Phantis Forums

The new coach

Guest TheLegend

Next year in the CL  will be quite interesting as we should expect at least getting through the group stage.

We won't, I guarantee you that!
I agree it's going to be very difficult, still this should be the minimum expected.

The new coach (probably after having a chat with Ivic) has decided to change the formation to 4-4-2, i.e. just one defensive midfielder.

Sounds naive to try changing the way we play in a week. Pleasing Kokkalis seems to be priority number one at the moment.

Some articles implied that Kokkalis was very unhappy with Lemonis after disagreements they had over contract renewals (Kovasevic?) and transfers (Torosidis?).

Stupid move. Extremely stupid move. We win every year, we have a good chance to win it all again this year and we actually did something in the CL. Lemonis didn't deserve this. Why can't we keep a coach? Does Kokkali think this is what's gonna get us past PAO. A PAO team that is young and with less talent than us or AEK and is a couple years away from being a great team, is set to win the Greek Championship? What is going on in Greek football?

I dont see how pao is that far off. Grant it we do have a few , and i stress a FEW players that arent as good as a few OLY players. Lua lua galetti and Belluschi all have class. Ivan is the best LM in greece but would prob be better as a CAM. Our Dline is on par or BEtter then olys. Our DM`s Mattos Simao and tziolis are just as good or better then Mendrino, stolitids and Ledesma. You have Kova up front. Pao has Salpi, Manucho and postiga. In net Pao have the upper hand as Galinovic is 30 and is having an awesome year. Nikpolidis is 36 and has maybe one year left. I agree that pao is young and inexperenced but considering we lack some talent in a few players as opposed to Oly, pao is doing an awesome job being 4 points in front of oly and AEK. at least, on the field. forget on paper.

Everyone is saying that pao is a bad team and is playing horrible football.. Yet such a young bad team have managed to get 4 points more than the much more experienced , supposed more talented players that oly has.

I think PAO is overachieving. They have a young team and are only gonna get better, but I was thinking they would struggle this year and in a couple years dominate. Esp. if Ninis develops.

Guest TheLegend

Stupid move. Extremely stupid move. We win every year, we have a good chance to win it all again this year and we actually did something in the CL. Lemonis didn't deserve this. Why can't we keep a coach? Does Kokkali think this is what's gonna get us past PAO. A PAO team that is young and with less talent than us or AEK and is a couple years away from being a great team, is set to win the Greek Championship? What is going on in Greek football?

Did you read what you just wrote? Maybe not leme tell you what you just said.

"We have a good chance of winning it this year". Newsflash, Lemonis was fired because WE DONT.

Lemonis' fking up in the SL has left the team needing to WIN EVERY SINGLE GAME and PAO to drop points... Meanwhile we have the MUCH harder schedule.

Just cuz he did good in the CL doesnt mean a job is guaranteed. CL is different than the league. How bout this. We keep lemonis another 2 years but never reach the CL again cuz he plays such defensive tactics even against veria.

Legend, we are one back of PAO. I do consider that a good chance. However, you make some great points about Lemonis's defensive tactics in games where we need to open it up. But CL success, is something we haven't seen in Peiraia. Your comments are good though, and I actually now think this wasn't that horrible a decision. Still not sure if it was the right one.

it was a stupid move period!

omonoia is right, lemon aka lemonis brought you guys some success in Europe by advancing into the second stage of the CL, (something that oly hasnt done since 98?) you guys are favourites for the cup and only 1 point behind Pao (which is nothing when you have 6 games left) in the league..

Oly hasnt lost anything and if you do lose it, its going to be because of Kokali's over-raction in firing lemon at this stage of the year where oly are in the thick of things.

Look i personally dont think lemon was a good coach for you guys but you guys should have waited till the end of the season.. Who are you going to get now anyways??

answer is................... no one

so what was the point in getting rid of him now if you havent got a replacement already lined up to step in and guide the team...

you chances of winning the League with Lemon still incharge was 50/50

Now that Lemon is gone 70/30

stupid stupid move; but ill take it :)

I personally think it was the players (70-30) that had a great run in the cl and in the greek cup so far. Lemonis had great money and great players to start with after selling castillo. He only kept things in order. the reason i would not fire him at this stage is because he was calm, quiet, and presented himself as a good coach. With Lua Lua and galletti getting injured, the draws and the losses made him look really bad. With ledesma domi bravo patsa and pretty much everyone getting injured during the season,this made him look bad, which was not takis fault

Bad move : yes

If you are going to fire a coach fire him at the end of a season

Bad choise. This is the exact same scenario as fabio capello at madrid. He would win games but he was not good enough because he played too defensive and didnt play attractive enough football. Thats the same in Lemonis place. Olympiakos are a big greek club and winning 1-0, 2-1 isnt good enough for Kokalis in the greek league. He wants more bigger wins. We really need to play attacking football in greece to win games, and the league. I think its bad that we fired him at this point in the season. Wait till the end if your gonna do it. That just ruined alot of chesmistry if you no what I mean? Lets see this new guy, he MUST be good because he DOESNT come from greece.

