Phantis Forums

Bell Fibe TV Adds 2 New Greek Channels

Well time will tell in what Bell will do. Come this Thursday, we'll sere if Stare International is added or not? My guess it will probably, along with some other ethnic services. I hope Fibe ads BPM:tv,F/X & GEO Wild as well this Thursday but I dought it.

Well time will tell in what Bell will do. Come this Thursday, we'll sere if Stare International is added or not? My guess it will probably, along with some other ethnic services. I hope Fibe ads BPM:tv,F/X & GEO Wild as well this Thursday but I dought it.

Do not be so certain, ALPHA SAT was approved in May last year, but did not appear on Bell Fibe until October. On the other hand, with SKAI and MAD WORLD adds maybe they will add any new channels faster in a race to be the number one ethnic provider in Canada.

RE SKAI/New Greek TV. If it really is New Greek TV, I wonder if that affects any possible US expansion/SKAI availability here. Does anyone know if they have an exclusive deal with Time Warner here in the states? If that is the case, I wonder if New Greek TV will expand out of the NYC area now that Comcast is buying Time Warner? However, just look how limited ANT1 SATELLITE is on the current Comcast network....

Edited by Grk101

News release regarding Skai TV on Bell Fibe,

http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1312845/ethnic-channels-group-launches-a-new-greek-channel-skai-tv-on-bell-fibe

Who exactly is Simos Hajiraptis, GM of Comart? Couldn't find any new info on Mad World.

Here is some more info on him and his company:

http://ahepahellas.org/directory/listings/simos-hajiraptis/

http://www.comart.gr/

Edited by goldeneyed

So Comart is involved with SKAI.... Comart used to control the distribution rights for ERT WORLD, with some "controversial" effects - to say the least. Let us all hope that the free SKAI web-stream does not get blocked, like the free ERT stream was under their command. :ph34r:

Well well well, how predictable. "SKAI.gr live streaming is not available in Canada and the U.S. Click here to find out how you can watch SKAI TV in your country."

It takes you to this page http://www.skai.gr/Canada-USA that lists three options to view:

1. Download an iPhone app and pay a $9.99 a month subscription

2. Subscribe to Bell Fibe TV in Canada

3. Subscribe to New Greek TV in New York

They mention that they will announce further distribution agreements soon for North America....At least they are still letting you view past programing on demand for now.

Edited by Grk101

News release regarding Skai TV on Bell Fibe,

How nice, they issue an announcement about the channel launch... 2 months after it has launched?! :rolleyes:

Well well well, how predictable. "SKAI.gr live streaming is not available in Canada and the U.S. Click here to find out how you can watch SKAI TV in your country."

Another one bites the dust, oh well it was bound to happen sooner or later- I am surprised that they kept a free stream going for this long, the mighty $$ always wins out in the end.  No big loss IMO as this was a direct stream from Greece, with the 7hr time difference you couldn't really watch anything.  Great to see that Skai has created a page on their website for this channel, hopefully they put up a schedule at some point as Ethnic Channels is useless when it comes to such things.

On a related note, anyone know where to find a schedule for Alpha Sat, Alpha doesn't even mention Alpha Sat on their website let alone have a schedule on there for it.

I guess you are right, especially since SKAI is a private broadcaster - unlike ERT World's situation under Comart. As for a schedule for SKAI, if it is the New Greek TV version in Canada as well, they have their schedule up here: http://www.newgreektv.com/index.php/tv-guide

I am surprised it is just listed as SKAI on Bell Fibe without any distinction of it being an international version, like the other Greek channels do for their international services.

For Alpha Sat's schedule, try this: http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/tvlistings/ZCSGrid.do?sgt=grid&stnNum=56072&channel=9831

If the link does not work, just go to http://tvlistings.zap2it.com. Put in any US zip code, select DISH NETWORK as the provider, then find ALPHA SAT in the channel list.

Edited by Grk101

While looking at the NGTV schedule, I noticed that there is a local New York show called NGTV news at 6:30pm on weekdays. Not sure how many more local NYC/non SKAI shows they have on their schedule. I lose track of who here on these forums is subscribed to Skai TV on Bell Fibe TV but If someone can check to see what is being shown at 6:30pm on weekdays, then we'll have a better idea if Bell Fibe TV is using the NGTV feed.

http://www.newgreektv.com/index.php/tv-guide

Edited by goldeneyed

For Alpha Sat's schedule, try this: http://tvlistings.za...72&channel=9831

Thanks for the link, it works.  Can someone who subscribes to this channel confirm that this is the correct schedule?!

