Phantis Forums

Kostas Mitroglou ‒ (now playing for Aris)

js1000

The trouble is whenever Mitroglou plays for Greece he just acts like a stroppy teenager who's been asked to tidy his bedroom! 

he needs a midfielder of equal or slightly higher class than him to thrive. he gets sluggish when the midfield lags behind him. Our best hopes is that Fortounis grows at an exponential rate to meet Mitroglous current form.

Olympiakos is doing all they really can to make that happen, basically starting every game, veteran in chori, etc. hopefully the trainers / nutritional regimee is good. I suspect that's where Oly lags behind but I'm only speculating 

Torosidis on the right & Holebas on the left are both brilliant crosses of the ball & Greece need to utilize it's strengths by playing them as wing backs rather than traditional full backs. Germany played that 3-5-2 or 3-4-2-1 formation at Brazil 2014. I've been saying this for a while now.

--------------------------------Karnezis------------------------------------------

-----------Manolas---------K.Papadopoulos------Sokratis---------------

Torosidis-------------Tachtsidis-----------Samaris-------------Torosidis

-----------------Fortounis-----------------------Fetfatziidis-------------------

--------------------------------Mitroglou-----------------------------------------

This I think would give Greece better attacking options & service for Mitroglou.

Before you all start jumping up & down about putting Fetfatzidis there, it's only a example. If you want you can change it with Ninis, Kone, Samaras or Karelis. It would be whom is fit, in form or simply playing at the time.

Edited by Greekaroos
  • Like it 1

In my opinion Holebas plays as a wing back anyway. I've never seen him being lazy but occasionally gets caught out pushing forward so you might as well have that extra central defender for cover & use Greece's most dangerous attacker on left in Holebas. IMO Holebas does not look like he is slow & could play into his mid 30's at a high level just like Roberto Carlos or Cafu did a few years back.

Edited by Greekaroos

Reminder that Torosidis just turned 30 which isn't old for a right back or wing back & will be 32 in 2018. Until 2018 Torosidis & Holebas will give Mitroglou the best service from the flanks like he is at Benfica. Beyond 2018 is another story & topic. Don't get into the Greek football fan syndrome where you are a "talendo" until 28 & at 29 you are washed up, too old & finshed.

• Like it 1

Kostas Mitroglou scored the opening goal for Benfica overnight in the Portugese Primeira Liga Classico against FC Porto & could of easy had another one or two more if it had not been for man of the match Iker Casillas making save after save for FC Porto whom came from behind to win 1-2.

Mitroglou now has 13 League goals from 21 appearances so far this season & few more from the Cup & UCL matches.

• Like it 3

Maybe if they sell vardy they get to a whole new system ? like 2 strikers or a second striker with pace and mitroglou just there to score.

Right now hte fact that Mahrez and Vardy are too fast and Ngolo or something has good sight is what makes Leicester's counterattack so threatening. Mahrez will be gone in the first 10 days of summer transfer and maybe Vardy as well (or the possible buyers could wait to see him with England NT too before making a move). Ngolo gone as well I guess. Which means Leicester will start from scratch (like Oly does every 2-3 years by selling (almost) every solid player.

If they wanna repeat this year's success I bet you they will go for big money and a total change of plans.

Because , they were lucky to find Mahrez so cheap but, Doubt there is another one out there as good as him , who costs like what, 400k ?

Maybe if they sell vardy they get to a whole new system ? like 2 strikers or a second striker with pace and mitroglou just there to score.

Right now hte fact that Mahrez and Vardy are too fast and Ngolo or something has good sight is what makes Leicester's counterattack so threatening. Mahrez will be gone in the first 10 days of summer transfer and maybe Vardy as well (or the possible buyers could wait to see him with England NT too before making a move). Ngolo gone as well I guess. Which means Leicester will start from scratch (like Oly does every 2-3 years by selling (almost) every solid player.

If they wanna repeat this year's success I bet you they will go for big money and a total change of plans.

Because , they were lucky to find Mahrez so cheap but, Doubt there is another one out there as good as him , who costs like what, 400k ?

If leicester wins the league, I can see Vardy and Mahrez staying.

Mitroglou imo is one of the best strikers in the world, top 30 modestly. He's not good at counter-attacking football though, he runs like a papou.

He plays best with a really creative type, eg) Benfica Jonas & Olympiakos Dominguez.

• Argy changed the title to Kostas Mitroglou ‒ Olympique de Marseille
  • Dutch Eagle changed the title to Kostas Mitroglou ‒ (now playing for Aris)
  • Tzatziki pinned and unpinned this topic
  • Tzatziki locked this topic