Phantis Forums

Suggested Call Ups, Starting 11

I can’t see Scibbe changing NT unless forced by injury.

Karnezis

Toro Manolas Soc Tzavellas

Zeca Tziolis

Mantalos Fortounis Donis

Mitroglou

If Donis inj. Stafylidis takes his spot. He may start with Stafylidis and drop Mantalos or Donis.

If Toro inj. Maniatis or Retsos come in.

If Manolas or Soc inj. K Pap comes in.

Lazaros and/or Gianotis will sub for Mantalos, Fortounis or Donis.

Samaris sub for Stafylidis, or an AM.

Anything different to this would be a surprise.

5 hours ago, Megas said:

can some please tell me if we have any upcoming creative midfielders?

savvas mourgos is playing for norwich u23, as well as spanoudakis for stuttgart's one. there are also douvikas of asteras tripolis who will be sold to a spanish la liga side if im not mistaken on january, of course androutsos who has been drawing interest from many big clubs and charisis who's playing for a side in belgium and is being targeted from bundesliga clubs. them along with fortounis and mantalos will be on the nt going on to post 2020 decade

22 hours ago, Dean97 said:

Spanoudakis is a talent. I don't know why he is not even in the u21s. Mourgos I don't know much of. Diamantakos has provided nothing, aswell as Vellios. Bakasetas hasnt done much but is more reliable than the previous 2. Gianniotas is a good weapon off the bench. Tziolis plays in Saudi and should not be called up. So there are players that can eventually replace these players, such as:

Tziolis for Kourbelis

Bakasetas for Pelkas

Diamantakos for Karelis

Vellios for Bouchalakis

Maniatis for Siopis 

Tzavellas for Lykogiannis

With these adjustments the team looks better. 

spanoudakis was injured for some time, he came back and played for stuttgart's youth team in a friendly game last week. also he's not u21 material because he's 1998 born which means he will be called up for the u19 team which has already happened.

as far as your options are concerned, i agree about kourmpelis, siopis, lykogiannis and karelis and i'd also put galanopoulos. bouchalakisis not nt material though and we have more promising players than pelkas around. but i wouldn't mind trying him out in a friendly game.

6 hours ago, Megas said:

can some please tell me if we have any upcoming creative midfielders?

Chatzigiovanis is creative. I don't know if he is playing regularly but there is something there with the player. Limnios is very talented in my opinion. Lamprou is doing decent at Panionios. Aswell as the players Boxou mentioned, we have some creative players but I'm not entirely sure who is the one that will surpass Fortounis or Mantalos. We are lucky at the moment we have them 2 currently. 

Stafy is always a starter in a Skibbe team. Its a lock. Bouchalakis must come into this squad, at any midfielder's expence, besides Fortounis and Mantalos.

Skibbe is so rigid that talent is missing out because of this to a degree, even though the team is doing a lot better than a year or two ago. Let's face it, the only way was up for the Pirates after that Disasterous Euro campaign.

Edited by ausgreek
  • Like it 1

I just feel we can be way more creative and play a lot better if we play guys in there natural position. Skibbe sticks with who he likes and plays them regardless what there natural position is and this definitely does more harm then good.

You give a young talented player a go eg. Donis, and almost always you get rewarded by that player in return. Skibbe could well of given three or so players a go by now - easily. Siopis, Lykogiannis, Bakakis, Gianniotas Charisis and even Taxi could of had more minutes.

I can't remember a poor effort by Taxi in the national team colours. I remember a m.o.m effort against Hungary though.

• Like it 1

gianniotas and bouchalakis no. they're benchwarmers in b division sides. same for diamantakos and vellios. that's why there shouldn't even be any talk for them about getting called up in the nt. 

offensive line should be this

mantalos-fortounis-donis-lazaros

mitroglou-karelis-mpakasetas

maybe pelkas too. that's it. gianniotas doesn't even shine in segunda division, once he manages to be relevant for a respectable side the ok. at the moment im hoping for limnios and lamprou to step up. heck even manthatis and androutsos would be better picks. 

5 hours ago, ausgreek said:

You give a young talented player a go eg. Donis, and almost always you get rewarded by that player in return. Skibbe could well of given three or so players a go by now - easily. Siopis, Lykogiannis, Bakakis, Gianniotas Charisis and even Taxi could of had more minutes.

