Phantis Forums

Greece-Northern Ireland(14 October 2014, Giorgos Karaiskaki, Piraeus)

Omonoia9

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I just got in to start watching the game with 10 minutes left.

It must have been a bad game to watch so far. N. Ireland are not a horrible team but in your home court how can you let this happen.

From the few minutes I've watched it appears that nobody knows their role on the team.

Good thing the next game is not for some time and that it's against Faroe Islands.

The coach needs to find an identity for this team and make them a cohesive unit. Can't Greece still use guys like Ninis or Feta? They can create some offence. Does even the new group of Greek players only know the long ball? I was looking forward to a more offensive type of team under the new coach with several passes and creativity. It hasn't happened so far.

Final 2-0 N.Ireland.

Greece gets booed off the field and they deserved it.

The Greek coach now has every reason to not call up some of the so called regulars for the next game.

Maybe even go with an all under 25 team.

Guys like Mitro should no longer be called up. The guy is 26 years old and should be in his prime but does nothing. Don't call him up again.

Greece might not make the Euros but give some young talent experience at this level for the next time. The remnants of the old guard are not doing it for the this team.

GREECE IS OFFICIALLY IN A REBUILDING STAGE.!!!

well what can i say, we're managed by a clown so results like this are to be expected, karelis and athanasiadis are not good enough and gekas is dropped for being 34 years old, stafylidis only gets a chance when vyntra goes off injured despite holebas tzavellas and karabelas all being injured, when we're behind ranieri takes off a creative player in samaras for salpi who has no business in this team. i felt sorry for papastathopoulos the only player with drive and passion he took the game by the scruff of the neck with some marauding runs forward.

Karnezis - doesn't make mistakes but doesn't seem to save anything either, maybe could of done better with lafferty's goal.

Vyntra - plays central defence for levante but ranieri played him at right back, scored an own goal and went off injured shortly after.

Manolas - having a good season with roma but he couldn't cope with lafferty.

Papastathopoulos - by far our best player, felt sorry for him, he seems to be the only one that cares.

Torosidis - started at left back and switched to his preferred right when vyntra went off.

Karelis - forward for panathinaikos (when not on the bench) ranieri played him right midfield, not good enough at this level.

Tachtsidis - some dodgy passing but at least he tested carroll with our only shot of the night.

Maniatis - still don't know why this fella gets called up, i know we got injuries but i'd rather samaris or tziolis.

Samaras - did ok considering he was asked to play on the left side of midfield.

Mitroglou - did he touch the ball??

Athanasiadis - where's gekas ?? athanasiadis can't play at this level subbed off at half time.

subs

Stafylidis - saw a lot of the ball and some decent crosses, maybe should have fouled lafferty on the goal.

Samaris - played the second half, average but still better than maniatis.

Salpindigis - dear oh dear every touch went off for a throw to northern ireland.

Guys like Mitro should no longer be called up. The guy is 26 years old and should be in his prime but does nothing. Don't call him up again.

well his goals got us to the world cup, athanasiadis will also be 26 in a couple of months and he's done nothing, never scored an international goal. meanwhile gekas is proven at this level has banged in 6 goals in 5 games in turkey(a league ranked slightly higher than ours according to UEFA coefficients) and has around 1 in 3 at international level. 

as long as claudio the clown is in charge we can forget qualification despite being in a very weak group.