Phantis Forums

The new coach

Guest TheLegend

Guest TheLegend

I think we need to seriously replace our WHOLE coaching staff.. we have good players and with a great coach this team cant actualy beat the multi million dollar teams like Chelsea...

Btw: I just saw Mourinho, he said that next team he takes over he hopes to play Chelsea in the CL and "kill them". Lol he actualy said that. I really think Kokalis needs to also throw money to get a top class coach as well....LETS GET MOURINHO HES ONLY $15M PER YEAR! :tup:

The guy gets the team to the last 16 of Europe's most prestigious club tournament by bringing in a winning mentality, they are favorites to win the greek cup and are one point adrift from first. Funny, I thought only Panathinaikos singed a lot of Argentineans, fired their coaches for inexplicable reasons and did well in the champions league? Someone should tell Kokkalis that by going green they meant becoming environmentally friendly.

The guy gets the team to the last 16 of Europe's most prestigious club tournament by bringing in a winning mentality, they are favorites to win the greek cup and are one point adrift from first. Funny, I thought only Panathinaikos singed a lot of Argentineans, fired their coaches for inexplicable reasons and did well in the champions league? Someone should tell Kokkalis that by going green they meant becoming environmentally friendly.

It wasnt Lemonis who led the CL run, it was galletti lua lua kovacevic stoltidis etc Taki in my opinion didnt do much, he just led the attack and made our counter attack stronger at first, but then it fell apart.

I would get rid of him at the end of the season, but i guess kokkali wants the championship really bad.

It's Official (in English):

PIRAEUS, Greece (AFP) - Greek defending champions Olympiakos Piraeus announced Tuesday the release of coach Takis Lemonis from his duties and his replacement with assistant Jose Segura for the remaining six matches of the season.

Olympiakos were knocked out of the last 16 of the Champions League by Chelsea last week and are currently second in the league, one point behind rivals Panathinaikos.

Lemonis, 48, has coached Olympiakos twice, from 2000 to 2003 and then after returning in 2006 led the club to two league titles.

This is ridiculous and yet a further sad reflection on the pathetic state of Greek football. Fo4 god sake Olympiakos actually did something in Europe this year and is still in the hunt for the Greek championship. Kokkalis is destroying the team. Shame.

Idiotic move. Not that Lemonis is a great coach, but for God's sake, let him finish the season.

With the possible exception of Fenerbache (and MAYBE Schalke), every other team left in the CL 16 was head and shoulders better than Olympiakos.

What did Kokkalis expect, to advance past Chelsea with Portsmouth, Real Sociedad, and Atletico Madrid rejects?

Just another example of a president looking to cover his ass and shift blame to saomeone else.

i disagree that lemonis had nothing to do with the cl success this season.

He changed the philosophy of the way oly plays in europe.

He used pao`s philosophy. stay back on d and counter. He realized that oly cant compete in europe by playing there 4-3-3 like they did in recent years. Sollied tried it and got rattled.

Pao has been playing that way for years. A basic defensive style 5-3-2 with one of the DMs dropping back as the 3rd CB when needed.

Mattos did it this year in copenhagen and simao did it wonderfully in Atletico. You cant expect teams like oly and pao to play open and compete in europe.

The typical `tsoukou tsoukou goal`philosophy which pao perfected over the years was the reason OLY did well this season. Lemonis made that happen. His only real mistake is that he continued using that system in greece, even in karaiskaki against the smaller teams. instead of opening it up to playing say a 4-2-4 or 4-3-3.

Too bad though. he was funny in his interviews, well some of them, and he was a pure gavro. we will see him next year in the super league with my guess is a team liek KAlithea or inonikos if they get promoted or maybe as a replacement for a team like LArisa if Donis comes to pao.

very silly decision to sack lemonis with 6 games remaining and only 1 point behind first... they were definately title contenders.

but with the assistant taking over.. olympiakos will slip up.. kokkalis should have wait it out..

now the coach will try different things from Lemonis and all the players will have to adapt to the coaches game plans and play different to how theyre used to.. unfortunately for you guys = this does not take a couple training sessions to do so..

