Phantis Forums

Suggested Call Ups, Starting 11

^ I don't think we are there yet based on one game that tied, especially since a few days prior we lost 1-0 to a minnow. Way to early to Assume we have turned the corner imo. We don't even know what Skibbes plans are or who he has in mind to start for this team.

A good manager will get the best out of his team by playing to it's strengths. The strengths of the current Greek national team is Kostas Manolas, Sokratis Papastathopoulos, Kyriakos Papadopoulos & Kostas Fortounis. So you must play with Sokratis & Manolas as right & left stoppers & have K.Paps playing as a free man, covering sweeper when defending & libero in attack. This will also allow Holebas (left) & Torosidis (right) to attack more as wing backs & not tradition right & left backs. Two central midfielders must be hardworking & not playmakers whom will not win the 50/50 challenges & won't cover for the wing backs so you go for Samaris & either Maniatis or Tachtsidis depends on the opposition. Up front Kostas Mitroglou with attacking midfielders Kostas Fortounis & one other.

• Like it 1

Probably the only player that ... maybe ... can get away with not playing regularly would be Holebas because the guy is just an athlete through and through.  Even then though, if you haven't been playing regularly it's a risk.  If we're relying on players like Torosidis, Holebas and especially Tachtsi to save the day, we are in more trouble than we thought.  The only thing I know about Tachtsi for sure is that you'll get one good game from him in four.

Loving that avatar tasos13.

It has always been tricky figuring out who should be in the starting 11 in my opinion the defensive midfield position is very thin and I believe only Samaris and Tachtsidis should be in there. I also believe that they are both level in ability. It's just one of them is faster than the other. They are both level In passing but I believe Tachtsidis plays more riskier passes, which is good. They are both tall, good in the air, strong and both a goal each.

Maniatis is another option but is not as good as a distributor as the other 2.

Petsos needs to be given a go.

Bouchalakis and Kourbelis have long way especially the latter.

K.Papadopoulos can be an option cause he is a strong tackler and in a 3 man midfield he can sit back and let the likes of Samaris, Tachtsidis, Fortounis, Mantalos and Pelkas create and support the forwards.

Guys I've been looking at old footage from qualifying campaigns and tournaments. Both Euro 2012 and World Cup 2014 (both with Santos at the helm). One consistent I see

from all the goals we scored and it's not all of them but the majority of the goals is Samaras had a direct hand in all of them. He either bombed the ball to Torosidis who one touched

it to Salpi for that beautiful goal vs Romania in the World Cup playoff gm or with minutes left vs Costa Rica lobbed another one into the box that Katsouranis flicked on to Gekas who turned

and shot the ball and Sokratis banged in the rebound to tie the gm which we eventually lost in penalties. The guy is a beast. i can clearly say that he was our biggest loss for the

Euro 2016 qualifying campaign since he had no team and was never called up. I know we lost Kara and Katsouranis and Salpi but the key was Samaras. He was our most creative

offensive player and we simply couldn't create anything offensively. I don't understand how no team has signed this guy through two transfer periods or why he just doesn't come

and play in Greece for his last couple of years? The proof is in the pudding take a look at our goals and you'll see for yourself. The beautiful pass to Salpi when we eliminated the Ukraine

in Ukraine, the one two with Samaris vs Ivory coast when Samaris scored then Samaras cool calm and collective scored that penalty shot that sent us to the final 16 for the first time ever.

That goal vs Germany, also the wrong footed one vs Croatia in Greece, or the one two with Holebas on that fast counter-attack play that resulted in Holebas drilling the crossbar or how bout

the hustle vs Croatia to outrun the defender and deliver a sitter for Gekas which as we all remember he missed. Let's give this guy some credit. We miss you Samaras.

Find a team and get your ass back on the NT. We need you!!!!

Makynia OUT!!!!

Edited by Makynia
  • Like it 2

You're correct Makynia imo. He was our best player during our best world cup campaign of all time.

Completely unappreciated. 

I think he had some great offers, but he wanted to go to Arabia for a stint. The pace of modern football is so fast that most managers nowadays don't look past 6months-year.

So all that form is worth zero to them now.

Depending on the player, 30 is not old. Samaras at 30, could very well have 5 more years in him. 

Would Samaras & Mitroglou ever be a good combo? I can't recall them ever making a combo together, but it seems like a good fit!

Edited by georgelaz
  • Like it 1

Samaras has been so crucial for us and deserves little (not none, but little) of the stick he gets. He has a lackadaisical style sure and his finishing can be sketchy. But as you point out, he's been crucial in so many goals. His performance as a target man against Russia in Euro 2012 stands out for me as one of the best by a Greek player in recent years. A shame his career has totally gone off the rails. I'm beginning to fear we won't see him in an NT jersey again

Edited by Nikod

not many doubt his importance to Greece IN THE 2009-2014 PERIOD...

