Phantis Forums

Suggested Call Ups, Starting 11

Albanis from AEK and some of the PAO youngsters (look at their goal today) would make our team 10 more mobile, skillful, faster and determined. Have some of the current guys for mongrel in the middle but really think we need to start going down this path soon instead of watching retarded football

Edited by Alphonse
  • Like it 1

On 7/28/2019 at 4:35 AM, Alphonse said:

Albanis from AEK and some of the PAO youngsters (look at their goal today) would make our team 10 more mobile, skillful, faster and determined. Have some of the current guys for mongrel in the middle but really think we need to start going down this path soon instead of watching retarded football

Very true man. I’ve been wanting these players to be involved by now. I think it’s their time now. They are players who can play ball. 

Edited by Dean97

• 1 month later...

Two players currently in good form are Velios and Diamantakos.

https://www.contra.gr/podosfairo/diamantakos-o-punk-for-stin-ypiresia-tis-zankt-paoyli.7502302.html?utm_source=Contra&utm_medium=TopStories_article&utm_campaign=24MediaWidget&utm_term=Pos3

Even though Velios and Diamantakos were not too good when they started for the NT they should not be disregarded if their form is good.

Along with Mitroglou, Koulouris, Masouras, Fetfatzidis and Pavlidis we have some forward options. The problems are central and DM positions.

Edited by kbxk508

I really feel we need to start looking at two forwards, perhaps the above two could help but they did have opportunities not long ago and failed.

Here is a line up I would use

______________________Barkas

__________Siovas________Sokratis___Manolas

_______________Zeca______Galanopoulos

Fetfa________________Mantalos____________Koutris

_____________Donis
_____________________Koulouris

Mix and match, get in the mix: Pavlidis, Gianoulis, Natsos, Retsos, Limnios, Bouchlalakis, Kourbelis, Tsimikas, Masouras, Vasiliadis, Bouzoukis, Risvanis, Androutsos, Katranis, Kampetsis, Gianniotas, Mitroglou, Gentzoglou

Edited by Alphonse
  • Like it 2
  • Thanks 1

statistically speaking we dominate the games we are supposed to dominate barring top 10 opposition. The problem is just that we lack finishing.

Our strikers are not the best and/or not in best form.

Goals win games.

So if we're going to go for Mitroglou we need to play attackers that can feed him properly. IE) Torosidis = crossing into him. Tsimikas = crossing into him. Fortounis = through ball splitting the defense.

If we're going to start Koulouris, crossing is out of the question because he's not good in the air. We need to focus on ground balls. Again, Fortounis = through ball splitting the defense. Fetfazidis = ground balls from the wings (cut backs), Tsimikas = pinpoint ground ball cutbacks.

Basically Koulours = cut backs or a split of the defense through centre.

Mitroglou = aerial balls.

Could also do a double striker diamond formation so we can get mitro in air and koulouris to bury the ground balls. Koulouris can also assist decently I think maybe. Mitroglou is left footed and Koulouris right footed so could work.

Mitroglou Koulouris

Donis       Fortounis          Fetfa

Zeca 

Tsimikas Sok Man     Torosidis

Vlacho

CM looks very thin with this not sure Zeca could do all the work just an idea.

or cater to your striker. If we play koulouris we must play fetfa.

Shame that holebas isn't on the team though as he's the finest crosser and has chem with Mitroglou. They're good friends german greek connection and party together in mykonos. Maybe they could come up with some plays while sipping Frappe.

Honestly doubt mentality has to do with this I think it's just we've lacked potency in the attacking third. The desire is there. You need to cater to your striker.

Edited by georgelaz
  • Like it 1

4 hours ago, georgelaz said:

statistically speaking we dominate the games we are supposed to dominate barring top 10 opposition. The problem is just that we lack finishing.

Goals win games.

So if we're going to go for Mitroglou we need to play attackers that can feed him properly. IE) Torosidis = crossing into him. Tsimikas = crossing into him. Fortounis = through ball splitting the defense.

If we're going to start Koulouris, crossing is out of the question because he's not good in the air. We need to focus on ground balls. Again, Fortounis = through ball splitting the defense. Fetfazidis = ground balls from the wings (cut backs), Tsimikas = pinpoint ground ball cutbacks.

Could also do a double striker diamond formation so we can get mitro in air and koulouris to bury the ground balls. Koulouris can also assist decently I think maybe. Mitroglou is left footed and Koulouris right footed so could work.

Mitroglou Koulouris

Zeca 

Vlacho

Shame that holebas isn't on the team though as he's the finest crosser and has chem with Mitroglou. They're good friends german greek connection and party together in mykonos. Maybe they could come up with some plays while sipping Frappe.

