Phantis Forums

UBI World TV in Voluntary Administration

Looks like history is repeating, didn't these guys go through a bankruptcy previously when they were operating a company called Tarbs (I think that was the name)?! This service looked quite pricey to me, I wonder if that has anything to do with them going under (not enough subscribers to pay the high prices they charged to make the service viable)?!

As for the channel selection, get used to it because the way things are going in Greece, I think ANT1 & ERT are going to be the only channels left after the dust settles. ERT as the state broadcaster and ANT1 because it is in the best shape financially of all the private networks.

Wow, what unfortunate news for all the Greeks in Australia. Any word on what brought them to this? Did their buyout of Selectv last year hurt them maybe, or was this a long time coming?

From the link you posted, Liski seems to imply that it's not all lost for UBI yet. Hopefully someone saves them and they continue operating.

Lets not be so negative yes the management/owners are most likely to blame to what has happened but remember there are real people working at this company who are going to be out of work if the company collapses completly

Liski,

Hope everything works out for UBI , employes and customers. Running a DTH satellite platform i very expensive, if there is no new customer growth and revenue coming in then there is a problem.

Regards,

DKSat

• 3 weeks later...

All channels on UBI Intelsat 8 are now off air this includes all Greek channels coming up as no signal as the satellite signal has been switched off.

RIP UBI

Note : This also includes ERT World as UBI where the ones broadcasting it FTA here in Australia so this is no longer available either hopefully Globecast come back on board and broadcast ERT FTA again....

That is out of date

ERT World was encrypted by World Media who run that channel on that frequency a day after UBI went into Administration...

It's still on Optus D2 on the UBI frequency FTA but who knows how long that will last with there signal on IS8 being cut today.

would be good if your website worked.....

But anyway all the best with it but most greeks I know won't be bothering with Greek Pay TV anymore they have been burnt to many times now and have had enough...

TARBS World TV 1995-2004

UBI World TV 2004-2012

SelecTV 2005-2011

3 Companies with Greek channels all 3 failed and Bankrupt I myself will not be bothering with any Greek TV for the time being will most likely just get ERT FTA or get Ant1 with World Media aswell as World Media has been the only company to be consistant and around the longest without any problems for Greek and Foxtel and Optus TV also who have bee consistent with having Ant1 for yearrrsss.

BTW the situation with broadband in Australia is alot different to North America and i doubt yiayia and papou will have broadband and thats who these channels are marketed to.

Thank you for the information and the concerns about Greek TV in Australia

We are in the process testing & running 4 data centers in Australia with excellent bandwith, partnering up with different internet providers that will service and be able deploy there internet connection from there data lines to our fiber backbone.

Australia is a big market, We realize they are behind in technology, and they are used to satellite, but times have changed and so will the people slowly, but we are very successful in other countries, and we will do our best to make sure The Greek Australians receive the signal flawless ....

Time will tell ...

As far as the website

The Australian Website is not up yet ....

We are looking for a soft launch in August 2012

For further information visit our main website

www.ellastv.gr or www.ellastv.tv

Thank you and were looking forward to providing Greek IPTV in Australia

IPTV is a non issue for most folks because of the data caps that internet providers are imposing on customers as well as the fact that this technology is still years away from being on the same level as the traditional distribution mediums like cable and satellite. I am not sure if bandwidth caps have been implemented in Australia but here in Canada and the USA its way too expensive to sign up for these services because you need to have unlimited internet and that type of package will set you back over 50-60 bucks a month (at minimum). Add to that the cost of the IPTV package as well as equipment which most of these fly-by-night IPTV services force you to purchase outright and the end result is you will be paying through the nose just to watch some poor quality Greek channels.

Isn't it interesting that the only channels still broadcasting in Australia are ERT World & ANT1 Satellite- the same two channels that I said would be the only ones left after the SHTF in Greece and the dust settles. I predict that the media landscape in Greece will look dramatically different in a few years time and even if some other channels survive they will most likely shut down their international service due to the high costs involved and concentrate instead on the domestic market in Greece. It would be interesting to know if any of the channels that operate an international feed actually make a profit and if so how much?!

The future for the Greek channels and International channels is IPTV, it cost to much to broadcast international channels over the satellite.

Ling to the new Dish Network IPTV serves www.dishworldiptv.com.

Withing a year 80% of the Greek channels that are now broadcasting internationally on satellite will only be available thru IPTV.

DKSat

All channels on UBI Intelsat 8 are now off air this includes all Greek channels coming up as no signal as the satellite signal has been switched off.

RIP UBI

What a shame they were not able to make it work. :( Interesting quote from their website though, specifically the last part: "The Receivers and managers are engaged in efforts to dispose of UBI assets that may result in the provision of future channel and broadcast services to subscribers."

Australia here we come .....

www.ellastv.com.au

Funny how both their US and Australian launches came after a satellite disruption of the Greek channels. Guess they see their opportunities. What was the point of posting the website link though when it is not up yet?

IPTV is a non issue for most folks because of the data caps that internet providers are imposing on customers

I know that's my biggest concern with my ISP. Does anyone know for sure how much Ellas TV uses if say hypothetically it was running 24/7 for a month? I see through the link Kolossos posted in the first post that the Ellas TV rep mentions 400 mb. That seems awfully unrealistic since other video streaming is way more, and the users in that thread seem to agree. For example, Netflix themselves claim 1GB per hour of SD content streamed.

It would be interesting to know if any of the channels that operate an international feed actually make a profit and if so how much?!

I would believe there was some profit, or else it wouldn't be worth it for most of these channels to have an international feed.

Withing a year 80% of the Greek channels that are now

Ling to the new Dish Network IPTV serves www.dishworldiptv.com.

Is this a new service as their channel offerings pale in comparison to what Dish currently offers via satellite. Also, I see no Greek package on there, is that perhaps because ANT1 & ERT have not agreed to have their channels distributed in this manner?!

It seems DKSat knows something we don't know again! Interesting comment. I would be hesitant if we are only left with Ellas TV to view most of the channels.

He is probably referring to the channels distributed by Greek Media Group, they will probably only be available via IPTV (EllasTV) soon while ANT1 & ERT will be the only channels available via satellite through Dish in the US and World Media in Australia. Those two channels are still strong enough IMO to be able to cover the costs of satellite transmission as ANT1 is very well known having been the first Greek channel to broadcast internationally and ERT is popular with older folks and also airs soccer.

The only way I can see for this IPTV to work is if these companies partner up with an ISP to offer a special unlimited internet package without any bandwidth caps bundled together with the IPTV service. This way people can watch as much as they want without having to be afraid of going over their limit and paying through the nose in extra charges.

Archived