Suggested Call Ups, Starting 11

2 hours ago, LaputanMachine said:

I'd like to see something like this

-----------------------Vlachodimos

---------Sokratis-------Siovas-------Manolas

Torosidis------Pelkas----Kourbelis-----Koutris

---------------Fortounis----------Donis

---------------------------Koulouris

Pelkas is a good choice as an 8. You can replace Kourbelis with Zeca if you like. And Donis can also serve as a second striker next to koulouris.

Yes I like that lineup. Hopefully Mitroglou can get back to his scoring ways if he gets the call. 

3 hours ago, LaputanMachine said:

I'd like to see something like this

-----------------------Vlachodimos

---------Sokratis-------Siovas-------Manolas

Torosidis------Pelkas----Kourbelis-----Koutris

---------------Fortounis----------Donis

---------------------------Koulouris

Pelkas is a good choice as an 8. You can replace Kourbelis with Zeca if you like. And Donis can also serve as a second striker next to koulouris.

This line up would be perfect. I’m sick of 2 midfielders that a number 6’s that don’t know how to create. Pelkas or Fortounis in a deeper role would be ideal for us to attack better.

• 2 weeks later...

Mitroglou

Donis Fortounis  Fetfa

Samaris???

Tsimikas Siovas Manolas Sokratis Bakakis

Oydessas

Impact subs

Lazaros for fetfa

Torosidis for Bakakis

Samaris when in form is our best CM he's the only one from the above lacking in form. I don't feel as comfortable with Zeca or Kourbelis or Gala as the sole CM. Or playing out of position Mantalos or Pelkas there.

The wings have reasonable pace with that. Especially our left flank. 3 atb we can absorb the attacks easier plus we have so many good cb's. Retsos and Kpaps as well so if we make this our system it's more robust in case of injury.

5 hours ago, georgelaz said:

Mitroglou

Donis Fortounis  Fetfa

Samaris???

Tsimikas Siovas Manolas Sokratis Bakakis

Oydessas

Impact subs

Lazaros for fetfa

Torosidis for Bakakis

Samaris when in form is our best CM he's the only one from the above lacking in form. I don't feel as comfortable with Zeca or Kourbelis or Gala as the sole CM. Or playing out of position Mantalos or Pelkas there.

The wings have reasonable pace with that. Especially our left flank. 3 atb we can absorb the attacks easier plus we have so many good cb's. Retsos and Kpaps as well so if we make this our system it's more robust in case of injury.

Regarding Samaris I think football has moved on terms of style of play and you need to have faster midfielders. Back in 2014-15 he played his best football post Olympiakos and beginning of Benfica. The one goal he has scored was in the World Cup. The reason why Taxi and Samaris have been dropping lately is because they are slow and have failed to adapt to the current era. Time has moved on and they haven’t. I’ve always liked Samaris though strong, good height, tidy passer but hasn’t proven to provide anything going forward as I think Taxi is better for going forward. Also it would be dangerous to have just 1 midfielder. I would a 5-3-2 if anything. There’s a player called Bouzoukis who is doing very well this season and has a rocket of a shot. His vision is very good also and likes playing that accurate long ball. 

• Like it 1

14 minutes ago, La Mendel said:

Speaking of Fetfa, there is some bad news: http://www.sportime.gr/parafootball/222946/olympiakos-psachnetai-o-fetfatzidis/

I hope it wont be MLS though. The article says he does not want to leave Europe.

He should stay at Oly I don’t know who else would buy him. I don’t understand why he wouldn’t be in Olympiakos plans. He has done well in Europe and provides a solid option on the wing or as a 10.