I can't remember a poor effort by Taxi in the national team colours. I remember a m.o.m effort against Hungary though.

yeah good point, tachtsi always seems solid for NT. Assist vs. belgium. Demolishing hungary...

• Like it 1

7 hours ago, Boxou said:

gianniotas and bouchalakis no. they're benchwarmers in b division sides. same for diamantakos and vellios. that's why there shouldn't even be any talk for them about getting called up in the nt. 

offensive line should be this

mantalos-fortounis-donis-lazaros

mitroglou-karelis-mpakasetas

maybe pelkas too. that's it. gianniotas doesn't even shine in segunda division, once he manages to be relevant for a respectable side the ok. at the moment im hoping for limnios and lamprou to step up. heck even manthatis and androutsos would be better picks. 

How is Gianniotas and Bouchalakis not national team standard? Tziolis plays in Saudi Arabia and still gets picked. Where is Fetfatzidis? Every time Gianniotas plays for the Ethniki he proves why he should play. He has scored 2 goals in 4 appearances. That is a better ratio than Fortounis and Mantalos. They might be on the bench in the second division but they are better than Vellios, Diamantakos and Tziolis.

• Like it 1

They are not starting material. Gianniotas only gets called up due to our lack of attacking players, and specifically our lack of wingers. He is average, he tries hard but doesn't quite have what it takes. If Donis continues the way he is going he'll be a starter for the next 10+plus years. 
The other wide position is still up for grabs, Skibbe, just like other ethniki coaches before him favours someone who he knows what he's gonna get out of him (mantalos) Mantalos does not look his usual self out wide, but he tracks back and he's capable of linking up with Fortouni and playing a pass. Mantalos is a class above Gianniota. 

Not saying I'd start Mantalos out wide, but just explaining as to why i think he gets the start. In saying that, not sure who I'd put there, I guess there's a case to be made for Lazaros. 

Samaris did some good things when fresh faced at around 20 year old. Skibbe-Skippy should bring in Antroutsos and see what he can do at the Pirates level in a match, not just simulation of a match at training. Also, Manthatis would be an excellent call up along with any of  Limnios, Charisis, Pelkas  and Bakakis-back up for Toro. Retsos looks like a real find as is that gem Donis- could be a leader in a few years time.

Two excellent young keepers already in Kapino and Anestis. Tweaking the squad going forward and not sticking with the likes of Tziol, arab, Samaris-till he gets some miles into his legs and lungs (Benficaaaa) and in 12 months Toro.

Edited by ausgreek

13 hours ago, Dean97 said:

How is Gianniotas and Bouchalakis not national team standard? Tziolis plays in Saudi Arabia and still gets picked. Where is Fetfatzidis? Every time Gianniotas plays for the Ethniki he proves why he should play. He has scored 2 goals in 4 appearances. That is a better ratio than Fortounis and Mantalos. They might be on the bench in the second division but they are better than Vellios, Diamantakos and Tziolis.

of course he's not nt material..paokarag4 explained it perfectly. for a team like greece which wants to be tournament regulars second league players have no place around the team. if his team gets the promotion for the primera division then he's a welcome addition. at the moment he's no difference maker in spain's second division. anyways regardless of his club he's not useful in this level. how can a player who doesn't shine in his specific club has a place into a team which are on the pace for the world cup ticket?

also if bouchalakis was any good then there would be more clubs interested in him instead of marinakis' nottingham....

Fetfatzidis plays in Saudi. He is arguably the best talent to come out of Greece. Tziolis plays in the same league and gets chosen. Wheres the logic? You are saying that 2nd division players don't belong in the team and Skibbe still chooses them. 

Also Ive heard Skibbe in an interview saying he wants the best possible players in the national team. We all know there are better players than Maniatis, Tziolis and Tzavellas. If we can't choose players like Gianniotas and Bouchalakis then who are we going to choose? If Skibbe wants the best players then Holebas and Fetfatzidis should be first on the list. 

More than half of our team are not national team material with your statement. What are we doing? More importantly where are we heading?

first of all why do you think i want tziolis getting called up? i have bashed him and skibbe for that reason many times. 

and please STOP with fetfatzidis obsession. he's like 25 YEARS OLD and there's no SANE CLUB which would like to sign him. HENCE HE'S PLAYING IN SAUDI ARABIA. at least tziolis played football in paok and a good panathinaikos team and reached 32 before going there. 

regarding the 'best talent to come out of greece' argument about fetfatzidis i'll just try to insist and not laugh.

ps kone would be a great addition to this team but the dude missed the whole offseason and has no games with aek even in the cup.pity. 

