Phantis Forums

World Cup: Costa Rica-Greece(Arena Pernambucano, Recife)

Omonoia9

For the first time ever, the ethniki are in the Round of 16 of a World Cup. Here they draw the surprising Group D champions, Costa Rica. Though they've beaten some serious opposition, this is a desirable draw for us, but we have to put the work in.

PAME ELLADA! PAME ETHNIKI!

:gr:

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we have a chance if Santos picks up the many hints of the Ivory Coast game:

*Katsouranis does not belong in the lineup

*Christodoulopoulos does

*Gekas should not be used even as a substitute. Should we be needing another striker late in the game, maybe Salpi would be a better choice with Fetfatzidis taking over on the right.

CR is a very good team but if we play them right we can beat them. Same style as Colombia and we could have taken them also but we played them all wrong with many wrong players. I saw the post game Santos interview yesterday, what sloppy looking, arrogant, egocentric prick! He was happier that his son was with him rather than HIS team doing the impossible, and whom he never gave credit to, for such good display. The IC coach on the other hand, a world of class. Why is it that we seek the bottom of the barrel?

Edited by gcp

Btw, it looks as if we will not have Karnezis or Kone for this game.

I think Glykos and Samaris did a good enough job replacing them and hope Santos sticks with them.

Glykos was decent, no chance on the goal. Samaris was an interesting choice to say the least, as he is a DM, replacing Kone, but it obviously worked out.

Btw, it looks as if we will not have Karnezis or Kone for this game.

I think Glykos and Samaris did a good enough job replacing them and hope Santos sticks with them.

gutted, karnezis is a big loss, i would rather kapino over glykos i'm not convinced with glykos its gonna be a nervy 90 minutes with him in our goal.

amazed at just how little respect the team gets from all the so-called experts...i somewhat  understand the rationale, but geeeez, dont wins count for anything? 

would we be underdogs against san marino as well? 

seems like every time we win, its a "shock" and "unexpected" and huge "surprise" .........  blah blah blah...

Edited by bleedblueandwhite

flattering article from Alan Tyers, The Telegraph......

acknowledgements like this are rare, but we keep winning, and advancing, in this future tournaments, the collective consciousness out there in football regarding Greek national team can change a bit...

FULL TIME GREECE 2 IVORY COAST 1 Remarkable finish. Greece might not be an attractive side but they have won me over. They just would not give it up. They defended like tigers, they were dangerous on the break and they hit the woodwork a couple of times. Their fierce shooting from distance was notably impressive. I thought when Kalou was so selfish on the break at 1-1 that the Ivorians might live to regret it, and they certainly do now.

The penalty was chilled steel, huge guts from Samaras to stick that away. The first half was a bit stop-start but you cannot fault the entertainment in the second. Another belting match. Nice moment of sportsmanship from Samaras at the end as he goes over to comfort the distraught Ivory Coast keeper Barry. bit of a Flintoff-Lee job.

comfort_2953550a.jpg

Sad for the Ivory Coast, who are out at the group stages for the third World Cup in a row. Hats off to Greece. The only mildly annoying bit of the evening is Danny Murphy saying "as an England fan, you look at Greece in the next round and you think..." Leave it, son. Leave it. Greece are through because they looked at the players available, they designed a system to maximise their resources and they had the discipline, the intelligence and balls to stick to it. Anyway, let's not spoil an enjoyable match by thinking about that shower of frauds and hasbeens. Well done Greece, they go through in second place behind Colombia, who put the Blue Samurai to the sword. Hard lines Ivory Coast. Thanks for following this one with us. Goodnight.

blue, I said they did the impossible because everyone in the international media had them written off. And even though we are not a deep team, the injuries only must have exacerbated their impression of Greece not being able to score with the subs being thrown into the game, not by choice but due to need. But it worked in reverse, they did score and could have scored 3 more goals if luck would have smiled a bit. So yes, I do believe they executed the somewhat impossible, not because they qualified but because of the style in which they did it. What counts for me most of all is the dogged determination they displayed and many cudos to them for that alone, no matter the result (they also did with 10 men against Japan so no doubt the heart is there). I love that they won and qualified but I am proud of their heart and determination to fight to the very end for the win, most of all. That's a departure from the typical Greek NT, except for that of 2004.

