Phantis Forums

Suggested Call Ups, Starting 11

On 3/1/2020 at 8:41 AM, Jimmyp said:

Lmao. I was gonna say the same thing. Please don’t call him up. 

You guys are ridiculous, so a player has a bad moment or a bad game, and he is automatically trash? Gia sovareutite reeeeeeee Sokratis and Manolas should be automatic starters at cb every time they are healthy this is a no brainer.

19 hours ago, Tzatziki said:

You guys are ridiculous, so a player has a bad moment or a bad game, and he is automatically trash? Gia sovareutite reeeeeeee Sokratis and Manolas should be automatic starters at cb every time they are healthy this is a no brainer.

Why is it a no brainer? How many games have we won with both of them playing over the last 4 years? They were dictating which players should be called up and starting  and obviously creating a bad environment for the younger players when they didn’t get their way. The minute both of them were not called up Greece started playing the best football they have played in years.. The problem is the minute you call both of these players up and you don’t start them or limit their minutes they will immediately bring a bad vibe to the team. Personally I would keep them off the team for now because with both of these players it has to be all or nothing meaning if they don’t start or are benched they won’t sit back and just be supportive and will it have a negative effect on the team.

Edited by J1078
  • Like it 1

19 hours ago, Tzatziki said:

Lately he hasn’t been playing well at all. Anyway I agree with j1078. A lot of players have a lot of talent but are poison to their teams. You can be one of the best players but once you bring a bad attitude it starts rubbing off on others. It’s the same with any work environment. 

• Like it 1

Right now with the injuries could be hard to not include them but J1078 is 100% in all his points. 

It's rather bizarre - Manolas at CB is a beast and right now, I actually think Socratis at RB would be rather good for us too HOWEVER we saw a transformed team when these two have not been included and we lost ridiculous games with these two there. To play devils advocate to myself and us... how much better could we be with the system JVS is using and implementing with these two at the back... we could even get better BUT only with them been 100% committed to supporting what the new chapter looks like and not ever putting themselves above the team 

Edited by Alphonse
  • Like it 2

5 hours ago, AchillesHeel said:

Personally, I like both Manolas and Sokratis, though they both displayed a crappy attitude with Anastasiades. The problem is that we can't build any play up the middle due to the fact that our DMs are hardworking, ditch digging types who have very little ability in terms of building up the game, so JVS put Hatzidiakos and Staf (who are pretty good at moving the ball) in the back and that proved to make a huge difference. Sok and Man don't provide that aspect of the game and if you have players like Zeca, Kourbelis, Galanopoulos etc. as a shield in front of the CBs the defensive capabilities of Sok and Man are not as valuable as being able to move the ball and transition the play.

This is spot on. This is why I have praised Hatzidiakos. He’s able to build play from the back. Stafylidis is good at this aswell. Manolas and Sokratis seemed inadequate in this aspect of the game. Defensively they are untouchable. But as time goes on it makes more sense playing Manolas next to Hatzidiakos in the future. There are a lot of question marks regarding Manolas and Sokratis attitude towards the national team. 

I was hoping back then that Tachtsidis would be the type of DM who can build play from the middle but he is way too inconsistent and very limited in most aspects his game. Anyways I believe JVS knows what he has to do as he has plans in place.

Edited by Dean97

@AchillesHeel

What do you think the reason is for JVS having played Bakasetas at CAM and Mantalos on the left? Even though Bakasetas has done slightly better under JVS I still think Mantalos or even Fetfa should’ve been the 10. I personally would’ve played Mantalos at CAM and someone else on the left. Maybe Fetfa or Masouras. 

From what I saw in the last 4 games Bakasetas is strong physically and doesn’t get pushed off the ball easily unlike Fortounis. Bakasetas has a great shot and is capable of playing a simple game. He also works hard off the ball.

The things that I don’t like about him is that he loses the ball most of the time either misplacing a pass or losing the ball when it’s at his feet. He is also a slow player physically and also mentally. I find it a bit hard to justify the reason for him being in the 10 spot for the last 4 games even though we’ve been playing better. 

