Phantis Forums

Suggested Call Ups, Starting 11

Greece are always late with the call-ups when compared to other nations, I'd say there's a good chance they are announced tomorrow. Although traditionally the squad has been revealed on a Friday, so it wouldn't shock me if we have to wait until the end of the week before they go public with the announcement. 

• Like it 1

Greece definitely need to top this group as I said just to have a playoff option in our pocket should we need it. Also Slovenia, Moldova and Kosovo are nothing compared to the countries that we could possibly face in World Cup qualification. Let’s hope we top the group with ease and play well as was the case in the final euro qualifiers.

• Like it 1

I don’t know why Greece release the call ups late. Maybe it’s a strategy so the opposing team don’t have a good amount time to figure out who to look out for. Who knows...

I would like the call ups to be made public soon. I do believe that Van’t Schip has his list ready.

According to this article Rota, Dioudis and Michalidis are going to be called up when JVS announces his squad sometime this week. Interested to see how Rota goes given our need for a right-back. Not surprising that Michalidis will be called up, given Van't Schip's obsession with finding a left footed center back. He's still raw but is showing potential and he is fantastic with the ball at his feet and more than capable of picking out teammates and sending them through. 

• Like it 1

Rather retarded to call up those no namers of Rota, Michailidis and Tzolis based in their performance in just a couple of games. Svarnas and Lampropoulos ahead of Sokratis and Manolas left me speechless.

Managers seems not to have understood the importance of the games, pretty much like his successor Anastasiadis and I see one more campaign going to be wasted. Im tired of this circus.

5 hours ago, Boxou said:

Rather retarded to call up those no namers of Rota, Michailidis and Tzolis based in their performance in just a couple of games. Svarnas and Lampropoulos ahead of Sokratis and Manolas left me speechless.

Managers seems not to have understood the importance of the games, pretty much like his successor Anastasiadis and I see one more campaign going to be wasted. Im tired of this circus.

Dude Sokratis and Manolas are done, they are obviously a cancer in the dressing room and to be honest how far have they got us?? we've gone through how many coaches and we've been losing to the worst teams in the world with both of those guys in the line up. Its time to rebuild the team in a proper way as we saw what happened after our last world cup appearance when guys retired we were screwed. Give JVS a chance man the guy has us playing our best soccer in years.

• Like it 2

Dude Ive been complaining about our teams performance for the last 5 years man so now that we have a coach that finally got something to click and has the team looking confident and playing the most attractive football we've played in years WITHOUT manolas and Socratis you still want to complain??? Just give the guy a chance man..

• Like it 4

J1078 is right. Give him a chance. I like the call ups he made. Most have been playing apart from 2 players which are Stafylidis because he wants him captain and Koulouris because we haven’t got many strikers. I would’ve liked to have seen Fetfatzidis because he can create something out of  nothing but it’s fine. The goal is to go to Qatar. Van’t Schip is trying to rebuild something that is broken. He seems to care for the national team and wants the best for Greece. Let him do his thing because we haven’t gotten anywhere for the last 5 years 

• Like it 3

All I know is when we had Sokratis and Manolas we were losing to heavy weights like Faroe Islands.  In addition we were creating 2 or 3 good chances per match!  What was worse though, was the brand of football we were playing.  It was sad, I mean depressing and downright embarrassing.  It was what you would see from a bunch of players who have retired and now play in pensioner leagues and can't be assed anymore.

Compare that to what we have now where the team plays open football, runs and creates 20+ chances per game.  I know which I prefer.

As to how much Sokratis and Manolas are to blame we can only speculate.  Maybe they are at fault, maybe they aren't and they've been made scapegoats.  Unless you're in there in the club rooms and at the training sessions you can't really know.  All I know is JVS kicked them out and now the team is flying in comparison to what it was.  Maybe one day Manolas might get a call up and if so I trust JVS to make that decision.  End of the day, I'm fine with both of them not being in the team because something was obviously *VERY* wrong.

Edited by Bananas
  • Like it 2

1 hour ago, Bananas said:

All I know is when we had Sokratis and Manolas we were losing to heavy weights like Faroe Islands.  In addition we were creating 2 or 3 good chances per match!  

You're being very generous I reckon there bananas! Scrappy chances or individual moments of brilliance is all we were seeing for the most part.

I agree with everything you said re JVS, the football he has us playing and his handling of Sokratis/Manolas.  He's made us look like a modern football team with our play as well as chalking up a few wins after feeling out the squad. He's earned the respect of the players and most fans. Excited to see these 2 games next week. 

Edited by paokarag4
  • Like it 1

1 hour ago, Dean97 said:

Good post Bananas. Can any PAOK fan please explain how good Michailidis is? Like his strengths and weaknesses...

Haven’t seen him play, I’ve only heard good things.

He’s a very solid defender, strong with head for clearing the ball and a strong tackler. He’s left footed so he plays on the left side of the new 3-CB formation. He tries to make these long cross field passes which works sometimes, but also I’d like to see him play more simple. He didn’t have the best game against Besiktas, he was nervous and it showed. But the passion is there game in and game out.

