Phantis Forums

Suggested Call Ups, Starting 11

Surely Ninis couldn't have been any worse than Giannakopoulos at Euro 2008 and if we had a coach who was at all concerned with the future, we might have seen Ninis, not Patsazoglou, against South Korea.

Giannakopoulos practically didnt play at all at Euro 2008. We have seen Ninis against Argentina, he didnt show much (nor did he two years later).

Samaris plays in the UCL for Benfica and Tachtsidis plays regularly in the very defensive minded Italian league. Tachtsidis is a bigger, stronger player than Tziolis. Samaris is a quicker, bigger player than Maniatis. They are very similar to the counterparts you have recommended instead, except they are younger and are both on upwards trajectories.

Perhaps Tachtsidis is similar to Tziolis, Maniatis is a better player than Samaris and Tachtsidis.

It makes a lot of sense to close out the midfield three with one of these players. Against superior sides, they would probably be better suited as options off the bench and a more defensive player would be preferable.

A Katsouranis type player would have been preferable against Faroe Islands, too. To be fair, I must add I think there were problems with our match tactics too.

Uninteresting harangues, endless bashing of great players and coaches (see for example above that about Rehhagel), baseless laudations of players who almost never excelled, startling "explanations" (tries to pin the third German goal on Maniatis) etc. etc. I can see your preference for him.

Maniatis is right for Greece's midfield because he can run and run in other words he can be the engine for the team and can tackle well as seen in games from qualifying and world and euro cups. I just wish every player in the midfield had his work rate.

The point is we lack experience and we lack experience because we keep playing tired older guys in place of a younger options who clearly have major potential.

Rehhagel called up Giannakopoulos into the finals squad, a player who missed the net from 6 yards out against Turkey with the score at 1-2. He was an experienced player with nothing more to give Greece and was clearly past it. For all our experience, which was the only thing players like Giannakopoulos had to offer, we saw comical defending from Greece against Sweden on the second goal, Nikopolidis inexplicably ran out of his net for Russia's game winning goal, and Dellas embarrassingly slipped against Spain on their game-winning goal. Our players were too old and our coach's tactics were outrageously conservative.

Giannakopoulos wasnt in his prime then but he got only a couple of minutes at Euro 2008;

he missed the net against Turkey, and thats why he shouldnt been called up in the squad? (cf. "Rehhagel called up [...] a player who missed the net from 6 yards out") Everybody can miss, Messi missed great chances;

Nikopolidis was horrible vs Sweden and Russia;

Dellas was simply unlucky (as was for example Terry with that penalty in the CL final), he wasnt past it entirely (later, between 2010 and 2012 he played very well for AEK, just as Tavlaridis now for PAO);

there were players who were over 30, even so they were our best choices. Even the younger Salpingidis and Samaras wasnt so smart in 2008, Ninis, Mitroglou and Papastathopoulos was still unexperienced, who should have been played by Rehhagel instead of Dellas, Basinas, Karagounis and the likes?;

after our "outrageously conservative" head coaches we had a coach who "had a vision" and "cared about the future" (as you said about the idiotic tinkerman on the old forum), talented youngsters, less conservative tactics, with disastrous results.

The whole post could be dismantled so, some valid points and a lot of eloquently presented nonsense.

Edited by La Mendel

Santos and Rehhagel probably would have made a better match tactics (defense + counterattacks + set-pieces). There always are some injured players, against Ivory Coast we soon lost Kone and Karnezis, Katsouranis wasnt available, Mitroglou was out of form after he was injured for long, Siovas was left out of the squad because of injury etc. etc. No, we didnt sit back against Finland in the second half, that was the problem, Finnish attacks could have been easily parried if we would have used our former tactics. In this case we would have won the match with that goal of Karelis. It was painful to watch that a lesser team Finland is now dominated us in the first ten minutes of the second half. If Santos or Rehhagel would have been in charge, I think Finland would have never equalized. Dunga wins most of the matches they play ("cf. with the "those tactics arent effective" cant), I think his tactics and overall approach are very good.

The extremely defensive style is my favorite brand of football. It is the most economical method, combined with dangerous counterattacks, because it cost less energy and yet keeps the enemy side on edge with the counterattacks.

You can criticize Rehhagel or anybody for that matter, but then you shouldnt deliberately and constantly use incorrect facts and arguments (Rehhagel & Santos didnt care about the future, we played disconnected football, we were the laughing stock of the world, old and unusable footballers always were in the starting 11, Karagounis - not even Katsouranis - is a monster and a villain, outdated match tactics vs defence for Ranieris lost games - injuries! - and the indefensible production of the team, laudations of "talents" etc. etc.) as most of you does.

Papastathopoulos was in 2008 too young and inexperienced, but Im not sure of that, because he is a very capable football player and developed quickly, perhaps he could have been included in the squad. Tavlaridis could have been even better, he played then for Saint-Etienne, was in great form, he was overlooked by Rehhagel, unfortunately.

Ninis wouldnt have been of use, he was two (or for that matter, four) years later still mediocre.

Yes, at Euro 2008 we wernt successful (although I must add the referees have stolen the goal of Charisteas against Russia - we wouldnt have been out so quickly with a draw), otherwise the team wasnt booed by "the world" as you say but by incompetent English-speaking commentators and similar "professionals". Greece was abused (f. e.) before WC 2014, they announced we are garbage & will be out after the group stage etc. etc.

[bashing of Rehhagel and Karagounis - LM]

otto would have constructed a defense to close finland, unlike ranieri? ok, otto and greece x finland in finland. 5x1. ok.

ranieri 4 matches...ok, here's otto's first 4 matches - L-D-L-L. otto also had 1 friendly before the 5x1 finland match AND 4-5 friendlies before the 2 Ls to spain and ukraine.

what is the argument?

The 2001 team when Rehhagel took over was bad. He had to build a new team around key players like Zagorakis, implement a new tactics, etc. Ranieri took over a very good team (second round in 2012 and 2014) with efficient tactics and he changed it within two or three months into a bag of s%$#!.

In November of 2012 Greece beat Ireland 1-0 in a friendly with a relatively young side, at the time i thought the future's bright most of these players play in top leagues and we were flying high in qualifying, how have we slipped so much in such a short time? bad management me thinks.

anyway this was the line up that night.

Karnezis - Torosidis Papastathopoulos Papadopoulos Stafylidis - Ninis Tachtsidis Tziolis Holebas - Samaras Mitroglou 

A very good 11, Ninis has regressed and Samaris would replace Tziolis nowadays but at the time i thought we'd be a force for years to come. 

• Like it 2

I feel compelled to do this. I love these boythes, they're Greek, and they represent our heritage in sport.

Hold on, I'm picking a side,hang on! 4 2 3 1 formation.

Vellidis, Skondras, Moras, Sokratis ©, Holebas,

Kyriakos (vc),  Pn Tachtsidis  

I feel compelled to do this. I love these boythes, they're Greek, and they represent our heritage in sport.

Hold on, I'm picking a side,hang on! 4 2 3 1 formation.

Vellidis, Skondras, Moras, Sokratis ©, Holebas,

Kyriakos (vc),  Pn Tachtsidis  

I'm picking a side,hang on! 4 1 3 2 formation - not set in stone.

Kyriakos is good enough to be a DM on his own and Klona can be a second stricker.

Vellidis

Skondras   Moras  Sokratis ©  Holebas,

Kyriakos (vc)  

Tachtsidis     

Fetfatzidis                                     Fortounis

Klonaridis     

Samaras

Edited by ausgreek

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and pinned this topic