Phantis Forums

MEGA Cosmos in North America

Hi all,

It appears as though we here in Canada have lost a channel- I noticed recently that MEGA Cosmos is no longer listed on the Ethnic Channels Group website?! I would like to know if any of my fellow Canucks out there can confirm for me whether this channel is still broadcasting? I have checked the website of the providers who offer the channel as well as the Mega website and there is no change as they still list the channel and Mega still lists ECG as the official distributor for Canada- I suspect however that the sites have not been updated recently?!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mega Cosmos is not gone.......

I have Expressvu Satellite here in Toronto. You would have to get the Digital Standard Basic to get all 3 Greek channels.

It is available at a great price if you subscribe to the Greek Combo (ANT1 & ERT SAT). Hell of a lot cheaper than the cable

provider. They also do not charge / receiver here like Directv and Dishnetwork in the USA.

Edited by mytelenos

Thanks for the info mytelenos.

Ethnic Channels Group has lost the rights to MEGA Cosmos so if the channel is still broadcasting, it means that Bell & Rogers have some sort of agreement in place with Greek Media Group to keep the channel on the air temporarily until a more permanent solution is found.

I suspect that GMG will apply to get MEGA Cosmos added to the approved list and bring it in as a foreign service. The other option is to sign a deal with OTN and have them launch a CDN version of the channel although I think that is doubtful considering that history between the two companies. It appears as though we will FINALLY have a Greek channel here in Canada direct from Greece instead of through a Canadian broadcaster!

• 1 month later...

It appears as though OTN has secured the rights to MEGA Cosmos, I saw an ad on Odyssey last night touting how they now distribute 3 channels in Canada- ANT1 Satellite, ERT World & MEGA Cosmos. This explains why MEGA never ceased broadcasting even after ECG lost the rights to the channel. I hope this acquisition will spur OTN to do something about their crappy website- that is one woefully pathetic site, a high school student could do a better job. It's clear that these people don't care at all about having any sort of online presence so why bother putting up a website in the first place- that site is an embarrassment and makes the company look bad, I guess they don't care about that?! ;)

I wonder if the pricing will change as ERT World is only a $5 add-on to Odyssey?! ECG charged a full $15 for MEGA Cosmos when they distributed the channel, no discount given at all. I guess it all depends on how much OTN paid for the rights, hopefuly it will be $10 add-on. Unfortunately even with OTN distributing the channel, it will not be available a la carte due to stupid CRTC regulations. :angry:

• 3 months later...

Maybe this is the reason the Greek Elite package is being increased from $24.99 to $29.99 around December 6. If DKSat says it's true, then I truly believe it. Will Star follow? RIK Sat is still available online for free.

Edited by gang3171

Yeah I wonder if that price increase was related or if Dish plans to raise the price again? I also wonder how GMG came to their senses and finally got Mega Cosmos back on Dish, considering they were heavily pushing Ellas TV to customers after Home2US closed. (What happens to those customers by the way?) Perhaps an intervention from Greece for once?? This is great news though.

By the way it will be ironic if Mega Cosmos is added to Dish on December 1st....six years exactly to the day it left. :LOL:

GMC all ready have 2 channels on Dish Network ERT World and Alpha Sat.

DKSat

I always thought Alpha distributed their channel on their own. At least someone mentioned they did on this forum. I could be wrong.
Alpha TV is owned by Dimitris Kontominas, and earlier this year one of his companies won the worldwide distribution rights to ERT World. I am guessing that he also has some type of tie or deal with GMG for DKSat to say that. I could be wrong though.

Finally.  Mega is finally coming to their senses.

They have no choice, all their other ventures (DirecTV, Home2US) have failed miserably- if they want to continue operating their international service in the US then they have to be on Dish, simple as that. It will be interesting to see how this channel will be offered- only in a package or will it be available a la carte as well?! I am guessing it will probably be in the most expensive package only, MEGA is in a position of weakness here so I don't see them making demands with Dish on how the channel will be sold?!

I wonder what this means for the Ellas TV service, will people who signed up so they can watch MEGA, now cancel and go back to Dish?!

Will Star follow?

I see no need for Dish to add Star, that channel is waste of bandwidth IMO. They have a very good package right now with ANT1, ERT & Alpha, the addition of MEGA will make it even better. Star does not really add any value, so I don't see why they would bother adding it?! Having said that however, Dish does carry a lot of niche channels amongst the international channels they offer, so you never know, they just might add it at some point?!

This was a good move by GMC getting Mega Cosmos back on Dish Network.

Everyone in the US subscribes to on of the Greek packages on Dish. With satellite people have more choices American HD programing, local channels , PVR, extra receivers.

With IPTV you do not have the choices that you have with satellite. People that subscribe to one of the Greek packages on Dish and have EllasTv for Mega most of them or all will cancel.

DKSat

Edited by DKSat

This was a good move by GMC getting Mega Cosmos back on Dish Network.

Everyone in the US subscribes to on of the Greek packages on Dish. With satellite people have more choices American HD programing, local channels , PVR, extra receivers.

With IPTV you do not have the choices that you have with satellite. People that subscribe to one of the Greek packages on Dish and have EllasTv for Mega most of them or all will cancel.

DKSat

DKSat, do you have any info on a launch date of Mega's return on Dish?

Someone asked when it will launch, and they responded:

"we are working for a December 5th date. Might be sooner :). Will keep everyone posted"

So it looks like Mega Cosmos will relaunch on Dish Network within 2 weeks. No information yet about package pricing.

Here's a link from Facebook's Dish Network Greek TV page. I wasn't able to paste the image on the forum here. But if you click on this link, you will like it very much. :tup:

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1...826117199_n.jpg

Let me help you out there :D :D

Posted Image

Edited by Grk101

"we are working for a December 5th date. Might be sooner :). Will keep everyone posted"

So it looks like Mega Cosmos will relaunch on Dish Network within 2 weeks. No information yet about package pricing.

And if you recall from the letter I received, the Greek Elite pkg price would increase from $24.99 to $29.99 on or around December 6th "to provide you with the best content available and to cover increased costs...".

Coincidence? I think not.

Just found out that someone was me. I had asked the question of a launch date and I was checking the Dish Network Greek TV page on Facebook this morning and noticed that the answer they gave me was exactly the same as you posted on your reply, Grk101. :D

• Blackhawk changed the title to MEGA Cosmos in North America