I was thinking about emailing Alpha to inquire about why they don't have any info about Alpha Sat on their website but I noticed they don't have an email address for general inquiries?!  Also, I recall that at one point there was an email address for Alpha Sat listed on their contact page but its gone?!  I think I will just send my email to every address listed on their website and see what happens?! :D I think they should at the very least do what MEGA does and first of all acknowledge that this international service exists and secondly post a schedule for it, I don't think its that hard to update a schedule once a week.

Like I stated before I checked the schedule and from what I can tell its the same as NGTV.

NGTV airs several original programs aimed at Greek-Americans, see here: http://www.newgreektv.com/index.php/tv-shows

The schedule cannot be the same, Skai TV is not listed on the approved list which means its operating as a Canadian service and as such is required to air some Canadian content.  Something seems fishy here, looks like they are trying to flaunt the rules and not air any local programming?!

There's lot of things that don't add up...Skai TV on Bell FIbe has a similar schedule as NGTV, but obviously not the exact same one, since it airs different shows when local NYC shows air on NGTV. Despite that, someone here mentionned that it is filled with commercials advertising local New York businesses. So it looks like it's a Canadian bastardized version of NGTV, but without Canadian content or commercials. And if this is indeed true, there is still no info in the CRTC website regarding this channel. 

All of these Greek channels operations are in shambles. Most of the time, even if you email them with questions regarding these issues or programming schedules, they just ignore your email and don't respond.

Edited by goldeneyed

So it looks like it's a Canadian bastardized version of NGTV, but without Canadian content or commercials. And if this is indeed true, there is still no info in the CRTC website regarding this channel.

The CRTC takes forever to update their website, so forget about finding any information from them.  ECG has a license for a Greek chanel which they could use to launch Skai.  However, Skai & MAD World have most likely been launched as exempt services IMO.  This is a new category that the CRTC introduced recently where you don't have to go through the long process of acquiring a license, you just launch the channel as soon as you have secured carriage with a TV provider.  They have list of such channels on their website (http://crtc.gc.ca/eng/BCASTING/catb_e3l.htm) but thus far Skai & MAD World are not on the list.  Considering that ECG just issued a press release announcing the launch of this channel a couple of days ago, I think it will be a while yet before we find out whether these channels are licensed or exempt services.

All of these Greek channels operations are in shambles. Most of the time, even if you email them with questions regarding these issues or programming schedules, they just ignore your email and don't respond.

I find that most of these broadcasters (not just in Greece), tend to be run by arrogant pricks who only care about taking your money.  They don't care at all about subscribers, I have contacted many over the years with questions about programming and most tend to be rude and only reply to emails after I have sent them 2 or 3.  I tend to be a persistent individual and keep at it until they reply to my email- I am a paying customer and its part of their job to provider customer service to those that keep them in business by subscribing to their channels.  Having said that, I recently emailed MEGA about the MEGA Cosmos distributor info listed on their site being incorrect and surprisingly even though they didn't reply back to me they did update the info, see here: http://www.megatv.com/summary.asp?catid=17829

Haha, I was annoyed also at that Mega Cosmos page that listed the wrong North American distributors. Glad you made them fix it. I don't understand why they don't bother to update it themselves. It's to their own benefit if they do so because that way if the proper contact is listed, at least it increases their chances of getting new customers.

I dunno I've had decent experiences in the past with local American network affiliates closest to Montreal. I used to email them quite often in the past with comments and questions, and they would reply back in a timely and helpful fashion. I'm glad you're not giving up though on these Greek networks.

I'd say you're probably right, these 2 new channels from ECG are likely Category B exempt services. 

• 6 months later...

It appears either SKAI feed has changed. When Skai first launched on Bell Fibe it had the SKAI logo, now it appears NGTV has either covered up the SKAI logo or Bell is getting their feed directly from NGTV?

Also OTN has dropped their logo off the Greek Cinema logo. When Greek Cinema launch they showed their logo. Then some months later OTN started putting their logo over the Greek Cinema logo, now they drop it.

I'm not sure what's going on,

Still no sign of 4E TV,RIK SAT or Star International and it been almost 6 months since they where approved by the CRTC.Not sure if Bell will carry them or even if Soundview Entertainment & Ethnic Channel Group will launch them?

So how much does a package cost with all those channels from Bell.  It just seems like you get a ton more with those "streaming services" for a lower price and better picture quality.  Seems like the Greek Channel Providers have played games with us in the US for the past 15 years and at this point I don't care.  I got Dishnetwork in 1998 and then a couple years later I had to buy another Dish to get Mega and Ert.  Then I had Alpha, Mega, Antenna, Alter and who knows what else and then poof Mega, Alter, and Star went to Directv.  Then they left Directv and went to something called Home2US.  These people are a big joke.  Screw them at this point.  I never got directv or home2us but them jumping around left a bad taste in my mouth. 

Well I can't comment on the "streaming" part of your question, as for Bell  & Rogers this is the break down

Bell Sat

Greek Combo

OTN(which basically is ANT1 with some Canadian contain thrown in)  + Greek Cinema(can't get it alone) + CHTO(Greek Radio Station from Toronto. I'm not sure if your in Montreal if they sub the Greek Radio station from Montreal or not, but in Ottawa we get it from Toronto) is $10

Add

Mega Cosmo for $7.50(can't get it alone)

Alpha $5(can't get it alone)

So for about $24 for 3 channels.

Bell Fibe

Greek Combo(same as Bell Sat)

Mega Cosmo(same as Bell Sat)

Alpha(same as Bell Sat)

SKAI $5(can't get it alone)

Mad World $5(can't get it alone)

So if you get them all its about $35 or so for 7 channels on Bell Fibe.

Rogers(and they really screw you here if your with Rogers)

OTN $15.02

Mega $15.02(can't get it alone)

Alpha ^$5(can't get it alone)

So for about $25 for 3 channels.

Bell Fibe has the better deal for Greek Channels.

In any case regardless of your provider TV or IPTV(not internet stream but TV)you have to take OTN before you can add any of the others.

At present from the ones approved for Canada RIK,Star & 4E are missing, but I'm assuming at some point these will be added and probably on Bell Fibe as they seem to carry almost ever ethnic channel that has launched except  perhaps for a couple. I'm guess these will probally be $5 each or if Bell makes a new Greek Combo selection.

As for the ones on Dish we're still missing the Radio stations ones and that new sports channel one.I'm not sure if these will ever show up here or not, maybe the sports one, but who knows for certain.

Ive got Dish myself but don't sub to the Greek Channels, but have the largest package Dish offers "The Everything Package" with a few additional channels, like the French Package. 

Edited by MCIBUS

MCIBUS,

Alpha Sat is not avaialble on Bell satellite, only Fibe.  I had it out with Bell recently about this, why they refuse to add this and continue to offer 'ERT World' which doesn't exist and currently airs programming from Greek Cinema which doesn't interest me.  They just fed me a bunch of BS about how OTN supposedly is currently trying to negotiate the rights to NERIT and that if they are successful they will add this channel- Hello?, NERIT hasn't fully launched in Greece, they are light years away from launching an international channel.  :rolleyes:  They also told me about some new phantom channel that is coming soon that is supposedly more popular than Alpha Sat?! :huh: Instead of taking responsibility they are passing the buck on to the broadcaster, they are the ones that determine what channels they carry on their service, if they want to drop a channel or in this case replace an exsting channel with another one they are well in their right to do so.  Both cable providers that carried ERT World, dropped it shortly after ERT was shut down in Greece and replaced it with Alpha Sat, Bell kept the defunct channel for some inexplicable reason?!

Gyros,

If you want the full picture of how things are in Canada, check out my page here on the forum: http://forums.phantis.com/topic/11367-greek-tv-in-canada/.  Basically, Odyssey (which airs programming from ANT1 Satellite) is must-carry which means all providers have to carry it.  This is due to some stupid CRTC regulation whereby the very first multicutural channels that launched in Canada (4 of them- Greek, Chinese, South Asian & Italian/Spanish) get preferential treatment and all TV providers are forced to carry them and those that are interested in channels catering to these ethnicities are forced to subscribe to them.  For example, in order to subscribe to any Greek channel, you must subscribe to Odyssey no matter what, you can't just subscribe to MEGA Cosmos or Alpha Sat if you wanted to.  Corruption at its finest, its alive and well everywhere it seems not just in Greece.