• Like it 1

After the disastrous results of some Greek teams in their respective Champions League and Europa League groups  (AEK PAOK) and some other Greek teams in the qualification stages of Europa League (Atromitos Asteras) I think we should see that the players of these sides are really bad at international level. If we want a successful Ethniki we should rely on those footballers who have been successful at international level. Of all our teams, only Olympiacos got some results in European Cups this year. The 3-1 win against Milan is the greatest success of Greek football since a long time (at least 2-3 years). Koutris Fortounis Torosidis Fetfatzidis should be called up for the NT. I hope Bouchalakis (who played only a couple of minutes against Milan) will experience similar successes with Olympiacos. It is important that national team players be successful on the European stage. If you won against European top clubs, you will not be afraid of big name players and powerhouses in the national team. Think of the 2002 Panathinaikos or 1999 Olympiacos, or indeed any of our top clubs (Oly Pana AEK) between 2000 and 2005. They got great results against teams like Barcelona (Panathinaikos Barcelona 1-0 with Basinas penalty in 2002) and Real Madrid (AEKs two draws in the group stage, Panathinaikos draw in second group stage in 2002). Basinas Fyssas Katsouranis (then an AEK player) Karagounis Goumas Nikopolidis Seitaridis Giannakopoulos Zagorakis Tsiartas played against world class footballers in the CL, no wonder they won against Spain Portugal France and the likes. Super League teams are now pathetically weak at international level. We dont have such a great pool of Greek footballers who play at home. As I said, basically we have some Olympiacos players, and our best footballers who play for Italian, German and English sides (Manolas Papastathopoulos Mitroglou - they are the best; then Vlachodimos Lykogiannis Siovas Retsos). Those guys who play frequently for Belgian/Austrian/Dutch sides should be called up IMO, as these leagues are stronger now than the "Super" League, according to UEFA rank list. That said, Vellios (who plays regularly for his Belgian team) or Avlonitis (a solid centre back who plays in Austria) offer not much help. Marinos and Lamprou should be considered, perhaps Fountas too. Still, we seem to have a very limited pool of players who are ripe for the NT right now. Perhaps we should consider all soccer players who ply their trade in at least half decent leagues (after all Zeca plays in Denmark and he is our best defensive midfielder)

Id suggest the best squad would consist of Vlachodimos Karnezis - Torosidis Manolas Papastathopoulos Koutris Siovas Retsos Lykogiannis Tsimikas - Zeca Fortounis Bouchalakis - Fetfatzidis Christodoulopoulos Donis Mitroglou.

You see that we practically have only crap midfielders. I think Karagounis could squeeze out many of the current tits even at the age of 41. It is crazy that we dont have better defensive midfielders, Samaris almost never featuring for Benfica, Petsos being not even in the squad of Werder Bremen (I hope he can find a good team, even an Austrian team would be quite okay), Tachtsidis being in a similar position in the Championship, Kourbelis playing for an internationally marginal side and Siopis being who he is. Obviously as long as Taxi and the likes dont play at all, Kourbelis will get the call up, and Bouchalakis is not a jot better himself than Kourbelis.

• Like it 1

19 minutes ago, Dean97 said:

He should stay at Oly I don’t know who else would buy him. I don’t understand why he wouldn’t be in Olympiakos plans. He has done well in Europe and provides a solid option on the wing or as a 10.

I agree. Still, if Christodoulopoulos will be healthy again, Fetfatzidis can easily warm the bench.

I guess Koulouris will be called up as long as he is in such a fine form. If only he could be more effective for the NT than Athanasiadis was.

I think it is useless to whine though. Anastasiadis will call up Koulouris Kourbelis Masouras and the others. He clearly doesnt think Lazaros is as asset for Ethniki. I can only hope Stafylidis, Samaris and Petsos will play regularly in the next season, and Retsos and Lykogiannis will get well soon.

38 minutes ago, La Mendel said:

I agree. Still, if Christodoulopoulos will be healthy again, Fetfatzidis can easily warm the bench.

That is where I disagree. Lazaros hasn’t been the same player he was last season. Here and there he has been good but mostly hasn’t played well. He is regressing in my opinion. Fetfatzidis on the hand can give you an assist or help with the build up play with his quick movement and quick get. He dose need to work on finishing though. Fetfatzidis to me is better than Lazaros.

• Like it 1

Really? he's looked pretty good the games that I saw. He was pivotal in Olympiakos's round of 32 qualification. Didn't he score like 5 goals in group stage?

goal wise he's in the same form as last year.

last year with AEK 47 appearances = 16 goals. 34%

this year with OLY 17 appearances = 6 goals. 35%

Edited by georgelaz

4 hours ago, Dean97 said:

Regarding Samaris I think football has moved on terms of style of play and you need to have faster midfielders. Back in 2014-15 he played his best football post Olympiakos and beginning of Benfica. The one goal he has scored was in the World Cup. The reason why Taxi and Samaris have been dropping lately is because they are slow and have failed to adapt to the current era. Time has moved on and they haven’t. I’ve always liked Samaris though strong, good height, tidy passer but hasn’t proven to provide anything going forward as I think Taxi is better for going forward. Also it would be dangerous to have just 1 midfielder. I would a 5-3-2 if anything. There’s a player called Bouzoukis who is doing very well this season and has a rocket of a shot. His vision is very good also and likes playing that accurate long ball. 

