Phantis Forums

Bell Fibe TV Adds 2 New Greek Channels

Wait, what?!

They are airing programming from 4E on Skai?!  If it has commercials from Canada & the USA then that means someone has created an international feed for this channel?!  I wonder if they have partnered up with Dish Network as Dish carries several channels from ECG?!  On the other hand, 4E is distributed by Titan in the US, this is getting weirder and weirder?!

I tried to get an answer but these guys just ignored my emails so I gave up.  Is it possible for you to send me the schedule for Skai, the Bell website only has online TV listings for Satelite not Fibe TV and Zap2it has no listings for most of the ethnic channels so its useless.

I'll try. I know I can access my on-line TV Guide from Bell for Fibe. I'll see what I can do, and PM you for a e-mail address. I'll probably print the schedule and then scan the the prints and e-mail them to you.

Just went to my On-line TV Guide. I'm not sure if there a problem or Bell hasn't added them yet but both Mad World & Skai are not showing up in the guide. Grant you I haven't sub to them ywet free preview is still on. But not sure whats going on 

Mega,Alpha,ERT World,ANT1,CHTO are there but not the other two? So I guess I can't send you the schedule because its not showing up.

All I can say is what ever Skai version this is its showing shows from Skai Greece, just not in the excat time as the one in Greece(same time or time difference) and I think the only show I've seen from 4E is the church show on Sundays. I know ERT World use to show a church on Sundays.

Edited by MCIBUS

what exactly are they promoting- they only offer 1 Greek channel, which is quite pathetic IMO?!  They should add MEGA Cosmos (at the very least) and perhaps Alpha Sat as well and then start promoting their 'new' Greek package. ;)

I thought it was strange too. Here is an example scan from their advert in a magazine: http://tinypic.com/r/25aj5er/5

I wonder if it is Verizon FiOS or ANT1 Satellite footing the bill for these adverts.

Just went to my On-line TV Guide. I'm not sure if there a problem or Bell hasn't added them yet but both Mad World & Skai are not showing up in the guide.

They probably haven't added the schedules yet, they are slow to update their website.  Don't worry about it, I have a feeling that this channel might launch in the US soon, I might be able to get a schedule from there?!

Could there be any tie with New Greek TV (NGTV)? I noticed their programing now appears to be predominantly SKAI programing, and on their advertise page it specifically mentions SKAI and MAD by name:

"New Greek TV offers an array of programming from Greece and original programming that includes:

*Greek Programming from Greece from the most contemporary Channel SKAI and MAD TV that includes: live news, talk shows, entertainment, sports, music and movies."

http://www.newgreektv.com/index.php/advertise
http://www.newgreektv.com/index.php/tv-guide

Edited by Grk101

The ties appear to be with Greek TV. According to the schedule(Greek TV) I saw for Sunday it matches with the Bell Fibe IPG Guide. I'm guessing this station is out of New York City?

I've E-Maileed Greek TV to inquire if they have anything to do with Skai & Mad World in Canada and on Bell Fibe TV?

Edited by MCIBUS

The ties appear to be with Greek TV. According to the schedule(Greek TV) I saw for Sunday it matches with the Bell Fibe IPG Guide. I'm guessing

this station is out of New York City?

Interesting, does that mean they are simulcasting New Greek TV if the schedule is the same?!  NGTV is a local Greek channel in NYC, they air several original programs in addition to the content from Greece- I wonder if those are showing up on 'Skai TV' here in Canada as well?!  If they are then you know that ECG is simply taking the feed from NY and airing it here which means the channel we are receiving here is NGTV not Skai from Greece.

On another note, Soundivew has now applied to add 4E & RIK Sat to the approved list- these are the last two channels from Titan Television that are not yet available here.  I wonder what the plan is here, is Bell Fibe going to carry all of these or are they hoping that they will?!

I haven't checked the entire schedule, but it appears Sundays is the same. Whether it ECG or some other source its probably not a direct feed. After all there is a 7 hour time difference. NGTV still hasn't e-mail me back, so can't confirm 100% if them or not.

As for the other new Greek channels I'm 95% certain they'll get approved by the CRTC as it seems ever since the RAI incident the CRTC seems to allow any ethnic service(multiculturalism I guess). In any case I'm almost certain Bell Fibe will pick them up. As to what cost? Packaging? I'm not certain but as it appears  most are add ons for $5 I'm guessing this will be the same.

It appears that Bell Fibe is going after the ethnic market aggressively. They carry more ethnic channels then any provider in Canada more then even Rogers & Videotron. As Bell is mainly in Ontario & Quebec and has one of the largest ethnic groups serving the GTA, Ottawa & Montreal areas and it appears that Rogers & Videotron are not as aggressively as Bell is. Remember you have to sub to the basic package before you can sub to any ethnic service. 

