Phantis Forums

Greece - Romania

Genome

I can't believe we didn't use this opportunity to give Chiotis a chance. I'm really against what Santos has done.. Giannoulis? Kapino? Maniatis at centre back? What a waste of a friendly! We should only be playing the first XI and the periphery players to try and finalize who the squad will be.

Pot 1

Poland (will be in Group A)

Spain

Holland

Ukraine (will be in Group D)

Pot 2

Germany

Italy

England

Russia

Pot 3:

Greece

Sweden

Croatia

Portugal

Pot 4:

Denmark

France

Ireland

Czech Rep

The absolute nightmare group would be

Spain

Germany

Greece

France

Ideally I'd want

Poland

Russia

Greece

Czech Rep

I'd also hate to draw England because we always struggle with their style, needless to say drawing France in pot 4 wouldn't be ideal either

we needed this....dont put much into the loss, other than how small your margin of error is at this level...tournament is way off, so now si the time to play these inexperienced players and see what you have....

our guys had no interest in this game...none...is that a good thing? another issue all together. you would like to see them approach every game professionally and with max effort but that does not happen....

so much of this game is positioning and reading the play before it develops....left side defense was woeful...

need three good strong friendlies leading up to tournament with, as euro says, main guys with periphery sprinkled in....this game might as well have not been played

i dont get it?? the kid is 17? he is still a schoolboy!!!! why do we choose to criticize him so greatly at such a young age and in a friendly?? why are we so quick to judge him instead of being excited and open to a new star gk in the making?? what is with this mentality i dont understand, people are even blaming him for the goals that werent his fault...

was he really suppose to save the second and third goals?? the third was 99% defense and the 2nd was a vollitha that im sure chiotis or tzorva or whoever would have had trouble stopping...the 1 st yes, he was beaten close corner but whats with all this negativity im hearing? how do we expect to rear this kid properly when everyone is bitching about a 17 year old?? and why is everyone bitching at the gk when our defense looked completely nonexistant!!! he is young and inexpereinced, but football players especially young ones, improve by making mistakes and learning from them...

yes, he is not ready for the NT side yet, hell he is not even ready to be starting at pao but whats a better plan, to play a 34 year old keeper where he will only possibly play in the next tournament, or give a 17 year talented young kid the opportunity to gain some experience that will be valuable for hopefully a 15-20 year career??

i understand euros view of getting chiotis some time but the facts are as follows...when sifakis comes back, chiotis will be dropped to the 3rd/4th choice, he has obviously not pressured santos enough to warrant a starting spot, we will not see him in euros, so why "try" him out now...these matches are meant to test younger players and play around with different positions...im fine with giannoulis and kapino being called up, these matches are the right ones for those players to get time and to see if they respond positively in order to see whether they have a future with the NT, there is no future in a 34 yr old keeper...besides, i dont rate chiotis more than tzorva or sifaki although i, like euro, would like to see him getting some time, i can see why it does not make sense at this point in time....

i just dont understand the attitude and mentality...i dont understand when i hear oly fans laughing saying "tha faei alla 4 to savvato" this is all ridiculous and probably why we have so much trouble bringing up good youth.....

as far as the match goes, i dont see international friendlies as a chance to simply win matches, it is a chance for the manager to switch things up, use different players. around 8-9 of the starting 11 for us is basically set, the question is now who can the manager bring in to help the squad beyond that...the only way for him to know, is to test things out, in my opinion it is better to do these sorts of things in these friendlies then in a major tournament...to be honest, i dont look at this result too seriously, it taught us some things, like who is ready for the NT, who isnt, who works well in what positions and which combination of players are compatible and which arent...the team needs some tweaking and that is what santos i believe is doing...this is what everyone critized rehhagel for not doing, now everyone is criticizing santos for doing it?? it just seems rather silly to me...we lost, we played poorly, we learned alot and we move on...

i dont get it?? the kid is 17? he is still a schoolboy!!!! why do we choose to criticize him so greatly at such a young age and in a friendly?? why are we so quick to judge him instead of being excited and open to a new star gk in the making?? what is with this mentality i dont understand, people are even blaming him for the goals that werent his fault...

was he really suppose to save the second and third goals?? the third was 99% defense and the 2nd was a vollitha that im sure chiotis or tzorva or whoever would have had trouble stopping...the 1 st yes, he was beaten close corner but whats with all this negativity im hearing? how do we expect to rear this kid properly when everyone is bitching about a 17 year old?? and why is everyone bitching at the gk when our defense looked completely nonexistant!!! he is young and inexpereinced, but football players especially young ones, improve by making mistakes and learning from them...

