Phantis Forums

New Club Ownership

athinaios

After more that 3 decades, the Vardinoyannis family is calling it quits. Tzigger got to be the king maker because the V. family controlls a majority of the shares.

Now he says that's over, and he surrendered all the stocks and will never be part of the club again.

I think there are 2 eras of the V. family. The first with the "captain" who took PAO through the 1980s and part of 90s to great heights. Tzigger, in my mind, has been the worst failure of any past owner. No time before PAO had so few titles in the span of decades.

I read his interview and sounded reasonable, but obviously we know what has happened under his leadership... not good. He couldn't even build a new home for PAO... something that has cost the club points, success, and money.

So, what do you think? The Giannakopoulos bros would have been great but they're on the way out too. Vgenopoulos, in my opinion, shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the club. Pateras is a questionmark.

One thing for sure, the club will not make money this season and is in the red for many, many millions $. Reports say that there's enough money only until the end of this year for the club to pay its obligations (salaries, rents, etc). There won't be enough revenues between now and then, so only an infusion of capital by an investor can provide a solution. The team has suffered because of this managerial instability, but can you image what would happed if nobody got paid past December?...

UPDATE: Today newspapers are saying that PAO's deficit is about $30 million.

Deficit 2011-12

I guess no one is interested in this. Vgeno had his press conference and accused Tzigger of all sorts of things, and may make a move to take over the club.

As we've suspected, the Votanikos stadium isn't going to be built. In my mind, this is perhaps the worst crime in PAO's history. That a club like PAO doesn't have a proper home for decades now. This has meant lost money and a better performance. Karaiskaki is indeed a proper football home and I'm sure gavroi have gotten a few more points every season because of this.

Vgeno is backing out... the way I read his 5 demands from Tzigger. What a flopper.

As for Votanikos, it's been, what, 10 years and not one brick has been laid down.... not one bucket of earth has been dug up yet....

If I was to collect the announcements over the last 5 years about the project "is ready to start"... I would need the whole Phantis site to fill. :whistle:

I've been a severe critic of Tzigger and wanted him to leave years ago, as PAO has had the worst drought in the club's history.

However, Tzigger has done what he was supposed to right now. I never trusted Vgeno---he plays the "mangas" with big words but no substance. He was not serious when he said he wanted to lead the club, which means put in $$$.

Basically, he's asking Tzigger to say publically he was a "m#$%!s." If you really want to take the club into the future, this is not necessary, but you do it only for the other side to reject it, for you to have an "excuse" and do nothing.

It's Bullsh*t.

We need a Giannakopoulos type of an owner. As for a group of big shots (polymetohiko) it doesn't work in Greece.

apparently Sultan bin Nasser Al-Saud is ready to make a 220 million euro claim as the majority shareholder of pao. the offer has apparently been made in writing and will be considered by vardinogianni. according to reports he will be in greece in october to discuss the proposal...

apparently the family want to begin to invest in greece and will make the construction of a new stadium their priority as they are involved in developing and construction. his roposal includes an increase in capital of 20 million in the winter, a 50 million euro budget for transfers in the summer and 150 million euro for the stadium project...

i meet this with mixed reaction for the obvious reasons. lets see what develops...

The more I think about it, the more I think it's fake. Who's this guy who delivered the letter and looks like a non-serious person? If a very wealthy person is truly interested, he wouldn't create this circus and wouldn't deliver his proposal this way. I don't know, it's fishy to me...

Sounds like those Nigerian princes who send you emails to partner with them and give you lots of money... all you have to do is given them your bank account so they can transfer the money! [those in the US know what I'm talking about... everyone has gotten such emails] :LOL:

The more I think about it, the more I think it's fake. Who's this guy who delivered the letter and looks like a non-serious person? If a very wealthy person is truly interested, he wouldn't create this circus and wouldn't deliver his proposal this way. I don't know, it's fishy to me...

Sounds like those Nigerian princes who send you emails to partner with them and give you lots of money... all you have to do is given them your bank account so they can transfer the money! [those in the US know what I'm talking about... everyone has gotten such emails] :LOL:

you read my mind somehow... :nw:

will they build the mosque near the airport that has been pushed for years at the same time?

This is actually a very interesting point! Of course building a mosque might not literally be his aim but many people buy clubs for publicity, to exert political influence, etc. Having seen a few people with questionnable motives buy clubs in the UK in recent years I feel very sceptical about this.