2 hours ago, AchillesHeel said:

Tactically I think Schippy wanted some brawns and grit in the 10 spot and Bakasetas delivered. I think Bakasetas works his a$$ off in practice, has a positive attitude and gains the trust of the coaches in that way (they can't all be crazy or paid off)....probably Staf as well...I can't see any other reason and it would have been easy to drop both these players a while back when things looked grim, right now both have played an important part in the turn around of the NT. A successful team is greater than the sum of all its parts....if you win with Bakasetas as a 10 or a 9 and Staf as CB, you would be inclined to continue using them at these positions if they are effective although I think JVS has an evolving attitude towards the players. A win justifies the decisions a coach makes and a loss brings criticism....it's as simple as that. Also Bakasetas has had a very good year in Turkey and has been playing very well lately regardless of his shortcomings. I think the Schipster is trying to balance things out so the team can function as an ensemble and not as a group of individuals who are chosen only on the basis of their talent/skill.

Thanks for your reply. It makes sense the way you put it. I trust JVS. I think he sees the bigger picture and knows what he has to do. We have seen a massive improvement with the teams performances and that’s without our “big stars”, which says a lot. I’m very eager to see what he has planned later this month. 

As for the CB's I spruked from 2020, Manolas and Sok to be again considered, although, I also mentioned I wouldn't pick them. maybe Manolas. It depends on the results of the next couple of matches in the near future. one or both could get a call up. These guys know they cannot get away with crap or JVS will get the rod out.

Edited by ausgreek

Let’s not move backwards we just starting to see results and the type of team that has some creativity and balance. Manolas and Socratis don’t offer any pace moving the ball forwards the way JVS wants to play.. it would be great if they were the type of players that can be called up and support the team whether they play or not but they will cause a stink and I would not take the chance to disrupt what the coach has tried to build so far.  In a perfect world they are called up and only play when the teams needs to shut it down to secure points.  Let’s see if JVS is willing to give them a chance during these March friendless to see if they can fit in with his style of play. 

• 1 month later...

Hey guys I just been wondering for a while and would like to know where everyone stands on this topic...

What do you guys think of Stafylidis as captain? 

Should he be captain going forward? 

Where do we put him if Sokratis and Manolas do return?

Should he change position? Maybe LW or even CDM/CM?

I know some like him here and some don’t but I’m just going to say that I do think he has a place in the squad. I don’t think he should be at LB because we have a lot of good talent there such as Tsimikas and Giannoulis. Even Kyriakopoulos is up there. He’s also made mistakes there. 

I wouldn’t put him at RB. Wouldn’t seem right to put him there since he is left footed.

I also wouldn’t put him on the wings. In my opinion I think he can be a great CDM or CM. Maybe he should come off the bench and provide some of his great long shots as that is his best attribute in my opinion. He isn’t a bad passer either. He has great energy, determination and seems to really care about Greece. I don’t think he can be overlooked. 

At the same time I’m 50/50 on whether he is starter or a bench player. I do see some good qualities. I think we should put him somewhere where we could best utilise his strengths. 

What are everyone else’s thoughts and suggestions? 

Edited by Dean97

Here is a recent interview with the coach.. I figured I would share just to give us something to discuss during this madness going on in the world.. I’ve really become a fan of this coach. I was on the fence when they hired him but it looks like they made a good choice..

https://www.agonasport.com/agonasport-allnews/van-t-schip-our-goal-is-to-qualify-for-the-next-major-tournament

• Like it 2

On 4/19/2020 at 8:48 PM, Dean97 said:

Hey guys I just been wondering for a while and would like to know where everyone stands on this topic...

What do you guys think of Stafylidis as captain? 

Should he be captain going forward? 

Where do we put him if Sokratis and Manolas do return?

Should he change position? Maybe LW or even CDM/CM?

I know some like him here and some don’t but I’m just going to say that I do think he has a place in the squad. I don’t think he should be at LB because we have a lot of good talent there such as Tsimikas and Giannoulis. Even Kyriakopoulos is up there. He’s also made mistakes there. 

I wouldn’t put him at RB. Wouldn’t seem right to put him there since he is left footed.

I also wouldn’t put him on the wings. In my opinion I think he can be a great CDM or CM. Maybe he should come off the bench and provide some of his great long shots as that is his best attribute in my opinion. He isn’t a bad passer either. He has great energy, determination and seems to really care about Greece. I don’t think he can be overlooked. 

At the same time I’m 50/50 on whether he is starter or a bench player. I do see some good qualities. I think we should put him somewhere where we could best utilise his strengths. 

What are everyone else’s thoughts and suggestions? 

