Phantis Forums

Xanthi - Linfield

Irlandos

Xanthi will enter the 2nd qualifying round of the Europa League against Linfield of Belfast, N. Ireland.

The first leg will be played in Greece on 18 July 2013 and the return match in Belfast on 25 July.

And to think it could have been Panathinaikos coming to N. Ireland! :(

For all the reading of Greek sports media I've done, still I can't figure out the specific reasons why PAS or PAO aren't playing in Europe. 

I wish all the success for Xanthi, but they're not the stronger than PAO. It matters, because Greece earns points by how well its teams do in Euro play. More teams the earned points are divided. So, in essense, it's better to have only 1 strong team that participates and advances than 6 who participate but don't advance.

For all the reading of Greek sports media I've done, still I can't figure out the specific reasons why PAS or PAO aren't playing in Europe. 

I wish all the success for Xanthi, but they're not the stronger than PAO. It matters, because Greece earns points by how well its teams do in Euro play. More teams the earned points are divided. So, in essense, it's better to have only 1 strong team that participates and advances than 6 who participate but don't advance.

It was UEFA that rejected PAS Giannena and Panathinaikos because of their finances.

Anyway, Linfield upset Xanthi 1-0 at Pente Pigadia yesterday.

The second leg will be held 24/7/13 at Windsor Park, Belfast.

Had it wrong: it was 25/7/13 - today.

Xanthi landed in Belfast and are preparing for tonight's game. We just had a bad storm here but, hopefully, Windsor Park will be ready for the game due to kick off in 2 hours.

The price of the ticket is only

Archived