Phantis Forums

Suggested Call Ups, Starting 11

Holebas's recent interview that I noticed on Agona sport, he claims that he has stopped making himself available purely because of the coach Skibbe. In his view, the coach doe not often select on form, rather on the boys club favourites.

He may have a point, though, there have been many players tried during Skibbe's time. Holebas also said he takes his form very seriously and he didn't become unavailable due to his age.

These issues often come up in sport I have found. He would still be a talented player for the Ethniki, although, Staf has grown into a top player.

On 6/28/2017 at 10:36 AM, Dean97 said:

Gianniotas works hard aswell in my opinion. Donis doesn't. Donis just knows where to run and attacking. He doesn't run back much. They should be our wingers. If we need to have Mantalos/Bakasetas in the starting 11 have one of them on the right wing and one of Gianniotas/Donis on the left. Manthatis has potential to be a great winger. I've seen some Olympiakos games and he is a workhorse. He doesn't give up in defence and plays with heart. 

Gianniotas just got cut by Olympiacos' new manager. 

I would like to talk about Greek players. I've just realised why we don't produce player like other countries for example Brazil, Spain, Portugal and so on. Our youth are the problem. They prefer the Greek lifestyle of having a good time rather than working hard and earning your way in the football world. Gifted players like Fetfatzidis and Ninis have not lived up to expectations as we thought.

There was a player called Koutsianikoulis. He was in the same mould as Ninis and Fetfatzidis. A winger/attacking midfielder who could take players on with skill and produce good passes. Another name is Andreas Tatos. Who has excellent technique and vision. Also has not lived up to expectations. The problem is some players standards are not that high as its a shame because if these players did have high standards they would be playing for teams like Manchester United or Barcelona or even Tottenham.

But there are some players like Manolas and Sokratis who want the best out of there careers as much as possible. Passionate players like K.Papadopoulos will stop at nothing until they get where they want to be. Fortounis looks like he is capable of bigger things aswell as Mantalos. Tachtsidis is not giving up. I can't say that for players like Kone or Fetfatzidis. Tachtsidis made a good choice in going to Olympiakos. He's guaranteed more minutes and exposure in Champions League. He also played a lot in Serie A for Cagliari last season.

Siopis looks like he has a good work ethic. I'd like to see how he goes this season for Olympiakos. I just hope players like Retsos, Manthatis, Androutsos, Galanopoulos and Limnios step up their game and start becoming young stars. Gianniotas should not give up. This is the 3rd time he has been cut by Olympiakos. He is a good winger. Kolovos and Karelis look as they are ambitious in Belgium and like to take chances. I hope they continue there form they left from last season.

Pelkas and Bouchalakis I'd like to talk about another day as I believe in these players. Donis looks very promising. I'd like to think that the future of Greek football will look bright but I don't see it, unless some of these youngsters rise up and make a statement. I hope Samaris, Mitroglou and Torosidis have good seasons with Stafylidis improving even more. Karnezis and Kapino look as if they will be the keepers of the Ethniki for at least another 5 years. Barkas looks promising. 

I believe we are safe for now, but I'm a bit worried about what the depth of talent will be be in 5 years or even 3 years. Torosidis is 32 Karnezis is 33 Sokratis and Mitroglou will be 30 next year which is fine. We have no other striker other than Mitroglou. Vellios, Diamantakos don't look good enough take over. It's a bit concerning as we don't have good enough replacements for the players mentioned. Is anyone else concerned?

Donis is a CF and also a winger, Kapino or Barkas are there and there are more keepers that can take over eventually. All these young guys you mentioned have not been given a shot so they haven't failed. I see it as they are good depth for now and things are on the up and up fille.

Your entitled to be Deano, although, with my optimism, I'm also alittle cautious. Players like Manthatis, Androutsos, Limnios, Retsos Galanopoulos, Fountas and Kapino, there is half a team that are really exciting prospects.

There are older guys who are still young like Kourbelis, Pelkas, Kolovos, and Gianniotas and the list goes on. I believe we have depth only to be tapped. Skibbo's coaching team need to identify 1 striker now, and give him a couple of goes. Then another one in 6 months and give him a shot to develop during friendlies, or near the end of certain matches, even if they are qualifiers.

karelis and Donis are our next striking options after Mitro....

They have big seasons coming up...

Vellios and Diamantakos are not up to it..Limnios has hardly played...