Honestly doubt mentality has to do with this I think it's just we've lacked potency in the attacking third. The desire is there. You need to cater to your striker.

Good to hear from you. 

Id do this...

Vlachodimos

Retsos Manolas Sokratis

Donis Zeca Mantalos Tsimikas

Fetfatzidis Pavlidis Vrousai

3-4-3. Fetfatzidis can take players on and put some nice through balls on the floor. Tsimikas can whip in crosses as Pavlidis and Vrousai are great in the air. Zeca as the 6 and Mantalos as the 8. We need some creativity from deep. This formation can become 4-2-3-1 instantly if things need changing. Fetfatzidis as the 10 and Donis and Vrousai outwide. Both can do damage on the wings. Possession football with urgent pressing. 

Edited by Dean97
  • Like it 2

On 9/24/2019 at 3:55 PM, georgelaz said:

Goals win games.

Mitroglou Koulouris

Zeca 

Vlacho

Going into the matches with Italy and Bosnia Van't Schip has to call up Mitroglou he is our best bet to score goals given the #9s we have at our disposal. 

On 9/27/2019 at 9:12 PM, AchillesHeel said:

Just what we need....more CBs. Triantafylopoulos is a kreas....at least what I saw of him while at PAO. That would be a waste of a spot. I agree Hatzidiakos is quite a good player. Is Schipper going to move away from the Manolas-Papastathopoulos combination? I doubt it so it would be pointless adding to the list of CBs unless he just wants to see and evaluate them at the pregame preps.

If I was going for a 3 CB setup (I wouldn't do that unless there was time to prepare and there isn't) I would put Siovas behind Sokratis and Manolas as a aweeper so that he can cleanup and play the ball out. Retsos shouldn't be getting called up until he starts playing at his club....I imagine this is why Hatzidiakos is being summoned (as a bench option). I think Mantalos is the key if he is played in the middle of the pitch to make the transitional plays. I would go with Pavlidis up front as he is on fire where as the rest of our strikers have been underwhelming.

Do you mean Mantalos should play as a 6 or 10? In any case this is my prediction for the upcoming games:

Vlachodimos , Paschalakis, Barkas, Natsos, Bakakis, Manolas, Trianta, Sokratis, Siovas, Hatzidiakos, Tsimikas, Giannoulis, Zeca, Kourbelis, Bouchalakis, Samaris??, Mantalos, Vrousai, Fetfatzidis, Masouras, Pelkas??, Vellios, Pavlidis, Koulouris, Donis.

Thats 25 players. Question marks on Samaris because he hasn’t been playing much and Pelkas has an injury. Not sure if Mitroglou will get the call. Pavlidis and Koulouris have been scoring. Vellios is also in good form and Donis has started playing again. We can all agree Samaris hasn’t done much for the Ethniki and shouldn’t be involved anymore. Tachtsidis and Lykogiannis can be good options as they have been playing well and have had many matches.

Edited by Dean97

18 hours ago, Dean97 said:

Do you mean Mantalos should play as a 6 or 10? In any case this is my prediction for the upcoming games:

Vlachodimos , Paschalakis, Barkas, Natsos, Bakakis, Manolas, Trianta, Sokratis, Siovas, Hatzidiakos, Tsimikas, Giannoulis, Zeca, Kourbelis, Bouchalakis, Samaris??, Mantalos, Vrousai, Fetfatzidis, Masouras, Pelkas??, Vellios, Pavlidis, Koulouris, Donis.

Thats 25 players. Question marks on Samaris because he hasn’t been playing much and Pelkas has an injury. Not sure if Mitroglou will get the call. Pavlidis and Koulouris have been scoring. Vellios is also in good form and Donis has started playing again. We can all agree Samaris hasn’t done much for the Ethniki and shouldn’t be involved anymore. Tachtsidis and Lykogiannis can be good options as they have been playing well and have had many matches.

Leave Samaris off the team. Van't Schip has to bring Mitroglou back in especially vs Italy who will not give us many opportunities, so if one opens up he would be best bet to score. 

Also siovas has to get some playing time in the back.. 

13 minutes ago, Ellada2004 said:

Leave Samaris off the team. Van't Schip has to bring Mitroglou back in especially vs Italy who will not give us many opportunities, so if one opens up he would be best bet to score. 

Also siovas has to get some playing time in the back.. 

I agree. I forgot to add Bouzoukis because I read somewhere he could be involved in the upcoming matches. Quality player. 

• Like it 1

2 minutes ago, AchillesHeel said:

I would play him as a kind of 8 (because of our lack of proper transition in the midfield) in front of Zeca and another DM. He seems fit at the moment and is a hard working player with decent vision, speed and passing abilities who would make our game much faster, rather than depending our other slow, bumbling options (Taxidis, Samaris, etc). I know its not his regular position but we don't have anyone else really who can do this. Zeca and his partner can do most of the dirty work and he would concentrate on transitioning the play which is what has been lacking most in the NT play.

