Phantis Forums

Suggested Call Ups, Starting 11

I don’t agree with guys who aren’t Greek in the slightest bit making passports to play for Greece because they wanna get a taste of international soccer. If George baldock were any good, (which he’s not I’ve seen him a million times, ) he’d have been called up for England. Why should we take anyone else’s trash cuz they wanna play international soccer. And while we’re at it take that non Greek zeca out too. I think we can find better players who are actually Greek and stick to our culture. Just my rant. That’s all. A topic for another time. Enjoy the game everyone, 2 1 Greece. 

I’m surprised Stelios Kitsiou didn’t get called up. I’m also surprised Lazaros Rota is being called up instead. I too want to have this Greek team to be 100% Greek. 

4 hours ago, J1078 said:

Rumored line up as per Hellas Football,

Barkas- Bakakis, Svarnas, Stafylidis, Tsimikas, Bouchalakis, Zeca, - Liminos, Bakasetas, Masouras - Pavlidis

Thoughts if this is true?

Not the best line up really. I would’ve played Lampropoulos and Siovas just to be safe. Svarnas to me doesn’t seem like a good enough option. I wish Mavropanos was called up but he’s injured. I would give Tzolis some playing time. Who knows he could score a couple goals himself. 

Stafylidis shouldn’t be playing let alone CB. Siovas or Michailidis should be there. I don’t understand why we never play Mantalos in his natural position, which is CAM. Bakasetas has been playing well but I think Fortounis and Mantalos are technically more superior. Not the best line up in my opinion but I’ll give it a chance.

• Like it 2

4 hours ago, Dean97 said:

I’m surprised Stelios Kitsiou didn’t get called up. I’m also surprised Lazaros Rota is being called up instead. I too want to have this Greek team to be 100% Greek. 

Not the best line up really. I would’ve played Lampropoulos and Siovas just to be safe. Svarnas to me doesn’t seem like a good enough option. I wish Mavropanos was called up but he’s injured. I would give Tzolis some playing time. Who knows he could score a couple goals himself. 

Stafylidis shouldn’t be playing let alone CB. Siovas or Michailidis should be there. I don’t understand why we never play Mantalos in his natural position, which is CAM. Bakasetas has been playing well but I think Fortounis and Mantalos are technically more superior. Not the best line up in my opinion but I’ll give it a chance.

I agree the lineup could be better we will see. Stafy at CB is a bit perplexing and personally I want to see Fortounis starting. 

I just hope the team can pick up where they left off last November.

Go ELLAS!

• Like it 2

Man, thank goodness for coaches in the A League like JVS and Valkanis hey?? Now Popovic to Xanthi fc, newly owned by Bill Papas of Sydney Olympic. Hellas will continue to rise no question.

Edited by ausgreek
  • Like it 1

23 minutes ago, Brklyngrk said:

Zeca has impressed me. He sings the anthem louder than most, speaks Greek, acts Greek, loves Greece.  To me, he is Greek. 

^ This. 

Longtime reader of this board, joined to say I agree with Brklyngrk. Being Greek is not genetic, it's how you act, feel, and where your loyalties lead you. 

Yes, I understand that the people of Greece have a very slightly different DNA compared to, say, Kenyans. But if you took a population of Kenyans, put them in Greece and let them assimilate the Greek culture, then as they start their own families and their progeny stay in Greece, hey, the composition of the "Greek DNA" changes. 

Honestly, I don't particularly care if you last name is Papadopoulos or Smith or whatever...if you make the national team better and you love Greece, welcome to the team. 

Also, good luck to they boys today! Hopefully we can build chemistry with the new crew and get back to where Greek football could and should be! 

Edited by startingxi

I’m not talking about it that way. Of course if they have been there a long while and have made their life there I agree. I’m saying in a sense I don’t want international soccer to turn into a money machine. And have people buying players and giving them citizenship in order to play. A kid that’s been raised in Greece from Kenya or wherever is fine. His roots have been planted. I’m saying ksenous. There are plenty of good young Greek players that deserve a chance. That I think will help before they go looking elsewhere. Anyway I’m at work boys. I’ll miss the game but logging off cuz I wanna see it as I have my son taping it. Go Greece!!!

49 minutes ago, Jimmyp said:

I’m not talking about it that way. Of course if they have been there a long while and have made their life there I agree. I’m saying in a sense I don’t want international soccer to turn into a money machine. And have people buying players and giving them citizenship in order to play. A kid that’s been raised in Greece from Kenya or wherever is fine. His roots have been planted. I’m saying ksenous. There are plenty of good young Greek players that deserve a chance. That I think will help before they go looking elsewhere. Anyway I’m at work boys. I’ll miss the game but logging off cuz I wanna see it as I have my son taping it. Go Greece!!!

What about a child of Greek parents who has lived abroad and doesn’t even speak the language. ie. holebas

One thing that's clear is that Fortounis is not the type of player JVS wants to start. He's lazy and will not press one tenth as much as what Bakasetas and Mandalos do. In saying that I do think in games like last night off the bench he can be really damaging, 10-15 mins against a fatigued defense he will run rings around them and create 2-3 good chances. 

