Phantis Forums

Suggested Call Ups, Starting 11

I also want to add is how did Ranieri call up players like Mavrias, Mantalos and Dinas when you had players like Kaltsas in form scoring for Veria and earned where he is today. Started from the bottom to the top. I think Kaltsas is a talented player but shouldve went to team like Asteras Tripolis and played in Europe he would have been scouted from other teams abroad. Mavrias at that time wasnt playing for Sunderland. Mantalos is very talented i would have called him up aswell Dinas is good but Kaltsas was better. I see that when you call up players like Mavrias to give them confidence and get some club form. It shouldent be like that, players should only be picked because they earned it by contributing, scoring or assisting. Right now an example of who earned a call up is Giannou. Tasoulis i dont know who he even is. Ive never seen him play. 

Holebas, Stafylidis and Tzavellas have that LB covered for the next 4 years. The right back position is a concern, the only reason why i say that is because Torosidis is declining but is still worth being in the team. 

To conclude, the positions that need to be looked at so that we are content for the future is RB, LB, ST and Wingers. We have no natural winger. Id put Fortounis wing but he is more effective in the middle. We need a winger who are fast, can cross well, take on players, have skill and are good finishers. Thats why i think we might need to put Pelkas there for the time being and have a look at Kaltsas for later on. Lazaros is an option also. Kone should not be on the wing, also Ninis. CBs options are strong so is keepers. You really cant say anything has been good, even the midfield is poor but something is telling me that Tachtsidis and Fortounis have that covered.

Edited by Dean97

NO doubt we have issues with in form strikers...

but I think our options are very limited.....

once salpi and samaras went off..and now Mitro being injured things got desperate...

Bakasetas etc...are not the answer...

where is Kaltsas today?

interestingly people are calling out 'corruption' for the call ups of Tasoulis and Dinas etc...48-50 + players were called up...

there is a clear case of the coaching staff being lost...

I think it's easy to pull out the 'corruption' card...

mostly our starting 11 will be one that generally we all agree with

• Like it 1

Nice Call Ups to be honest. If you extract Vyntra and Athanasiadis and put in their places Stafylidis and Mantalos its literally the best we got. But Mantalos was kinda injured and every coach in Greece HAD to use Vyntra once so we  can't judge him.

I dont understand people saying too many things about corruptions. Ok dude , we get it. You don't like Tzavelas or Athanasiadis or Aravidis. But taking young players who are playing for teams like Panionios or are the 3rd choice winger on a Panathinaikos that plays without wingers is not the answer. I mean I feel what you are saying, that they have scored lots of goals in Greece, but, does scoring versus Platanias,Levadiakos,Veroia make them good players? Did these players score goals versus Olympiakos or Panathinaikos ? The only 2 teams that have already gone high in points ? 

It's simple. He preffered to pick only from teams that have played in Europe. Olympiakos, Panathinaikos,PAOK,Asteras.
He picked every good player we have from good championships (Germany,Italy,Portugal,

I dont mind klaus being called up for the upcoming friendly matches. Keep in mind, it took gekas, mitroglou and salpi YEARS to score regularly for greece. They ended up being important players for the ethniki.

My feeling is, once klaus scores his first goal, he'll be on fire and confident.

• Like it 1

Strikers for me are still 1. Mitroglou 2. Klaus 3. Giannou

Karelis is a winger/second striker 

Kone can be a good second striker but he doesn't play there regularly so kinda a waste of a starting spot. it's an option though

I'm super confident that if our midfield is the midfield in the hungary 4-3 or something similar

like with Ninis/Mantalos, Fortounis, Pelkas, Tachtsidis, Samaris Klaus will score with good service

we could also play with two strikers. Mitroglou being strong on the left and Klaus/Giannou strong on the right 

since none of our midfield is that good at scoring IMO, except Karelis who's borderline LW/CF

• Like it 1

What is the difference between an AM and a second stiker?

A DM, someone in a holding position and the old sweeper? Just different terminology I would say.

Why are the left/right backs the fullbacks when the centre-backs are at the back too? Any further back, they'll be on top of the keeper. They are all fullbacks surely.

Athanasiadis is crap. Vellios should have been called up. He's really proved himself and while I can let this time go, it would be a shame if he doesn't get called up next time if he keeps his form.

Vellios is a nothing player just like Giannou. Maybe some of you should watch these guys play before making bold statements. For some reason some people only remember those 4 goals he scored for Everton that gave him god like status

the past 3 going on 4 years asteras finished 5th, ,4th, 3rd and are sitting on 4th again this year.

this is a long enough time frame to take them seriously. 

I think Giannou is proving a point right now.

I don't know much about Vellios beyond his stats, which don't impress me. Unless I'm missing something?

What is the difference between an AM and a second stiker?

A DM, someone in a holding position and the old sweeper? Just different terminology I would say.

Why are the left/right backs the fullbacks when the centre-backs are at the back too? Any further back, they'll be on top of the keeper. They are all fullbacks surely.

I could be wrong but I think there is a difference

Fetfatzidis is an AM. He plays really deep into the attackers goal but mainly feeds other players rather than scores.

