Phantis Forums

Suggested Call Ups, Starting 11

It sounds like you're just trying to argue that a 3-5-2 doesn't exist. Torosidis and Holebas looked pretty far forward to me.

4-2-2-2 is what Panathinaikos plays, is it not? He's probably trying to argue that we don't have wingers.

• Like it 1

4 - 2 - 2 -2 example  (there are many different kinds)

holebas - Manolas - Sokratis - Torosidis

Tachtsi -   Samaris

Karelis                            Fortounis 

Mitroglou   Kone

4-2-3-1

Tachtsi -   Samaris

Karelis        Fortounis        Ninis

Mitroglou  

Edited by georgelaz

that's a 4-4-2.

4 - 2 - 2 -2 example  (there are many different kinds) * lol

Tachtsi -   Samaris

Ninis  Fortounis 

Mitroglou   Kone

Edited by georgelaz

A 5-3-2 becomes a 3-5-2 in attack its a very rotable system to play, it can also become a 4-4-2 if the DM sits deeper so it has its positives.

I just don't know why they don't try a 4-4-2 diamond formation, that gives variety also but these days the one striker is what many coaches prefer to use, but if you play 2 strikers teams are already on the back foot as they expect teams to play with 1 striker....

Ethniki can be original and go for a 4 1 1 1 1 1 1 formation. That'll confuse the Cypriots. You can't have 3 at  the back with ageing Holebas and Toro. Better off phasing in Staffy and  Bakakis. B)

Edited by ausgreek

It happened , we played 3-6-1 or 3-5-2 or 5-3-2 or whatever u wanna call it. But wanna know the bad thing ?  Kyriakos in a period of 4 months , is unjured the 3 out of 4 , and it takes him 2 weeks to find form , before he gets injured again 2 weeks later. 

It's not nice changing a team's plan every month , based on how healthy Kyriakos is. Because when he is injured (and i will not be bored saying that that's a fcking lot) you either have 2 options:

Either change the plan ,so the team literally never gets used to a plan and is not familiar with it , resulting in no cooperation and no proper communication , or put in siovas.

Now , as an Olympiakos I like siovas. He  can make some good balls to help offensively and is a bit smart, but when there are no wingerbacks his main goal is going to be stopping the enemy fast wingers. If im not wrong he plays as a LCB, at least thats where we saw him. Now Imagine him marking Mirallas. I can see a lot of stuff happening.

As for the weather we have wingerbacks or nah. Torosidis and Cholevas never were clearly defenders. Torosidis when at Olympiakos , and at his prime , was a player who could cover the whole Right side , and still some of his crosses end up being good. The fact that we dont score from them , or that they never reach someone , isn't solely his fault. However, he is come of an age that he can't run , and having someone unable to defend properly OR attack properly (aka being average when asked to to do both) is gonna be bad. 

Id recommend using him as a Fullback , and putting one of our 10s more wide in the Right area. 

On hte other side,  Cholebas still has some time to give good signs for the Ethniki , so id recommend putting him as a winger back.

A possible 5-3-2 with my fullback details could be :

Karnezis

Torosidis - Manolas - Sokratis - Kyriakos 

Cholevas

Taxtsidis    Samaris

Pelkas

Fortounis

Anyone who has feet 

• Like it 1

^ wasn't aravidis goal against northern ireland off a torosidis cross/pass?

he also assisted gervinho in champions league to a few goals via cross/throughball

Sounds like you're just proving my point.

that's why I think rockafeller skanks idea is best. 

keep torosidis as RB but use Holebas as a LWB that's encourage to go up

then play 3 cb's

that's pretty similar to what Santos had us doing actually minus the 3 cb's. so it's an improvement from his era theoretically. 

in 3 years we may be to look forward to Fetfatzidis (his contract expires in 3 years) & Mavrias on the wings (hopefully gets more experience and regular club time)

Karelis I think will step it up over the years, as well. Remember, he's only 23.