yes, he is not ready for the NT side yet, hell he is not even ready to be starting at pao but whats a better plan, to play a 34 year old keeper where he will only possibly play in the next tournament, or give a 17 year talented young kid the opportunity to gain some experience that will be valuable for hopefully a 15-20 year career??

i understand euros view of getting chiotis some time but the facts are as follows...when sifakis comes back, chiotis will be dropped to the 3rd/4th choice, he has obviously not pressured santos enough to warrant a starting spot, we will not see him in euros, so why "try" him out now...these matches are meant to test younger players and play around with different positions...im fine with giannoulis and kapino being called up, these matches are the right ones for those players to get time and to see if they respond positively in order to see whether they have a future with the NT, there is no future in a 34 yr old keeper...besides, i dont rate chiotis more than tzorva or sifaki although i, like euro, would like to see him getting some time, i can see why it does not make sense at this point in time....

i just dont understand the attitude and mentality...i dont understand when i hear oly fans laughing saying "tha faei alla 4 to savvato" this is all ridiculous and probably why we have so much trouble bringing up good youth.....

as far as the match goes, i dont see international friendlies as a chance to simply win matches, it is a chance for the manager to switch things up, use different players. around 8-9 of the starting 11 for us is basically set, the question is now who can the manager bring in to help the squad beyond that...the only way for him to know, is to test things out, in my opinion it is better to do these sorts of things in these friendlies then in a major tournament...to be honest, i dont look at this result too seriously, it taught us some things, like who is ready for the NT, who isnt, who works well in what positions and which combination of players are compatible and which arent...the team needs some tweaking and that is what santos i believe is doing...this is what everyone critized rehhagel for not doing, now everyone is criticizing santos for doing it?? it just seems rather silly to me...we lost, we played poorly, we learned alot and we move on...

I'm not criticising him, i'm criticizing Santos. Kapino might end up being the best goalkeeper in the world, who knows? but there's the small matter of the European Championships coming up so we need to be preparing for that now, not considering the long-term post-euros future. We consider that future during qualifiers or friendlies during the qualification campaign. The fact is we're going to play merely a couple games more (if that) before we announce the squad and this is the time to establish who will be in the squad. Once that's happened we test a couple of systems with those players. We can assume that Sifakis will be our number 1 keeper, who will be number 2? Tzorvas is unrelieable, Chiotis has been superb for APOEL both domestically and in Europe but we have no idea whether he'd fit into the national team set up, and taking Kapino would be silly.

Left back, who is our starting left back? Spyropoulos is appalling but experienced. We have no idea what sort of condition Tzavellas will be in or how he'll cope against top class opposition because he's a little slow. Holembas is being touted to start despite only playing 1 game and Zaradoukas, who has been absolutely superb, helping us get to the euros, might not even be in the squad if media reports are to be believed. So why on earth are we trying out Giannoulis?? For what purporse? I mean let's say he was sensational against Romania, would that have made him first choice at the Euros? Would it even earn him a place in the squad? No, so what's the point?

The best teams play together for years, they learn eachother's style of play, they move as a unit, etc. We don't have the luxury of wasting limited time to try players like Kapino and Giannoulis!

no no, i was not saying YOU were criticizing him, or really anyone here for that matter (probably more because participation in this forum has been rather..low recently :D ) i was just speaking of the general vision fans had of kapino after the match yesterday..probably all from oly fans as well...

tzorva is a better keeper than chioti, i disagree with you there, he has had a fine season so far in italy and has more intl experience, is in good form. chiotis may have had acouple good years in cyprus and a handful of good games in europe, but before that he was always considered a mediocre at best gk, unable to play in a bigger league...yes the cyrpiot league has improved greatly but is still lower than greek league, which does not say too much.

tzavellas and zaradouka are both better and more qualified than giannoulis but who knows, zaradouka will probably get no time at oly and tzavellas may not play the whole year.. who knows if giannoulis can help us? while at iraklis he was a top prospect and as of RIGHT this moment, is in better form than all our possible left backs with the excpetion of holebas...spyro has been poor, zaradouka hasnt played all year, tzavellas is out..so why not call up the kid and see if he can help?? or if he is ready to help?? will it really hurt the flow of our NT if he plays one 90 min? what if all of those guy are injured and we will need a player like giannoulis to fill in, even as a sub, its better he has a bit of expereince under his belt then throwing into the deep end...

santos had his one big test vs russia, played with a starting 11 that will probably be very similar to whom we'll see in euros so he could get them working together and solidify the "first" team ..he then had the romania match to test out different things...i actually really like what he is thinking and the direction he is going...rehhagel always frustrated bc he never called up new players, we never got any fresh blood, which eventually hurt us in the longer run...

Archived