Phantis Forums

Greece - Ivory Coast

Irlandos

a few points: 

- we had a lot of room in midfield...i dont know if IC is just bad defensively or they did not expect us to push forward and so high.....but the key was not sitting back like they did (and always do) -- they imposed their will on the game immediately and i think IC as a bit surprised and it may have threw them off of any rhythym...give santos some credit for that (if he had anything to do with it)

- samaris goal was sheer effort....dont think kats runs for that ball...young legs...will be needed on sunday;

- i think karagouni played the best game he has played in a long, long time...

- holebas and toro, man those guys cover alot of ground..consider they are defenders and yet they are in the offensive zone every time...why cant the midfielders do that? 

CR is like a watered down version of mexico...their match results are impressive.....but it high time greece starts getting some respect....every time they advance it seems to be an "upset" or "their underdogs"......results speak for themselves and although the flight had alot of turbulence, the plane eventually landed....

CONGRATS to the boys....never gave up....same as last WC and Euro....i just wish they would make it easy - just for once....

and for the record i will be doing something on sunday i have NEVER done before in my life......bet on a sporting event......

greece to win....no way we lose this game...i dont care who the piatathes (thats dishwashers for those of you who cant speak greek) beat, its a game of styles...and if we play tough, with confidence and with the passion and tactics we had tonight,  there is absolutely no way they lose that game.....no way...

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a few points: 

- we had a lot of room in midfield...i dont know if IC is just bad defensively or they did not expect us to push forward and so high.....but the key was not sitting back like they did (and always do) -- they imposed their will on the game immediately and i think IC as a bit surprised and it may have threw them off of any rhythym...give santos some credit for that (if he had anything to do with it)

- samaris goal was sheer effort....dont think kats runs for that ball...young legs...will be needed on sunday;

- i think karagouni played the best game he has played in a long, long time...

- holebas and toro, man those guys cover alot of ground..consider they are defenders and yet they are in the offensive zone every time...why cant the midfielders do that? 

CR is like a watered down version of mexico...their match results are impressive.....but it high time greece starts getting some respect....every time they advance it seems to be an "upset" or "their underdogs"......results speak for themselves and although the flight had alot of turbulence, the plane eventually landed....

CONGRATS to the boys....never gave up....same as last WC and Euro....i just wish they would make it easy - just for once....

and for the record i will be doing something on sunday i have NEVER done before in my life......bet on a sporting event......

greece to win....no way we lose this game...i dont care who the piatathes (thats dishwashers for those of you who cant speak greek) beat, its a game of styles...and if we play tough, with confidence and with the passion and tactics we had tonight,  there is absolutely no way they lose that game.....no way...

I understand your optimism, but that kind of thinking is what got Italy and Uruguay into trouble. We have an opportunity here, we can't blow it by suddenly deciding we're a lock to win this game.

A couple of points:

*I've been saying for the past 10 years that Katsouranis does not belong on our national team: not at DM, not at CB and certainly not as a forward. I would love to see which one of Samaris, Karagounis or even Maniatis, Santos leaves out to insert Katsouranis back in the lineup! He would have to leave Greece at night if he put him back in!

*We hit the woodwork three times - not twice: Holebas, Karagounis and Torosidis. I felt bad for Kara as he deserved to score in one of the biggest games ever that he played. If Toro had made that shot, it would've been one of the goals of the tournament.

*Christodoulopoulos was a very pleasant surprise! Where was this player all along and why didn't Santos play him?

*Holebas is getting better and better. From a poor game v. Colombia, to a solid game v. Japan, to a superb display v. the Ivory Coast.

From the BBC:

Greece coach Fernando Santos: "We found balance tonight. We are not the worst team when we lose or the best when we win. To everyone in Greece I say, 'Go out into the street and celebrate.'"

I will pause on the excerpt 'or the best when we win.' Now, what kind of moronic coach puts his winning team down by saying something like that? What's wrong with saying 'we played a good game and we won.' Last evenings Greece game was the best showing in ages!!! Greece was by far the best team on the field. By all accounts.

So, look for Santos to play his friend Katsouranis in the game against Costa Rica, and Greece regressing to an eyesore once again.

Only the penalty call was marginal. But then, we hit the woodwork thrice.

@bleedblueandwhite

CR is like a watered down version of mexico..

I believe you got this one wrong. Costa Rica is a much better team than Mexico. Consistent and mature. Mexico are frivolous and unreliable. They barely made the World Cup finals. But if we do play like the game against the Ivory Coast, we might put up a real fight. Having Samaris and Christodoulopoulos play again will let them settle in and maybe play an even better game. The showing should also act as a moral booster for the other players, and having Katsouranis sit out would be a blessing for the defense, since they might be able to rely on each other for consistent playing, yet once again.

Om, i hear you...im sure the team wont take them lightly, but, lets not make them out to be Brazil/Germnay...they are to be respected, yes....but lets not play down to the level of our competition. we won because "WE TOOK THE GAME TO THE OPPOSITION"   ----- we did not sit back...thats the main reason....if we play like that, with confidence and smarts, no way we lose the game...no way. CR is a central American footballing nation -- el salvador, honduras , guatemala, canada, panama as qualifiers....congrats to them for their fne showing so far, but NO WAY we should lose this game...

the only way is if santos reverts back to the lineups of the previous games...even then we should win...but lets see what he does....

you cant give a team tooooo much respect, because then you lose before you even step onto the pitch....its about time Greece play a game they are expected ti win, and go out and do it...this is one of them.....dont be blinded by the hype...

*Holebas is getting better and better. From a poor game v. Colombia, to a solid game v. Japan, to a superb display v. the Ivory Coast.

offensively he's great but he looses the ball too often and doesn't track back meaning the central defenders have to keep coming to his rescue, you can get away with it against the likes of platanias and other average super league sides but he gets found out at this level.

mate wait for the line ups to be announced before you part with your money.

js, i hear you....lol....we should be rejoicing that we are playing CR.....they are not a strong side, at all....concaaaf is weak generally, and they are not an opponent we should respect too much because we then enable their mojo....we MUST play very tough, physical and aggressive football and let them know who is boss from the very first minute,,,

we dont generally approach games like that....but we all saw a hint of it against IC..... one simple change in approach....if u want to be considered a big team, act like one....we need to deflate them early and often....not just them either....

this "underdog" persona is getting tedious.....