i get it gcp....comment was more geared towards the fact that the team gets no respect, and that everytime they advance or win, its .."greece pulls a shocker !!!!"   etc. etc....

greece's excels at soccer smarts. especially in tight games.....it is a VERY subtle , nuansical aspect of soccer....most "observers" or experts that comment on soccer dont watch any one team enough to be able to pick up on that....all they know is general, obvious things, the most obvious is "wins" , "loses"  recent articles from other so called experts and recent results ......on the surface costa rica's group - from a reputation standpoint -- was much tougher than ours, right? so naturally all the "experts" do the math and conclude costa rica is the favourite without any consideration whatsoever for styles, tactics, etc. 

maybe england is just not that good...same with italy...but their reputations are so big, it influences their judgment without consideration to what happens on the field.  THerefore, the anatomy of "Greece always pulling an upset" can be directly attributed to this........

Bottom Line: we should be favored here....CR is having one of those runs like greece in 2004...traditionally a weak soccer nation  with weaker competion (honduras, el salvador, guatemala, etc) they have gotten better, and have caught the "giants" by surprise....impressive, for sure.....but every game is different, it has its own trajectory based on the styles of play....

greece plays to their competition....they use soccer smarts and try to find openings in their opponents...thats why they rarely win 3-0, or 4-1, etc.....always, 1-0, 2-1 etc, always close...they dont just "play one way" maybe they should, but the point is their best attribute is being "wily" and "clever" ----attributes that are not apparent but to only the most astute soccer aficionado...

so as i said, i will be SHOCKED if we dont win this game...we have the experience in tight affairs, we have some confidence coming of the IC win, and if , if , if we play the same way with three attackers up front rather than one guy as the point man and 10 behind, with the SAME lineup ---- no gekas, no kats, no kone even ----- same lineup , same formation  - that's a big  "IF"  then i cant see how we lose this game.....

are we capable of a stinker? yes..but so long as we play like last game, and we dont respect CR too much, then we WILL win this game......

I like it....now let's hope it works out for us :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr:

Colombia was on fire yesterday, again, and their defense was much improved so they are for real, as much as I don't care for them!

My 2nd favorites, Brasil, did not look convincing at all. Neymar was shut down and the team didn't do much of nothing to compensate. They are very lucky to be through Chile who was one heck of a playing team.

Edited by gcp

we need to walk in with a big set of ba***, and let cr know right away they in a game with a tough, clever, determined, battle tested team....and that these are the major leagues there are in now....we have been there, they haven't...we need to cut their swagger EARLY and set the tone....its not about skill, its about who wants it more....

again, i would be shocked if we lost this game...shocked....i can see 1-0 very easily, and i can also see winning by a couple of goals as well......either this game ours to lose....

enjoy everyone !!!!!!!!!!!!

CR playing well.....for sure...but every game is different, it has its own personality based on the tactics being used by each team...we will solve CR - we are stronger, and we are playing much better with more confidence...

KEY- yellow cards.. WE MUST NOT PUT THE REFEREE INTO THE POSITION OF HAVING TO YELLOW CARD OUR GUYS,....both for this game and the next one against the dutch.....

coming onto the tournament costa rica was one of the weakest teams...and now they are favored? please....give me a break...our style is not impressive, but as a few have commented, its subtle, clever, wily soccer....we make our opponents look good because we play to their level and try to solve them....offensive soccer does not mean successful soccer, nor does defensive soccer equal weakness....in all about tactics, and for greece 1-0 is just as good as 4-0....

look anyone is capable of beating anyone on any day...that's how slim the margin is.....and we are definately capable of a stinker also.....

but, our guys rise to the challenge and should be very happy they are playing costa rica....if they play a good game, not a great game, but a good game and push forward more, well its our game...

COSTA RICA

1 Navas(GK)

3 Gonzalez

4 Umana

5 Borges

6 Duarte

7 Bolanos

9 Campbell

10 Ruiz(Captain)

15 Diaz

16 Gamboa