Phantis Forums

Summer 2012--Transfers & other news

athinaios

I thought of starting a topic to discuss the developments within PAO. This is the first time in a long while that so much is unclear about everything.

We're losing players and the budge is going to be extremely low, limiting our options, but even with spending $200 million (a figure I can't confirm but it's often mentioned) in the last few years, PAO hasn't much to show for.

So, what's your take on the current situation?

Anyone know when the CL draw is taking place?

a new panathinaikos team will emerge. we are on the brink of a new beginning at the club. hopefully the new management and ideas will be successful, there is no way back, like the model or not, alafouzos is the only one who successfully built a business plan for the team. someone had to rally the troops and step up for the history of the club. i dont want to hear paramythia about the princes anymore, it is too late. the club needed action. i am happy that at least someone did SOMETHING.

with this means many changes, including the players. players have left. ninis is off to parma, simao is in china under ten cate and kante has returned to france. rudolf is gone, cleyton has gone to turkey and bjarsmyr is a free agent. of the players that have SURELY left, i am most upset about simao. our new model would fit him as he would be a young rock in the midfield.

sarriegi and spyropoulo are in potential talks of renewal. karagouni, katsourani, boumsong and leto have all been asked to lower their contract demands. kara will and should stay and something tells me so will boumsong, which would be great. leto will not leave bc no one will buy him now that he needs a fairly major surgery. we cannot count on him as he probably wont be fit until after the winter, if that. i doubt quincy would stay as we probably wont have the money to meet his demands.

luckily, we can also say goodbye to dead weight like melissi, leontiou, plessi and hopefully giourka.

as far as signing players go. we will barely see anything. cheap, young players and players from our youth team, mixed with some experienced greeks and a small contingency of foreigners. actually, it doesnt sound bad. this is a chance for us to bring forward some great greek talent, which we certainly have in our youth teams. it will take acouple years to see the results, but i think it could be positive in the long run. ferreira is also great with young talent and will certainly be ultra-important to the cause.

lagos and mavrias have signed contract extensions, as will fourlano and kapino. other golden team players like fafouti, marinaki, doni, kousidi and triantafyllopoulo are also expected to sign professional contracts. we are close to picking up a 22-yr old greek-kiwi named barbarousis and there have been more talks of signing andre pinto, a 22-yr old CB from porto.

im interested to see how the team unfolds. its will be a long road ahead for us pao fans and we must understand the need to be patient. true loyalty shows most during the hard times.

I sincerely hope alafouzos plan comes to fruition. i would be willing to put my own money where my mouth is, as long as the right systems are put in place, to ensure the clubs survival.

At this point the playing roster is less important as opposed to laying the right foundation to give financial stability to the club.

xouxoumis (left back) from our youth team signed a 3 year contract today

http://www.leoforos.gr/article/42897/anako...eke-o-houhoumes

as did centre back marinakis

http://www.leoforos.gr/article/42894/upegr...pse-o-marinakes

barbarousis was also presented today on a one year loan.

http://www.gazzetta.gr/podosfairo/article/...ABmparmpa%C2%BB

donis was called in to discuss his contract but there was no agreement yet. hopefully we dont lose him, he appears to be a very good talent.

wouldn't it be interesting if this team does better with young & unknown players and small fraction of the budget of previous years?!

Is Donis related to the Donis we know? I was surprised to see Ferreira stay and not get Donis for a coach.

I read that Leto's problem is worse. One operation already and one more to follow, which means next season is out for him.

I wish him well but does anyone know whether PAO has any insurance on such events? I know in the US teams have this kind of insurance if a player that costs so much gets injured. I think Leto was the highest paid player and for 1.5 yrs he won't be able to play (half last season, whole next season).

apparently 20-year old ibrahim sissoko, a right winger from wolfsburg is signing with us on loan for a year.

dont know him. ferreira watched him when he was at academica before transfering to wolfsburg last winter for 1.5M. he only featured in acouple matches for them but sounds like a raw talent. hopefully ferreira can help shape him a bit.

young player, talented, cheap and eager to play and learn...seems like a move with little risk and how we will be shaping the team. i dont mind the model, as long as we make the right moves. i dont want to see him signed on loan, do a good job and then not sign permanently with us.

we will be in for alot of these types of signings, so we need to be patient.

sissoko passed the medical and pinto came to greece tonight. both are expected to sign today/tomorrow. pinto will be important as i see him paired with boumsong as our didimo. hopefully the sissoko gamble pays off.

the team is shaping up.

karagounis and katsourani are close to agreeing new contracts with lower salaries.

spyropoulo is about to sign a new contract for 3 years earning 250K the first, 275K the second and 300K the third

leto will apparently agree to a lower salary for the year as well.

reports indicate we are close to agreeing a loan extension for quincy as well, as we were able to lower his and his clubs demands.

we have officially signed sissoko on loan from wolfsburg for a year on loan with the possibility of extending the loan another year.

we have also picked up pape sow, a CDM who will take simaos place. he played for academica last year and was reportedly on braga and sportings wish list. another gamble, but hopefully it will pay out. his contract is low and has signed for 3 years.

http://www.leoforos.gr/article/43213/epise...e-so-kai-sisoko

we are finishing up the andre pinto deal which should see us owning around 70% of his rights for 400K.

reports also indicate we are close to picking up jose velasquez, a 21-year old venezuelan CB. dont know much about him but he was playing on loan from villareal in venezuela and already has about a dozen caps for the NT. my argentine friend has informed me he is considered a huge talent out of latin america.

all we REALLY need now is another striker and i see our transfer season ending there with acouple more youth players signing pro contracts. i like that we are making our moves quickly so that the team has AMPLE time to prepare together, as a whole, for our CL qualifiers.