• Like it 1

Michailidis and Tzolis have sort of come out of nowhere.  They are both from the U/20's and got zero games during the regular season.

In the play offs, Michailidis played 90 minutes in the last 4 games.  Granted by then the title race was over so he got given a shot and seems to have seized the opportunity.  With Ferreira now switching to a formation with 3 CB's it seems he will get even more game time.  By all accounts he's good with his feet i.e. more technical than your average CB.  How good is he ?  Time will tell.  I am kind of surprised by the call up, but maybe JVS is onto something.  Even if he's not quite ready to play, just being in the NT environment might give him that shot of confidence to push his career along.  He's got a decent free kick on him too.  Check out his free kick at 4:33.

Likewise with Tzolis.  Got called up during the play offs.  Started in a bunch of them and has shown enough to become part of the squad.  He socred a goal nice goal in the play offs and popped in two against Besiktas so again there is something there.

It's up to them now how far they can go.  If they take their career seriously (more training, less Mykonos) and have some luck with injuries, who knows.  Either way, it's refreshing to see youngsters like this with some potential being given an opportunity.

• Like it 1

On 8/26/2020 at 8:57 PM, J1078 said:

Dude Ive been complaining about our teams performance for the last 5 years man so now that we have a coach that finally got something to click and has the team looking confident and playing the most attractive football we've played in years WITHOUT manolas and Socratis you still want to complain??? Just give the guy a chance man..

Exactly. Our play under JVS has improved with faster ball movement leading to great attacking play and pressing high to win the ball back. With Sokratis and Manolas the team looked sluggish and the poor attitude they brought during the Italy match then turned into a complete debacle in the loss at home to Armenia.

I don’t think JVS will bring back Sokratis, as for Manolas maybe he takes a chance on him he’s still young and is a world class defender as long as he just shows up and plays the game he can definitely help us. We shall see.

overall I see the team is moving forward with a great vision and energy that JVS has brought in.

• Like it 1

It's ok if you guys prefer to see a left back as Stafylidis playing at CB or some no namers as Michailidis and Rota being chosen based in their average performance in a couple of games.

Btw no Vlachodimos either and that clown Paschalakis is still around the team?

Very bad selection overall, shows the complex towards Sokratis and Manolas the managers has when he calls up freaking Svarnas and 30year old Lambropoulos who's been rotating between the SECOND leagues of Spain and Germany..

• Like it 1

Just like @Ellada2004 said,  Socratis is done maybe JVS will give Manolas a chance down the road but obviously there is a problem with these players attitude that causes problems in the dressing room or put pressure on the coach for player selection so why would anyone ever select them if that’s the case?  We knew this team needed to be rebuilt and change the attitude of the team. What is the point of having those guys in the lineup if it’s going to bring down the moral of the team? Not sure you were complaining when we beat Finland, Bosnia, And so on without those guys in the lineup but Im sure you complained when we lost to Armenia for F*** sakes with Manolas in the line up.. Let’s just wait and see we have our two toughest matches in the group coming up and let’s see how the team performs as I think JVS deserves that chance due to the difference he’s made with the team in such a short time frame..

Edited by J1078
  • Like it 1

49 minutes ago, Boxou said:

It's ok if you guys prefer to see a left back as Stafylidis playing at CB or some no namers as Michailidis and Rota being chosen based in their average performance in a couple of games.

Very bad selection overall, shows the complex towards Sokratis and Manolas the managers has when he calls up freaking Svarnas and 30year old Lambropoulos who's been rotating between the SECOND leagues of Spain and Germany..

MEEEE-YOWW!

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Boxou said:

I think most of us don’t want to see Stafylidis starting at all. He hasn’t played for a while and he isn’t the greatest defender. He does bring leadership and other good things but defensively I do think he isn’t solid enough.

Just curious, who else would you have brought in to replace Manolas and Sokratis? Mavropanos is slightly injured and Retsos hasn’t played for 6 months or so. Both I would’ve taken if playing and healthy. Also K.Papadopoulos has left the earth it seems. 

I know you want the best for the team but we have to look at the bigger picture. This team needs rebuilding and Van’t Schip is trying to find the best options possible for every position. 

• Like it 1

Mavropanos who?

4 hours ago, AchillesHeel said:

Maybe your memory is not that great but these 2 hung Anastasiadis out to dry....why would Schippy call them back and have them do the same to him if they (like you) don't agree with his selections or game tactics.

^ this 100%

Oh so you think trying to kick this fcking Anastasiadis out of the team was a bad thing at all? Football itself has surpassed the old man who seems to be living in 1995.

And let me apologize if I actually believe that we have better chances to qualify for a big tourney with a defender of Sokratis and Manolas' quality instead of some superleague rejects. It's just complex unless you think that the team plays better with a left back (and him being Stafylidis, whose career has been in a downfall since 2018) in the CB position.

Btw I wonder what EPO and the manager have done about Baldock's issue who is a starter in a premier league team and if I remember correctly he didn't miss a singe minute last season in a great season for their team? I guess they don't care at all having such a player in the squad, that Rota guy who is a no namer in the Dutch league and Mpakakis who can't cross the ball above 20 CM are better for his game?

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and pinned this topic