Phantis Forums

APOEL vs Zenit

Euro2004

Zenit St Petersburg lost 4-2 at Lokomotiv Moscow, despite being 0-2 up at half time, ahead of Tuesday game with APOEL! Lazovic and Bukharov were their scorers.

For those that aren't familiar with Zenit, they play very attractive open football, using the width well with their marauding wing backs, Anyukov and Criscito. Zenit have scored 12 goals in their last 3 games but their open play does mean that they like to dominate possession and they can be a little vulnerable at the back at times. One centre back is former AEK & Porto defender Bruno Alves who has all the physical attributes to be world class, but his positional sense isn't always great. While his centre back partner Lombaerts isn't great. Zyrianov and Danny are too very competant play makers while Denisov is an experienced holding midfield. Lazovic is a constant thorn with his drifting around from forward to the flanks. Arguably their star man is Kerzhakov though. He has 13 goals in 19 games!

APOEL will need to control the tempo by playing their usual short passing game. If the pitch is slow like it was against Wisla APOEL can be competitive. Zenit are a very good team though so I'm not too optimistic. I see a 1-2 win for Zenit.

I'm sure many of you will remember that Zenit beat AEK Athens 4-2 and 0-3 last season so we're talking about an excellent attacking team, capable of tearing any Hellenic team if they are on form and our boys aren't.

APOEL

22 Chiotis(GK)

3 Paulo Jorge

6 Oliveira

7 Poursaitidis

26 Morais

98 Boaventura

21 Manduca

23 Pinto(Captain)

81 Marcinho

8 Ailton

11 Trickovski

BENCH

88 Kissas(GK)

5 Jahic

10 Charalambidis

20 Adorno

29 Alexandrou

77 Solomou

9 Solari

Manager: Ivan Jovanovic(SRB_

ZENIT ST. PETERSBURG

16 Malafeev(GK)

2 Anyukov(Captain)

3 Alves

4 Criscito

6 Lombaerts

14 Hubocan

15 Shirokov

18 Zyryanov

27 Denisov

10 Danny

11 Kerzhakov

BENCH

30 Zhevnov(GK)

24 Lukovic

17 Rosina

20 Fayzulin

23 Huszti

8 Lazovic

9 Bukharov

Manager: Luciano Spalletti(ITA)

FULL TIME: 2-1.

Zenit went down to 10 men after APOEL were winning 2-1 but they still pushed forward and hit the post. So APEOL were a little lucky, but to beat a team of Zenit's calibre is amazing. Zenit are top of the Russian league and would probably beat any Greek team, so this is superb. APOEL played brilliant football and deserved the win

Easy to think so. Olympiakos also hadn't played yet, so I think that hurt.

To be honest it's hopeful to pretend that tonight was a one off for Olympiakos. I mean last season a basketball team knocked them out. The year before Anorthosis knocked them out. When APOEL were here last time they were in the toughest possible group. Chelsea (CL contenders), Porto, Atletico Madrid (who went on to win the Europa League). This Olympiakos team wouldn't score a goal in that group let alone do as well as APOEL.

APOEL drew at Stamford Bridge and against Atletico twice and nobody beat them by more than one goal. Apart from reputation there's nothing to suggest Olympiakos are better. APOEL have done better in Europe in recent years, they play better quality football and they are a team.

I think overall the Cypriot clubs play more like teams. Omonoia were unlucky to not go through, AEK Larnaca look at them, Anorthosi not too long ago were doing some great things. Cypriot football is on the rise and the Greek game is on the decline and has been for a few years now.

I think overall the Cypriot clubs play more like teams. Omonoia were unlucky to not go through, AEK Larnaca look at them, Anorthosi not too long ago were doing some great things. Cypriot football is on the rise and the Greek game is on the decline and has been for a few years now.

Yeah but playing as a team is a skill in itself. Look at Bruno Alves as an example of a centre back that has all the attributes. He's big, strong, fast, and is technically gifted for a defender. In that respect he's better than Ricardo Cavalho in every respect, but Cavalho is a better defender because he has better positional sense and reads the game better. In other words he's a better team player. So the ability to fit into a team is a skill in itself.

Besides man for man Olympiakos isn't necessarily better than APOEL anyway.

Chiotis vs Constanzo: I'd take Chiotis

Torosidis vs Poursaitidis: Torosidis.

Holebas vs Boaventura: equal.

Mellberg vs Oliveira: Mellberg.

Avraam vs Paolo Jorge: Jorge

Makoun vs Nuno Morais: Makoun

David Fuster vs Marcinho: Fuster

Yeste vs Trichovski: Trichovski

Abdoun vs Manduca: Manduca

Mirallas vs Pinto : Mirallas

Djebbour vs Ailton : possibly equal

5-4 to Olympiakos. Big deal. It's not like Olympiakos are better in every department individually speaking, whereas APOEL is better in every department as a unit. Better defensive unit, better midfield unit too. If APOEL played Olympiakos over two legs I know who my money would be on

i had to reply to the last comment od djebour being equal to ailton?? wht the f has djebour done in the last two years..how many goals has he scored in europe ailton has like 6 this year.. apoel has 3 points olympiacos has a koolori!!! i was at this game today Apoel have something special enough with the m*****es olympiacos has big problems europe looks like a bust for them this year... and irlandos solomou and alexandrou came on there greek cypriot too....we have a deep bench thats why some of these players cant crack the sqaud.. our captain charalambides my name sake has to sit on the bench because he doesnt have a place in the eleven right now...this is a great fighting for a spot....anyhow kalinixta

i had to reply to the last comment od djebour being equal to ailton?? wht the f has djebour done in the last two years..how many goals has he scored in europe ailton has like 6 this year.. apoel has 3 points olympiacos has a koolori!!! i was at this game today Apoel have something special enough with the m*****es olympiacos has big problems europe looks like a bust for them this year... and irlandos solomou and alexandrou came on there greek cypriot too....we have a deep bench thats why some of these players cant crack the sqaud.. our captain charalambides my name sake has to sit on the bench because he doesnt have a place in the eleven right now...this is a great fighting for a spot....anyhow kalinixta

I wouldn't argue with u to be honest. There is an argument to be made that Ailton is better, that's exactly the point i'm making that Cypriot football has advanced. I can't believe how bad PAOK just looked against Tottenham's 3rd team. APOEL would have beaten them

Archived