Phantis Forums

Ioannis Fetfatzidis ‒ (Now Playing for Aris)

js1000

I've watched a handful of Saudi games. It seems to me that the level of defending is indeed below say the Greek Super League. Like Greece there is a huge drop in quality from the top 2-4 clubs to the rest so he faces a lot of very weak teams. There is a risk that his levels could drop by playing there, but one might say the same about someone like Fortounis in Greece - sure the SL is better, but how much does facing the likes of Veria and Panthrakikos do for developing his ability and skill?

No one would ever say that Greece is even close to a top league, but even Greece is light years ahead from the gulf teams, Astera would win the Asian Champions league more times than Real Madrid won the proper one in no time.

• 2 months later...

Fetfa has never been put in an ideal situation succeed in the NT. His spot was never secure and he knew that one misplay, one bad half, could mean being subbed/benched/not called up. That`s a terrible feeling and will never get the best out of a player, let alone a young, undersized one that has to fight for every inch. All this despite moments of brilliance and the dynamism he would add to the generally stagnant flow of the NT. On the other hand, managers would stubbornly stick with players like Salpingidis, who, yes, had some great games for the NT, but was predictable and out of sync in too many others. 

If Fetfa was given the confidence to play his game, without the fear of being easily benched, he could have done great things for the national team and have been in a better a better situation club-wise as well. 

Waste of offensive flair and talent on a NT that has so little. 

Edited by Argy
  • Like it 1

It is clear that Fetfa has the skill to be on the National team, but I see his stats say 0 goals 0 assists in 7 appearances in a very average league this year and he never contributed enough goals and assists to warrant a higher status on any club that he was on.  Flashy dribbles and passes are great but if they don't go in the back of the net they are useless.  Fortounis has shown to be a much more effective attacking player than Fetfa has ever been and it shows in the stats. Also we do not really know what happens behind closed doors with any of these players but attitude and personality might have something to do with players that make the NT and others who don't.  Salpi was a professional through and through and of course it helped his NT selection to be like that because the coach was able to trust him in all situations and he knew that he would still be bringing something to the team even if he was off offensively.

And for everyone that is saying that he looks like Messi. Messi is what he is because he produces goals and assists.

Edited by Triffili04
  • Like it 1

I agree Fetfatzidis has not dissapointed. He was always a class above everyone in the attacking third. His speed and dribbling make him as a player. He and Ninis provide so much flair something Fortounis and Mantalos are not at the same level at. 

• Like it 1

If his wikipage is accurate (3 goals in 23 games) Skibbe is right to leave him out. If he can't even put up some good numbers in the Saudi League what could he possibly offer to the Ethniki? Let's be honest guys, he is just not good enough perhaps. I know he is not a striker, but it's the Saudi League! The teams he plays every week there could not beat Aris (no disrespect to Aris). 

• Like it 1

I think the stats are a bit deceiving and it's actually 3 goals in 25 appearances for the NT excluding U21. Most as a substitute. He simply hasn't started enough matches and the ones where he starts, he gets taken off. He has only started in 5 internationals since 2012 excluding U21 and he's been subbed off in all of them.

In his career, excluding U21, Fetfatzidis has started in 10 (subbed out in 8 of them) and come on as sub in another 15 games and has had a total of 1004 mins or a goal every 334 mins. So he has only ever played 2 full 90 min games for the NT. If you compare with Salpingidis who had 12 goals, had started in 59 and subbed in another 22 games and had a total 4940 mins or a goal every 411 mins it's actually better.

Source: http://au.soccerway.com/players/ioannis-fetfatzidis/103765/

Edited by kbxk508

10 hours ago, Reaper said:

Those are actually incredible numbers by Greek NT standards. Check this out..

Lazaros 28 Games - 1 goal

Kone 28 Games - 2 goals

Fetfa 23 Games - 3 goals

Want something even more mind blowing? Check this out.

Maniatis & Tziolis combined - 106 games played - 2 goals scored (1 each). Yet they shoot constantly.. why can't a coach tell them to stop and just pass?

Fotakis - 13 games played - 2 goals scored.