When I look at the future , I don''t like to look too far ahead....

try picking our best team with players 26 and under...that gives you an indication as to depth....

...................................Kapino....................

Retsos..................Manolas..........K.Pap...........Stafyllidis

.................................Siopis...............Taxi............................

Giannotas............      Fortounis..........................Mandalos.....

.......................................Donis....................................

Karelis, Kourbelis, Oikonomou, Pelkas, Lykogiannis, Bakasetas..

The point it's not about finding the uncapped 18 yo next star..but having a young enough squad to take on the next Euro qualifiers or next WC qualifiers minus players who are approaching 30...

That is a good idea red sheriff. That is probably our best young squad. The thing is the players in the 17-20 age bracket still have time to improve and grow as footballers. I am more concerned with the players who are in the 21-26 age bracket who are not progressing as they should or not involved in the Ethniki. Players like Pelkas, Bouchalakis, Gianniotas, Karelis, Kourbelis, Lykogiannis, Diamantakos and so on should be the players that will carry this team from and now and the next few years.

The first problem is:

- They have not been given enough chances (Kourbelis, Pelkas)

- They have not had enough matches (Bouchalakis)

-They are not good enough with their clubs for whatever reason (Mavrias, Kone, Diamantakos)

- There is no real desire ( Ninis, Fetftatzidis)

- Continuously playing players like Tziolis and Maniatis instead of Siopis and Tachtsidis. Yes Tziolis and Maniatis are need at time for example (Tziolis=Height, Maniatis=High Workrate) But in my opinion Siopis and Tachtsidis are like for like replacements. 

Bakasetas is a player who has been given enough chances. Diamantakos got a chance and didnt grab it. Karelis got chances and has done well, he is now coming back from injury. Vellios who is now 26 has gotten chances and not taken them. 

There are also players in thee 21-26 age group that have not even been called and have the chance to, like Koutris and Bouchalakis. Ive also noticed that all our wingers are in this age group excluding Lazaros.

But there are players who are doing well for themesleves and thats Stafylidis, Manolas, Papadopoulos, Tachtsidis, Fortounis and Mantalos.

Players like Retsos, Manthatis and that have time but can also be in the team if players in the 21-26 age group are not up to it. Now players who are 27 and older are the players who have expirience and are the players who hold the team together. Karnezis, Torosidis, Sokratis, Tzavellas, Samaris, Zeca and Mitroglou. They are the players who are no doubt starters in this team. Tziolis is 32 and Maniatis 31. 

All im saying is the talent is there but how hard are the players in the 21-26 age group willing to work and take there chances and lead the next generation (17-20). 

Each player needs to be looked at individually..

Lykogiannis has had one good season..next season will be a big one for him...

Also he is up against Tzavellas and Staf at left back..

Kourbelis,Vellios, Diamantakos and Pelkas are simply not good enough.

Karelis got injured just when he was about to take the next step...

Giannotas needs to play in a better league regularly to develop or at least for us to see his true capabilities..

Bouchalakis just has not played....

Koutris again is a left back..maybe 5th in line...also needs to play regularly for a big club..

Bakasetas had a poor season at AEK..

Mavrias is in same category as Giannotas..(does he even have a club?)

Now with a more settled lineup players like Diamantakos and Vellios should get chances. I don't remember any of them playing more than 2 games. They need 7 games and then to get just an idea. At this level, players need More than 15 games to feel like they belong. So far, no guy under 30 has shown that they can't  play in the last 5 years. Fitting in in a hurry is a different story. Changing coaches through politics three times was ridiculous.

Until Mantalos plays in the middle and Bakasetas or Karelis plays as an SS, I cannot get a gauge on either of them. It only says they are top players out of position for the sake of the Ethniki.

Edited by ausgreek

Mavrias plays for German 2nd division side Karlsruher. He played 20 or so matches with no goals. When he was 18-19 he went to Sunderland. He was regarded as the next big thing. Unfortunately his form has dropped off ever since he signed for Sunderland. He is still young. He is 23 this season he needs to improve and get back into form the way he was before signing in the EPL in order to warrant a call-up. So far I don't see it happening.

Edited by Dean97

With regard to left field selections, a goalkeeper named Gianniotis came in to sit on the bench. What was wrong with Barkas sitting on the bench  instead, through an injury to Glykos? He didn't do much wrong sitting on the bench afew campaigns ago. What is Skibbo's criteria when choosing players, was it through injury?

