Phantis Forums

Suggested Call Ups, Starting 11

Pirlo Tziolis even got in ahead of Tachtsidis! Must be for his vision. Still say he won't start and Skibbe will go with Samaris Maniatis (long range goal scorer) and Fortounis in midfield. Bakasetas Mitroglou (Mykonos) and Holebas as his starting front three.

4 hours ago, ELLAS75 said:

How could Tziolis be selected ahead of Fetfa or Ninis its a total waste!

I don't know why Tzioli would be on the team either, but this has nothing to do with Fetfatzidi. They play different positions, and the Messi of the middle east has done what exactly to warrant a NT selection anyway? Neither players should be selected. 

• Like it 1

6 hours ago, Amorgos said:

X2

I also feel Nini should have been called up.

Overall not an encouraging squad, hope they get it right

Not an encouraging lot to choose from either Amorge! :biggrin:

Besides maybe Tzioli and Maniati, I think the coach got it more or less right. Perhaps we are a bit short on central and mids and this is likely why the two were picked. Nini could have been picked it's true, if he plays consistently in Belgium I'm sure he will get a call up. If we end up playing with wing backs and not wingers (attacking) then it will be hard for Nini to crack the line up ahead of the options on the team already for attacking midfielder duty.

14054950_1167592436617447_78902392843820

--------------------------------------Kapino/Karnezi

-----------------------Papastathopoulo---Manola---K. Paps

Toro------------------------------------------------------------------------Holebas

-------------------------Mantalo------------------------Samari

----------------------------------------Fortouni

--------------------------Kareli---------------------AK-Mykonos-47

Three Goalkeepers

One Right back Toro

Five Centerbacks Oikonomou, Tzavellas, Papa,Sokratis,Manolas

One Left Back Stafylidis

Four CM/DMs Petsos, Samaris, Maniatis Tziolis

Two AMFs Fortounis , Mantalos

Three Wingers Holebas , Bakasetas, Gianniotas, (Diamantakos)

Three CFs: Mitro, Karelis, Vellios ,(Diamantakos)

*Diamantakos is either a Winger or a CF to be fair, Im not aware where to put him, so I ll put him in both.

*Tzavellas is not a LB anymore dummies, hes been playing as a CB for about 1,5 year. Learn your stuff guys :P.

*Cholevas, I listed him with the Wingers. Why? A) He is playing as a Mid/Winger in his team. B) If we consider that the call ups have a line up it's Goalkeepers first, Then Defenders, Then Midfielders,Then Wingers, Then Atk Midfielders, Then CFs. I am not 100% if that's based and typically correct but I think he is listed as a winger.

*Maniatis, do we have any news for him? No spot at Olympiakos and its been more than a week since there are rumours he got a transfer.

*I don't like the idea of either Fortounis and Mantalos being used as wingers. They need totally different characteristics, and I believe they will play both, one as a starter and the second as a sub

Thoughts. In Bold are players which I believe did not exactly deserve a call up. Oikonomou proved he doesn't fit in. However, if Skibbe's/EPO's thoughts are actually to εγκλιματίσουν(try to translate this) the young guy I believe they are doing good. Wanted from teams like Napoli and being a Serie A starter so young means he has something. Maybe it was bad games whenever we saw him play, maybe he never fits in, let him have his chance to train and fit in the team.
Tziolis, i dont know, έχει βύσμα. Nothing else to say. I rated this player when he was active but right now he is not even playing at PAOK, Nothing else.

So all in all, I find this squad complete. No Vyntras, No Christodoulopoiloi, No Karabeles,No Papazoglou,No Aravidis,No Klaus who are unworthy of a call.

What I would change: Fetfatzidis instead of Tziolis and Tachtsidis instead of Oikonomou. That would be the squad Id be totally happy with. Maybe adding injured Kone these are our best 24 players currently. Promising Pelkas as well makes 25 players. 