As well their pricing for Ethnic channels appears to cheaper then either Rogers or Videtron.

So assuming the CRTC approves the channels before them and Bell Fibe adds them(I dought Sounview,ECG or OTN will apply to bring in those 2 or 3 Greek Radio Stations)Bell Will have:

Assuming these are the prices and no "special deals"

CHANNEL--------------------Package----------Price

OTN(Ant1/Sat)-------------Greek Combo-----$10

NERT(when it comes back)Greek Combo-$10                     

CHTO-------------------------Greek Combo-----$10

Add on's

Mega Cosmos--------------------------------------$7.50

Alpha Sat---------------------------------------------$5

SKAI----------------------------------------------------$5

Star International----------------------------------$5

4E-------------------------------------------------------$5

RIK Sat------------------------------------------------$5

Mad World-------------------------------------------$5

Greek Cinema--------------------------------------$5(I'm assuming)

Total of 11 channels for $52.50 before taxes(that's assuming they don't give you a better deal for gettig them all?) A bit expensive?

Edited by MCIBUS

Well after trying for 60 mins to find the info I came up with this:

CRTC web site is almost impossible to find info on.  :xxx: 

OTN has licences for:

Alpha Sat(OTN3)

ANT1/Sat(OTN1)

ERT(NERT)(OTN2)

MEGA COSMOS

Greek Cinema

Soundview applying licences  for:

Star International

RIK Sat

4E TV

Ethnic Channel Group has licences for:

(according to their web site)

Skai

Mad World

although I can't find it anywhere on the CRTC web site.

Still no repply from New Greek TV?

Further Info

Star International Soundview CRTC Deadline DEC 13 2013. So it maybe in 1-4 months before we find out when a hearing is, then a 1-4 months latter a decision.

4E TV CRTC Deadline Feb 21 2014.1-4 months for hearing, 1-4months decesion.

RIK SAT CRTC Dealine.1-4 months for hearing,1-4 months for decesion.

So by the end of 2014 we should know if Star International,RIK SAT & 4E TV will be available via TV.

The reason I think Soundview,OTN & ECG have gone after broadcasting licences for

Alpha Sat

RIK SAT

SKAI

4E TV

Greek Cinema

Mad World

is even though these are available via the internet(a company), I think, the majority of those that watch these channels are from a generation that are more "Old School"(TV watching) rather then "New School" (Internet watching) generation. I could be mistaken, but that's just my take on it.

Edited by MCIBUS

Your right my mistake. got confused

I know cOTN1 ias ATN1/Sat

OTN2 is either Mega Cosmos or ERT World

OTN3 is either Mega Cosmos or ERT World.

With so many Greek channels suddenly on Bell Fibe or maybe coming to Bell Fiibe its hard to keep track of who owns what.

When OTN first started I never thought there be so many Grek channels coming to Canada little alone on TV?

The funny part was back some years aqo  there was actually 3 different individuals that had applied for Greek licences:

The guy that owns OTN

had 3

OTN1 OTN 2 OTN 3

Some woman had 3

Hellenic TV 1 Hellenic TV 2 Hellenic TV 3

Some other guy had 3

Greek TV 1 Greek TV 2 Greek TV 3

for what ever reason the other two never launched their licences.

In any case it'll be interesting to see what happens by this tiome next year. If all will be available or not? 10 Greek Channels. I'm surprised Dish or TITAN hasn't launched trhese channels in the states where there are way more Greeks then in Canada?   

Where did you find info saying Alpha Sat was bring shown on OTN3? I thought that was Mega Cosmos, and Alpha Sat was broadcast as a foreign channel.

That is correct, OTN3 is MEGA Cosmos not Alpha Sat.  The only 'licensed' channels are Odyssey (ANT1) and MEGA Cosmos (OTN3), OTN2 which used to be ERT World but currently airs programming from Greek Cinema is no longer licensed, it is operating as a license-excempt Canadian service.

The following channels are all available in Canada as foreign services which means they are exactly the same as the channel that is distributed in the USA, Australia and wherever else they are available:

Alpha Sat

Greek Cinema

Star International

4E

RIK Sat

Skai & MAD World are most likely exempt channels like OTN2, although Ethnic Channels still has one license for a Greek channel so its possible that Skai may have been launched via that license?!  The license they launched MEGA Cosmos with was returned to the CRTC.