Olympiakos winning title with Lemonis as coach = 45% chance

Olympiakos winning title with Lemonis sacked = 10% chance

I can't say much either.. Pao changes coaches like they change their vrakia and i am not a fan of Peseiros decisions although we are top.. but to sack a coach 6 games from season end with 1 point in it is not smart at all..

i disagree that lemonis had nothing to do with the cl success this season.

He changed the philosophy of the way oly plays in europe.

He used pao`s philosophy. stay back on d and counter. He realized that oly cant compete in europe by playing there 4-3-3 like they did in recent years. Sollied tried it and got rattled.

Pao has been playing that way for years. A basic defensive style 5-3-2 with one of the DMs dropping back as the 3rd CB when needed.

Mattos did it this year in copenhagen and simao did it wonderfully in Atletico. You cant expect teams like oly and pao to play open and compete in europe.

The typical `tsoukou tsoukou goal`philosophy which pao perfected over the years was the reason OLY did well this season. Lemonis made that happen. His only real mistake is that he continued using that system in greece, even in karaiskaki against the smaller teams. instead of opening it up to playing say a 4-2-4 or 4-3-3.

Too bad though. he was funny in his interviews, well some of them, and he was a pure gavro. we will see him next year in the super league with my guess is a team liek KAlithea or inonikos if they get promoted or maybe as a replacement for a team like LArisa if Donis comes to pao.

I agree with you, in that his defensive (counter-attack) style worked very well in Europe. However, in Greece he seemed to be very afraid to risk playing a more open attack game (like a 4-3-3). Look at the away games record (difficult in winning on the road) and how hard it has been for the team to score this season compared to previous ones (a lot of 1-0 scores).

Lemonis defensive style was good in Europe and Sollied's offensive style was good in Greece.

Anyway, I thought firing Lemonis now is wrong (wait till the end of season at the very least) just like the firing of Ferrer in AEK and the Brazilian coach (Campos?) from Asteras Tripolis... It's just unbelievable, the timing of these firings etc.

Now I don't know much of his replacement, Segouro (not sure of spelling) and what style he plays, but regardless, it will be difficult for him to mold the team to play a certain (different) style, this late in the season, imho.

The only good reason that Lemonis should have been fired would be if Oly had already a big name as a coach. Otherwise, it's not a very good move. It's unrealistic to expect a coach to win the domestic title and by up be several points this late in the season every year.

This unwise move also sets the tone for anyone who's thinking of coming to coach Oly. I mean, by any standard why should a coach do that unless it's a STEP UP for him (rather unknown and coming from a lesser team)? The team played some great games in the CL, lost to Chelsea in England, is in the hunt for the domestic title and the favorite to win the cup! If this not a successful season, or if this is how Kokalis sees a bad year, then only a fool would agree to coach gavroi..... Constantly being under threat of being fired, and before the end of the season!

I don't think Lemonis made gavroi into a great team, but he used what players he had (and their ability) to do a good job. I also think Kokalis is very ungreatful to Lemonis, and if Lemonis ever comes back he'd have no self-respect either.

This is ridiculous and yet a further sad reflection on the pathetic state of Greek football. Fo4 god sake Olympiakos actually did something in Europe this year and is still in the hunt for the Greek championship. Kokkalis is destroying the team. Shame.

Somebody give this dude a present because it's the perfect post. I'll refrain from commenting further on the topic because I'm so livid about it I'll only end up filling the board with profanities.

Last 16 of the CL (i.e. as far as Real Madrid, Milan, Inter, & Sevilla), and 1 point behind PAO in the hunt for the title and he gets sacked...

KOKKALI :tup:

P.S. I pray PAO win the league!

This is another dissapointing decision by Kokkalis.

He couldn't stand somebody else getting the credit for the good performances in the champions league.

We'll have to wait and see what's the effect on the team.

Next year in the CL will be quite interesting as we should expect at least getting through the group stage.

In all honesty, I would not fire Takis.

I also thought he would be crap but I saw him very much down to earth and serious this time around, and I think that he would do an even better job had he stayed.

HOWEVER, enough with the hypocricy! ...

Kokkalis and all of us know that Olympiakos won in Hraklis and home against Aris(at least ... because there are other examples... ) OFF the pitch

So depite me also believeing that this was a rong and unfair decision... this was, by no means a thunder on a sunny day (as we say in Greece) ....

:not: