-omada.html?m=1

A good article. 
When Rehhagel & Santos we’re coaching the NT Greece were beating a lot of the lesser footballing nations by 1-0 but they were also beating European powerhouses such as Portugal, Czech Republic, Croatia and Spain who Greece beat in Zaragoza in 2003 and since that time Spain has not lost a competitive match in Spain. 
We all want to see the team play an attractive and more attacking style of football but at the end of the day if Greece get the 1 nil victories that we were use to seeing that ultimately led us to qualifying for 2 World Cups and 3 Euros and winning a Euro I will be very happy with that. 

4 hours ago, ausgreek said:

Even Pelkas is more industrious than Baka. Jvs is stubborn to learn lately.

Gate 7 earlier pod makes mention of Retsos being the ouf & out best RB option for Ethniki. I would swap out Bakakis for him in my lineup, I agree with them on that really.

Pelkas is way better than Bakasetas in my opinion. Faster and smarter player.

• Like it 1

12 hours ago, Dean97 said:

Pelkas is way better than Bakasetas in my opinion. Faster and smarter player.

For sure Pelkas offers more than Bakasetas. 

I cant wait to see Retsos make his return to the Ethniki as well..

As I mentioned b4, Gate7 football pod mentioned Svarnas as being the best defender on average with regards to stats. I thought his hair was well styled and thats why I thought he was a serviceable player personally.

On what basis or metrics do you guys find Svarnas not good enough in, over the past few games? I think some guys can't get past Manola, Sok and Siov have all been surpassed.

The fact that Svarnas is around because either the coach have a beef with some players (Sokratis, Siovas and Manolas), or because some of them have been injured in the past games (Retsos and Mavropanos), or even because we do use our CBs like Hatzidiakos in the right back position.

And then as the 7th option in the rotation comes Svarnas along with the pensioner Tzavellas. That says a lot about his quality and the real reason he's around the team.

44 minutes ago, Boxou said:

The fact that Svarnas is around because either the coach have a beef with some players (Sokratis, Siovas and Manolas), or because some of them have been injured in the past games (Retsos and Mavropanos), or even because we do use our CBs like Hatzidiakos in the right back position.

And then as the 7th option in the rotation comes Svarnas along with the pensioner Tzavellas. That says a lot about his quality and the real reason he's around the team.

Sure but his returns are very good, despite the fact he isn't everyone's top choice.

Svarnas being Greek, whether its him, Hatzi, Retsos or Mavropanos, its irrelevant.

• Like it 1

Svarnas is just another puzzling issue with this team. He isn't awful, but we're also playing s#it teams. But aek fans sound shocked he's playing, so that's saying something, and he's not even their first choice. 

Bottom line this team is a fcking dumpster fire. He's started Pav, Lim, Baka, Mant, Kourb and Zeca 3 out of the 4 games and we've only scored 2 goals in those 3 games. Either this coach is a clueless dumba$$ or theres curruption worse than any of us could've ever imagined. 

And let's be real about Otto and Santos (aside from euro 04), we'd squeeze out 1-0 games in the 90th against powerhouses like Malta. But aside from a couple wins, we always did s#it against top teams and we'd get embarrassed at tourneys ie euro 08, wc 2010 w/ South Korea/Argentina euro 2012 with Czech/Germany. And let's not forget those stupid a$$ line ups we had in the Argentina and Germany games lol might as well have just told the players to form a wall in front of the net and stand on each other's shoulders... Like that's a joke. Every wc we made, we were runners up in a group and had to play a playoff when we should have made it through. Croatia for 2012 was the clutchest game we ever played against a legit top team post euro 04. We had no business tying Japan'14, losing to South Korea'10, losing to the Czechs'12 and losing to Costa Rica, we shouldn't have even needed penalties. 

Can you guys seriously think of another team anywhere that's ever fielded such debacle lineups like we've seen consistently?? But with Greece it's become the norm for the line up to come out and it's a complete and utter m@lakia. 

JVS might seriously be as big of a dink as Skibbe was and that's a tall order considering he's in the hall of fame for all time bone headed decisions. It's one thing for coaches to make some mistakes, we get it, it happens. But these guys literally will run into the wall 50 times, then look at the door, then try the wall again. 3 straight games he tried a cb at rb and it was brutal all 3 games... Like what game was he watching??? 

Even if Baka works harder than fortounis, he still isn't good enough to tie fortounis bootlace. What good is winning the ball back if we can't do anything with it? The object of the game is to score, not win the ball back. A good offense IS a good defense. You don't have to play d when you have the ball the majority of the time. It doesn't help our cause if we have a bunch of Rudys on the field. You can teach work ethic, you can't teach skill and vision. 

Edited by gsots
  • Like it 4

@gsots your not wrong at all with what your saying. As I’ve said before what good is it to win the ball back and then be clueless and do nothing with it? 

The truth is when we vs top sides in the qualifying campaign or in the tournament itself we will struggle with the likes of Svarnas, Stafylidis and Tzavellas at CB. I know it’s not a popular opinion but I we have to be realistic and I think Van’t Schip needs to have a conversation with Manolas and Siovas. A top coach knows how to handle the big names and I’m not sure we will go to the next level with Van’t Schip. Manolas and Siovas have a good few years left at the top level. 

If he continues to play players in midfield who are clueless and have no imagination with no skill and no vision then we will continue to be frustrated with the lack of goals. Pavlidis, Koulouris and Fountas are all decent strikers but my main concern is the quality of service that’s been given to them. 

Limnios and Giannoulis have been the most positive for me. I’d keep them along with Pavlidis and Hatzidiakos in the team. You can see they have some quality. The rest are lucky to be there in my opinion. 

• Like it 1

How can the attackers get good service when we play with we have literally no one able to make a direct pass/cross to them? Mpakasetas can't, Zeca can't, Kourmpelis can't, our back 4 with Cbs covering the right back position can't and Mantalos is literally useless the way he's being utilized.

For example I don't rate Bouchalakis but in a proper team like Olympiakos he looks a OK solution for our midfield, at least since we tend to see that epitome of mediocrity Kourmpelis getting the automatic start again and again. Masouras and Donis are proper wingers and much better that Mantalos who's not a winger.

And for christ's sake just use a left back in the right, we have plenty of them in a good level and it is much better than what we have seen there with Hatzidiakos and Lambropoulos.

• Like it 1

Honestly with Skibbe. he was infatuated with Tziolis, with a Passion. JVS has this Bakasetas thing, and they Both have had Mantalos as a LW thing. The squad should have Lamprou with the likes of Limnios,Tzolis and Donis in it as Wing options.

I'm not a fan of Staf as a CB, or stopgap Tzavellas either, although I do get that he needs experience in there. Retsos is back playing and the next crop look so promising, Hatzidiakos, Retsos (cb/rb), Mavropanos, Svarnas and Lampropoulos-Only as a CB option.

Edited by ausgreek
  • Like it 1

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and pinned this topic