Phantis Forums

Suggested Call Ups, Starting 11

I mean so they can start this new campaign for next year with the new coach, trying to implement new strategies, subtly ofcourse. Multiple training sessions and then the actual game, imitating professional-like environments fille.

the fact is.....not many European based NT's are able to assemble a squad for friendlies (and real games) much earlier...

Club sides finish commitments Sunday - Monday....squads really can't get together earlier than the Tuesday...

i assume the squad will be named on friday?

Edited by RED SHERIFF

These are friendlies, doesn't really matter if he calls them up.  At least he gets to see them in practice and make a decision based on how they perform for him. If he feels that they are not good, he will not call them up again. Also, if you look at the average age of the team, it is probably closer to 25 than 30.

The lineup is a natural progression. Although I can see the rationale for wanting Vyntra, Tziolis, Moras to be progressed faster.

I don't mind them, as long as they aren't starters. They'd only start if there's an injury.

Giannou got the call up. He's in great form, good height and we really need a 3rd striker. 

Samaras needs to get his s%$#! together because he's one of our best strikers. Go to Italy for a pay cut dude.

This euro campaign should be Samaras's last one as a major figure for us.

If Holebas wasn't on the Greek squad, I'd say Tzavellas is our next best LB. 

He has better free kicks than Holebas, more passionate about the NT, and slightly better defensive skills.

He also is very important to a very solid PAOK over the past few years.

I feel way more confident with Tzavellas at the back then Stafylidis.

Edited by georgelaz

Aside from a couple players, the callups make sense. I dont wanna sound like otto, but this is greece were talking about, not Brazil. This is the best we got, folks.

Tziolis should be replaced by kourbelis. Platellas should replace vyntra or moras. Thats about it, all the other options are injured (kone, lazaros, oikonomou, fetfa, stafylidis mantalos etc..) unless im forgetting one player, but i doubt that.

Im looking forward to thw turkey match, should be heated. We better not lose or i wont hear the end of it from my turkish friend. Lol

by the same token I think the same can be said about Platellas, the lower divisions were very different...  We need to be careful not to get carried away with players like this ans Dinas, Dounis etc....there are reasons why they have played lower league football in their mid 20s...

to then elevate them to GSL status and NT is a huge ask...

I have followed Aravidis thru Aris- Panionios days etc....and to me he still the same product he was in his early 20s...

I think the NT  has options in the midfield....and wide players that a better today...

Samaris, Taxi, Mandalos, Fortounis, Kone are the standouts....  Ninis,Pelkas, Petsos,Lazaros,Fetfa can be good options too...

I think if Skibbe can somehow blend Samaris- Taxi -Ninis- Fortounis - Mandalos- Kone we are on huge winner..

I think he will start the Turkey match with his best 11..we may see a variation for Luxembourg may use this as a warm for Turkey..

........................Karnezis........................

Toro.............Sokratis.........Manolas........Holebas

..........................Samaris..............................

.................Fortounis.............Taxi...................

Ninis....................................................Karelis

...........................Mitro.............................

• Like it 1

He's a very raw player with potential to play at a high level someday. He favors defending with one touch, intercepting play while passing it simultaneously. He's got a good build. He's got quite a bit of experience for player his age. I don't think he's a starter for Greece, not at this time, but when I see Fountas get called up and even plays, it makes wonder how this guy gets the cold shoulder.

How about his haunches? Please go into detail.

_________Mitroglou

__Pelkas____________Ninis

_________Fortounis

____Tachtsidis____Samaris

Holebas_____________Torosidis

_____Manolas__Sokratis

_________Karnezis

Bench:

Kapino

Vellidis

Tzanetopoulos

Oikonomou

Papadopoulos

Kitsiou

Tzavellas

Kourbelis

Petsos

Kone

Baseketas

Vellios

Giannou

*Just tweeked the bench

Edited by Ethnikos

_________Mitroglou

__Pelkas____________Ninis

_________Fortounis

____Tachtsidis____Samaris

Holebas_____________Torosidis

_____Manolas__Sokratis

_________Karnezis

Bench:

Kapino

Vellidis

Tzanetopoulos

Oikonomou

Papadopoulos

Kitsiou

Tzavellas

Kourbelis

Petsos

Kone

Baseketas

Vellios

Giannou

*Just tweeked the bench

You put in Tzanetopoulos Ninis and Bakasetas but not Mantalos??

• Like it 1

ok...

there is genuine belief that we only have two good strikers....Mitro and Klaus....(rightly or wrongly) based on reputation, achievements over the years, at club or NT(Mitro) or given that they play for 'higher profile clubs"..

neither of them are in good form...Mitro is carrying an injury......

at the moment no NT coach would lead the attack with anyone other than Klaus or Mitro..in the belief/hope they will find form...

Aravidis is simply living off the 'good work' he did with AEK....This will/may run out very soon...and he will go down the order where he was 2 years ago..

Vellios is paying for being lost for 3 years....2-3 goals for a poor Iraklis in a few games does not warrant a call up..

Bakasetas is in the same boat as Giannou....guys like this, playing for these types of clubs really need to earn their stripes over a long period to be considered..

I think we are still waiting for the next generation of Greek striker to emerge....Diamantakos is on the verge of falling off the cliff...

Ioannidis and Vergos will either follow him off the cliff or do a 'Mitro' in the next 12-24 months...

Edited by RED SHERIFF
  • Like it 1

Our striking options are not the best. Mitroglou is our only hope of success. I think Vellios is one hope for the future aswell as Giannou. Also players like Bakasetas, Diamantakos and Vergos really have to step it up. Klaus and Aravidis are both the same age id rather have Vellios or Giannou instead of Klaus. Aravidis i dont know yet id keep him on the bench. Pecking order for who starts as striker should be:

1.Mitroglou

2.Karelis

3.Vellios/(Giannou he is top goal scorer along with Fortounis)

4.Aravidis

5.Klaus

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and pinned this topic