A goal scored in serie a or even the savoura league is worth much more than a goal in the camel league, let's not kid ourselves file.

On 02/11/2016 at 8:00 AM, Reaper said:

Those are actually incredible numbers by Greek NT standards. Check this out..

Lazaros 28 Games - 1 goal

Kone 28 Games - 2 goals

Fetfa 23 Games - 3 goals

Want something even more mind blowing? Check this out.

Maniatis & Tziolis combined - 106 games played - 2 goals scored (1 each). Yet they shoot constantly.. why can't a coach tell them to stop and just pass?

Fotakis - 13 games played - 2 goals scored.

Guys, goalscoring statistics in football are not always to be taken at face value. Out of those 23 caps, how many were starts? How many were even more than 25 minutes? Fetfa got those minutes with a manager who had little faith in him and his playing style. Fetfa got 23 caps at a very young age. I would say 3/4 of his caps were late game subs. I remember one cap specifically was at the 90th minute. 

The minutes garnered by Lazaros, Kone, Maniatis and Tziolis are more often than not starting XI minutes.

Fetfa`s goalscoring record is actually quite impressive, considering (1) he is not an all-out striker, (2) he was very inexperienced, (3) his manager had little faith in him, (4) he was playing in a defense first scheme, (5) he had little to work with in terms of quality attacking teamates, (6) he had low quality minutes.  

On 2/11/2016 at 0:33 AM, georgelaz said:

fetfa G. dis the few times he's played for the ethniki he's never dissapointed to my recollection.

People cry about no creative play and "bad football" and scoring from questionable chances.
Asking for a nothing more but a creative machine in the field, and suddently everyone is saying he is not good enough.

Stop Bashing Bakasetas then. This is what you deserve.
Fetfatzidis Fortounis Gianniotasand Tachtsidis vision.

This hsould be the NT of 2016. Sadly. It ain't.

Karnezis

Torosidis Sokratis Manolas Stafylidis(Holebas u gonn be missed senpai)

Tachtsidis Maniatis (yes m*therf*ckers he does something noone else can so he is needed)
Fetfatzidis Fortounis Gianniotas

Mitroglou

any other player starting instead is inferior. Mantalos deserves a starting spot but really the boy is no winger so he is an exception. Kyriakos Papadopoulos exception as well.

Edited by Rockafeller Skank

• 1 month later...

beat me to it! fetfatzidis with an assist against a full strength Barcelona. anyone who doubted me that he should still start and that his league is irrelevant can now bow down as if I am allah (semi-kidding)

our weakness is the wings. holebas LW. Fetfa RW. Problem instantly dissolves and we have nifty wing play. Fortounis in the centre. Mitroglou striker. Tachtsi and Samaris deep CMs. Our obviously stacked defense. And we have an omadara pedia.

http://www.fullmatchesandshows.com/2016/12/13/al-ahli-vs-barcelona-highlights-full-match/

over here in toronto giovinco is a star for toronto fc and i think is getting some national team love despite playing in a weaker league. sometimes playing in a weaker league is very good psychologically. you get used to winning so much that when you play a big team, you'll put that extra hustle to level the score cause you're so used to winning that you GO for it. whereas if psychologically you think you're the weaker team, losing by a small margin is 'respectable'

Edited by georgelaz

Enough is enough. We are so limited in our offensive talent pool and yet we purposely ignore our most skilled, elusive player. He is the only player available for Greece right now whose first instinct is to take on defenders with the ability to back, thus adding a dimension that is currently non-existent in our game.

This is getting ridiculous. To not even have him as an option on the bench is downright irresponsible. Skibbe, get your s%$#! together. 

Edited by Argy

15 hours ago, georgelaz said:

beat me to it! fetfatzidis with an assist against a full strength Barcelona. anyone who doubted me that he should still start and that his league is irrelevant can now bow down as if I am allah (semi-kidding)

• Like it 1

• Lazarus changed the title to Ioannis Fetfatzidis ‒ Al-Khor SC, Qatar
  • Dutch Eagle changed the title to Ioannis Fetfatzidis ‒ (Now Playing for Aris)
  • Argy locked this topic
  • Lazarus unlocked this topic