Phantis Forums

ERT World removed from Home2US

From their site:

http://home2us.com/b2c/content/notices

Important Information for Greek viewers:

Letter sent on behalf of TITAN.  Contact: 1-800-360-7526

Dear Greek Customer,

First and foremost, we at Titan TV Inc appreciate you as our customer and we thank you for your business. Since September 2011, we have been bringing ERT, MEGA and other high quality Greek and Cypriot TV channels to you through our distribution agreement with Home2US Communications, Inc. via its SES-1 satellite platform.

Unfortunately, this notice is to inform you that the Management of ERT has decided to terminate its distribution agreement with Titan TV recently and as a result, we are unable to extend the same rights to Home2US Communications and will have to cease the satellite distribution of ERT on Home2US platform by March 26, 2012.

We do not agree with this decision as we firmly believe that ERT World should be available for all Greek people abroad and on all the major platforms that will carry the channel. Home2US wants to continue the carriage of ERT World and provide you with our national channel, however, we cannot due to an irrational decision made by the governmental officials in Greece.

Titan TV held ERT World

Here we go again,

A month of so ago DKSat posted that Greek Media Group had been awarded the North American rights for ERT World. Now it appears as though things have changed once again and apparently they no longer have the rights?! Can't say this is surprising news considering the current state of affairs in Greece where things change from one instant to the next. I wonder if Dish Network has any involvement with this, I assume ERT World will remain on Dish?!

This move is a serious blow to the Greek package on Home2US IMO. They need to find a way to lure Alpha Sat over to their service as there is no other channel (I don't see ANT1 moving) they can add that will help maintain and/or increase subscriptions. I think they need to switch gears and focus on expanding distribution of their most valuable asset- MEGA Cosmos. It is not available on Comcast, Time Warner Cable, Brighthouse Networks or Verizon FiOS. I think they will make more money from MEGA Cosmos subscriptions (if it was widely available) then they are from this Home2US venture.

I never thought (or believed) ERT would leave DISH as many here claimed. It made no sense for them to leave the successful platform for yet another MEGA experiment, I said that a thousand times. But I agree that they should be available on cable--their lack of cable options makes no sense as well.

Ah. I wasn't aware that there was a new guy in charge- does that mean the banker is out as PM?! This is getting to be a joke with ERT, does this mean when elections are held and another 'new' government takes charge that they will change things again?! I wonder why anyone would bid for the distribution rights knowing that they may lose them in a few months when more changes happen after the election?! I guess ERT World subs are in for a wild ride until things finally settle down in Greece- if they ever do!? ;)

With ND looking like the front runners so far to win the elections in May, I wonder how much sway the ND voulefti that has been complaining about ERT will have. I also wonder what his true interests actually are. If I recall correctly he was very much in support of the flawed Comart deal.

Anyone know if Home2US have updated their packages due to the loss of ERT World?! Their website is a mess, they still list ERT a la carte and for the various packages they have removed the ERT World logo but have not adjusted the prices?! :blink:

I also noticed they still list Alter Globe, I thought this channel shut down a while ago?! This company is a joke, do they not have a full-time tech person working for them- how hard is it to make some minor updates to the website?! Inaccurate and out of date info, great service they have there, that will help bring in customers. :rolleyes:

From my understanding they are trying to "source additional Greek channels" to make up for the removal. It will be interesting to see what they come up with. On the web front, their whole website needs a refresh urgently IMO. It looks so outdated even if it had all the correct information. I bet the look hasn't changed since the company was launched. :rolleyes: But to be fair, it took Dish like 3 months to add Alpha to their packages on their site and they are a much bigger company. :hypocrite:

From the looks of things I just hope that whatever happens MEGA is not affected by this.

If someone was behind this from the Dish side it had to have been ANT1. Anyway, I don't see either ANT1 or ALPHA going anywhere so the best Home2Us can hope for is to keep MEGA and STAR and offer the two channels in a package.

