Phantis Forums

ANT1 Prime now Greek Cinema Channel

Just channel surfing and noticed ANT1 Prime is now Greek Cinema. The change must have happened this afternoon because earlier in the day it was still ANT1 Prime and was playing a Proino Kafe rerun. Currently it's showing a Ρενα Βλαχοπουλου movie. DKSat, did you know this was coming?

Interesting move! I had suggested a while back when Alter was having problems that they should just turn Alter Globe into a Greek movie channel. There is definitely a niche for a channel like this in my opinion, especially one with older films.

I see ANT1 Prime was removed from the channel listing on Dish's site, but they have not added any new channel to the list yet.

Edited by Grk101

How many times is this channel going to be re-branded?! First we had ANT1 Gold then ANT1 Prime and now Greek Cinema. We also had Blue, a music channel which did not succeed and was shut down. I suspect that ANT1 Prime had very low viewership which is not surprising since they have probably aired every single serial ANT1 has ever made 100 times- how many times can you watch the same thing?! ;)

Now their latest venture is a Greek movie channel which sounds great in theory but might not be so great in practice. This channel better have a huge inventory of films, otherwise it will fail IMO, just like the other channels before it. ANT1 Satellite has been airing the same 5-10 movies over and over again since they first started airing films- GET SOME MORE MOVIES!! ANT1 Satellite has been around a long time so this channel must be quite successful- where is all the subscription revenue going, back in their pockets?! How about re-investing some of that back into the channel and improving the programming?!

I wonder if this channel is a partnership with OTE TV in Greece who launched a Greek Cinema channel not too long ago?! Hopefully it airs a mix of old and new films including some Stathi Psalti comedies. :P

I did not know about the change, now that Mega Cosmos bit the dust Antenna is coming out with a new channel to get some costumers from Home2us.

DKSat

HellasHab, i have send you a P/M

Edited by DKSat

Now their latest venture is a Greek movie channel which sounds great in theory but might not be so great in practice.  This channel better have a huge inventory of films, otherwise it will fail IMO, just like the other channels before it.  ANT1 Satellite has been airing the same 5-10 movies over and over again since they first started airing films- GET SOME MORE MOVIES!!

I think you hit the nail on the head. This channel's success will depend on its catalog of movies. No one wants to watch the same movies over and over again. Hopefully ANT1 is smart about it.

I did not know about the change, now that Mega Cosmos bit the dust Antenna is coming out with a new channel to get some costumers from Home2us.

DKSat

Well it is a very smart move on their part to offer a channel like this in a package of that price point, and in my opinion Ellas TV is now at a further disadvantage compared to Dish's package. :box: In order to get a similar channel from them, you have to subscribe to their highest package which is more than double the price. (Correct me if I am wrong.) Edited by Grk101

The Greek Cinema is not part off Antenna Group, this is something new that Dish Network did.

DKSat

Interesting, hopefully this means that they have access to a large selection of films- if they want the channel to succeed then they will have to acquire the rights to many films not just air the same 8 or 9 movies like Antenna Satellite does. It looks like someone read my suggestions as according to the description of the channel it will air both classic Greek films and more recent releases:

Greek Cinema is the first 24-hour-a-day Greek movie channel in the US, offering non-stop all top classic and newly released Greek movies.

Posted Image

You can tell by the bland logo that this is not from ANT1, looks like another Dish original channel. They have probably partnered up with someone in Greece to operate this channel and program it for them. My German TV & My German TV+ are two other such channels that Dish has created- they are operated by some company in Switzerland. It will be interesting to see what kind of films it airs, hopefully the Dish subs on here will give us an update?!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Just to update the info in this thread,

This channel has now applied to be added to the approved list here in Canada, they have partnered up with Odyssey TV to launch the channel here.  Thanks to the application they submitted, I was finally able to find a website for this service: http://www.thegreekcinema.com

There is not much information there but from the photos I see that they do appear to have movies from famed Finos Films.  Anyone know if they air any more recent movies as all the photos are from old black and white films?!  I would like to see some vengos & stathi psaltis comedies as well as more contemporary films. 

Hopefully at some point they update the site to add a schedule or at least a list of films they have the rights to so people know what airs on the channel.

• 1 year later...

Slightly confussed hear?

I can't comment on Dish as I don't sub to the Greek Channels, but on Fibe TV Bell has had a Greek Cinema Channell for sometime now although it now has the OTN logo over it.

I don't think Bell or one the othert providers ever offered ANT 1 Prime, I know OTN has programming from ANT 1 on its own channel.

Stil no word on 4E & RIK Sat be approved or not or any sighn of Star International on Bell Fibew?

Slightly confussed hear?

I can't comment on Dish as I don't sub to the Greek Channels, but on Fibe TV Bell has had a Greek Cinema Channell for sometime now although it now has the OTN logo over it.

I don't think Bell or one the othert providers ever offered ANT 1 Prime, I know OTN has programming from ANT 1 on its own channel.

When Greek Cinema Channel launched on Dish, it took over ANT1 Prime's channel. ANT1 Prime ceased to broadcast in favor of Greek Cinema Channel. They are in no way related, other than the fact that it took over it's channel number on Dish. Greek Cinema Channel seems to be controlled by Attiki Ekdoseis from Greece.

So if I reading your post correctly the Greek Cinema Channel on Dish is the same channel presently on Bell SAT & Fibe called Greek Cinema(no 'channel' name in the channels name listing) which was added a good 6+months now.

So I'm not sure if there two Greek Cinema channels or just one?

• 5 months later...