Hmmm dunno about this Dean... Don’t think football moved on and left Samaris and Tachtsidis behind whilst everyone else evolved ? they both prob need to move to dif teams, Tachtsidis was never gona make it in England though let’s be honest.

• Like it 1

We haven’t been enough out of them when they play with the national team unfortunately. They are not as creative as we want them to be and both are slow. We need someone with real vision and and can execute a pass properly. We need someone who can control the middle well. I just don’t understand why they haven’t performed as we would’ve liked. Tachtsidis has regressed for sure but Samaris I don’t know about.... but I’ve read that Benfica fans saying that he is not good enough. 

16 hours ago, La Mendel said:

After the disastrous results of some Greek teams in their respective Champions League and Europa League groups  (AEK PAOK) and some other Greek teams in the qualification stages of Europa League (Atromitos Asteras) I think we should see that the players of these sides are really bad at international level. If we want a successful Ethniki we should rely on those footballers who have been successful at international level. Of all our teams, only Olympiacos got some results in European Cups this year. The 3-1 win against Milan is the greatest success of Greek football since a long time (at least 2-3 years). Koutris Fortounis Torosidis Fetfatzidis should be called up for the NT. I hope Bouchalakis (who played only a couple of minutes against Milan) will experience similar successes with Olympiacos.

So, Ethniki should have dropped all Olympiakos players when their team embarrassed us in Europe? What a typical Olympiakos fan you are my friend! By the way, Olympiakos eliminated Milan, a huge name in European football, which at the moment has OFI's former coach as their coach and this year they won't even make it to Europe. Not only they have no relation with Milan 10 years ago, but they will struggle to finish in the top-8 of Serie A.

Lazaros, Bouchalakis, Fetfatzidis are not good enough and shouldn't be considered for anything more than filling the squad. Those are joke players, not reliable, and certainly not leaders. They will have one good game and then ten mediocre ones. I know you are an Olympiakos fan, but that's why you are -10 from PAOK this year. Because you got literally nothing from these players.

17 hours ago, La Mendel said:

After the disastrous results of some Greek teams in their respective Champions League and Europa League groups  (AEK PAOK) and some other Greek teams in the qualification stages of Europa League (Atromitos Asteras) I think we should see that the players of these sides are really bad at international level. If we want a successful Ethniki we should rely on those footballers who have been successful at international level.

This is complete nonsense. Most players in the Ethniki are not AEK or PAOK players and we still get very bad results.

I have to agree that we do get more out of the Olympiakos players. What has Mantalos, Pelkas and Bakasetas done for us? Fortounis has scored and assisted twice for us. Tsimikas has an assist on his debut. Koutris also impressive. We haven’t seen Lazaros or Fetfa enough to make judgments. Bouchalakis is just a filler in my opinion as we have no one else. 

What this team needs is to play the best players possible in the right positions. I also think Kourbelis is a good addition to the team. He is fast, good tackler and reads the game well. We need someone next to him who is a pure CM that is an all rounder. 

It’s time that we add some youth. Galanopoulos will be in team but I have question marks over what will he bring for us going forward. I have been impressed by Bouzoukis. Talking about allrounders....

• Like it 2

6 hours ago, Yiankos said:

So, Ethniki should have dropped all Olympiakos players when their team embarrassed us in Europe? What a typical Olympiakos fan you are my friend! By the way, Olympiakos eliminated Milan, a huge name in European football, which at the moment has OFI's former coach as their coach and this year they won't even make it to Europe. Not only they have no relation with Milan 10 years ago, but they will struggle to finish in the top-8 of Serie A.

Lazaros, Bouchalakis, Fetfatzidis are not good enough and shouldn't be considered for anything more than filling the squad. Those are joke players, not reliable, and certainly not leaders. They will have one good game and then ten mediocre ones. I know you are an Olympiakos fan, but that's why you are -10 from PAOK this year. Because you got literally nothing from these players.