Btw i bet Kokalis has a huge target in mind. He wouldnt fire lemonis without a good backup play.

Guest TheLegend

Anyone think Im onto something when he also did this to send a message to players who salaries double the top paid salaries on pao and aek (half our team)

Maybe hes also doing this to show them that he doesnt take anything cuz all the players also take things really lightly in some league games...and then the defensive tactics doesnt help much either...

If you go back, you will find my post when Lemonis was hired. I was in favor of his hire (compared it to Kyrastas and PAO) and seeing Olympiakos this year I thought he did a good job transitioning to all the new and expensive players.

He made several mistakes. Firstly, I think he did not have the experience so he did not prepare the team well for playing continuously the whole year. It was evident in the beginning of the season that Olympiakos did not work their endurance during the summer (you'll find a post of mine from last October or so stating my theory - and being ridiculed :)

I think this was a huge strategic bludner. The team looks deflated now, and the players can barely finish 90 minutes of game. This includes Galleti who was two speeds above everyone else in the first half of the season, but could barely lift his legs after 60' in the last couple of months or so.

Lemonis also made tactical errors, mostly beeing overly cautious in games when he should have not. But all coaches do that.

Overall, I thought he did a good job, and I am sure he would have prepared the team differently for next season, but he'll never get the chance.

Was it the wrong move to fire him now? I think so. As much as I disliked him (I started disliking him back when he played for Oly next to Anastopoulos) I don't think he deserved to be sucked in such a way. He showed class on several occasions, and I thought he did a good job managing a team of multi-milionares.

Kokalis exhibited typical "Greek boss" mentality: "When I get mad, I start swinging". Firing people is always easier than trying to find creative solutions, being patient, and planning for more than a couple of months ahead.

On the other hand, this championship is all but gone for Olympiakos. I think Kokalis wanted to shock the system as a last resort. I know many think there are still so many games left and nothing is over (which might be true), but those of us who have been watching Greek football for a long time (Kokalis a little longer than me) can read the signs.

The stakes are high. Olympiakos is in danger of playing quilifiers for CL in July, which means they have to prepare for the season in June, and with many players in Austria this summer, the next season is also in jeopardy.

i wonder now how mr kok feels about firing Lemonis basically sayin that oly lost the title to Pao because of him??

i knew he over-reacted and guess what pao slipped up and oly r now first, what a wanker kokalis is, if oly maintain the lead and win the league u know this year would go down as one of the most successfull years in oly history thanks to lemon...

win the league and the cup and go to the last 16 in the CL... What more did he want?

Edited by KAKIA-SINITHIA

Guest TheLegend

The way thigns were going the league wasnt happening so it doesnt matter... he took corrective action. No one here can say things are going well... Segura is the same crap but hell be gone over the summer... The new coach needs to be able to play attacking score lots of goals and be able to play ocasionaly defensive.

i wonder now how mr kok feels about firing Lemonis basically sayin that oly lost the title to Pao because of him??

i knew he over-reacted and guess what pao slipped up and oly r now first, what a wanker kokalis is, if oly maintain the lead and win the league u know this year would go down as one of the most successfull years in oly history thanks to lemon...

win the league and the cup and go to the last 16 in the CL... What more did he want?

Pes ta re file, pes ta!

The way thigns were going the league wasnt happening so it doesnt matter... he took corrective action. No one here can say things are going well... Segura is the same crap but hell be gone over the summer... The new coach needs to be able to play attacking score lots of goals and be able to play ocasionaly defensive.

You're asking wayyy to much. If you want that, it isn't a new coach we need, it's a new squad! Lemoni did a great job with what he's got.

Tell me, if what you want is attacking football and a domination of the league, what was wrong with Sollied?

I tell you what everyone this weekends game w/ Levadiakos is going to be a tough one,... Leva plays tough at home and this year their record is 6wins, 2draws and 4 losses. We all know how Olympiacos record is playing away so lets see what this "new coach" is going to do to change that..... :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

• 2 months later...

Well that is a good move from Oly but now the question is how long will he stay there? Not how long is the contract but how long is Kokalis going to keep him there!

Well that is a good move from Oly but now the question is how long will he stay there? Not how long is the contract but how long is Kokalis going to keep him there!

The guy is hoping to spend xmas in greece :P

The greeks want success in 6 months :tdown:

Lets give this guy a fair go and we might all suprise ourselves :LOL: :LOL: