Phantis Forums

Paok-Pao

athinaios

PAO is coming off 3 game winning streak but after a bad performance against a weak opponent. Both teams need this game, though PAO needs it more.

I wouldn't be surprised if this ended in a tie. But, I'm hoping the greens surprise us. They have to pick up their game if they expect to challenge for the top spot in the playoffs and then on to Euro play.

will be a very tough match here...dont want to sound negative, but with pas beating aris today it will be a tough road for us..we have had a good run with "derbies" this year but paok have been really solid at home and i am sad to say i would be pleased with a draw. hopefully we rise to the occasion bc this is critical for making the playoffs.  

pas have ofi away, aek, kerkyra at home and paok away. 

we play platania and panionio at home before traveling to karaiskaki and end at home to veria.  

generally speaking, a sad state really...

o-o half time.

Habib Sow was ejected (red), so PAO is down to 10... not good.  They haven't had a decent chance in the whole half.

We can't hold the center. Katsijama can't do it. Sisoko tries too much, often selfishly.

HALFTIME 0-0

deyteri kitrini sto sow k paizei me 10 apo to 36o lepto o pao.  lots of soft fouls given to paok.  sow first card was abit ridiculous, poor tackle but you rarely see yellow cards in the first minute of the match unless its a REALLY bad tackle.  second yellow started from a questionable Lino handball and the paok player came into the tackle the same as sow, obviously no card given to him.  late tackle on figueroa outside the box,  no yellow or even foul...

overall,  we have been very bad, too many simple mistakes. kaziyama needs to come out... i knew fabri would play super defensive in the first half which is obviously how he focused the team.  now we will have trouble getting forward.  we tend to play better in the 2nd half but with a man down, we have a mountain to climb.  as  i said before,  a draw will unfortunately be a great result for us....

1-0 by a lucky deflection, but it was inevitable..

PAO don't believe they can do anything other than defending and hope for a tie. But, even defending they're doing it wrong as they can't keep the ball by passing it. The last offensive effort, by Mavrias was a 40-yard shot 40 wide.

It's over.

we went down a man,and the game was over.  like all the other "big" matches, fabris tactic has been to play conservatively in the first half, this cost us this time because after the red card, his plans got thrown and he didnt have a contingency plan.   sissoko did not have the support he usually has with yiourka so he was not effective on the wing, running alone with the ball at his feet and losing it.  fabri could have taken kajiyama out (who was absolutely abysmal), put in lagos or fourlano and push zeca back into a kofti role.  sissoko could have moved to a more central role, with mavrias ahead of him trying to find space on either wing to catch paok on a counter.    instead,  fabri basically probably told the players,  "pack in our half and try to do what you can going forward"   that seems so bc thats exactly how we played.  with no organization, no plan, no patience, no mind whatsoever.  

from the moment a team goes a man down, away in an edra like toumpa, unless the manager has a damn good plan and the players execute it, the match is over.  

right before sow got the red  i remember thinking to myself,  if we hold the X into halftime, we may very well win the match in the second half.  despite playing very poorly in the first half, fabris mission was obvious.  it has been the same for all the "big" matches.  sit back the first half and try to weather the storm, then open up our shape in the 2nd to create more space and organization going forward. i dont agree with it, but thats his sxedio....

very poor match leading us to an awful position for the last 4 matches.   props to paok who appear to be building a quality side.  shame about what happend with donis after the match.  he is a great professional and a manager i would love to see where he belong (with us!)

the refs were also very very poor today, i am glad savvidis made the statement he did after the match.  hopefully he can be a good influence on the league.

Good points. Though a good team can hold for a tie even with 10 men, especially against a team like PAOK (and the other Greek teams), provided they have a plan, and can manage a game better.

Yeah, I can see Donis coming to PAO if the team doesn't make the playoffs and don't go to Europe.

Archived