Expecting not a 4-3-3 as most say but a 4-2-3-1

I am not aware about the friendly, because its a friendly and its purpose is to test but will make a guess for the Gibraltar match:

- - - - - - - - -Karnezis- - - - - - - - - - -

Torosidis-Manolas-Sokratis-Stafylidis

- - - - - - -Samaris Maniatis- - - - - - - - 

-Gianniotas -Fortounis -Cholevas

- - - - - - ---- -Mitroglou- - - - - - -- - -

Apart from Torosidis , Stafylidis , Samaris , Fortounis , Mitroglou, Gianniotas we can see small changes in the CB slot (since there are 3 more in the mission and K.Paps is finally here) , in the Maniatis position we could see Petsos (Or Mr Vysma), and maybe Diamantakos instead of Jose.

Edited by Rockafeller Skank

I don't agree with Maniatis and Tziolis or Vellios? Maniatis has a place on the team but not now when he is looking for a team. What's up w/the Vellios call up? Not deserved in my opinion. I don't understand these skippers logic. They always say they will pick most in form players and players without a team ie. Maniatis and Tziolis will not be selected yet they are. Ninis most in form Greek player right now not selected. Deserved a call up.

I suspect that we will play with a 3-5-2 formation. This is because so many strikers, wingers/wing backs, and center backs were called up. 

Most of the callups make sense.As another poster already pointed out, at least there's no aravidis, papazoglou, vyntra, and lazaros. 

I would replace Tziolis for tachtsidis, and vellios for ninis. 

I feel sorry for ninis. To have had such a strong start to the season, he must have worked very hard in the off-season. Meanwhile, most of the other players that were called up were probably drinking frappedes and ouzo. I think that ninis would have torn Gibraltar apart with a couple assists..now we have to hope that we escape embarrassment with average players like maniatis, petsos, and Tziolis  (I still can't believe he has "earned " so many caps ) running the midfield. 

On 24/8/2016 at 3:30 AM, Makynia said:

I don't agree with Maniatis and Tziolis or Vellios? Maniatis has a place on the team but not now when he is looking for a team. What's up w/the Vellios call up? Not deserved in my opinion. I don't understand these skippers logic. They always say they will pick most in form players and players without a team ie. Maniatis and Tziolis will not be selected yet they are. Ninis most in form Greek player right now not selected. Deserved a call up.

Maniatis has left to find a team more than 1,5 maybe 2 weeks ago. He might already be there but they are not announcing him yet (who knows why). I doubt he went to the airport and took the plane to go somewhere with even the small doubt that the move is not going to happen/he doesn't want it to happen.

Can't be sure what you mean about most in form Greek player being Ninis., he is playing at a mediocre team at one of not the best leagues. You clearly can't believe he is our most in form player of the Midfield,when we have players like Mantalos proving his worth against a strong Saint Ettiene and Samaris playing for top club Benfica.
Im just posting about players in his position. Ninis seems done. 

Skanksta, I agree about Sotiri Ninis. The Skibbe chose Fortounis and Mantalos ahead of Ninis. He even chose Gianniotas, Bakasetas and Diamantakos ahead of Fetfatzidis.

With rb, Skibbeman chose Oik and Tzav to cover cb, and push Sok to the right to cover Toro skipper.

Petsos is a good inclusion in the squad. The experience of Tziolis? I'm not a fan but I'll back the coach on this. He can adjust the squad after 2 games if he must. 

Edited by ausgreek
Better post.

Well To be honest I dont believe he wanted Tziolis either. We ve said it though, a player that gets picked everytime for his NT either is a world class player who can still affect the game somehow on a bad day, or the dude has a βύσμα. I don't believe anyone considers Tzioli a world class top talent, so it probably is the 2nd. My point is , if out of 23 slots the Βύσμα is only one, and not 4-5 like previous times (Papazoglou?Lukas Vuntra?Karabelas?Athanasiadis?Aravidis?). Which means we are heading to a nice direction.
Maybe Excluding Mr Tziolis another player who is questioning is Oikonomou. But who are we to judge ? Most of you were bashing Santos for not "making the Youth familiar with the NT so that they can continue the success of the previous athletes". Skibbe is doing it now so go make him an άγαλμα guys.

These players selected alongside Vellidis,Bouchalakis,Kone,Tachtsidis,Fetfatzidis need to be our 30-men core. It sounds bad but honestly, we have noone else. (Platellas,Tzanetopoulos,Mystakidis,Pelkas,Mavrias can also be useful in the future).

