Phantis Forums

Suggested Call Ups, Starting 11

On 10/24/2016 at 4:23 PM, georgelaz said:

hey man totti is still tearing it up at 40. giati oxi? :P

Champion player through and through.  I admire how he's old school and has played for the same team his whole club career.  At his peak I'm sure he was courted by many "top" teams but he just stuck with his boyhood club.  The only other player I can think of in recent times that has done the same is Gerrard at Liverpool.

Lots of good ideas. I would personally go with this for Bosnia and Belgium.

Karnezis

Toro            Manolas            Sokratis      Stafylidis

Samaris             Maniatis

Mantalos         Fortounis

Karelis

Mitrolgou                        

Similar to Rockafeller's 11 and same concept with no wingers. 

Belgium has some very mobile players like Naingollan, Mertens and of course DeBruyne. Hazard likes cutting in too so we need to crowd the middle. Maniatis might be a better answer than Tachtsidis for the Belgium match because of his mobility. I put Karelis in because Belgium's weakness with Wales was being unable to handle strikers in the box. Might as well have 2 up front and see if they can deal with it.

• Like it 2

Karelis is in top form. I hope he brings this form to the National Team. I wish he could be a better passer of the ball creative with the ball like Ninis or Fortounis. He has got the touch, he has got the finish and good strength. He has got similar traits to Rooney but not as technically good or passer.

11 hours ago, Triffili04 said:

Lots of good ideas. I would personally go with this for Bosnia and Belgium.

Karnezis

Toro            Manolas            Sokratis      Stafylidis

Samaris             Maniatis

Mantalos         Fortounis

Karelis

Mitrolgou                        

Similar to Rockafeller's 11 and same concept with no wingers. 

Belgium has some very mobile players like Naingollan, Mertens and of course DeBruyne. Hazard likes cutting in too so we need to crowd the middle. Maniatis might be a better answer than Tachtsidis for the Belgium match because of his mobility. I put Karelis in because Belgium's weakness with Wales was being unable to handle strikers in the box. Might as well have 2 up front and see if they can deal with it.

this but might as well put kpaps in there for 3 cb's instead of maniatis and pretty much perfect lineup. high probability skibbe would play this too.

Karelis works well with Mitroglou, if Skibbe wants us to come out fighting (which is not a sure thing), then he's an obvious choice to link up with him.

Back in the day, you could have said the same thing about the Ninis-Mitroglou partnership, as well.

I saw the extended highlights of the charleroi vs genk match. Both karelis and ninis played very well, especially karelis. Not only did they both score a goal, but they were also creating chances and linking up well with their teammates.

You can argue that, based on form, if you had to choose one striker to start against Bosnia, it would be karelis.  

Since our formation only utilizes one striker, I think that diamantakos should be dropped for ninis.

Tziolis and especially petsos shouldn't be called up either.

Bakasetas should be given a proper chance to show his worth. 

• Like it 1

1 hour ago, maggica said:

I saw the extended highlights of the charleroi vs genk match. Both karelis and ninis played very well, especially karelis. Not only did they both score a goal, but they were also creating chances and linking up well with their teammates.

You can argue that, based on form, if you had to choose one striker to start against Bosnia, it would be karelis.  

Since our formation only utilizes one striker, I think that diamantakos should be dropped for ninis.

Tziolis and especially petsos shouldn't be called up either.

Bakasetas should be given a proper chance to show his worth. 

Thats good to hear that Ninis and Karelis played well. Also i agree about Bakasetas he needs more time.

We can still use him in the team. Thats why i said he needs time. It didnt click for Mitroglou, Mantalos and Stafylidis in their first few games. Look at them now they are important players for us. Thats just an example. Players like Ninis and Fetfatzidis are players i would like to see back in the team. Maybe drop Diamantakos and Petsos so they (Diamantakos and Petsos) can get the idea of "we were picked but were not needed", and make a point  for their clubs teams to strive and get back in the national team. By doing this it makes both Petsos and Diamantakos more eager and lift the bar to play well. We all know they are the very last options in the starting 11. 

Edited by Dean97

7 hours ago, Amorgos said:

Bakasetas played two games vs Cyprus and Estonia and did F*** all, I don't mind keeping him on the squad for the future but I think for critical games coming up you need much more clinical players in the line up like Ninis who is a proven match winner for us, I also think Fetfatzidis would be more effective than Bakasetas.

When was the last time Ninis won a game for Greece ?  2010 B.C. ?

• Like it 1

ninis should start vs. belarus and if he plays extremely well maybe against bosnia

fortounis and mantalos are tried and true at the moment otherwise so it's not the end of the world if ninis gets overlooked, even tho it's not right

7 hours ago, ausgreek said:

Ninis is third to Mantalos and Fortounis at the moment. Why not try to unearth a LW or re-pick Kone, also, a back-up RB like Bakakis or Kitsiou.

Everyone has their (different) take on players.  For myself, Ninis is nowhere near the level of Mantalos or Fortounis.

The cruciate ligament injury he had in hist last season at PAO in 11/12 just took something from the kid.  He's never been the same.  He went to Italy (which is a good thing) in 12/13 and played with Parma largely with stints off the bench.  Even though he didn't get the game time I'd hoped for, he was still at a good club in a much better league with better players, better facilities, better everything.  He would learn what it means to play in a real league.

So when he came to PAOK in 13/14 I thought, "here we go, Ninis is going to tear up the Greek league".  I couldn't have been more wrong.  He was virtually non existent for PAOK.  Same again for PAO the following season.

