Phantis Forums

Is Heinze another Mellberg?

Kanadezos

Heinze has been reported to be very close to signing with the team.

http://www.sport-fm.gr/article/570515

He is 34 years old (one year younger than Mellberg) and he has played for the Argentinian national team and played with many big clubs. I personally like him and I think he would be a good pick up since Mellberg left and Avraam is gone for quite a few more months. He could help Siovas, Manolas and Papazoglou develop with his experience.

Any thought/feedbacks?

very solid player, with a good history and good name. however, HE IS NOT A NATURAL CB. he is a converted CB bc he is physically unable to play the wings anymore.

he is not nearly as solid of a signing as olof, especially since mellberg was made for the position but i think he would still be relatively successful in greece. melberg is kind of like a fine wine. he has stayed at the same level and arguably even gotten better as he has gotten older, can we say the same for heinze, who had a mediocre at best season with roma last year?

i dont think the question is 'will he succeed' i think the real question is 'is he worth the money?' or 'is this a good investment?' is the potential "relative success" worth the contract that oly will pay him? will he be as useful and work as hard as a younger less known player with a smaller contract? or two/three of those type signings?

whoever thinks olympiakos is immune to the financial crisis and that marinakis has enough personal wealth to carry a team at very high yearly expenses, is unfortunately mistaken. tides are turning in greek football, olympiakos has done a decent job at filling the roster with young greek talent, but sometimes its better to take a step back and not shell out million dollar contracts for players that will only last a year or two.

its time to completely change the mentality of "lets sign a mid 30 something year old player for a year or two that will be costing us acouple million. " we are not russia or the middle east. we cannot sustain such a mentality, that is obvious.

the signing of siovas, manolas and vlachodimos for me, are much better signings and MUCH better investment than heinze.

very solid player, with a good history and good name. however, HE IS NOT A NATURAL CB. he is a converted CB bc he is physically unable to play the wings anymore.

he is not nearly as solid of a signing as olof, especially since mellberg was made for the position but i think he would still be relatively successful in greece. melberg is kind of like a fine wine. he has stayed at the same level and arguably even gotten better as he has gotten older, can we say the same for heinze, who had a mediocre at best season with roma last year?

i dont think the question is 'will he succeed' i think the real question is 'is he worth the money?' or 'is this a good investment?' is the potential "relative success" worth the contract that oly will pay him? will he be as useful and work as hard as a younger less known player with a smaller contract? or two/three of those type signings?

whoever thinks olympiakos is immune to the financial crisis and that marinakis has enough personal wealth to carry a team at very high yearly expenses, is unfortunately mistaken. tides are turning in greek football, olympiakos has done a decent job at filling the roster with young greek talent, but sometimes its better to take a step back and not shell out million dollar contracts for players that will only last a year or two.

its time to completely change the mentality of "lets sign a mid 30 something year old player for a year or two that will be costing us acouple million. " we are not russia or the middle east. we cannot sustain such a mentality, that is obvious.

the signing of siovas, manolas and vlachodimos for me, are much better signings and MUCH better investment than heinze.

Good analysis pao123.

Personally I was hoping Mellberg would stay for one more year, especially since Avraam got injured... I'm not sure what he (Olof) is thinking, other than more $$$ but I did read somewhere that Mellberg was considering retirement, kind of hard to believe. I suppose he felt insulted when after last season playing very well, the team wanted to cut his salary if he were to sign again for another year.

Heinze in all honesty, would do well I believe, but he would be pricey and he probably wouldn't be as good as was Mellberg.

I know maybe I should start another topic but does anyone have any info on this Kanou? Is he good?

How about Masado?

Archived