My mistake,your right, wasn't thinking straight.

I wonder what this "phantom" channel if it exists? Could it be Star?RIK? or 4E? I highly dought these are more popular then Alpha? I laugh if ended up being Sports Plus!!!  :lol:   :)

We'll see on the 18th of Sept as thats the 3rd Thursday of the month and thats when Bell usally adds channels. I know at leastr a new African channel will launch by the Ethnic Channel Group, which I do believe they have the rights for Star International I think.

Edited by MCIBUS

• 3 weeks later...

They also told me about some new phantom channel that is coming soon that is supposedly more popular than Alpha Sat?! :huh:

That is interesting! If we go off of average ratings, the top 3 channels in Greece are MEGA, ANT1, and ALPHA. So what could they be talking about? Maybe they are trying to pick up Sport Plus?

• 3 months later...

Skai TV and MAD World are no longer available. 

Ethnic Channels Group has replaced Skai with New Greek TV (according to MCIBUS, this is technically what this channel was anyway not the real Skai from Greece) and MAD World has been replaced with some channel called 'Greek Music Channel'.  I think GMC is an in-house channel created by Ethnic Channels, I presume they are getting the content from MAD?!  Music TV doesn't work, there were two such channels in the USA and both eventually shut down, I think ECG should just forget the music channel as I doubt they will get very many subscribers.

NGTV is aimed at Greek-Americans, not sure how many will subscribe to this?!  It has programming from Skai and Epsilon TV but both of those are niche channels that don't really have any popular programming so this channel might not last very long in Canada IMO.

Although I don't sub to these channels anymore according to the IPG the still say SKAI & Mad World.

Now when I had them NGTV had SKAI as the TV logo, yet 99% of commercials where from New York City. The thing was if you looked at NGTV schedule it matched the channel on Fibe called SKAI, though most of the programming came from SKAI there was no way it was the SKAI channel from Greece. There's basically a 7 hour time difference between here and there so there's no way programming could be live.

Accept with the "New Greek Combo $20(now compared to old Greek Combo-$10(those that had it are grandfathered in)

old Combo-$10 No longrer available for new subs

OTN

CHTO

CHIR

ERT(Greek Cinema)

New Combo-$20

OTN 

CHIR

SKAI(NGTV)

RKI

Star

So now if you want to sub to the Greek Combo your "FORCED" to take SKAI,RKI & Star.These only apply for Bell Fibe TV, not sure on BELL TV?

It should be noted that OTN got approval for Sports Plus but there calling it OTN Plus in November so I'm expecting it to show up eith this month or next on Bell fibe.

Edited by MCIBUS

NGTV is aimed at Greek-Americans, not sure how many will subscribe to this?!  It has programming from Skai and Epsilon TV but both of those are niche channels that don't really have any popular programming so this channel might not last very long in Canada IMO.

NGTV also has STAR Channel content, and taking a look at their site it seems they acquired content from ACTION 24 and Vouli as well.... Quite the mix, SKAI, EPSILON, STAR, ACTION 24, Vouli. But what is the point of Bell Fibe offering STAR if NGTV already offers their popular content? Sure they don't offer their whole programing, but I'm not really sure that is necessary for STAR right now.

As for appealing to Greek-Americans, it seems most of their in-house shows are gone and they are focusing on this Greek acquired content. Maybe 1 in-house show every few days. Looking at their on-line schedule for example, I only see two in-house productions for the week. Some doctor show "To Vima tou Ippokrati (Live)" tonight, and then some "Hanac Help Line" aimed at Greek-American seniors. Aside from those and the NYC based commercials, I don't think that is too bad for Greek-Canadians. On a side note, I actually think a channel like this would do very well on DISH Network getting the most popular content from these smaller channels. A mix of news, entertainment, cooking, cinema, sports, church, etc.

• Lazarus changed the title to Bell Fibe TV Adds 2 New Greek Channels