But it's obvious the pressing and harassing our whole team was doing, especially at the start of the 2nd half is something Fortounis can't or won't do. Bakasetas/Mandalos/Limnios and Pavlidis (and others) were all working overtime when we didn't have the ball to win it back and it worked the Slovenians couldn't get out of their half for large chunks of the 2nd half. The issue was when we won the ball we lacked quality, which is where Fortounis comes into play.

There needs to be a balance but if guys like Fortounis/Donis can buy into this mentality we will improve 20-30% in attack. Until they do I think they will be restricted to cameo appearances off the bench and I understand why JVS goes with these harder workers even if they are less talented. Martins agrees with this view IMO, it's why Fortounis never regained his starting spot after his injury for Olympiako. He was damaging off the bench though. 

But you can't overlook your best players completely, last night Fortounis should've come off the bench it was clear we were lacking quality in the final third. 

On 9/3/2020 at 2:15 AM, Jimmyp said:

I don’t agree with guys who aren’t Greek in the slightest bit making passports to play for Greece because they wanna get a taste of international soccer. If George baldock were any good, (which he’s not I’ve seen him a million times, ) he’d have been called up for England. Why should we take anyone else’s trash cuz they wanna play international soccer. And while we’re at it take that non Greek zeca out too. I think we can find better players who are actually Greek and stick to our culture. Just my rant. That’s all. A topic for another time. Enjoy the game everyone, 2 1 Greece. 

Since I see you live in Canada, probably grew up there to Greek immigrants, it makes you as much Greek as George Baldock who according to you is not qualified to play to our team?

It's ok that you don't see any quality to a premier league starter, stick with Bakakis who can't cross the ball higher than 10 cm.

Tsimikas tests positive for covid, all players and staff are waiting for their  results before they can confirm whether they can play on Sunday or the game is cancelled.

The Rule from Uefa as I understand it is, if a player tests positive and you can still filled a team of 13 players including a goalie without calling anyone else up then you can play, if not you take the lose, if both teams have covid cases and can’t field 13 players then it’s considered a draw..

2 hours ago, Boxou said:

Since I see you live in Canada, probably grew up there to Greek immigrants, it makes you as much Greek as George Baldock who according to you is not qualified to play to our team?

It's ok that you don't see any quality to a premier league starter, stick with Bakakis who can't cross the ball higher than 10 cm.

Dude you’re taking my point out of context and personally. George baldock is not the son of Greek immigrants. His grandmother was Greek. That’s it. He doesn’t know the language, I’m sure he can’t read or write either and has never been to Greece. I’m not a Bakakis fan at all. I just want the Greek kids to get a chance to represent their country. That’s all. Yes. My parents are Greek. Yes I was born in Canada. But yes I have lived in Greece with my grandparents while my parents were struggling to make a life here. It’s the first language I spoke, the first everything was in Greece. So that would make me a lot more Greek than Baldock. Anyway, we’re talking about BAldock!!! If you can’t find a player as good as baldock in Greece , then we have problems as a nation. It’s BAldock for F***s sakes. Not maldini. Not Roberto Carlos. baldock!! Sorry man nothing personal, I just want Greek kids to get a chance. They would play for pride. baldock would treat it to further his career. That’s not what international soccer should be about. 

56 minutes ago, J1078 said:

Tsimikas tests positive for covid, all players and staff are waiting for their  results before they can confirm whether they can play on Sunday or the game is cancelled.

The Rule from Uefa as I understand it is, if a player tests positive and you can still filled a team of 13 players including a goalie without calling anyone else up then you can play, if not you take the lose, if both teams have covid cases and can’t field 13 players then it’s considered a draw..

Terrible blow. 

To be dropped immidiatelly; Bakakis, Paschalakis, Mantalos, Svarnas, Lampropoulos, Rota, Michailidis etc.

Vlachodimos, Barkas, Dioudis

Tsimikas, Kyriakopoulos, Giannoulis

Manolas, Sokratis, Mavropanos, Siovas

Baldock, Retsos

Zeca, Vasileiadis, Kourmpelis

Samaris, Galanopoulos, Bouchalakis

Donis, Masouras, Limnios, Fortounis, Pavlidis, Koulouris, Fountas

That's basically one of the best squads we can field up at the moment that leaves outside every mediocre trash that has been around in order to secure a good transfer/sale for his club.

I’d put Hatzidiakos and Mantalos in the team instead of Sokratis and Samaris. 

Hatzidiakos is better than Sokratis in all aspects. Sokratis is starting to slow down. Mantalos should be involved. He’s not being utilised correctly. He’s not a winger or striker. He’s a CAM or CM.

Fetfatzidis deserves a spot somewhere. Had a great season with Aris. 

I agree with everything else.

• Like it 2

1 hour ago, Dean97 said:

I’d put Hatzidiakos and Mantalos in the team instead of Sokratis and Samaris. 

Hatzidiakos is better than Sokratis in all aspects. Sokratis is starting to slow down. Mantalos should be involved. He’s not being utilised correctly. He’s not a winger or striker. He’s a CAM or CM.

Fetfatzidis deserves a spot somewhere. Had a great season with Aris. 

I agree with everything else.

I just left Hatzidiakos out because I think he is currently unavailable due to injury.

How good is the Greek MESSI??///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////LIMNIOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!YEYE!

Edited by ausgreek
  • Haha 1

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and pinned this topic