Phantis Forums

PAO at its worst moment in history

athinaios

Personally, I've lost interest in the league but my emotional connection to Panathinaikos remains. The club has sunk so low so fast, though the problems aren't new. Many are to blame; you can vent your frustration here if you like.

But, I would like to discuss with you guys that may have a closer look what can be done now? What is possible under the dire circumstances?

I wouldn't want to see gavroi or AEK through this. It was sad that AEK lost its home many years ago and went through (still is) the dark ages. Same for Oly many years ago that had a period of insolvency and a crappy team.

Anyway, as it is now, PAO won't play in Europe next year (at any level), many players will leave, there's no management, and some shareholders behave like little brats.

Your thoughts?....

This is a real shame that Panathinaikos is going through this... I have read newspapers etc. but what is the real reason this is happening?

It sounds to me that it's Vardinogiannis who is causing this nightmare...

Why can't he just sell his shares and let some other ambitious owner(s) take over? Obviously there is animosity with Vgenopoulos... I understand that the Giannakopoulos brothers have the basketball team and probably aren't interested for majority ownership... Where is Patera?... What happened with Tsaka and his Saudi Arabian Prince(s)?

As much as I'm an Olympiakos supporter, I honestly don't wish Pao or AEK do go through this... We need strong Greek teams. We need a strong Greek League, where we can develop future soccer players and have our teams advance in the Champions League and/or Europa League.

I hope this will get resolved soon and Tzigger sells and the team, so that they will be able to turn the page and start fresh.

I have not commented recently but trying to get back into. The game is quite simple as 11v11 but if Pana want to get back to being a powerhouse things have to change.

The danger is now Greece rather than having a 3 team league, went to 2 teams and now 1. Similar to Scotland if Rangers cannot be saved. I am even sure most diehard Olympiakos even though they hate us and are laughing now deep down this is also bad for them as they need teams like Pana, AEK and PAOK to be strong together with likes of Aris, OFI and Xanthi. It just seems weird the Pana basketball team having been so dominant in Greece like Olympiakos are in football but at least there is competition.

I just happened to read a yearbook with the team of 2002 that took Barcelona so close to elimination in Champions League. I believe there needs to be a total clean out with the likes of Karagounis, Katsouranis being past their use by dates. The problem is where do they go from here to usurp Olympiakos.

The answer is difficult but a leave could be taken out of Cypriot club football which in the past was laughed at. But now look at them, if you put say 4-6 of their teams in the Greek league now they would probably be all in the top half.

I am wondering who is the talent scout in Pana at the moment. They need to develop a squad of youth and experience but look to what clubs like Cypriot clubs are doing.

There are players there but they just need to make clever signings not signings just for the sake of filling the roster.

And, I would hire Donis to be the manager, provided he is not intefered with. I had asked for Donis years ago, as a Greek who knows the reality of the league and is a old Panatha.

Agreed if someone like Donis comes across would be good. Never understood why in reality we have not found a striker since Warzcyha. I know he is coach at Egaleo but surely he is one that could tap into the talent in Poland and other countries. I am not sure if anyone remembers but when he was signed by Panathinaikos everyone was saying who..I remember because I was in Greece at the time. But what a signing he turned out to be.

Realistically Greece will never be able to pay the prices for top talent plus the league does not want warrant. However there are plenty of players through clever signings would play however success does not happen overnight and that right people have to be at the helm.

What is exactly the issue on the stadium (GHPEL) that Bardinogiannis and Vgenopoulos can't agree on?

From what I read, I gathered that Bardinogiannis is willing to give up his PAO stocks for free, but

Vgenopoulos does not take them, because he claims that there is a catch: Bwbos (who was the potential builder of the new stadium in Elaiwnas-Botanikos) may bring PAO to court to request compensation for the failure of the stadium building project. And Vgenopoulos claims that the failure of the project is due to bad handling by Bardinogiannis, so Bardinogiannis should take over this responsibility and not whoever gets the stocks of PAO.

But how likely is that Bwbos will win big charges over PAO?

And what bad handling did Bardinogiannis do about the stadium building?

Tzigger has been a disaster for the club. Never, ever before there in its 100+ year history there was such a draught of titles. Since the 1980s, PAO was looking for a new, modern home. Yes, Tzigger may have not been responsible for all ills, but he was the captain. A spoiled rich brat who thought he could play with owing a soccer club.

Vgeno is another small-minded Greek, who is unfit to be a leader of a club. Maybe he can be successful in his business, like any dictator in his own shop. That's not what a club is.

The main reason for the veterans' efforts failing was Vgeno. Even with Tzigger without any shares, V was abnoxious, kept coming up with excuses. The corp for building the new stadium should not be the obstacle given the dire circumstanes now.

We had that ridiculous Tsakas since Oct bullshitting but how different is he than the rest of the big owners?

Only 3 years ago we were hoping that PAO would be transformed into a modern, healthy, very competitive club. There isn't any worst time in its history. Even during WW2 it wasn't as bad because all the teams (GR & Europe) were suffering.

The Greek league is the best example and a reflection of the ills of Greek society. And, they can't argue that Merkel or foreigners destroyed it. No excuses.

Agreed, the fun of winning the Greek league is minimal. If other teams are good, we're forced to be good. The better all our teams are, the better Greek clubs do in Europe.

Good posts but unfortunate. I wouldn't wish this on ANY of the teams because like

what has already been pointed out, a strong competitive league is one where you have all the teams competing for the top spot, not just 2 or 3. Whats a shame is the fact that we could have been in a totally different place right now - this didn't

have to happen. But it did because of mismanagement. The fans should take some form of action but the bottom line is we need new ownership that knows what its doing. All the stuff below that, like keeping this guy, selling that guy won't solve our

long term problems. Hopefully we'll rise from the ashes!

• 2 months later...

today opened up the symmaxia---430 member have joined and we have collected around 1.2 million. lets hope this keeps up, we need all the help we can get. i myself will be registering. i think of other ways i spend acouple grand and would rather put it to something that is actually important to me. i encourage every other fan to do the same

http://www.paomprosta.gr/

go to the website, donate, whatever you can afford to do. its a wonderful thing, everyone unifying for a cause in whatever way they can, even if its just acouple bucks.

Archived