I like Stafy but I think he’s a bench player not a starter. A captain of the team needs to be a regular starter and role player IMO.. Right now I don’t know who that is as we have a lot of new faces and young guys on the team. Maybe Fortounis but he looks disinterested sometimes and other times he looks brilliant but not sure if he has the character needed to be captain..

I’m probably on my own in saying this but I don’t think I want to see Socratis back on the team. Manolas maybe I give a chance to see if he fits in nicely.. but as I said before with these two guys it’s all or nothing for them. So they won’t be okay with being benched..

• Like it 1

Yeah I wouldn’t bring Sokratis back. I believe Hatzidiakos should take his place. Hatzidiakos could be our future captain. I would bring back Manolas though. The reason being is that Retsos and Mavropanos haven’t done enough to warrant a starting spot. Also Stafylidis isn’t made for CB.

Also we have too many talented LBs and Stafylidis isn’t one of them. Maybe he should be a bench player. Fortounis to me is lazy. He needs to do more and that’s the one thing that’s holding him back. Podence has said on Instagram. Talented player but is lazy. We don’t need that in this new Greece squad. I’d only be willing to have Fortounis back if he works harder. 

• Like it 1

• 1 month later...

Only problem is we are talking about finishing a player from the NT in the age of 32 and replacing with someone, who definitely is talented as looks to have a bright career but at the moment cant be considered as a proven international player and if I recall correctly he is seriously injured?

I do agree about Stafylidis' level being dropped down, although I can see him going back to PAOK since they are looking to sell Giannoulis and Stafylidis would be a perfect replacement. Kyriakopoulos of Sassuolo had had a great season with them, so did Tsimikas. Lykogiannis lost his place in Calgiari while Koutris at Mallorca got seriously injured and will be back from loan to Olympiakos in a few months. Has to work hard to earn a spot there. The one who I'm not sold yet is Giannoulis imo, he is literally worse than Kyriakopoulos and Tsimikas in every aspect but he keeps starting over them?

Btw a player who needs to be in the next call ups should be Fountas of Rapid Wien, he has scored 14 goals in the Austrian League this season and definitely needs to be higher in the rotation than freaking Chatzigiovannis, Pelkas and so on...

• Like it 1

On 5/29/2020 at 5:46 AM, Boxou said:

Only problem is we are talking about finishing a player from the NT in the age of 32 and replacing with someone, who definitely is talented as looks to have a bright career but at the moment cant be considered as a proven international player and if I recall correctly he is seriously injured?

I do agree about Stafylidis' level being dropped down, although I can see him going back to PAOK since they are looking to sell Giannoulis and Stafylidis would be a perfect replacement. Kyriakopoulos of Sassuolo had had a great season with them, so did Tsimikas. Lykogiannis lost his place in Calgiari while Koutris at Mallorca got seriously injured and will be back from loan to Olympiakos in a few months. Has to work hard to earn a spot there. The one who I'm not sold yet is Giannoulis imo, he is literally worse than Kyriakopoulos and Tsimikas in every aspect but he keeps starting over them?

Btw a player who needs to be in the next call ups should be Fountas of Rapid Wien, he has scored 14 goals in the Austrian League this season and definitely needs to be higher in the rotation than freaking Chatzigiovannis, Pelkas and so on...

For the 1st paragraph, if your talking about Hatzidiakos then for me he has proven he’s got what it takes. The goals we copped were mostly from Stafylidis errors in my opinion. The goals Italy scored was from Bouchalakis hand ball and a shot from range which should’ve been closed down from our midfielders.

Giannoulis has convinced me that he is good. Before I didn’t think he was good but after seeing him play I can say he has got a big future ahead of him. We are lucky to have a good amount of depth at LB. RB is the problem. 

Ive always likes Fountas has got energy and is capable of scoring goals. Also he has a lot of courage. He can play many positions like CAM, Wing and ST. He is also very fast which is another positive. 

• Like it 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, J1078 said:

Has the NT still not decided on where they are going to play there home games yet? 

Haven’t read or seen any news about it.. Hopefully they decide with something soon and hopefully it’s something other than the OAKA.

• Like it 1

We are so poor in right back position, Bakakis isn't even half decent for modern football to begin with. Federation should fcking move their ass and give the passport to John Baldock who's playing for Sheffield United in the Premier League and teamed up with Retsos last season. He has Greek background and has officially stated he'd accept a call up in the future, but I guess we are thrilled with what Bakakis is offering in the offensive end..

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and pinned this topic