Phantis Forums

Sergio Markarian Hired

Omonoia9

• 4 weeks later...

Kats has no place in the squad....

however at at a time of crisis and desperation we needed to try any bit of inspiration.....and anything that may stabilise a sinking ship..

did it work? No...would we have scored the winner in Budapest if Kats did not come on? who knows?

I think it's unfair to put Klaus and Lazaros in this category...Lazaros was good in the WC....And Klaus was our only option once Mitro went down....

It would have been a massive gamble to pluck aravidis in for this one..

we need to be careful and understand where the likes of Kolovos, Kaltsas, Giannotas are playing their club football..

we see snap shots of these guys against mediocre opposition...Kone and Lazaros are playing at the highest level and are in their prime age wise.

• Like it 1

I tend to agree that the bottom half of serie A is a bit bare in regards to talent..

Giannotas has only played a handful of good games...He was poor in the German second division....His better games in Europa were against Partizan....sub par opposition....Partizan play in a league that is at Platanias standard at best..

Vyntra AND Karabelas ARE GARBAGE....Kaltsas And Kolovos need to prove more at a higher caliber club...  Kaltsas is off to PAO....Kolovos may get another chance at osfp...

i don't buy all the doom & gloom, ranieri was left with chicken s%$#! to make chicken salad and some of the available chicken was rancid - players like samaras, xolebas, lazaros, kone...unfit for match #1, while the old stand-by in salpi was hideously brutal in the wrong position against romania & NI.

i still believe that lazaros & kone should have exchanged positions, and give lazaros a run of matches in the CM.

still can't understand why you continually make excuses for this clown, a disaster from start to finish, bottom line is players didn't want to play for him. would you seriously have kept him on as manager if it was your decision?? 

i felt sorry for salpi that day, every time the ball touched him it went off, not a captains performance. 

Nice to see everyone again, things were starting to get silly over on gs.

I honestly didn't mind the Markarian hiring; after the Ranieri-era I thought he'd provide the steady hand needed to possibly salvage something out of this campaign. That said, his inclusion of Kats as a sub has me a little worried; really hoping we don't go back to donkey ball with Kats-Tziolis-Maniatis ala Santos... 

in my opinion i think its the heart and passion and the effiort of the players that make the result because without that whats the point of playing got to give 100% for your country dosent matter about the coach and his tactics we got to create a lot of chances to score this is where fetfatzidis is needed he is one that can turn things around and so far every national game hes played he has not dissapointed

Back as Markarian's assistant? I think that's horrible. He was merely Otto's translator.

I can't see how having Kats in the side, Karagounis as Technical Director (selecting Vydra, Kats, Karabelas) and now a guys who's done nothing since he left with Otto in 2010 is setting us up for Euro 2016 qualification and more importantly the future!

I was never really clear on what Topalidis' exact role was; it seemed like he started out as Otto's translator but then began to have some say in player selections later? Or am I way off on this? I have a hard time seeing how the old guard (Karagounis + Topalidis with Katsouranis still in the mix) are suddenly going to save us when we've seen what they had to offer for years now...

• 2 weeks later...

I have confidence in our new National Team coach, Markarian. For the life of me though, how does he justify taking off our Best player in Fetfa, and bring on Katsouranis. The match was on the line, I actually dropped my yeeros on my skinny jeans! It is a long campaign til Russia, therefore, he will prove to be a good coach. Lets use the rest of the matches in this Euro campaign for familiarity and team chemistry, we sure need it. The pyrates need minimum of five matches together to start playing serious footy I would think, under a new system-again. 

Ella bro lets get serious for a minute, who will Socceroos face in world cup semi to get into the world cup final in Russia, will Greece finally fulfil its potential? It will be a close final against one of Germany, Argentina, Columbia, Brazil or that basket case France... Live the lie/ I mean dream!

• 5 months later...

Greece have plenty of experienced players even with the departure of all those players. Karnezis, Soktatis, Manolas, Torosidis, Holebas, Maniatis, Samaris, Tziolis, Kone, Lazaros, Ninis, Fetfatzidis & Mitroglou have all played at a FIFA World Cup & a few at two plus Euro tournaments.

I think they lacked direction, leadership & passion in this past 15 months.

• Like it 1