However he is essentially now an ex footballer who has not played a match for a long time....

1) is he healthy?

2) is he healthy mentally?

3) can he get healthy?

4) where will hr sign in the summer?

5) will he find form at club level?

6) does he have the will to play at this level?

until these questions are answered he is not an option....

as it stands today......

.......................karnezis...............................

toro.............sokratis........manolas........holebas

...........................samaris..........................

...............XXXXX...................fortounis..............

XXXXXXXX...........................................XXXXXXXX

.............................mitro............................

• Like it 1

^^  As much as I don't like him, Maniati getting minutes in Belgium could be crucial. I feel he is better suited to playing as the "kofti" than Samari who could play next to him or slighly higher up with Fortouni as the dekari. Then that just leaves the wings which is anyones guess, do we give Fetfa a shot? not really playing in the middle east is he injured? Karelis has been good since his move but it seems he is being played as an out and out striker rather than wide. Can Kone recapture his WC 14 form? he looks better centrally though.... Lazaro is used rarely off the bench at Sampdoria. 

We have midfielders, the thing for us is finding the right combo which we couldn't do after 10 qualifiers and a handful of friendlies. Our biggest issue is plugging those wide postions, and it has been for years. 

• Like it 1

No point in wide options. we dont have wingers. fetfa unable to play well at NT level , Karelis not a winger.

We just have to put more AMs like Kone or Mantalos or Pelkas and thats all. 4 - 2 - 2 - 2 our best option if we wanna score and keep the defence.
       karnezis
toro - manolas - sokra - holebas

samaris - X1
   X2 - fortounis

mitroglou X3

Where X1: Tachtsidis, Maniatis , Petsos (Zeca if he is available)

X2: Kone , Pelkas , Mantalos
X3: Karelis , Vellios , Giannou 

I just named 17 players , adding 1 more goalkeeper we have 5 more players to pick. no lazaros however. if we want a winger the only in form one is kaltsas.

• Like it 1

Guys I've been looking at old footage from qualifying campaigns and tournaments. Both Euro 2012 and World Cup 2014 (both with Santos at the helm). One consistent I see

from all the goals we scored and it's not all of them but the majority of the goals is Samaras had a direct hand in all of them. He either bombed the ball to Torosidis who one touched

it to Salpi for that beautiful goal vs Romania in the World Cup playoff gm or with minutes left vs Costa Rica lobbed another one into the box that Katsouranis flicked on to Gekas who turned

and shot the ball and Sokratis banged in the rebound to tie the gm which we eventually lost in penalties. The guy is a beast. i can clearly say that he was our biggest loss for the

Euro 2016 qualifying campaign since he had no team and was never called up. I know we lost Kara and Katsouranis and Salpi but the key was Samaras. He was our most creative

offensive player and we simply couldn't create anything offensively. I don't understand how no team has signed this guy through two transfer periods or why he just doesn't come

and play in Greece for his last couple of years? The proof is in the pudding take a look at our goals and you'll see for yourself. The beautiful pass to Salpi when we eliminated the Ukraine

in Ukraine, the one two with Samaris vs Ivory coast when Samaris scored then Samaras cool calm and collective scored that penalty shot that sent us to the final 16 for the first time ever.

That goal vs Germany, also the wrong footed one vs Croatia in Greece, or the one two with Holebas on that fast counter-attack play that resulted in Holebas drilling the crossbar or how bout

the hustle vs Croatia to outrun the defender and deliver a sitter for Gekas which as we all remember he missed. Let's give this guy some credit. We miss you Samaras.

Find a team and get your ass back on the NT. We need you!!!!

Makynia OUT!!!!

Great post! I mentioned this a while back. We havent been the same offensively,

I watched some of the 1st half Pana v Paok. Vlahodimas was on fire down the left! A worthy replacement for Samaras.

until these questions are answered he is not an option....

as it stands today......

.......................karnezis...............................

toro.............sokratis........manolas........holebas

...........................samaris..........................

...............XXXXX...................fortounis..............

XXXXXXXX...........................................XXXXXXXX

.............................mitro............................

Mostly agree with this line up except for Toro.  I truly think he's past it.  Toss a coin to see if you're going to get a good game from him or a good cross.  As for the XXXXXXX, it sounds about right.

Karnezis

Sokratis   K Papadopoulos   Manolas

Torosidis                                                       Holebas

Samaris

Kone                           Fortounis

Karelis

Mitroglou

Attacking selections more up in the air, expect for Mitroglou. I would definitely try out a 3-man CB tandem, considering that is, by far, our most cemented position.

Edited by Argy
  • Like it 1

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and pinned this topic