Edited by georgelaz

Toro and Holebas will be 33 & 34 respectfully in 2018. There is a need to be phased out in the next 12-18 months. Need young players to be able to run all day. Toro has slowed down now. They must join Moras, Vyntra and Tzioli out of the squad. Only Oresti as a thirty something should stay for alittle longer.

the 4-3-3 seems really nice as well

holebas - manolas - sokratis - torosidis

tachtsi                   Samaris

Fortounis

Ninis                         Kone            

Mitroglou

the solution I think is more creativity in the midfield. Atleast 4 AM is the solution, not getting our CB's involved in the play.

Because we don't have a SUPERSTAR in AM like Ronaldo, but we have depth in quality. 

Fortounis, Ninis, Kone, Tachtsi, Mantalos, Pelkas, Lazaros are all acceptable starting options.

if anything, I think we can utilize kpaps or sokratis as a RB when Torosidis loses his legs completely.

Not impressed with our RB options besides him. I'd be also down to even put maybe manolas and siovas on the left.

so 4 cb but playing lb and rb respectively. Just an idea

Edited by georgelaz

we have really good individual players, but finding a winning combination that's resilient to injuries has proven to be a great challenge!

the answer lies somewhere between the 4-3 win against hungary lineup and the 0-0 with turkey lineup

namely 3 cb's and 4 attacking mids perhaps?

and iron dome at the back to let our creativity flourish going forward.

both are crucial. we need a strong defense and strong offense to be competitive going forward.

kpaps sokratis manolas -> mandatory at the back

fortounis pelkas mantalos tachtsidis -> mandatory up front

samaris mitroglou holebas karnezis -> to fill up the rest

karelis, torosidis, ninis, siovas, kone -> prove very useful bench additions.

^ these are the positives we saw since the World Cup 2014 imO

this seems to hint at 4 - 2 - 3 - 1

Karnezis

Holebas -    manolas   Kpaps  - Sokratis ©

Samaris Tachtsidis

Pelkas                   Fortounis                  mantalos

Mitroglou

1. Holebas can launch forward with no worries as we have 3 top cb's and Samaris can even patch up his space

2. we have many offensive outlets to creatively confuse the opposition.

3.  it's based on the few positive things we've seen according to current NT and club form.

4. what do you know! karnezis is the oldest starting 11, at 30! This is how it should be! Captain Sokratis

Schibbe seems smart, he'll likely find something similar to this through tweaking and investigation. 

Edited by georgelaz

Whilst I was doing a couple of helicopter turns to a Mitropanos song, it occurred to me that our defence when on song, with Manolas,Kyriakos and Sokratis  on the pitch @ the one time, why not go 4 3 3 seeing it is more attacking and yet these defenders are talented enough, with Holebas with them, to defend so well. They may not be far off from their mojos as a unit. 

The 5 3 2 formation would mean the Jackson five, would have to run more to send passes to the mids, then the front third, which would get less service when they must adjust to a higher line often when required-na poume. Then they adjust to a 3 5 2, and lose the ball and the opposition wingers run around the back three.

Toro would need a Taxi if he does any box to box stuff-pardon the pun. The idea of Oresti being the eldest is the way to go. Bravo Lazo!  

Edited by ausgreek
  • Like it 1

After PAOKs Europa game, I cant see Klaus contributing to the NT, he is struggling at club level and I dont think he will be able to start scoring at WCUP qualifying. Karelis is also a question mark he can look good and then look ineffective.. so who do we turn too? Hopefully Mitroglou can get it going again, he cant do worse than the last campaign.

I've never personally liked the precedent of selecting *star* players that are out of form, purely because of who they've played for or play for.  Mitrogoal out.  Klaus out.  Giannou in.

If the *star* players don't like it, *sta*****a* mou.

problem is that even a poor mitro is classes better than a good Giannou...

Giannou is below standard...

i agree. If mitroglou plays two or more consecutive games next campaign and is abysmall, Giannou deserves a chance.

Provided Klaus continues his lackluster form this season.

But I think mitroglou & klaus will find form by world cup qualifiers.

giannou is probably our best 3rd choice is the aforementioned are playing shitty. 

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and pinned this topic