Athinaios someone called me once with a heavy African accent telling me I'd won some sort of lottery and I had to part with my personal banking details too. Obviously, I immediately knew what was going on but I decided to see where this goes. I said "wow are you serious? But i don't even play the lottery". His response was "you were automatically entered via your telephone number". I said "oh ok great". So I gave him the following details:

name: James Bond

bank: Doyouthinkimstupid

account number: 007007007

Sort code: 00-70-007

His reponse?

"You're sort code is 1 number too long" :rolleyes:

This is actually a very interesting point! Of course building a mosque might not literally be his aim but many people buy clubs for publicity, to exert political influence, etc. Having seen a few people with questionnable motives buy clubs in the UK in recent years I feel very sceptical about this.

Athinaios someone called me once with a heavy African accent telling me I'd won some sort of lottery and I had to part with my personal banking details too. Obviously, I immediately knew what was going on but I decided to see where this goes. I said "wow are you serious? But i don't even play the lottery". His response was "you were automatically entered via your telephone number". I said "oh ok great". So I gave him the following details:

His reponse?

"You're sort code is 1 number too long" :rolleyes:

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I just received a text message myself saying I won the MEGA LOTTERY (!), and was due

so apparently tsakas (who is the mystery 40 something year old man from kavala who somehow be-friended a 26 year prince) released a "biography" and "statement" with a "picture" (heavily photoshopped) of the prince (with no signature mind you) stating his intentions to take over panathinaikos.

hour by hour this continues to appear like a big....scam. i dont know who this tsakas is and I dont know why there has been no direct announcements from the "prince" or his "lawyers" about an offer, or the fact that there have been no news reports outside of what the greek mme has written..

personally, i have done a bit of research and have found NOTHING about this man, whos name appears to change slightly hour by hour...granted, there are some 5000 princes in the Saud family and the names are based on decendents and difficult to trace specifically, something is not sitting right here...

tzigger has requested the presence of himself or his lawyers to ACTUALLY discuss the "proposal". he smells the fishyness of the situation and wants something concrete.

i think this is all a big game by a player who wants to put himself into the spotlight. it might also be a ploy for vgeno and co. to show their hand..either way, i dont believe a saudi prince will be taking over pao and that soon enough this will all blow over...we will see...

Hahaha.

Maybe some Saudi prince will actually hear his name and then think it's a good idea to "buy cheap" in Greece. Besides, there are so many princes, maybe they got them confused.. :LOL:

Actually, Tzigger would love to sell to someone other than Vgeno.

Btw, the emails I've gotten over the years go like, ...the owner of this account is dead and no relatives could be traced, and the gov will take all this money soon. If you help me get it out of the country I'll give you half of the $127,987, 200 (make up an odd big number in the millions). So, I can certify that you're his relative.

[ :P Trust me, even though we never met, even though I'm proposing a forgery...I'm telling you the truth!]

Hey call me crazy but if I had 220K euros to play with, I would have hired either a top notch sports agent/negotiator or at least the hottest local model...

to represent my interests.

First Arab magazine cover showing skin!!! :tup:

If that is the best they got, so be it.

Not my favorite, but better than Tsakas...

Posted Image

Who knows maybe he had never seen "Mr Tsakas" before the media photos ;)

Has anyone established the connection between the "agent Tsaka" and the Prince?

This reminds me a little of the classic Finos Film movie:

"H arhontissa ki o alitis (1968) " Vougiouklaki/Papamixail! :LOL:

Do we have to change to Panjeddahikos?

PEACE

His reponse?

"You're sort code is 1 number too long"  :rolleyes:

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I just received a text message myself saying I won the MEGA LOTTERY (!), and was due

Anyone but Vgeno... this guy is a baffoon. It reminds me of Kokalis <_< or Psomiadis :nono:

Anyway, today I read that the there's another serious buyer a British company is pushing.

One big priority should be to build a new home for the club. Many millions of euros are lost every year (up to 40$ mil) because PAO doesn't have its own home. Plus, several games could have been better for the team in a proper "edra" (a place for football not a huge and cold Olympic stadium).

Announcement:

I changed the thread's title to include discussion about the new owner(s) since it's obvious that Tzigger won't be around for long.

I don't know what this change will bring but probably won't be worse than what we're experiencing the last year.

I just hope we don't get a company like the one that bought AEK a few years ago. PAO needs someone who knows and cares about the team & the sport in general.

Archived