Phantis Forums

Suggested Call Ups, Starting 11

• 2 weeks later...

am i the only one that thinks we should call up players from the belgian and dutch leagues more often? im talking about players like lambrou, galitsios, marinos etc...now karelis and ninis. if such players are getting playing time and are in good form, i don't see why not. those leagues are better than the greek league anyway. better training facilities, better uefa ranking etc...   

marinos and galitsios should probably not be considered for selection as of right now...but in the past couple seasons, when they were playing week in, week out, they should have AT LEAST been called up for a friendly match. But they were ignored, among other greeks playing regularly in the dutch and belgian leagues.

or are players like tasoulis, karabelas, kolovos, and vellidis better? (they probably have better agents and corruption is involved- but that's a topic for another day :P)

lastly, i would like lamprou to get a call up. we don't have a number 2 keeper set in place.

Kapino rarely gets playing time. when he does play for club/country in the last couple seasons, he disappoints. He's not good enough to be greece's #2 keeper as of right now. vellidis has let in many soft goals for pas giannina this season and last. he's also had a shaky start since he joined paok. 

IF Karnezis gets injured, we may be in trouble. anyhow, id go with: karnezis,lambrou, vellidis. any other GK suggestions??

Galitsos should have been called up....he should have been no.2 to Toro

Marinos is garbage and playing for a garbage team....no way NT player

outside the top 4-6 teams the level of Belgian and Dutch league falls away....it's not as if we call up players outside the top 4-5 from GSL..

a good example are Katsikas and Papazoglou.....they were signed by Belgian and Dutch clubs..neither 'improved' from mediocre to poor GSL players to gain their transfer...nor did they get better playing in those leagues.....if players like this or Marinos can play in those leagues, we need to not get over excited about them..

If players are doing well they need to be noticed...but playing in a particular league should not mean much....We have Oikonomou in Serie A....he needs to be looked at..Petsos plays in a league with a lower ranking than GSL....But deserves a call up...

Let's not place too much emphasis on UEFA rankings....it's a very unscientific way to select NT players...

I think Kapino is much better than Lambrou..

• Like it 2

fair enough red sheriff. most of your points are valid.

i think uefa rankings are somewhat credible; they definitely give you an idea of which leagues are strong/weak...ie spain england and germany are deservedly ranked the highest.

the uefa rankings are also flawed...since they only assess the teams that actually qualify for european competition, which is misleading...i.e the portuguese league is ranked very high (like #5 in europe i think) since porto benfica and sporting usually perform well...however, the bottom-mid table teams in portugal are almost as poor as the midtable greek teams. therefore, from top to bottom, the portuguese league should not be ranked #5 in europe...the french and russian leagues, for example, are probably stronger.

anyhow, im still not convinced with kapino. he just doesn't get enough playing time and seems shaky when he does play...ill admit he does have a lot of potential, so he should probably replace vellidis in the NT 

• Like it 1

i just want to point out something as i want to point it out here. In the 2014 world cup we all know the players that played well Samaris, Kone and Lazaros. We thought that these players after Karagounis, Katsouranis and Salpingidis were going to do the job and show leadership and take over from the old players. Im finding it very hard still that we didn't qualify for Euro 2016. i actually believed we would reach the semi's in Euro 16 with the way we played in the World Cup in 2014. 

I also thought we would demolish our group. Especially because we have a younger squad with faster players. The 1st game is understandable, but after the 3rd game i started to realise something and something was not right. Something was not right. I still cant figure it out only until a few weeks ago. Yes there were things like the players were not showing passion, energy or showing no interest. But i believe that was not true. i believe the team had this mentality that they could take it easy against the teams as they thought they were too good for them and underestimated them.

But then again the second match against the Faroes proved to be something else as it was i feel a poor combination players and bad luck up the front.

The only good games we played was against Romania and Hungary both home and away. those are the only 4 that i think we played good and showed character but even then there were bad points as is always the case with the National Team. 

