Phantis Forums

Suggested Call Ups, Starting 11

On the other hand I think we have quite some depth in the rest of defensive positions, with Siovas, Mavropanos, Chatzidiakos, Retsos and Sokratis with Manolas in the CB position, as well as in the LB position with Kyriakopoulos and Lykogiannis who are having good seasons in Serie along with Tsimikas and Giannoulis who are supposed to be moving overseas sooner than later. Convincing GK with Vlachodimos and Barkas being the 2 main competitors

However we are rather mediocre in the midfield, I don't think anyone of Kourmpelis or Galanopoulos is enough to make it to the next level, Samaris has lost his form while Zeca is aging and Tachtsidis might be playing in Serie A but is rather slow. Siopis I dont like, hopefully Vasileiadis proves to be a key addition to the team.

Offensively we are better than the recent past, Fountas, Mpakasetas and Pavlidis had great seasons with their teams and are supposed to earn their transfer real soon, while there's always the quality of Fortounis. Mitroglou had a bad season and I think is not on coach's plans, while Donis has lost his form and Koulouris had a bad second half in the season. Chatzigovannis doesnt cut imo, Mantalos is ok but not for a starter while Limnios needs to work on his dribbling skills.

I agree with most of the things you say. I don’t think Manolas and Sokratis will be back anytime soon. So they are out. I’ve read in the past that Van’t Schip wants a left footed CB. That’s why we’ve seen Siovas and Stafylidis play there. Stafylidis doesn’t cut it as a CB so he shouldn’t play there. Siovas will most likely get the spot. 

He was also thinking of playing Kyriakopoulos in the friendlies as a LCB. I think he would be better than Stafylidis there. Time will tell.

For RB, I would try different options like Marinakis, Masouras and Lyratzis (who plays for Volos and seems like he’s got something.) We can all agree Bakakis doesn’t cut it for us at RB. Maybe Retsos should play there also. At LB were are fine and well assured with Giannoulis and Tsimikas. 

For the midfield, I think we have to just accept who we’ve got. Kourbelis is a decent number 6 who can shield the defence better than most of the midfielders we have and has lots of energy and some speed to him. I think he is the workhorse of our midfield. In recent Superleague games he scored and provided a couple of assists. He isn’t the best in attack but seems like he is getting better. We need someone (a box to box CM) next to him that can move the ball forward well and attack. Maybe we should put Mantalos deeper in CM to help with this. Someone more dynamic. I would like to see how Vasiliadis does. I also like Siopis, I don’t think we should give up on him. 

Im also not sure how Chatzigiovannis will be for Greece. He looks good in the league but I’m not sure if he is truly cut out for the big stage. Time will tell with him. The only thing that can convince people about him is if he lifts those numbers up in assists and goals. I rate Lazaros Lamprou more. Limnios is good, proven it with PAOK and Greece. He’s still young but has been consistently playing with PAOK for the past 2 seasons. He is still developing and is propably one of our best wingers. Which then leads me to Fetfatzidis. You can’t count this guy out. He’s had a great season for Aris and was voted fans MVP of the season. Has been consistent in his performances this season and is definitely a great impact sub to have. That’s if Van’t Schip doesn’t put him in the starting lineup.

Upfront, Fountas had the best season of his life. Scoring 20 goals and 8 assists or something. Definitely needs to be given a shot. Pavlidis has some competition now. I still believe Donis is important for Greece. Bakasetas has transformed himself this season and seems like a different player. Let’s hope he keeps getting better and better. We also have Fortounis and Pelkas (if he ever decides to pull up his sleeves and get to work.)

Also at keeper Vlachodimos and Barkas are the ones that standout, but Dioudis, Paschalakis and Mandas can force their way in if they continue their good form. 

Edited by Dean97

Manolas has still a lot to offer. 

Samaris can only be a 80 min sub in my opinion. Zeka Galanopoulos Kourbelis  Siopis are all mediocre but if stuck with defensive duties we have a pretty solid protection of the defence. Offensively we really are better than before, both on the wings and as a Striker. I want to see Fortounis take his form back after his injury. 