Hopefully that clears things up for you MCIBUS, not sure what you want the radio stations for however?!  You can very easliy listen to those stations through the internet, how many are going to listen to radio through their television?!  I still maintain that there are too many channels, although Bell Fibe seems intent on carrying like 10 channels for each ethnic group for some reason?!  I would pick 2 or 3 of the most popular channels and carry those, they are starting to carry too many niche channels (music, movie, religion, lifestyle, sports) like Dishnet.  They probably carry close to 50 channels from India- does anyone subscribe to let alone watch that many channels?!

I'm surprised Dish or TITAN hasn't launched trhese channels in the states where there are way more Greeks then in Canada? 

They have launched them via their IPTV service (Ellas TV).  Dishnet carries MEGA Cosmos & Alpha Sat, the others (4E, Star, PIK Sat) it appears are not popular enough to attract subscribers or enough subscribers to make it worthwhile to carry them?!

You never can have too much of something.

More means more choice and variety.

As for the radio stations, true I can get them on my Dish Network, but why bother. There mainly sports. Was just point out that those are the last ones available "conventionally" on TV vs internet that most can  get with out going via the net. But some do like them. just look at the Galaxie/Sirus/XFM/Radio Stations/Dish Network Music channels on Dish/BTV/ Shaw Direct/Rogers & so on?

Like I said I dought Soundview,ECG or OTN will try and bring them here.

But Bell Fibe seems intent on going after the Ethnic market(to compete with Rogers/Eastlink & Videotron mainly and other cable operators)  by providing anything and everything available that's geared towards the ethnic market(excluding the ethnic Galaxie music channels). I'm not sure if there missing any channels or not?(not including HD version of SD ones)

Edited by MCIBUS

It actually makes more sense now to have all these channels available in Canada before the USA because of Bell Fibe TV. They are able to add as many channels as they want, unlike Cable and Satellite services which are limited due to bandwidth availability. Plus Fibe TV is available in the two biggest Greek markets of Canada. Even when comparing to all of North America, after New York, Toronto and Montreal have the most people born in Greece, even more than Chicago and Boston. 

But I agree, the more channels the better. I'm pretty sure FIbe will start carrying Star, RIK Sat and 4E TV once they get approved. They would need to have some sort of discounted package for all the channels though, because I don't see many people adding these channels at 5$ apiece when there are better channels available.

I'm curious why OTN is still operating Mega Cosmos OTN3 as a Canadian service. I'm assuming it would just be easier to ask for Mega Cosmos to be approved on the foreign channels list and use that feed instead of their own. Since OTN1 ANT1 is a Category A channel, it would make sense to keep operating that one as such since all the carriers have to carry the channel. 

But I agree, the more channels the better.

To each his own I guess, I am more interested in quality over quantity.  The point I was trying to make was do they make money by carry all these channels, Fibe TV now has over 200 ethnic channels and counting.

But Bell Fibe seems intent on going after the Ethnic market(to compete with Rogers/Eastlink & Videotron

Rogers would be the main competitor as they carry the most channels after Bell Fibe but Fibe TV has now left Rogers in the dust.  Due to the bandwidth constraints of cable, there is no way Rogers can compete with Fibe TV, even if they wanted to- Fibe is beating them on price as well as number of channels.  I think Rogers is going to lose a lot of ethnic customers due to Fibe TV's more attractive offering (lower prices, more channels).  Videotron, on the other hand, is not doing anything as far as the ethnic market goes- they haven't added any new multicultural channels in years.  I can't believe they don't carry MEGA Cosmos, they dropped OTN2 and added Alpha Sat but didn't add MEGA?!

'm curious why OTN is still operating Mega Cosmos OTN3 as a Canadian service. I'm assuming it would just be easier to ask for Mega Cosmos to be approved on the foreign channels

That is a question to ask Titan Television who own the distribution rights to MEGA Cosmos not OTN.  I don't understand why they decided to launch MEGA Cosmos via OTN, when all their other channels are available here as foreign services?!  People want the direct feed not a Canadian clone that has to air local programming due to CRTC regulations which means that some programming from MEGA Cosmos is cut out to make room for the Cancon.

Hopefully when the new ERT international service launches it will be brought in as a foreign service, of course that will depend on who gets the distribution rights?!

Ahh, it was only a matter of time until Titan tried to launch the rest of their channels in Canada too. I can maybe see Star International being picked up by providers, but I can't see the rest going beyond Bell Fibe (if they are even picked up). They are far too niche of channels for the cable and satellite companies. Interesting times for Greek TV in Canada!

Hopefully when the new ERT international service launches it will be brought in as a foreign service, of course that will depend on who gets the distribution rights?!