Second strikers are basically strikers but because they are short, they play a bit further from the goal than the main striker since it's their shot, not their headers that are an asset.

A defensive mid lays on top of the cb, whereas a sweeper lays behind the CBs.

the left/right back I don't think I need to explain cause it's obvious lol

• Like it 1

the past 3 going on 4 years asteras finished 5th, ,4th, 3rd and are sitting on 4th again this year.

this is a long enough time frame to take them seriously.

I think Giannou is proving a point right now.

I don't know much about Vellios beyond his stats, which don't impress me. Unless I'm missing something?

I agree Giannou should be given a shot also Vellios. We should be trying different strikers. Mitroglou is slow most of the time and Klaus dissent get involved and when he does it's either he loses the ball or just plays a simple pass. You need a striker that's eager for the ball and that's running. Everyone should be running. Players like Diamatakos and Karelis are examples of running strikers even Aravidis. Players like Mitroglou like to sit and wait for a chance.

Skibbe has got to get Mitroglou to play for his teammates. A somewhat wayward ball goes his way and he doesn't even jump for it or chase it. If he thinks he's sending a message to his teammates to play better balls to him, then he's asking too much of some and he's being arrogant if so. And for whatever reason, the bust up between him and Kostenoglou saw Kostenoglou off the team and it snowballed into Karagounis' exit. He was given the captain's armband when Sokratis was subbed off against Hungary, not a move I was fond of. He's clear an important play and I think in this CF/ST role, Mitroglou is the player we need whether anyone likes it or not. Skibbe will need to get this issue re Mitroglou right.

As for the other striker options, none of them are as nearly prolific.

It's not really that hard.  You pull him aside, and tell him one on one, if I see you doing this or that, I'll drag you.  Keep doing it, I'll drop you.  Not rocket science.

People seem to think that Klaus is has been given legitimate chances but he's only started and played over 65 minutes twice for the Ethniki against Hungary and Finland. 

Isn't that enough to condemn the guy ?  So much bias in these threads based on team allegiance, it's nauseating.

• Like it 1

Isn't that enough to condemn the guy ?  So much bias in these threads based on team allegiance, it's nauseating.

I'm not going to lie there is always going to be bias, this is the GSL the only team you watch week in, week out is your own so you're going to see a lot more from your own players than say for example a Panathinaikos fan would if you were a PAOKtzi. 

Getting back to Klaus though, when I watch him play it's clear to me he's on another level, he can be an inconsistent scorer at times but around the park, it's simple things he does where he leaves no room for error, there are a handful of players in the league who can do so as confidently as he does.

For whatever reason Fernando Santos wasn't a fan of his, even when Klaus was showing some of his best form he wasn't selected. The lack of solid consistent game time for the Ethniki hasn't given him the best of chances to score the goal that alludes him, and now that long awaited goal has embed itself into his mentality whenever he puts on the blue and white fanela. There isn't a Greek forward on his or Mitroglou's level, give the guy a real chance, give him 90 minutes, alternate both him and Mitroglou as the main guy on form. 

Edited by Pontos
  • Like it 1

For whoever is wondering why they picked GIannou, he is first goalscorer in 9 matches of super league with 7 goals, apart from that he is also the first in chances needed to score with 2,1. all these according to http://www.superleaguegreece.net/el/stats/2015-2016-superleague-52/topplayers superleague's official site. This is the reason he was amongst the players chosen. He has also scored at Europa once.

Now I know scoring against the Greek Villages means nothing , but looking to the story so far , giannou has scored against some decent teams Panionios(this year seems to good for them),Pas Giannina, and levadiakos(This year looks like wow for them too). You totally can't miss him. You gotta check him, he looks promising at the age of 25.

Vellios is the form striker of the competition and scoring goals. Should have been called up for the Luxembourg game at least (like Giannou) to get some sort of experience. For the Turkey game surely we will see our core group of players that will lead us into the WC qualifiers and beyond.

Why Vellios and not Giannou ? I mean Mitroglou is the core and Athanasiadis could take a few more chances before dissapointing or showing spirit but for a 3rd choice why Vellios ? This guy has been a total failure , was on everton so many years and only asked for a loan at his 3rd or 4th year there i dont even remember. After that he came back to the Greek League. This guy is done with footballing success.

Giannou is doing better the past 2 years than Vellios. So Giannou is probably our 3rd.

UNLESS Samaras gets a club and scores at least once every 4th game. (This is could very much happen).

Vellios will probably steak a claim within the next 2 years though. Iraklis is really going for it. Despite the low table score, their spirit is uncanny. I don't think they'll get relegated for a few years, if not many years.

• Like it 1

im so humiliated and depressed all my passion and excitement for my beloved NT is fading quick. We have officially become a middle of the pack minnows team not even the upper end of the minnows. That is so pathetic. We literally go from a penalty shot goal away from reaching the final 8 to becoming one of the worst teams in Europe and in the world. Im not even excited for the World Cup campaign because the reality is we don't stand a chance in hell of qualifying yet alone beating anyone.

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and pinned this topic