Gianniotas is having huge impact for a team not smaller than Oly,Pao,Paok this year, and in fact they did better in all their qualifiers despite being unseeded in their 2 last match ups. They kept Gianniotas and sold de vincetti ahead of their qualifiers. I believe he is a big talent , almost wasted when going to Olympiakos.

Edited by Rockafeller Skank

Skankaroo, it was out of Alexandros Pirlo or Tachtsidis and he went for Pirlo. He opted for the  experience factor, I guess he felt he couldn't carry two guys not that mobile for the midfield positions.

With his back four, the Germans usually pick cb's as fullbacks so all these cb's are typical of that. I'm willing to back him with this even though he didn't pick another rb. Skibbe is trying to instill some steely German influence, perhaps trying to create a strong culture. Hope he can, the head office will try and spoil it for him.

Disappointed to still see Tziolis over Tachtsidis; was also hoping to see Ninis get a call.

Oh well, let's see what Skibbe rolls out for these games. My hope is that he moves away from the 4-3-3 and tries something different. A 5-3-2 or 4-2-3-1 would probably suit our players better (in terms of guys playing in their natural positions). I was also hoping we would have phased out Maniatis by this point but it seems like the coach is intent on keeping him around so...

------------------------------------------------------------Karnezis-------------------------------------------------------

Torosidis--------------------------------Papastathopoulos---------------Manolas------------------------Holevas

-----------------------------------------------------Maniatis-----------------Samaris-----------------------------------

--------------------------------Gianniotas--------------------Fortounis---------------------Mantalos----------------

---------------------------------------------------------------Mitroglou----------------------------------------------------

Alternatively:

------------------------------------------------------------------Karnezis-------------------------------------------------

Torosidis-------------------Papadopoulos (if fit)--------Papastathopoulos----------Manolas-------Holevas

--------------------------------------------Maniatis------------Fortounis---------------Samaris----------------------

-------------------------------------------------------Karelis-----------------Mitroglou----------------------------------

Edited by AEK86
  • Like it 1

hmm Gianniotas over Ninis or Mantalos tho? is he really in that good of form?

Maniatis is psixaras but i've heard he lost his form abroad?

I'm feeling Petsos and Mantalos right now. They turn it up for the ethiki it seems.

Is petsos gunna be playing at bremen regularly tho?

georgelaz: Not sure if you were responding to my post but I included Mantalos in the 1st line-up. Since Ninis didn't get called up, I didn't bother putting him anywhere. Regarding Gianniotas, he has impressed me from the clips I saw of him playing for APOEL so I thought it'd be nice to try him out in a friendly to see what he's got. 

As for Maniatis, I think he's a technically-limited player the NT should be trying to phase out, especially as he's not getting any younger. At the same time, if the coaches do not feel that anyone else can take over that DM role (Tax, Petsos, etc) then I feel that we can still squeeze some use out of him since if nothing else, he does offer a little grit and tenacity. I think if you limit his responsibilities to pure yeoman's mop-up duty, he can still be useful. One thing I worry about with the 4-2-3-1 is that it still really separates the defensive players from the offensive players, making it difficult to break-out and transition (a chronic problem for the NT). If Tax would develop into the kind of consistent two-way player we think he's capable of, then that would go a long way to fixing that IMO. I think one advantage of the 5-3-2 is that more of the forward movement should come from the wingbacks getting crosses in, which takes pressure off the midfield actually stringing passes together up to the forwards (another chronic problem for the NT). 

I haven't seen enough of Petsos to really comment but would surely welcome him getting some time over these 2 games to see what he can do. 

• Like it 1

Rockafeller what I mean about Ninis is he is our most in form Greek player right now. He is playing regularly at Charleroi, getting minutes and playing very well. I didn't say bring him in and put in the starting 11. I said he deserved a call up whereas Maniatis and Tziolis who play in the midfield didn't. My starters are Samaris, Mantalos and Fortounis but Ninis could be brought on as a sub and help create I'm sure. Especially against Gibraltar.

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and pinned this topic