That is a big question. One would think there would be a tender out for the distribution rights already. But at the same time, how can there be for a channel that is not yet launched? Something tells me that there will be the typical drama surrounding the distribution rights...  It will be interesting to see what Mr. Kedikoglou will have to say about it all, now that he is the government spokesperson. He was one of the biggest critics of the past tender processes when he was an opposing MP.

Edited by Grk101

• 2 weeks later...

Well the free preview ended on Friday. Now if you wqant Skai or Mad World it'll cost you $5/each.

This is only a guess, but since Bell Fibe seems to add channels(usually)on the 3rd Thursday of each month I'm guessing Star International most likely will show up this Thursday Feb 27 and be on fre preview for a month or so and more likely cost $5 as well.

As for Skai itself I've checked Greek TV schedule and its the same as SKAI's, so Skai TV is actually Greek TV, hence the New York commercials.

So I was think what the cost? If Bell adds(assuming), NERT(returns) Star International is added, RIK SAT & 4E TV(get a approved by the CRTC and added by Bell Fibe) the costr factor wil be interesting?

Now depending on how Bell Fibe wish to package these chgannels may vary on cost. 

If you look at other ethnic services on Bell Fibe they either have many channels of the same language grouped in one package with others in the same language as add on or in two or more packages with several channels grouped together IE Chinese,Portuguese, and a few others.

I'm not sure how or if Bell will change or the way they package the Greek Channels. But assuming they're going the same route they are now, it'll lok something like this.

Note When NERT returns(according to a "source" NERT will be retrurn to the Greek Package and Greek Cinema will be on its own.

So assuming these are the prices:

Greek Cinema $10

OTN 1(Ant 1/Sat)

NERT(assuming it returns)

CHTO 1690(not sure if the Greek Radio station in Montreal replaces CHTO  in Quebec or not)

Add on's $7.50

Mega Cosmos

Add on's $5/each

Alpha Sat

Star International

RIK Sat

4E TV

Greek Cinema

Mad World

So if you where to get them all it would cost $47.50 + tax=$50+

My thought is Bell will repackage the Greek Channels and make two packages with add on's. My guess it may look something like this:

Greek Package 1 $10

OTN

NERT

Mega Cosmos

4E TV

CHTO 1690

Greek Package 2 $10

OTN

Alpha Sat

RIK Sat

Star International

CHTO 1690

Add On's $5/each

Greek Cinema

Mad World

Total cost $30+ tax

Whether Bell Fibe does that I don't know, but if the cost is to high subs won't sub.

Remember you still need to sub to a basic package $40(Good) + anything else on top of that?

• Like it 1

From what I can tell from Bell's IPG, the schedule is the same as Greek TV's schedule. As for Mad World that I don't know.

The issue whether Skai is from Greece or from the US, its from the US. The one thing some are forgetting is there is a time difference of 7 hours between here Greece even more if your on the west coast.

My thought is  these channels are all out of the US (except OTN).

I could find any info on the CRTC web site either? I do know Star International has been approved, and most likely you'll probally see it on Bell Fibe this Thursday as Bell Fibe seems to launch new channels on the 3rd Thursday of each month.

I'm only guess but I think Titan/OTN/Soundview has struck a deal with Bell to carry all these channels. 

I'm not sure if you live in Canada goldeneyed or not, but Bell Fibe is in mainly Ontario & Quebec with Toronto(GTA),Montreal & Ottawa having the largest Greek Decendents living in Canada..

I can't see Rogers adding these or Videotron. Bandwidth issues.

If RIK SAT & 4E TV are approved by the CRTC(most likely in late March or early April)more then likely you'll see them show up in late May.

My thought is Bell will repackage the Greek Channels and make two packages with add on's.

Based on their current pricing/packaging structure, I think if they add Star, RIK Sat & 4E they will be sold as add-ons just like Alpha Sat, Skai & MAD World currently are.  If you look at all the other multicultural channels they offer, they are all sold in the same manner (i.e. a base package consisting of a few popular channels, all other channels are then offered as an add-ons).  Look at the South Asian channels, they have one package of 4 channels and all the rest (30-40 other channels) are sold as add-ons- there are no other packages offered.

If I were in charge, I would package them as follows:

Greek Basic

OTN (ANT1 Satellite)

MEGA Cosmos

Alpha Sat

ERT

Greek Premium

Greek Basic + Skai TV, Star International, MAD World, Greek Cinema & 4E

PIK Sat- $5/mo al a carte

If RIK SAT & 4E TV are approved by the CRTC(most likely in late March or early April)more then likely you'll see them show up in late May.

Both of these channels will be approved, I don't see any reason not to approve them.  From what I have seen the process takes about 2 months, which means these channels will most likely be approved by the end of March or early April.

• Lazarus changed the title to Bell Fibe TV Adds 2 New Greek Channels