GK stacked

CB / LB stacked

CDMs is a hole with mediocre players. Siopis is good in transition Samaris is also decent in transition. I would really hope Mantalos starts playing the 8 role because he is really good at that. Not much better up front or as a winger. (actually terrible winger)

Attacking midfielders wingers decent with Fortounis Bakasetas Lamprou Limnios Masouras Donis 

RB is a question. Maybe move Zeka in RB and bring Vasiliades in

Striker I d rather keep a mikro kalathi for Pavlidis although he seems promising.

Waiting for the Greek transfers : Pavlidis - Limnios - Bakasetas - Tsimikas are the hottest names of Greeks moving. Vasiliadis also seems like he l be transfering in a bundes team.

Edited by Rockafeller Skank

• 2 weeks later...

I believe Tsimikas will be our number 1 LB going forward. He just signed for Liverpool and he had a great season for Olympiakos. On top of that Van’t Schip has said good things about him. Unless he isn’t thinking of changing the winning lineup. He would have to find replacements though for Hatzidiakos and Galanopoulos as they are both recovering still. My replacements would be Mavropanos and Vasiliadis.

It's a big year for Mavropanos at Stuttgart, needs to be a starter and keep himself fit. If he does that can easily see him starting for the Ethniki, there is no one player atm who has cemented their spot at center back for the NT.  I can't see Sokratis/Manolas returning anytime soon so the spots really are up for grabs. Stafylidis is serviceable against weaker opposition but he's not a long time solution, plus he hardly played at club level over the last season. Hatzdiakos looked solid but is coming off a long term injury and is still a little unproven. Siovas is aging but has a role to play, especially with Sokrati and Manolas out. Retsos too has missed a lot of football through injury and then falling out of favour. 

Bottom line is there are spots up for grabs, it's on the certain players to perform at club level and make those spots their own. 

Well we have our 1st game coming up, which is September the 3rd. Mavropanos seems the most impressive. He also has been playing. Siovas seems like the other candidate for CB. Both these guys seem like they will start. I’m not a big fan of Poungouras who has been mentioned in the past. I’d rather see Mavropanos play. Van’t Schip might go with Stafylidis at CB but he hasn’t played lately so who know what will happen. He has named him captain. Which is interesting because Van’t Schip has mentioned he will only select player who are playing and who are in form. So does that mean Stafylidis is not playing? Just seems weird to name a guy captain who doesn’t play regularly for his club.

7 hours ago, J1078 said:

Is Baldock eligible to play for us?  Does anyone have the schedule of who we play and when?  I know our first game is September the 3rd. 

Check our greece national football team Wikipedia. At the bottom there is the team's schedule. We also have some friendlies. About 8 matches in September October and November.

• Like it 1

14 hours ago, J1078 said:

Boys how does winning group C in the nations league help us for the world cup if at all? 

I believe it gets us into a playoff bracket where 3 teams will qualify for the World Cup along with the 10 group winners. Greece needs to top this group and have that playoff option and we need to start moving up the FIFA rankings.

• Like it 2

On 8/19/2020 at 8:59 PM, nasl said:

Jose holevas is back in greece and just signed with olmpiakos

https://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/sport/18658722.former-watford-star-jose-holebas-signs-olympiakos/

Could we see a return to the national team ?

For the last campaign I said we should have him but now I don’t think he fits in especially with JVS shift to playing more of the younger guys.

• Like it 1

With Ilicic probably having quit football for a while (rumours that his wife cheated on him - thats why he missed the match vs PSG) there is no way I can see us not winning this Group. I am kinda scared of Kossovo because its a big question mark. Noone knows their true level yet, but even if they manage to draw - win us once I doubt they will not drop points vs other 2.

We can’t take any team lightly. We have to do our job regardless of who we face. It’s embarrassing how low we are in the rankings. It’s no excuse losing and drawing against the likes of Faroes and Lichtenstein...

I want to see the same kind of effort and passion as we saw in the last four games we played. We must top the group. We can’t accept anything less.

Edited by Dean97
  • Like it 2

Bottom line is if we cant top this group then how can we think we have a chance at the world cup qualifiers.... Sure this group has a couple of tricky teams but lets be honest its GROUP C not A or B we have to top this group no excuses. Its embarrassing enough that we have fallen this low now its time to start climbing upwards and get back to some sort of respectability as a team because for the last few years we have fallen just above minnow status..

• Like it 2

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and pinned this topic