Phantis Forums

Ellas Tv Or ?

Hi everyone.

I'm a Greek living in Kelowna BC Canada. I found this forum from searching for Greek TV options for my parents. Ellas TV looks interesting. What are people's experience with it? Does it work fine with a decent broadband connection? Are there other recommendations anyone may have (besides the usual offerings by Rogers/shaw, telus/bell)?

Thank you!

Welcome to the forums! :)

There is a huge thread on here about Ellas TV (http://forums.phantis.com/topic/13485-ellas-tv/), people's reactions to this service are mixed.  The legality of the service has also been discussed and debated on here but that is neither here nor there.

As for other options, the only other Greek IPTV service is Wherever TV, howevery unlike Ellas TV they only carry a few channels- MEGA Cosmos, ERT World, Star International, PIK Sat & Skai TV. (https://wherever.tv/partners/greece/index.jsf)

The traditional sources for subscription TV in Canada suck, you are forced into subscribing to a very expensive basic package before you can subscribe to anything else. Also the Greek channels are quite pricey, except for Bell who for some reason offers them quite cheap but I suspect in order to get them at that price you have to sign up for a long term contract?!

A quick report on Ellas TV from metro Boston.

First off, it's the gynaika of the house that really wants Greek television. I know it's treasonous here, but I'm not much of a soccer fan. After Dish, then Directv, then Home2US went away, I tried Ellas TV, the full channel package. The first try did not go well. I thought I had a speedy connection with Verizon, but apparently not enough. It would not connect. I had to go with Verizon's ultra fast option and I finally had a chance to register the box. Lo and behold, it worked...... .for a while. Then the inevitable freeze ups and lock ups. Then there was a firmware update back in December and things seem to have smoothed out. Picture quality is typical IPTV though. Don't expect HD. Sound is pretty good, but those old greek movies sound terrible.

Their system appears to be Nova TV from Greece, slingboxed to the US somehow and re-transmitted. The wifey likes it. I think it is overpriced myself, but if you want sports, there's plenty. In season there's even out of area baseball and basketball games from the US, most with Greek play by play. For some reason, there are three TV stations from Ireland on their system plus Euronews, in English from Paris, a channel I really like. There are also video on demand selections, including some terrific Greek music concerts.

They constantly promise an ipad app, which I am still waiting for. There is no program guide. Overall grade, fair to good.

I would definitely recommend Ellas TV. I have had the full package for a month now and no complaints at all. It includes all Greek national channels and their delayed program as well.  Therefore if you miss something you can watch it on the delayed respective channel.  

It also includes 4 Nova Sports channels, and 2 OTE Sports channels. I heard they are working on adding one more OTE Sports channel as well.  Therefore if you are a sports die hard fan i am sure you are going to be satisfied with Ellas TV.

The other thing I do like and actually my kids love is the Video On Demand feature.  There are so many shows (Greek movies, Greek kids shows, concerts, sports events, Greek shows, etc.) for no additional cost. 

They may want to add more Greek channels and remove the Irish ones because I doubt anyone watches the Irish channels.  There are so many channels that broadcast live on the internet and couple of them like Action 24 (action24.gr), and Euronews in Greek are worth adding them to the list of channels.  

On the ERT/Kontominas thread you said the EllasTV service was legit and here you say it's illegal. What's the truth? :huh: :unsure:

Ellas TV is legit as a company and they were legit to distribute ERT world (at least, up to a point in time).

But distributing NOVA or MEGA or ANT1 or (their European feeds) in the US is definitely illegal.

Ok my love affair is over. It always seem to buffer a lot and ote sport 1 and 2 hasn't worked in the 10 days that I've had it. I was watching mad tv this morning and it kept on buffering and showing the same shakira video for almost an hour. The mytv program seems to be better quality at half the price

Did myTV application offer you 2 HD NovaSports channels, plus 3 OTE Sports channels? Also did myTV offer you video on demand with all different topics and themes? Instead of saying we are lucky enough to have a .platform. that .offers. 7 Sports. Channels. here. We are starting the gkrinia. Come on guys. I am. Not is perfect but don't tell me myTV application is better. It's way cheaper. for. Sure. But not Better

Did myTV application offer you 2 HD NovaSports channels, plus 3 OTE Sports channels? Also did myTV offer you video on demand with all different topics and themes? Instead of saying we are lucky enough to have a .platform. that .offers. 7 Sports. Channels. here. We are starting the gkrinia. Come on guys. I am. Not is perfect but don't tell me myTV application is better. It's way cheaper. for. Sure. But not Better

You know... just because it says on the screen "HD" it doesn't mean it's HD. It might be and surely is in Greece through NOVA but not what you see with the EllasTV box here in the states.

Are you also sure that you see something on the screen when you watch OTE Sports channels? :) :) :)

You got me there addynia. :)

The two Ote sports have not been working for two or three weeks now but I think they are going to get them fixed soon because of the Hellenic cup games. Also ote sports 3 is getting tested and this is where my assumption is coming from. It may not be a true HD but when I change the settings to 1080 the picture quality is much better than the rest of the channels.

At least they are trying to offer something that others cannot offer at least for the moment.

Edited by trikalinos1

The difference is Mytv works. If the Ellas tv works the way it should it is a far superior service

MyTV doesn't always work.  I had MyTV for two years and i did like the recorded features where you can pull shows previously aired but you could only get 10 channels for the price of $20.  With Ellas TV you can get 40 plus channels for $60 including free video on demand, plus radio, plus apps.  They still need to add a lot more  such as adding more applications, giving the ability to record shows, fix the buffering issues we experience here and there and add more local greek channels.

Like you said if and when it works then it should be a superior service but i will give them credit for trying and offering something different from the others.