Phantis Forums

A New Ert To Replace Nerit

From ERT to NERIT back to a new ERT. I figured this deserved its own new thread.

The latest news is that the new SYRIZA government plans to establish yet another new broadcaster that will replace NERIT. The bill for the new national broadcaster is expected to be submitted to parliament within a month. The new broadcaster will use the ERT acronym, but will not be a continuation of the old ERT. Instead the new ERT is being preliminarily called "Ethniki Radiofonia Tileorasi" instead of the old "Elliniki Radiofonia Tileorasi". Their aim is to build a "new ERT" from scratch, that will not be controlled by the government and will be free of scandalous contracts and spending. They also plan to resume the satellite link to the Greek Diaspora as soon as possible. The fee tacked onto the electricity bills will remain, and former ERT employees will be rehired.

It remains to be seen how the old ERT union will respond when all is said and done. They had been demanding for a 100% re-establishment of the old ERT as it was before it was pulled off the air, and that is what they thought they would get with the new government as soon as it was elected. Meanwhile police have been stationed by the government at the old ERT headquarters following a demonstration by the ERT union.....

I'm not sure what the point is of creating yet another new broadcaster from scratch. It seems like a waste of public funds when they could easily just restructure NERIT and achieve their goals. In fact, aside from rehiring all former employees, this sounds like a rehash of the original NERIT idea, just with hopes of much better execution. I guess their egos won't let them work on something the previous government established and something they vilified since inception......

Instead of "wasting" money on a new ERT, maybe the government should concentrate on the debt and stop putting money into something that's only going to cause more debt and economic problems in the country and with EU & Germany? What a bunch of stupid idiots NA SU VALCA  :wacko:  :stupid:   :xxx:

I'm not sure what the point is of creating yet another new broadcaster from scratch. It seems like a waste of public funds when they could easily just restructure NERIT and achieve their goals.

I agree, why do they have to create a new broadcaster from scratch, just re-organize the existing one?!  Like you said, it sounds like an ego trip, they have to put 'their' stamp on it so they can take the credit- typical political B.S.

Did the article mention whether they plan to have 3 channels like the old ERT or 2 like NERIT?!  I think they should stay with two, one based in the north (Thessaloniki) and one based in the south (Athens), there is no need for three channels IMO.

The new broadcaster will use the ERT acronym, but will not be a continuation of the old ERT. Instead the new ERT is being preliminarily called "Ethniki Radiofonia Tileorasi" instead of the old "Elliniki Radiofonia Tileorasi".

Wow, I did not know that they would be tweaking the name when I heard ERT I assumed they would be restoring the old ERT- perhaps that is not possible since it was shut down?!  I wonder what this means as far as the historical archives of the original ERT go- will they retain this library of programming (hopefully it hasn't been destroyed by previous governments) and use it with the new channel or are they going to do like NERIT and create entirely new content?!  I like the new name, especially since it retains the 'ERT' abbreviation.

Their aim is to build a "new ERT" from scratch, that will not be controlled by the government and will be free of scandalous contracts and spending.

Good luck with that, I hope they succeed but can anything in Greece really be run free of government interference?! 

This supports what I recently read, that the new ERT will operate as a public broadcaster (operates independently, at arms length from the government) as opposed to the old ERT and NERIT which are both state broadcasters (operated directly by the government).

The fee tacked onto the electricity bills will remain, and former ERT employees will be rehired.

I don't think the residents of Greece will be happy to see this fee (essentially a TV tax) continue as I recall there was quite the uproar with most people wanting it abolished.  I think they need to find a different way to fund ERT, people are having a hard enough time as it is to pay their hydro bills, they don't need another fee tacked on, especially one that has nothing to do with electricity service.  Hopefully this is a temporary measure and someday if they ever establish a system where people pay taxes, they can allocate a portion of the taxes collected to go towards funding of ERT.

• 2 weeks later...

Did the article mention whether they plan to have 3 channels like the old ERT or 2 like NERIT?!  I think they should stay with two, one based in the north (Thessaloniki) and one based in the south (Athens), there is no need for three channels IMO.

It didn't, but there are rumors that the new government is now thinking the 2 channels + international feed is the way to go as well. We will see what comes of it, because there are also fresh rumors that the government is being pressured to live up to its election promises after the bailout extension fiasco.... The new bill is expected to be tabled next week.

I wonder what this means as far as the historical archives of the original ERT go- will they retain this library of programming (hopefully it hasn't been destroyed by previous governments) and use it with the new channel or are they going to do like NERIT and create entirely new content?!

From what I know, DT took over the historical archives and maintained them when they launched. I'm not sure if NERIT has been updating them, but they have used content from it (like all those old sports games used to fill up NERIT Sports channel) and they have a link to an on-line version on their page: http://www.hprt-archives.gr/V3/public/main/index.aspx I'm sure the new ERT will take them over as well.

I don't think the residents of Greece will be happy to see this fee (essentially a TV tax) continue as I recall there was quite the uproar with most people wanting it abolished.

The latest report is that they plan a "small increase" to the tax in order to fund the opening of the new ERT. Note that the tax was lowered under the NERIT scheme. I believe the current tax is 3 Euro a month.

