Phantis Forums

Ioannis Fetfatzidis ‒ (Now Playing for Aris)

js1000

That's it. In a league of his own over there. More freedom to play the way he likes and get paid dong what he loves. None of this sitting on the bench m*****es at Genoa

Correct, and he also won the league and cup in his first season there.

I honestly think we should start him. The saudi league is about equal to MLS right now in terms of competition and quality.

he'd also be extremely fresh

Him and Holebas on the wings? that would be glorious.

Karelis  Mitroglou

Holebas Fortounis   Fetfatzidis

Tachtsidis  Samaris

Sokratis  Kpaps Manolas

Karnezis

We'd be an offensive powerhouse and that'd be the most entertaining greek football we'd ever see

Edited by georgelaz

I don't think so. I don't think Torosidis and Holebas provide THAT much on defense to warrant being 'eaten alive'.

Samaris can easily be a makeshift CB to patch up space.

Edited by georgelaz

I still cant believe he is playing in Saudi League. One of the most dynamic offensive Greek player ever, what a waste of talent.

You mean OVERHYPED, what has he done in his career? Your post is a spit in the face to players like Chatzipanagi, Mavro, Domazo,  Tsiarta, Kara.piali, Giannakopoulos, Alexandri, Nikolaidi, Karagouni, Saravako, Machlas etc etc

Edited by Tzatziki
  • Like it 2

I'd like to believe that he's not completely finished as a player. There is talent and skill there and is still only 26. He may never reach the heights that so many of us had hoped for but that doesn't mean that he'll never get back into the NT-fold either. Obviously in order for that to happen he needs to be playing at a higher level than the Saudi league; we'll just have to see if he has the desire and will to fight for it.. 

• Like it 1

Our ranking is 52, behind Panama, Scotland, South Korea, Iran and Albania. Players like Fetfatzides are rare talent, who on their day can win a match or turn a match. As long as he's fit, at 26 he should at least be a squad player for the NT.

Never really got a chance under Santos. He can control a ball, pass it, dribble, run with it and shoot it, better than most in the squad. He's also got smarts on the field as that video shows. Not good to be dismissing talented players given our current ranking.  

• Like it 2

And that is the whole truth. ^^

It has nothing to do with leagues, motivations or personalities.

Simply - is he more effective than what we currently have - because last time checked - the Greek NT is not overflowing with players who can control a football in less than 3 seconds. 

It's just  the truth according to people that believe in his ability.  Some believe in him as a player and others don't.  I personally don't.

The only consistent thing about him (and he's 25 years of age now) is that he's not consistent.  So why would you use a player that you know doesn't perform consistently ?  I can't understand this reasoning.  For me, the absolute only time I'd even consider him is against weak opposition where you're chasing a goal with say 20 minutes to go.

This "but he can do wonders sometimes", I just don't buy it.  It's not good enough to sometimes play well 1 in 4 games.

Again, I am not sure you are watching the games? Fetfa has been far more consistent with his performances for the NT than Lazaros, Kone, Mitroglou, Samaris etc. I have watched every game Fetfa has played for the NT -or  nearly every game. He has a bad game in every 6. You can't say that for the others who are bad most games.

Again, what it comes down to is very simple - is the NT full of players that play better than Fetfa in international games? It isn't. So should a player performing very badly be given more time for the NT because he plays in Italy and not the desert? IMO no he shouldn't. We have a serious serious issue with players who can't pass and can't control the ball. Most our attacks end in a floated ball that flies out of play. 

I don't want to get into a long back and forth ala the Samaras thread (that one will go down in history), but you need to ask yourself, if Fetfa is playing 5 good games in 6, why isn't he being selected ?  It could be that what some perceive as a good game, is different to others.  Could it be that every single manager he's had (except for this Saudi team) has been wrong about him ?  Is Fetfa so misunderstood as a player ?

No question Fetfa deserves to be in the squad, regardless of whether he is playing in the desert or not. Reaper is right. The guy brings a dimension to the team that none of our further more "physical" (not technical), "experienced" (old) players do.

Edited by Nikod
  • Like it 1

I can see your point Reaper but does there come a time when a player's ability, skill, and fitness wane because he has been playing at a low level for an extended period of time?

I don't follow the Saudi league but I will hazard a guess that the level of defending is probably below that of most European leagues (anyone who actually watches those games please feel free to chime in). As such, would Fetfa be as effective playing against international-level players?

• Lazarus changed the title to Ioannis Fetfatzidis ‒ Al-Khor SC, Qatar
  • Dutch Eagle changed the title to Ioannis Fetfatzidis ‒ (Now Playing for Aris)
  • Argy locked this topic
  • Lazarus unlocked this topic