• Like it 2

Boxou, 

It is only an obsession because Fetfa's exclusion from the club is illogical and borderline criminal. His offensive skill cannot be denied , all one has to do is look at his highlights with olympiakos ( greek league, cup and uefa competitions ie cl campaign with valverde to round of 16) , Genoa and his current team in Saudi Arabia where he is considered to be one the best in the whole league. Not to mention in 2014 world cup prep phase, where he was deemed the most dangerous player in all 3 matches by a long shot!!!!  And you emphasize 25 years old as if he is too old to compete which is absolutely ridiculous.  Reason as to why he joined a saudi arabian team is strictly financial .... he is one of the best paid players (with added perks) in the league and im willing to bet there are no tax implications in that corner of the world...... Greece definitely needs the services of such a player with a skill set that can break a game open with his ball control and vision. I wont even touch on ur comments about tziolis on a good panathinaikos and paok squad..... its simply laughable!!! 

Edited by Kama7
  • Like it 1
  • Thanks 1

Kama7 I think what he means when he brings up his age, is that he is 25 (and in his prime) and playing for a Saudi club, and Tziolis past his prime and is playing for a Saudi club to end his career.

But yeah i agree that Fetfa's potential and talent have been wasted probably because clubs have thought that a player his size would not be able to compete at a high level (even though he proved otherwise every time he has played)

Maybe another reason is that he is not good on the defensive side of the ball, and historically good Greek teams have always featured a lineup where all 11 men can play defensively 

41 minutes ago, Kama7 said:

Boxou, 

It is only an obsession because Fetfa's exclusion from the club is illogical and borderline criminal. His offensive skill cannot be denied , all one has to do is look at his highlights with olympiakos ( greek league, cup and uefa competitions ie cl campaign with valverde to round of 16) , Genoa and his current team in Saudi Arabia where he is considered to be one the best in the whole league. Not to mention in 2014 world cup prep phase, where he was deemed the most dangerous player in all 3 matches by a long shot!!!!  And you emphasize 25 years old as if he is too old to compete which is absolutely ridiculous.  Reason as to why he joined a saudi arabian team is strictly financial .... he is one of the best paid players (with added perks) in the league and im willing to bet there are no tax implications in that corner of the world...... Greece definitely needs the services of such a player with a skill set that can break a game open with his ball control and vision. I wont even touch on ur comments about tziolis on a good panathinaikos and paok squad..... its simply laughable!!! 

thanks that you registered only to reply for me. 

tziolis was playing for pao and paok teams that were doing well in cl and el. he sort of retired now by choosing to play in saudi arabia, he's heading to 33, it's ok. 

forum's darling fetfatzidis looks like is stuck in such a league in the age of 25 which is sad. stop claiming he deserves a call up. he doesn't. 

im sure none of you have ever watched him playing since he moved from olympiakos. he's OVERWEIGHT and his so called speed in this level will be the same of tziolis. 

Regardless what everyone thinks Fetfa at the very least deserves a call up.. If you consider the guys we have called up he is way more deserving of a shot. He doesn't have to be a starter but a good option to come of the bench if we are chasing a goal or need a different look.  At least give the guy a look.

• Like it 1

54 minutes ago, Boxou said:

im sure none of you have ever watched him playing since he moved from olympiakos. he's OVERWEIGHT and his so called speed in this level will be the same of tziolis. 

Overweight

slow

like a cheetah?

Edited by paokara777
  • Like it 2

I like how the creator of that video thinks adding some still shots of a cheetah makes little Fetfatzidis look faster.

He has no place on this team. Neither does Tziolis (who was removed from PAOK precisely because he was not good enough).

12 minutes ago, pash said:

I like how the creator of that video thinks adding some still shots of a cheetah makes little Fetfatzidis look faster.

He has no place on this team. Neither does Tziolis (who was removed from PAOK precisely because he was not good enough).

To be fair, the cheetah was in slow motion, so maybe they are trying to make the cheetah look faster?

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and pinned this topic