• 2 months later...

The new (old) ERT will start broadcasting on May 11, 2015. The television channels will be named ERT1, ERT 2 (no longer NET), ERT3. The radio stations will be named ERA...

Many regional ERA stations will be returning on the air. Quite a few of them will just go back to their old name, since until now they have been operating under the ERTOpen umbrella. That's assuming they have not lost their equipment due to looting and vandalism. 

The full operation of the new ERT is not expected until 3 or 4 months from now.

I wonder why the rush to push up the opening date by a month? Last I had read, they were planning for a June 11th opening, 2 years to the date ERT was shut down. Beside the symbolism, the June date was supposed to be a safeguard against messing up NERIT's deals with Eurovision and Champions League.

Regarding the planned services, as I've said before, I believe three domestic channels is overkill. They could get by easily with 2 channels and an International feed. (Plus Vouli) It seemed they were leaning that way too, but have decided otherwise. I guess the government has to try to save some face on their election promises, since most of them haven't panned out thus far.

Great another public worker s%$#! hole coming back to life to give us their "objective" news and reporting..........

Isn't it funny that prior to ERT's closing, there were almost weekly programing strikes by ERT's union? Yet since the closing, they have prided themselves for reporting uninterrupted (and unpaid) since ERT's closing. One has to wonder where this sense of journalistic duty was prior to the closing? :gr:

Edited by Grk101
  • Like it 1

ERT (and YENED) was always controlled by the political party/military generals that was in power at the time, going all the way back to 1960's.

ERT should have never been closed down. it should have been streamlined and cleaned up. It could have easily operated with half the working force. The closing of ERT was a political move by Samaras dictated to him by the private broadcasting companies so they could control 100% of Digea.

• Like it 1

• 1 month later...

Here are some of the new logos. It's nice to have ERA Spor back. The big question for us outside of Greece is if and when ERT World comes back.

111ert_1_logo_f.jpg

era-sport.jpg

Edited by Blackhawk

A satellite channel has always been in every re-structuring plan for ERT, so I expect ERT World to return eventually. ERT's programing has been gutted though, and their international sports rights are long gone. So any re-incarnation of ERT World will be drastically different than the old ERT World for the time being.

NERIT is officially no more. This is the video that played as the new ERT came on air:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dYCIKyWqjU

These channel description were also posted on one of ERT's social media accounts:

ERT1: 24 hours News
ERT2: 24 hours Entertainment and Culture
BY THE END OF JUNE
ERT3: 24 hours News, Entertainment, Culture giving an emphasis on the Greek Region

If ERT World comes back what they should do is take programming from ERT 1,2 & 3 and put it on ERT World.

Is just me or does that woman sound scared of the TV Camera?

NERIT is officially no more. This is the video that played as the new ERT came on air:

Good riddance to NERIT (what a dumba$$ name :rolleyes:), welcome back ERT!! :tup: :gr:

Love the montage at the beginning with all the different logos showcasing ERT's history  I wish all them the best of luck (K

Welcome back ERT. All the whinging on here about public servants, communists, lazy workers, blah, blah blah...

I have antenna and have seen the other greek channels and the rubbish they broadcast, wanky serials and music programs. Can't watch 5 minutes of it.

At least ERT showed some decent documentaries, travel programs, historical footage from their archives, news and of course the football. 

Welcome back ERT, let's hope the World variant isn't too far away.

• Like it 2

To recap this is the new ERT:

TELEVISION:

ERT1

ERT2

ERT3 - Thessaloniki (not on the air yet)

The first two right now are also streamed on ERT's Web TV. BTW, ERT1 will have the national team game live tomorrow for people that have no access to the game otherwise.

RADIO:

Proto

Devtero

Trito

ERA Spor

Kosmos

Voice of Greece

ERT 3  - R. S. Macedonia

Reports are that a lot of the local ERT stations will return to the air as well.

Will ERT be available now on the old box?

At the moment it's not because there's no World channel yet, but I certainly hope so.

As you guys say, the picture quality of the old ERT was MUCH better than Antenna via Foxtel. 

My parents recently installed the streamed Greek channels via the internet. This is also a lot better than Antenna, and you get lots of channels, basically see all the Greek football you want. You need unlimited or high volume internet though (NBN is best). From memory Hellas TV offered a sports package (Nova, OTE, etc) for around $30 a month.  

At the moment it's not because there's no World channel yet, but I certainly hope so.

As you guys say, the picture quality of the old ERT was MUCH better than Antenna via Foxtel. 

My parents recently installed the streamed Greek channels via the internet. This is also a lot better than Antenna, and you get lots of channels, basically see all the Greek football you want. You need unlimited or high volume internet though (NBN is best). From memory Hellas TV offered a sports package (Nova, OTE, etc) for around $30 a month.  

Do you mean ellas tv

True. Malta, Cyprus and even Liechtenstein are out of our league now.....we have no chance.

All we have left is watching Oly in the CL, because all the other clubs will likely have early exits from qualifying rounds.

Jokes aside, it really is a dismal time for Greek football at the moment. But we still watch and support............