Phantis Forums

Suggested Call Ups, Starting 11

I'd love to see Kone, Fetfatzidis and Tachtsidis on the same field. Aswell as Ninis. They are quality and I think it's time to play them. Every position in my opinion needs competition. Maybe I'm wrong that it is not club and that playing and starting for the national team is a gift from playing well from your club. Mantalos and Fortounis work well together also with Mitroglou but in my opinion there is something missing and it feels like they need help. Fortounis can't take on players instead he finds gaps in the oppositions defence and dribbles through those gaps. Mantalos can't take on a player either. He might do it once or twice and that's it. Fetfatzidis is a player that can beat players 1 on 1 because he is so skillfull. 

Edited by Dean97
  • Like it 1

11 hours ago, 1789 said:

Fetfatzidis for me needs to play in a European league or a level of similar standing. Saudi Arabia doesn't cut it. That said, we need a player like him. He'd be a great option, especially off the bench as an impact player.

We`ve been discussing this in depth in the Fetfatzidis thread under Greek Players Abroad, and yes, he needs to be on the NT, at least as a bench option. 

Yes Fetfa should play in Europe, but let's be realistic we have 3 guys on our team that don't even play for a club team and because Fetfa isn't playing in Europe all off a sudden he doesn't get called up? At least he's playing regularly.. where is the logic in that thinking? Fetfa,Ninis,Kone and yes even holebas should be on this team period. 

Edited by J1078
  • Like it 4

6 hours ago, J1078 said:

Yes Fetfa should play in Europe, but let's be realistic we have 3 guys on our team that don't even play for a club team and because Fetfa isn't playing in Europe all off a sudden he doesn't get called up? At least he's playing regularly.. where is the logic in that thinking? Fetfa,Ninis,Kone and yes even holebas should be on this team period. 

I agree.

Cholevas/Holebas is quick down the left side and cuts in, or can cross effectively, good player. Does he score the goals Tzavellas scored recently in a couple of internationals? Tzav's boot has a knack of finding a goal when all is lost. It's all about the goals.

• Like it 1

1 hour ago, RED SHERIFF said:

ALL 3 have not played enough this season to justify a call up.

I hope you're talking about Tzoilis, Maniatis, Tzav ? because if you're referring to Ninis, fetfa and Kone The other 2 especially have played a lot less.

Edited by J1078

This is my take on the team and what I think we should do going forward:

First of all the team has no depth. Especially striker. Mitroglou is our only hope and can be very lethal on a good day. 

Defence is the best part of the team. But the problem is we do not have a back up for Torosidis. Risvanis looks like he is getting better and Kolovetsios needs a chance.

Our Goalkeepers are not that good in my opinion. They are very average. Karnezis, Kapino and Glykos are our only choices in the next couple of years. 

Also we do not have wingers. We haven't got that superstar winger like a Ronaldo, Bale or Neymar. We have Gianniotas and Fetfatzidis. Gianniotas is hit or miss and Fetfatzidis is short and his work rate is not the best. But they are the best we have at the moment. Also Mantalos is not a winger. Bakasetas and Diamantakos are better up front then on the wing and Karelis is better than both of them. Karelis must play striker and nothing else. Lazaros should not be considered anymore. I hope Manthatis and Lamprou shine as they have good potential. 

Holebas was huge loss but we have to move on.

The Central Midfield is my biggest concern as well as Right back. Samaris is decent. He is a holding midfielder who is tall and had a very good passing technique and is strong. The problem with him is his positioning. He must get this right or else our defenders are going to have a hard time continuously. Maniatis and Tziolis should have no part in the team anymore. Petsos is not working hard enough to earn a starting spot. Then you have Tachtsidis whose only strength is passing and vision and can occasionally score a goal. He is slow and not that good defensively. That's why Maniatis gets picked. Charisis and Bouchalakis need to to work harder in order to progress and become better players.

Centre Attacking Midfield is loaded with good talent like Ninis, Kone, Fortounis, Mantalos, Fetfatzidis and Pelkas. I also believe we good potential players like Androutsos, Mourgos, Galanopoulos and Donis (he can play striker and winger also). 

At Left Back Stafylidis looks decent and Tzavellas needs to be a bench option. Lykogiannis is showing something and Tsimikas is a player that in the future will be a star. Retsos is one to look out for as he can play all the defensive positions. 

Our major problem at the moment is the midfield, striker, winger and full back positions, if we can get more depth there we will be fine. For example call up players like Siopis, Savvidis, Angelopoulos, Vergos, Koulouris, Lamprou, Manthatis, Lykogiannis, Bakakis, Kitsiou and Retsos.

Yes some of these of players don't deserve call ups but we need to create more and more depth so we have back ups and a stronger Ethniki in the future.

• Like it 2

I just saw the full match replay of the game against Bosnia. They had more possession than us in the first half in which we played very poorly. Samaris and Mantalos were by far our worst players. They couldn't play simple passes and they were giving away possession. K.Papadopoulos was our best player along with Sokratis.

Torosidis was very average and Maniatis was Maniatis, running everywhere. Stafylidis did good and so did Tzavellas. Mitroglou was lost and very slow in anything he did. I also Fortounis tell him off because he was getting in his way and losing possession easy. Fortounis tried to make something happen but had dead beats around him like Mantalos, Samaris, Maniatis and Mitroglou and therefore could not do much. Karnezis did alright but I'd like him to rush out earlier sometimes and read the game. But he did fine. 

Overall the teams tactics are wrong. You can't play that deep that when you have possession there is only one player to pass to then lose possession because there weren't enough options. I also saw a lot if miss kicks and kicking the ball anywhere. It looks unprofessional for a team like ours. It also concerns me that when we make the World Cup (I should say if) that we will get embarrassed badly if we play the way we did against Bosnia. Also Belgium are going to put away the missed chances that Bosnia just missed. I hope Skibbe has a plan against Belgium because it won't look good.

Edited by Dean97

even our best position CB belgium evenly matches us with a better goalie (courtois, kompany, alderweild). we're truly underdogs and belgium is a world class team. seems this campaign they really worked out the kinks.

we tend to turn it up against the big dogs though, let's hope we do.

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and pinned this topic