It seems you want to put Mantalos in a more deeper CAM role instead of an advanced one. I don’t mind that but I think Mantalos should be the 8 alongside Zeca who can be the 6. I would have either Bouzoukis or Albanis for the advanced 10 role. Fetfatzidis can play there also. We have trouble bringing the ball forward from deep and I think Mantalos can help with that and offer extra support in attack. He would also have to focus on defence and protect it as much as he can, which means he has a big task.

I just think our build up play is not good enough and I think having either Pelkas or Mantalos in the 8 position in this case Mantalos would be the best solution.

• Like it 1

Apparently Torosidis is retiring. 
Interesting to see whether Sokratis and Manolas is a permanent thing or they are being left out because we have conceded we aren't qualifying for  Euro 2020 and they've asked to be left out to focus on their club form/fitness

If Van't Schip has seen something he doesn't like in the dressing rooms from these guys then it brings back memories of Rehhagel in 2002, when he booted Georgatos, Zikos and others. Now this can obviously back fire because one: those 2 are by far our best center backs and two: It could upset the rest of the squad and the revolving coaching door of the ethniki will continue. 

If they cut all the senior guys (which maybe the case if Zeca and Mitro are indeed left out) the younger generation are probably inclined to take the opportunity with both hands and really establish themselves/rebuild the NT with Van't Schip.  If that is the case I hope the younger guys don't turn on the coach, work hard take this chance, thrive on the responsibility. Get us back contending for qualification in the next 2-3 tournaments. 

Edited by paokarag4

As good as Manolas and Socratis  are, maybe these guys along with Toro are a cancer in the dressing room and  and maybe they need to be gone from the team in order for a fresh start. I'm not saying I agree with them not being called up by any means I'm just going by all the comments that the coach has thrown out for example (too many egos on this team) Maybe this is needed in order for the team to take the next step., It's not like Manolas and Socratis have taken control of the team and brought them back to respectability since our last world cup appearance in fact the opposite has happened as we have been losing to horrible teams with these guys in the line up so how much worse can it get if they are truly gone?? Lets be honest  Manolas and Socrates went out of there way to get Angelo fired and said they will not play if he's coaching, so they got there wish and how do they respond?? with a lose in Finland and  Draw at home to Lichtenstein.. Those guys are not leaders at all IMO... 

• Like it 1

I don't know everything said and done behind closed, but I do not agree with this move. 

Despite the fact that Sokratis and Manolas were pierced for Liechtenstein goal, these results were not their fault. These are two generational players for Greece, and treating them like this is a disgrace. Yes, our recent form is also a disgrace, I will say it before anyone else responds, but bad tactics and execution, along with lack of depth and talent in key positions are the culprits here. 

Desperate long-balls, aimless crosses, lazy back-passes, refusal to take on players, inability to enter the opposing box, lack of finishing, etc, cannot be blamed on the centre backs. 

This is a bold move from the manager. I hope we don't see the last of Sokratis and Manolas, but with the next competitive games being in an entire calendar year, I am afraid we will. 

• Like it 2

2 hours ago, paokarag4 said:

Apparently Torosidis is retiring. 
Interesting to see whether Sokratis and Manolas is a permanent thing or they are being left out because we have conceded we aren't qualifying for  Euro 2020 and they've asked to be left out to focus on their club form/fitness

I truly hope a conversation has been had and this decision is, if not mutual, understood by all parties.

Sokratis is tired, is in his thirties and has already contemplated retirement. Manolas has an ego. I am afraid we have seen the last of these two, who were, in the Greek NT context, generational players, especially considering the next competitive matches are in an entire calendar year. 

Sad. 

• Like it 1

If the decision not to include them is due to the fact that they sabotaged the national team in the past then it is a step in the right direction. Time will tell. Schip should use the remaining 4 Euro games to start rebuilding the national team. 

• Like it 2

Great points all round... one point mentioned that is talked about here and nowhere else is Schip’s consistent mention of egos in the dressing room... and being there for the right reasons. We don’t know but maybe these guys were the capitalists of that. 

I ageee on Toro and Samaris, but to go into a game with a very in form Italy and not have Manolas, Sokratis & Zeca is a huge risk. Our most experienced players, our two best CB’s... no one knows the Italians better than Manolas! 

On the field out midfield is our issue, when you play like we do our CB’s are the ones that have to put up with the pressure... that’s where we need to work on & Zeca was the least of that problem 

• Like it 1

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and pinned this topic