I know there is another topic on this forum about the most dissapointing player but i am having hard time as to who i think was the most dissapointing player was. But i beleve our defence was most dissapointing all included. But if i had to choose a single player that dissapointed me i think it would have to have been either Samaris or Kone. I actually counted on these 2 to do the job for Greece. I knew Lazaros would be inconsistent, I also knew Mitroglou would be inconsistent. The only good player i think overall and shows a lot of promise is Karelis, he shocked me a couple of times. I also think Karnezis could have done better. 

I also think once Torosidis and Holebas stop playing and lose form we will be in trouble. Kitsiou and Stafylidis i believe are not strong to keep up with the stronger teams. I believe if we want to get better we need to utilise Holebas and Torosidis on the wings and make sure Mitroglou is on his game swell as others. I also believe Fortounis needs to start from here on out.

Id like to know what everyone else thinks about what i have said and add what else was the cause and what needs to happen from now.

Edited by Dean97
  • Like it 1

great point. Kone & Samaris had to step it up big time now. They are essentially assuming the roles of Karagounis & Katsouranis. The greatest mid-field combo of all time for Greek football.

Samaris is starting to look amazing though. Games against Luxenbourg & Turkey he was a maestro. 

Hopefully Kone can ignite at Fiorintina. 

I had a close look at Giannou today...he looked awful...

he's dodgy at times the few times I've seen him. My gut goes more with Velios. 

I'm a Mitroglou fan boy through & through though lol. willingly admit.

Edited by georgelaz

Samaris, taxi,Kone,mitro, and Fortounis, need to be our go to guys, we pretty much know who our defense is going to be but for Greece to have any success those 5 guys need to be much better then they have been or we have no chance.

• Like it 1

^ I agree especially if they're not getting playing time, but what other options do we have? On the other hand everyone that plays as a starter for the NT should be a regular player with regular paying time. I guess we need to look at our options and see if a player like Kone or Tach is still better at half the playing time then Anyone else we have that is playing regularly.

Mitroglou    

Kone

Fortounis

Tachtsidis     

Samaris

Holebas                                           Torosidis

Manolas  Sokratis

Karnezis

Most Valuable Subs

KPaps

Karelis

Ninis

* Kone as a second striker to replicate Jonas for the ethiniki. 

Players to watch

Petsos

Velios

Mantalos

Otto was often criticized for keeping the ethniki as a closed club, but it makes sense. It can be difficult to make a group out of a bunch of guys who only play together a handful of times. It's important to build harmony and chemistry and not turn the squad into a revolving door.

• Like it 1

I hope Kitsiou and Stafylidis improve their defence they need to be more physical and aggressive in their tackles. They are good at attacking. I also like the PAOK youth talent such as Kitsiou, Mystakidis, Pelkas, Charisis, Korovesis, I also heard good things about the new CB they bought. Im a Olympiakos fan and i believe PAOKs youth players they bring up are better than AEK, PAO and OLY. I also think Vellios should be playing ahead of Giannou in the pecking order. Even Iraklis youth players like Tsilianidis and Asteras Tripolis have Kourbelis. Ive heard good stuff about Panionios players such as Bakasetas. Im not sure what the coach is going to do with the team in the upcoming friendlies but players like Samaris, Sokratis, Manolas, and Mitroglou should not start give players like Pelkas, Gianniotas, Charisis, Diamantakos a go also let Kapino start and give K.Papadopoulos and Oikonomou a try as back ups.

the only position truly up for grabs is high up the pitch as a CAM/ Second Striker iMO

Defense is in lock.

Hard to argue leaving Samaris, Fortounis, Mitroglou, Tachtsidis out.

keep it to

karnezis

holebas sokratis kpaps manolas torosidis

taxi samaris

fortounis 

mitroglou

hard to argue leaving any of the above out. it's just that 11th spot

Kone is probably the guy for the job, but it's a competitive last spot.

You could make a good argument for Karelis too.

Edited by georgelaz
  • Like it 2

From relying on older experienced heads, Ethniki have started to settle towards a starting team, have again found hunger and steel, based on last two performances. Very impressed by the fact they didn't lose to Turkey, away in those howling conditions. Unfortunately it took all the Euro campaign to get some sort of rhythm again.

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and pinned this topic