Phantis Forums

MEGA Cosmos in North America

This was a good move by GMC getting Mega Cosmos back on Dish Network.

Everyone in the US subscribes to on of the  Greek packages on Dish. With satellite  people have more choices American HD programing, local channels , PVR,  extra  receivers.

With IPTV you do not have the choices that you have with satellite. People that subscribe to one of the Greek packages on Dish and have EllasTv for Mega most of them or all will cancel.

DKSat

I couldn't agree with you more DKSat, but what I think happend or didn't in this case was the fact that EllasTV being the only MEGA COSMOS provider did not produce the expected results as far as attracting subscribers, much the same as it did work out when the channel moved to DirecTV and later on Home2US.

I live in an area with 80 Greek families. Most of those families have been suscribed to DISH NETWORK and never swiched or added DIRECTV, except of course for myself. People can live without MEGA COSMOS, I was without it for the last couple of months and eventually realized that I wasn't missing it.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was a good move by GMC getting Mega Cosmos back on Dish Network.

Everyone in the US subscribes to on of the  Greek packages on Dish. With satellite  people have more choices American HD programing, local channels , PVR,  extra  receivers.

With IPTV you do not have the choices that you have with satellite. People that subscribe to one of the Greek packages on Dish and have EllasTv for Mega most of them or all will cancel.

DKSat

I couldn't agree with you more DKSat, but what I think happend or didn't in this case was the fact that EllasTV being the only MEGA COSMOS provider did not produce the expected results as far as attracting subscribers, much the same as it did work out when the channel moved to DirecTV and later on Home2US.

I live in an area with 80 Greek families. Most of those families have been suscribed to DISH NETWORK and never swiched or added DIRECTV, except of course for myself. People can live without MEGA COSMOS, I was without it for the last couple of months and eventually realized that I wasn't missing it.

Mega Cosmos had a chance on Directv. When it didn't materialize, they didn't want to admit their mistake and rather than get their pride hurt by returning to Dish, they go to a platform that most people never heard of and also try their luck with an IPTV, a technology that still needs much improving.

On a different note, I know we won't see Greek TV HD anytime soon, but does anyone see if providers can change SD here from 480i to 576i like in Europe? ANT1, ERT, & Alpha have figured a way to compress their signal so that alot of the stuff is shown in 16:9 aspect ratio on Dish.

^^^ I knew a good number of families that had the Greek channels on DirecTV. When they moved to Home2US, not so many followed. I think one reason was the high start-up costs. Even with the free receiver offer in the beginning, most people did not know how to realign their dish themselves and did not want to pay for an installer to come out. Also any "all new" customers had to pay for an installer no matter what. After Home2US closed, anyway you put it IPTV is still a new technology that many people are not ready to adopt or are not familiar with. There is a market for it as it appeals to some, but not nearly as big of a market as satellite at the current time in my opinion. Maybe that will change in the future.

Edited by Grk101

So they're putting it on channel 9839, right after supersport fm? It's weird to not group it with the other tv channels. I guess 9828 must be taken. It would have been perfect next to ANT1 (9829). They could have put it on 9833, right after Greek Cinema and moved each radio channel by one. Oh well I guess we shouldn't be picky as long as we're getting Mega back. Maybe they'll switch it around at a later date. :tup:

December 5th is the launch date I believe. That is Wednesday week.

DISH Network Greek TV We are working for a December 5th date. Might be sooner :). Will keep everyone posted

November 21 at 11:53am

Above is what Dish Network posted in response to my question of a launch date via the Dish Network Greek TV page on Facebook.

Did a little bit of googling and found out there is currently no channel that's occupying 9828. So I don't see why they couldn't put Mega on that channel instead of putting it on 9839 right after the radio stations. It makes no sense not to group it with the other 4 TV channels.

Maybe they are just using 9839 during testing? Or maybe someone doesn't want Mega Cosmos before their flagship Ant1 Satellite. :LOL: In all seriousness we should know more info in a few days when Dish decides to release more information. It doesn't make much sense to stick with 9839 like you said, and have Mega Cosmos after all the radio stations.

Or maybe someone doesn't want Mega Cosmos before their flagship Ant1 Satellite. hysterical.gif

I was thinking the same thing, ANT1 probably doesn't want MEGA anywhere near it so they stuck it at the end of the line, after all the radio stations. :LOL: I think that should tell you how this channel will be packaged- only available in the most expensive package is my guess.

It makes sense of what both of you said, Grk101 and HellasHab. If you recall back in 2006, Mega was on 602, ERT on 603, and ANT1 on 605. Maybe ANT1 didn't like it when it was 3rd in line, being that they were on Dish long before ERT and Mega.

What they should do is to shift the radio channels one up giving MEGA the 9833 slot.

That way I can have my two favorite channels next to each other. :)

I had suggested that too in a earlier post a few days ago. But like Grk101 said maybe they're just testing on that channel or what I think might happen is they might reshuffle everything a few months down the road. :)

Dish just updated their website. Mega is included in the Greek Elite package with the new price of $29.99. Remember 3 weeks ago I said that the price of the package would increase by $5. They knew Mega was coming back before they made the announcement on Facebook in mid-November. There was no way the price increase was because of Greek Cinema.

Mega is also available a-la-carte for $19.99. Why more? ANT1 & ERT are $14.99 each a-la-carte. ANT1 has always been $14.99 since they debuted on C-band back in 1993.

3 cheers for them for keeping the price the same for almost 20 years. Mega $19.99? Mega kleftes if you asked me.

Smart thing for everyone--get the Greek Elite package.

Great news that it will be in the Greek Elite package with no further increase! They have a pretty solid package now, especially since the launch of Greek Cinema IMO. I am surprised though that they got to be offered a-la-carte as well, and for $19.99 at that. I guess Mega wasn't the only desperate one, Dish must have really wanted them back. I am just glad IPTV is not the only option anymore.

We have come full circle guys. I am glad the waiting is over and happy for both MEGA COSMOS and Greek Cinema as well as for the price for the whole package.

Nice to see the TV Guide for MEGA COSMOS as well. Home2US and EllasTV never even bothered with that.

Time to get rid of all those receivers I accumulated and paid for in the last year and a half.

Edited by addynia

Let's hope this soap opera, "Mega Cosmos Musical Platform Chairs", has ended its run. They screwed the omogenia big time. Glad I didn't follow them on Home2US. I knew it wasn't worth it. But forgive and forget I say. Mega, just don't do us like that again and get someone else to distribute your channel. GMG/Titan, Inc., whatever name they're going by, don't know squat.

• Blackhawk changed the title to MEGA Cosmos in North America