Fountas or Pelkas played 5 mins and not seen again. Mantalos out of position has been ordinary and is one of the first players picked.

I hope Skibbe shows more faith in someone that is natural on the wing soon. I don't believe you pick your best 11. You pick the best players in their best positions - which means it will turn out to be the best decision.

Not many players are versatile enough to be at world class standard in un-natural positions in a team. Mantalos and Bakasetas are struggling with this right now.

On 08/07/2017 at 11:14 AM, ausgreek said:

Now with a more settled lineup players like Diamantakos and Vellios should get chances. I don't remember any of them playing more than 2 games. They need 7 games and then to get just an idea. At this level, players need More than 15 games to feel like they belong. So far, no guy under 30 has shown that they can't  play in the last 5 years. Fitting in in a hurry is a different story. Changing coaches through politics three times was ridiculous.

Until Mantalos plays in the middle and Bakasetas or Karelis plays as an SS, I cannot get a gauge on either of them. It only says they are top players out of position for the sake of the Ethniki.

I would say Vellios and Diamantakos need to prove themselves at club level before they deserve a call up let alone 7 games..

To me they are so far away from what I see as International players it's not funny..

In my opinion as strikers we have

Mitro

Donis

Karelis *(when fit)

That is it!!!

I would put Vellios and Diamantakos behind Klaus...today..

I'd have to say Klaus, Diamantakos and Vellios are equally bad. But if I had to chose one of them in my team it would be Vellios. I would put Donis on the wing. Since we don't have anyone better. I'd like to ask who would be a better option Gianniotas or Mantalos on the wing? We know how Mantalos plays on the wing, we have seen Gianniotas play on the wing only 3 times and he's been threatening there. But Mantalos overall quality is better than Gianniotas. 

Edited by Dean97

I don't know but I think Vellios has more to offer for the national team than Klaus. Vellios can score the spectacular as seen last season. Which was also the season Klaus didn't score a goal. Diamantakos forget about it. I thought he was going to be something special. He has been very poor lately.

The names Vellios, Klaus and Diamand have been given a sniff. That is why we rate only them. Two new names should be given a shot that have not been yet. Then we can start add them to our ratings. Talent spotting should be happening all around the Super League and Europe, not only on the beaches of Mykonos either.

If a young player is 12-18 months away, Skibbe should get him in to come off the bench now.

In order for us to try out more players we need to have more friendlies. I don't know why we don't schedule more freindies to help move up the FIFA rankings and to try young talent and different combinations. 

On 2017-06-15 at 5:12 PM, OFI-mtl said:

Manolas...Kyriacos...Sokratis

In a 3-4-3 is a nobrainer when healty they are 3 of our top 10 players..SO as a manager how can you have 1 on the bench!

Torosidis.....Samaris......Tachtsidis/fortounis......Stafylidis/tzav

Donis/staf...................Mitroglou/karelis..........Fortounis/gianniota

It gives us so many more options going forward. and in the futur Giannotas

agree with this with with / additions.

I just saw the replay of the Greece CD Bosnia game. There was something clear that is saw with the we play and why sometimes we get frustrated. It is because we don't have some one with flair in the midfield. We need another play to link up with Fortounis because Fortounis is a smart player and in my opinion he is better player when he is playing deeper. Mantalos had a really off game. His touches were bad. Bakasetas had better touches. We also always kick it out into space instead of finding someone play off and move. We are no Spain or Barcelona but we should improve on these things. Our defending and chasing down the opponent is excellent. We need to have better wingers. We gave them a physical match. We need to control the ball longer and look for more smarter passes. Stafylidis is becoming a key player for us. Karnezis played really well and so did Zeca. Tziolis looked better than other times and Mitroglou looks fitter. Donis linked up well with Mitroglou when he came on and looks dangerous. The worst players were Mantalos and Bakasetas. Mantalos had so many bad touches and Bakasetas was not involved in the attack. Plus when you have a target man like Mitroglou who is slow the attack becomes useless. This would be my team:

Karnezis

Torosidis Sokratis Manolas Stafylidis

Tachtsidis/Samaris Zeca/Maniatis

Fortounis

Mantalos/Gianniotas Mitroglou Donis

Also would like to try Fortounis on the wing. Maybe Mantalos has better game behind the striker. Siopis and Kourbelis need to have a solid season to become starters in this midfield. They are both talented and the future of this team. Samaris needs to step it up. 

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and pinned this topic