I aggre Home2Us is a joke. Tech support is non existant.

I never thought (or believed) ERT would leave DISH as many here claimed. It made no sense for them to leave the successful platform for yet another MEGA experiment, I said that a thousand times. But I agree that they should be available on cable--their lack of cable options makes no sense as well.

I agree. I even said the same thing. Its like Coca Cola to pull all their products from Walmart and only sell them through a local party store. Home2us probably won't have any Greek channels within 2 years. They should all go back to dish where the customer base is. Very few people have the energy and patience to chase Greek channels around the various satellite companies that nobody knew even existed.

According to the GMG all 4 remaining channels, MEGA,STAR,RIK and GMTV are offered with $32.00. Before May or so two new channels, 4E (a religious channel) and Channel9 (which by the way has live streaming on the web) will be also offered with the price of $34.00 or so.

Channel 9

4E

4E fills a religious and documentary niche, but Channel 9?? I'm not familiar with their programing, but it doesn't seem promising. The only interesting thing I see is that this channel is backed by Dimitris Kontominas. Add this development to that fact that Kontominas does not have the best relations with Ant1, I think there is a chance Home2US can lure Alpha in the future.

Edit:

Looking online, there was a rumor last month that Makis Triantafyllopoulos and Kostas Hardavellas were close to a deal to buy or manage Channel 9, and that other "unsigned" TV talent could also end up there. There have been no updates on the subject since then though.

4E fills a religious and documentary niche, but Channel 9?? I'm not familiar with their programing, but it doesn't seem promising. The only interesting thing I see is that this channel is backed by Dimitris Kontominas. Add this development to that fact that Kontominas does not have the best relations with Ant1, I think there is a chance Home2US can lure Alpha in the future.

Edit:

Looking online, there was a rumor last month that Makis Triantafyllopoulos and Kostas Hardavellas were close to a deal to buy or manage Channel 9, and that other "unsigned" TV talent could also end up there. There have been no updates on the subject since then though.

But it goes back to my example. If Pepsi doesn't have a good relation with coke, why would they pull out of Walmart and start selling exclusively to the local party store. It makes absolutely no sense to go on home2us if you want to establish a viewer base greater than 5 people.

Like with most dealings in Greece, it is about the friends you have. DKSat has hinted that it may be like that with GMG and Alpha, but who knows for sure. Only the future will show. We also don

I agree.  I even said the same thing.  Its like Coca Cola to pull all their products from Walmart and only sell them through a local party store.  Home2us probably won't have any Greek channels within 2 years.  They should all go back to dish where the customer base is.  Very few people have the energy and patience to chase Greek channels around the various satellite companies that nobody knew even existed.

Amen to that!

I see no mention of this Channel 9 on the Home2US website, is that coming later or have plans changed?! Why don't they look into adding Skai, it's a national network and has better programming than this Ch. 9 which appears to be some local station available only in the Athens area?!

These guys are screwed IMO, even with these channels they are supposedly going to add, the package they are offering is still crap. MEGA is the only quality channel and it's available a la carte so how many are going to sign up for the package?! I think this service will eventually shut down due to lack of subscribers, especially now that ERT World is gone.

Both 4E and Channel 9 were supposed to be added by next month, and as 4E was added already I would assume Channel 9 is on its way. I personally don't see much value in this Channel 9 either, but who knows. There was talk late last year that Kontominas was building a team to completely revamp it, but that was before he bought back Alpha. Now there is that new story from last month that it might be sold to or managed by Makis Triantafyllopoulos and Kostas Hardavellas and that other unsigned talent may find its way over there. According to what GMG told addynia, the channel is supposed to have similar programming as Alter. I doubt its current programing relates though, so who knows what it's future will be??

I completely agree with you about Skai. Why bother with Channel 9 when Skai is a far superior alternative. It baffles me as to why it hasn't launched internationally on ANY platform yet. Are the owners against it for some reason or something?? Surely there is interest for it.

Archived