He's only really started playing decent since moving to Charleroi.  And he's still not in the first 11 most weeks.  Usually gets subbed on or off.  I'm not sure if this is a fitness issue or what is going on.  Regardless, I think it's too early to be talking about having Ninis in the NT.

• Like it 2

ninis had a goal and an assist today.  since we normally use mantalos as a right winger anyways, i think that ninis could be a good option off the bench for cam.

anyways, i dont like our chances of beating bosnia, to be honest, because: 

-torosidis is injured and we dont have a competent replacement. i dont know how long he is injured for. other options are bakakis, kitsiou, galitsios, kpaps (lol)

-maniatis and tziolis dont have clubs, and, therefore, aren't match sharp. Petsos usually doesn't even make the bench for werder bremen (one of the worst teams in germany) you can train all you want, but you need playing time to be match ready. samaris just got back from injury and has barely played. kone is also injured. kpaps isnt getting game time, and i dont really like him that much as a cdm anyway.  the only in-form cdm we have is tach!  

-we dont have any good, pure wingers. perhaps we can call up one of fetfa, platellas, or kaltsas (whoever is in form)

-holebas retired

-dzeko is in the form of his life, pjanic will probably outclass our midfield

If you take into consideration all these factors, it is not looking good for Greece. We still have excellent CBs, karelis is on fire (scored again today), we've won 5 games in a row, and we will have home support. Still, I'd be content with a draw.  We can still get 2nd place in the group with a draw. With less injuries and players in better form, we can get a result in bosnia.

• Like it 3

Is Diamantakos injured still? I say give him a chance at LW. It's only fair because Gianniotas and Bakasetas have been given chances. We've got too many strikers in Mitroglou, Karelis and Vellios. I also know Diamantakos would do well at LW. 

Edited by Dean97
  • Like it 1

http://www.transfermarkt.com/vasilis-torosidis/verletzungen/spieler/24977

According to this Torosidis is viable right now. It was just muscle fatigue so I expect him to be totally fit in 10 days when we playing re playing the friendly.

None of the Fortounis, Mantalos have any injury problems, and Fortounis has had games as a starter under his belt for Olympiakos.

Samaris also returned and even played , Mitroglou Starter.

Tachtsidis Starting.

Karelis also scoring. Kyriakos not injured (how come lol).

CBs fine.

Karnezis rolling.

All our Main players are fine.

Why would anyone be pessimistic.

I wanna see this Line up

- - - - - - - - - -Karnezis- - - - - -- - - -

Torosidis Sokratis Manolas Stafylidis

- - - - -Tachtsidis - - Samaris - - - - -
Giannioas - Fortounis - Mantalos - 

- - - - - --  -Mitroglou - - - - - -- - - - 

But sadly this is not gonna happen for some reasons I understand
Bakasetas helps a lot defensively on our weak side, so he is gonna needed at a match where a draw is TECHNICALLY fine, or we can get away with a goal if we manage to handle the pressure. So he is gonna start as LW.

This means Gianniotas gets kicked from RW and Mantalos goes RW, because he is very productive with the NT, and deserves a starting spot.

Tachtsidis is useless without proper Wingers who can read his mind. Only Fortounis can do that from this 11 and there is no point to put such a slow player in the midfield if there is noone else to continue the transition fast to produce a decent counter attack. We ll see Maniatis, a defensive midfielder who runs all the time. I ve heard Maniatis has been recalled to the squad of oly, but he is not being called to the αποστολές for the matches. 

Id wish a Siopis/Korbos would appear but Panionios lost 2 games in a row from small teams, so Im not sure if Skibbe can consider them options yet. Not good to experiment with younglings at such a crucial match.

Moreover, a team that wins , mustn't change. (Excluding Tzavellas from this Rule- this dude better be changed.)

With Holebas leaving , I dont know if he is any good, but young boy Retsos has been a starter for Olympiakos for quite a while. Not sure if he is good or not, But could be considered a possibility, since every other big Greek team has no Greek LB. Charalambos Mavrias also became a starter  at Karlsruher easily. Maybe another winger option?

18 hours ago, Dean97 said:

Is Diamantakos injured still? I say give him a chance at LW. It's only fair because Gianniotas and Bakasetas have been given chances. We've got too many strikers in Mitroglou, Karelis and Vellios. I also know Diamantakos would do well at LW. 

Diamantakos is a striker or nothing.... not LW..

Vellios is garbage..

the point is we only have one proper striker..Mitro  who goes missing at times...

Vellios is a poor man's Mitro..who is slower, poor finisher and limited.

I do not rate Karelis either..but he is our best second option...because he is more mobile than Vellios and can pinch hit in other positions to compliment Mitro if needed...

In the ideal world we would have two killer wide players like Leto,Mirallas,Galletti, Djole....etc...feeding Mitro...and behind him Fortounis...

.....................................karnezis................................

toro.........................sokratis..........manolas............(should be lloyd)

.........................................taxi..........samaris.............

.................................................fortounis....................

mirallas/galletti.................................................................leto/djole

...........................................mitro...................................

THIS IS OUR PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like it 1

I heard Aussie hadn't registered Giannou...Little Ninis and Karelis are scoring lately like I used to at sleazy nightclubs years ago. I wonder if they can do this for Hellas, Nini might be worth a shot.

Edited by ausgreek

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and pinned this topic