Wotjesoy? When did Oly embarrass us in Europe? And since when have I become an Olympiacos fan? Olympiacos got results this year in Europe (Milan win, Betis draw, Dudelange wins, qualification games) while all other teams embarrassed us. Bouchalakis is not good enough yet, but he could get some experience versus European teams. I am not a fan of Lazaros, but at the moment he is one of our best potential wingers. This is not his merit, this shows the quality of our attacking players. Fetfatzidis is a problematic case. His production for Olympiacos hasnt been that great so far. But I think he should have a place in the squad.

AEK and PAOK players are in most of the cases wholly useless for the NT. Lampropoulos Bakakis Mantalos Bakasetas Barkas and the rest. Theyre like Ninis, Tzavellas or Sifakis, who were among the better performers sometimes (against a strong opposition, never) but usually were just there and liabilities. Lets hope Limnios will sign for a better club abroad and will develop.

5 hours ago, LaputanMachine said:

This is complete nonsense. Most players in the Ethniki are not AEK or PAOK players and we still get very bad results.

Its not only the AEK/PAOK players. Footballers who ply their trade in holiday leagues like Saudi league (Tziolis) or play for unglamorous Turkish teams like Tzavellas were not much help too (I mean the Skibbe era now). Kourbelis Mantalos Bakasetas Oikonomou (!) Koulouris Barkas and other disasters.

As for the Anastasiadis period, the first team versus Finland was quite good. The reserves were much worse against Estonia, especially Bakakis (an AEK player).

Those who play for Panionios or Atromitos are not better than AEK players. I just mean ALL of these guys who play for lesser clubs in the "Super" League. Without some international experience, they cant offer much for the NT I guess.

2 hours ago, La Mendel said:

Its not only the AEK/PAOK players. Footballers who ply their trade in holiday leagues like Saudi league (Tziolis) or play for unglamorous Turkish teams like Tzavellas were not much help too (I mean the Skibbe era now). Kourbelis Mantalos Bakasetas Oikonomou (!) Koulouris Barkas and other disasters.

As for the Anastasiadis period, the first team versus Finland was quite good. The reserves were much worse against Estonia, especially Bakakis (an AEK player).

Those who play for Panionios or Atromitos are not better than AEK players. I just mean ALL of these guys who play for lesser clubs in the "Super" League. Without some international experience, they cant offer much for the NT I guess.

Merry Christmas :)

Here is the big problem: We lack players who are successful at international level.

There's Sokratis and Manolas. And that's about it.

Our CM is the biggest problem, and there is no big difference between players like Bouchalakis, Tziolis, Zeca, Kourbelis, etc. We simply lack someone good there.

There is only a handful of good players in the Super League, like Fortounis, Pelkas, Fetfatzidis, and perhaps Koulouris and Koutris. Not including our U21 player. They need to develop first.

3 hours ago, Dean97 said:

I have to agree that we do get more out of the Olympiakos players. What has Mantalos, Pelkas and Bakasetas done for us?

I don't think Bakasetas is any good, but Mantalos and especially Pelkas are good enough for us. They just aren't wingers! You can't expect them to shine on this position.

Pelkas should be used as an 8 right behind Fortounis. Defensively he is much better than those useless players like Tziolis anyway.

Merry Christmas everyone...

Erikson plays on the wing when he is a CAM. Many others can play on the wing around the world. I don’t know why some of our players can’t be useful there. Pelkas has played on the wing at times for PAOK and looked ok. Mantalos same. It’s just when it comes to the national team it’s like they don’t know what to do. 

Bakasetas same thing. We should just play our best players in positions we know they can thrive in. To me your not good enough if you can’t play another position. Maybe that’s a bit harsh but in reality I think our players are not good enough in general than the rest of the world in my opinion. I thought Pelkas could play both wing and CAM it’s clear that he can only play CAM. Fetfatzidis can play both as I said before.

• Like it 1

8 hours ago, LaputanMachine said:

Merry Christmas ?

Here is the big problem: We lack players who are successful at international level.

There's Sokratis and Manolas. And that's about it.

Our CM is the biggest problem, and there is no big difference between players like Bouchalakis, Tziolis, Zeca, Kourbelis, etc. We simply lack someone good there.

There is only a handful of good players in the Super League, like Fortounis, Pelkas, Fetfatzidis, and perhaps Koulouris and Koutris. Not including our U21 player. They need to develop first.

I quite agree. Lack of successful players and crappy midfielders especially the defensive ones.

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and pinned this topic