also, the eldest of the DONI brothers, christo, has signed his first professional contract with us for 3 years. however, his youngest brother, taso, is on the verge of signing for juventus. as much as i hate to see the young talent go, it is too good of an opportunity to turn down. based on FIFA rules we should be seeing a least 300K for that transfer.

velasquez was able to break his contract ith villareal and has signed a 3-year deal with us.

http://www.leoforos.gr/article/43257/eleut...hronia-prasinos

look at the picture! i love how we replaced the nose of sarriegi with this guys!! :D

andre pinto has officially been announced as well.

a run through of who we have signed:

kostas barbarousis-winger: loan for one year with the option to buy for 1M

ibrahim sissoko-winger-loan for one year withe the option of extension for another

pape sow-centre midfielder-3 year deal-free transfer

andre pinto-centre back, 3 year deal-70% of his rights for 400K

jose velasquez-centre back-3 year deal- free transfer

and have brought up from our golden team:

diamantis xouxoumis-left back-3 year contract

christos doni-centre midfielder-3 year contract

nikos marinakis-centre back-3 year contract

nikos kousidis-centre midfielder

we have renewed (or in the process)

boumsong, karagouni, katsourani, spyropoulo, mavrias, fourlano, kapino, petropoulos, lagos.

boumsong, spyro and pinto here

http://www.sport.gr/Article/%CE%95%CE%B9%C.../24-135458.html

• 2 weeks later...

preseason in austria is now over and we have played a handful of friendlies and seen some good and not so good things.

we tied eintracht 1-1 from a goal from petropoulo, he scored again our 2-1 loss to krasnoder. we then beat a qatari team 1-0 from a goal from velasquez and then by the same score defeated fortuna 1-0.

some good news. velasquez looks a solid player, very good with the ball at his feet and distribution. he can work alot on his positional awareness, but i think he can form a good partnership with boumsong. dont really have an opinion yet of pinto, he didnt see too much time. from first glance he looks great in the air, but slow.

ferreira has naturally been trying different formations and tactics. we switched formations multiple times during the match and tried players in different positions. zeca has looked lively, both in the middle and on the wing. he is not fancy, but he gets the job done with hard work and doing the little things right.

pape so did not play bc he is still injured and sissoko took the fortuna game off. sissoko looks very raw. you can tell he is talented, but still needs a lot of work. he is quick, but misplaces a lot of passes in tight spaces and looks to struggle without open field ahead of him. he may have a tough time with alot of greek teams that close back and defend all game. boumsong will be a leader for us this year and lazaro has been doing well as a CAM. he loses the ball far too often though.

ioannidis should go, unfortunately he does not look good enough. maybe on loan somewhere. seitaridi looked good in one match and does not seem likely to break his contract with us. donis looks to be a solid player and talent, but seems like he needs some time to develop a bit more.

of the youngsters i was most impressed with xouxoumi, kousidi and lagos. lagos looks ready, once he relaxes a bit and gets acouple games, he will start taking more risks in his passing game. he runs alot and pressures well. plays easy passes and does the easy things well. him and vitolo looks solid in the midfield together. xouxoumis looks like a very good talent. is quick, tricky and has a very good left foot. i thought he was a left back, but ferriera played him forward and it suited him well. we still have players like mavria, fourlano kapino, marinakis and triandafylopoulos coming back from the euro, in which they made the final.

karagouni is going to respond to a contract in the coming days. kats is coming back. barbarousis is at the olympics. marinos has actually looked like he has improved greatly. he may be a surprise player this year for us.

he have signed bruno fornaroli. details will be out tomorrow. ferriera has spoken very good words about him. he is a forward but can also play the wings, apparently has very good feet and makes smart runs. lets see what he is like he is 24 i believe. we needed another striker toche can easily collect 12-15 goals this year, but both of our forwards have similar styles and we need to have the option to mix things up.

the quincy saga has been going on for too long. one minute we are close, then today it looks impossible. losing him would be an issue and we need someone to replace him. by the time we pick someone up, it will be far too late for them to help in the qualifier. our attack has been looking stagnant. we look to have trouble breaching the final third. we are missing that final cross, the player that with one quick move can change the play. quincy is that kind of player, and if we lose him, we are in trouble.

defensively we look pretty good. sure the tests were not that strong, but the team looks reasonably organized from the deep midfielders and back. spyropoulo signed a one year contract and must earn another, i hope we see the spyro of 2010 back.

• 2 weeks later...

What is Kara going to do now? It's with PAO that he could end his career with a possible trophy this coming season.

He wants Ferreira to sign a paper that he'll play at least 15 matches or whatever, but I can't see a coach doing that.

Ferreira said that Kara isn't part of the roster and won't speculate. It was his reaction to a question of not having Kara against the Scots is a loss..

UPDATE: Aug 02. Kara announced that he's leaving PAO.

I think when he actually retires, PAO should honor him. Same with others who left on not such a good note, like Goumas.

reports are now suggesting that quincy is very close to signing for pao, possibly even on a permanent basis. we all know what an asset he can be and we know how well he works with ferreira. im excited at potentially being able to see quincy and sissoko on the same pitch.

on the flip side, karagouni looks all but set to go. unfortunately this was not handled well, from either the managements end and karagounis end. we should have taken care of the matter quickly out of respect for the player. either sign him, or let him sign elsewhere. on the players side, you cannot ask the manager to sign a clause guarenteeing playing time. you also dont go making public statements on radio when you are still speaking with management. i want him to stay only out of respect for him, close his career with us, play when needed. he can still be a useful player.

its sad how these things arent taken care of properly.

if we dont re sign kara, we need to pick up a midfielder.

Archived